This recap of the action from the August 5 StarCraft II World Championship Season Qualifier is brought to you by McDonald's.
StarCraft II ANZ WCS Season 4 Qualifier Recap (Part One)
Thanks to Five Star Games and Sega be sure to enter for your chance to win a copy of Yakuza Kiwami!
Win! A Copy of Yakuza Kiwami: Steelbook Edition on PS4
Having spent several hours with the Xbox One beta, Grinding Gear Games’ Path of Exile for console is a port worth getting excited about.
Playing Path of Exile on Xbox One as a Hardcore Diablo 3 Player
Developer Volition's follow-up to the Saints Row series doesn't stray too far from the over-the-top and entertaining nature of the series.
Saturday Morning Saints - Agents of Mayhem Reviewed!
How good is late night Saturday shopping?
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
23742 posts
Aldi coles and woolies open till 8pm/9pm on Saturday!!!
09:51pm 29/07/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:51pm 29/07/17 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
12860 posts
This is why QGL needs a Facebook page.

12:29am 30/07/17 Permalink
taggs
6497 posts
Lol 9pm??!?
01:26am 30/07/17 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9465 posts
Every time I go up to Brisbane the business hours screw me over. Everything he is open til 9 on Thursday and Friday, and supermarkets are pretty much open til either 10 or 12pm every night of the week.
09:18am 30/07/17 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
23841 posts
Yeah, moving from Melbourne back to Brisbane was a shock, s*** needs to be open longer here. The Coles that was down the road from me in Port Melbourne was open till 2am, that's some late night shopping. JB hi-fi was open till 9pm every night, stuff like that made it way easier to get to shops after work, instead of everything shutting at 5 - 5:30
10:32am 30/07/17 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9466 posts
It never made sense to me that professional hours were the same as retail and hospitality hours. It's just negating hours where everyone can spend their money!
05:41pm 30/07/17 Permalink
Tanaka Khan
Brisbane, Queensland
5784 posts
Still, we've come a long way from when everything was closed on a Sunday
07:55pm 30/07/17 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
12863 posts
Remember the Sabbath Day to keep it Holy
It reminds us that we are meant to be Free

...and to claim Double Time
08:48pm 30/07/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11648 posts
When this happened 6 months ago i put a post up on my facebook as a PSA. It garnered 94 angry comments from both sides of the fence. That surprised me.

I really never expected shops being open for 93 hours a week instead of 88 would incite people into such strong opinions. I guess shops don't really mean that much to me.

Going without instant noodles or flushable wipes or cracker barrel overnight really isn't a big deal to me. Milk & bread can be had at any servo 24/7.

I have a wife who does the groceries mid-week because i run my household like it's 1959, so it's not something that really pertains to me.

I can't imagine what kind of disarray all y'alls lives must be like where it's a big deal to be able to get your woolies mud cake at 6:43pm on a saturday night.
08:51pm 30/07/17 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
23744 posts
if you want tee vee snacks to binge watch a tv series at 7pm saturday night, that right there is a mini crisis.

need some steaks for a last minute bbq? duck on down! f***en brilliant
08:58pm 30/07/17 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9468 posts
I also just learned that Chadstone is open until 9pm on Saturday and 7pm on Sunday. Yikes.
10:02am 31/07/17 Permalink
BladeRunner
Queensland
2737 posts
Speaking of the woolies mud cake, that f***** has been getting smaller recently. Used to be larger.
11:33am 31/07/17 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21317 posts

flushable wipes

on a completed unrelated note but flushable wipes are indeed not flushable, water authorities spend millions fixing pump stations due to "flushable" wipes

https://www.urbanutilities.com.au/newsroom/articles/b/5/d/2/5/consumer-warning-flushable-wipes-clogging-sewer-pipes
12:46pm 01/08/17 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
9473 posts
So why are they allowed to be sold as 'flushable' - especially in Australia where laws are stricter on false and misleading claims?
01:35pm 01/08/17 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21318 posts

funnily enough as i was looking for the QUU page that i had remembered seeing i found this:

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/manufacturing/accc-takes-action-over-flushable-wipes/news-story/4901228416651a420330e08cefd9c3d8

02:01pm 01/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39098 posts
Just order stuff from Amazon and they'll bring it to you
08:35pm 01/08/17 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
23745 posts
chicken dippers?
09:36pm 01/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39099 posts
Like these things? Looks like they are on Prime Now so I can order them and someone will bring them in 2 hours (min delivery amount 20 pounds tho). Or I can pay a bit more and get them in one hour.

edit: it is ridiculous
09:54pm 01/08/17 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
25956 posts
How much is the delivery fee for one hour?
10:07pm 01/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39100 posts
How much is the delivery fee for one hour?
" 1-hour delivery in select postcodes for £6.99. "

I've never used the one hour delivery - I've only used Prime Now for buying rum and I can (usually) wait 2 hours for it to arrive :D
10:59pm 01/08/17 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
25958 posts
So it's 3am.

There's a rumble in my stomach.

I can just order s*** and it will be there in an hour?
11:01pm 01/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39101 posts
nah it's available "only" until 10pm :( London is weirdly not much of a late night city in general outside of a few specific things.
11:11pm 01/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4246 posts
there's a 24hr Woolies over at DFO

those Wesfarmers, dependable.
04:31am 02/08/17 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
757 posts
I have a wife who does the groceries mid-week because i run my household like it's 1959, so it's not something that really pertains to me.
So close, you're so close to realising the world does not revolve around you.

"Got mine, f*** you."
05:51pm 02/08/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11651 posts
How about I purposely choose options in life to try and reduce frustration? I hate the modern JIT-style implementation of life, so I choose to pretend that shops and other services can't be relied upon. This way I insulate myself from being let down when they're not open or out of stock or inclement weather or car trouble or whatever.

I'm fine, not because it's all about me, but because i refuse to be s*** at life and be wholly dependent on increasingly late night community services.
06:08pm 02/08/17 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
23746 posts
there's a 24hr Woolies over at DFO

those Wesfarmers, dependable.

Wesfarmers is Coles and Bunnings.
06:15pm 02/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39105 posts
How about I purposely choose options in life to try and reduce frustration? I hate the modern JIT-style implementation of life, so I choose to pretend that shops and other services can't be relied upon. This way I insulate myself from being let down when they're not open or out of stock or inclement weather or car trouble or whatever.
haha I agree with this to some degree

grumpy old man hat ON

Often when I do things with my partner (who is a classic millennial) I get totally frustrated by the JIT approach she exhibits. For example: we go travelling to a new country and she assumes we'll be able to get Internet there so she doesn't have a local copy of our hotel details or car rental or whatever, so we have to f*** around trying to get Internet before we can do anything. This drives me f*****g BONKERS because she just has this expectation that everything will just work out perfectly because of course you can just do whatever you want at any time without anything ever going wrong.

The annoying thing is she's mostly right and we haven't had any major problems (a few travel delays but nothing serious) but because I'm an eternal pessimist (realist) I am just waiting everything to go pear shaped.

Planning ahead for food is hard f*****g work though. I have always lived reasonably close to a grocery so basically never have food around.
08:01pm 02/08/17 Permalink
taggs
6499 posts
I really never expected shops being open for 93 hours a week instead of 88 would incite people into such strong opinions. I guess shops don't really mean that much to me.

Here's a radical idea: what if this isn't about your individual preferences (though congrats for being so 'unaffected by shops' I guess?) and more about whether it makes sense or is a valuable use of taxpayer resources for governments and bureaucrats to arbitrarily dictate to private businesses what times they can and can't operate.
09:12pm 02/08/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11652 posts
The annoying thing is she's mostly right and we haven't had any major problems
And that's just it. JIT is a successful approach so often that many people just go along with it. It's lazy and puts the onus of delivery on someone else, and often becomes expensive because you end up backed into a corner because of time constraints.

I still think of the internet and technology as just a nice-to-have add-on to real life. Nothing beats a paper map.

Planning ahead for food is hard f*****g work though. I have always lived reasonably close to a grocery so basically never have food around.
It is hard work and I hate it. That's one of the reasons I have a wife, so I can worry about servicing the cars & mowing the lawn & re-siliconing the shower basin while she sorts out everything kitchen related. I currently have approximately 370L of freezer space almost full of ready to go meals. Cook in batch, saves time and money. The cost to run the freezers, when solar is considered, is miniscule compared to the offset 'not running the oven every night'.

Having groceries close by is handy - i live only a few of streets away from a rather large IGA which is open over 100hrs a week. That's convenient - but nowhere near as convenient as just there in your pantry or fridge.

You know what sucks? Being at home in the evening and being exhausted from a big day and hungry because it's dinner time and you've gotta sort out some dinner with no ready to go ingredients - so you're left with the choices of dragging yourself out to the shops or making poor choices re fast food or snacking. I refuse to let that be part of my life. It's expensive and draining and demoralising.
09:38pm 02/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39106 posts
You know what sucks? Being at home in the evening and being exhausted from a big day and hungry because it's dinner time and you've gotta sort out some dinner with no ready to go ingredients - so you're left with the choices of dragging yourself out to the shops or making poor choices re fast food or snacking. I refuse to let that be part of my life. It's expensive and draining and demoralising.
I remember the pain but now I have Deliveroo and live in the city (next door to a pretty good Indian restaurant) it's not a hassle any more :D
11:17pm 02/08/17 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
758 posts

I'm fine, not because it's all about me, but because i refuse to be s*** at life and be wholly dependent on increasingly late night community services.

You have this luxury to think this way, but actually you're selfish and lazy. What you're giving your wife is referred to as mental load. You have to worry about 5 major tasks that happen on an regular basis, while she has to worry about 20 minor tasks constantly that can pop up at any time.

Why the f*** are you even posting in this thread? "This does not pertain to me, so I don't see how it affects anyone" Wow we've got a badass over here. It's great you live your life being "prepared" (your wife is doing the prep, you're just mooching off her btw), but others (i.e YOUR WIFE) might need access to essentials.

Honestly youre coming off extremely unempathetic, are you a sociopath? This comment is great:

That's one of the reasons I have a wife... while she sorts out everything kitchen related

Another great quote:

You know what sucks? Coming home after a long days work and having all the shops closed because the government decided to arbitrarily set hours. Yes sometimes I work weekends too.

Late weekend opening hours are good, not all of us treat our partners as slaves
10:38am 03/08/17 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
23849 posts
For me, late night grocery shopping suited me cos I hate crowds and the crowds you find in supermarkets are often the worst kind of crowd, like people with huge shopping trolleys and no spatial awareness. Also going after work, car park is full and everyone turns into a s*** driver in car parks, so that just adds another layer of frustration.

I much prefer to turn up at like 11pm or midnight or something, when its almost empty and I can just get in get my stuff and get out with a minimal amount of social interaction
10:48am 03/08/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11653 posts
Thankyou greazy for your concern for my wife. It is a wholly equitable partnership; I ensure it remains so as I am very interested in staying happily married. I assure you she does not see herself as hard done by, certainly not by me. I work very hard to ensure she can do what she always wanted - be a stay at home mum. As a tradeoff to that, she ensures I am equipped with my food and laundry etc all done so I can concentrate on maintaining a single income household, which apparently 'can't be done' these days, but that's a story for another thread.

My central point in all of this is there seems to be some underlying drive for longer opening hours. Why? I don't understand? There are only two conclusions that I can come to whereby this would be a driving force for someone - either they are poor at preparation and planning and live a life in moderate disarray, or they are forced to work odd hours. Now this is chicken and egg stuff - as people are forced to work odder hours, people require services at odder hours, which in turn forces more people to work odd hours.

I don't like it. I do have sympathy for 24/7 staff in primary care or community safety roles (nurse/doctor/police/ambulance/fire) but so many other people seem to 'have no problem' in keeping strange hours, at odds to our natural circadian rhythm.

People need to stop and think - just because I can, does that mean I should?

The people in the 1950s and 1960s really did have it right. Yes, throw out the racism and sexism, but if a couple can play to their strengths in a traditional setup, why not? We've thrown the baby out with the bathwater on that one.

Cheap housing, stable employment, good unions, decent sized backyards, a 40 hour week, a whole weekend for leisure and rest, dinner on the table when you get home! Just because it didn't suit some people, that means we need to chuck out the whole concept? Crazy. Better have a lifestyle of daycare and both parents away from the home 50+ hours a week and have some stranger clean your house and some deliveroo person bring you your meals and premium prices. Why? Because you've all been socially engineered to think that's the only way to 'get ahead'. Well here's the news: if you all try to 'get ahead', no-one does, you just leave the poor and infirm further behind.
03:02pm 03/08/17 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
760 posts
Yeah that's fair enough, soz for the outburst, I shouldn't judge when i have no information.
My central point in all of this is there seems to be some underlying drive for longer opening hours. Why? I don't understand? There are only two conclusions that I can come to whereby this would be a driving force for someone - either they are poor at preparation and planning and live a life in moderate disarray, or they are forced to work odd hours. Now this is chicken and egg stuff - as people are forced to work odder hours, people require services at odder hours, which in turn forces more people to work odd hours.

I don't like it. I do have sympathy for 24/7 staff in primary care or community safety roles (nurse/doctor/police/ambulance/fire) but so many other people seem to 'have no problem' in keeping strange hours, at odds to our natural circadian rhythm.
This is my main issue with what you;re saying and implying. My counter argument to your just in time culture is essentially this: There are all sorts of different people, with different life and different responsibilities. Judging them negatively, even if they live in JIT life style, is inappropriate. You believe being highly organised and maintaining large stocks of food is a good thing, others want accessibility and convenience and on the go fast food. Who are we to judge each other?

It looks like you've figured it all out, that's awesome. Others are still working on it, maybe in due time they will get their s*** organised. Remember it's probably taken you 10 years to work out your current routine. Others even still will never "figure it out" and that's ok.

But we shouldn't maintain archaic operational times based on (most likely) religious reasoning just because of a perceived advantage.
11:05am 04/08/17 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
761 posts
By the way, not everyone has access or the luxury to jobs that operate on a 9-5, Mon-Friday schedule.

Turns out, shift work decreases with age. ~16 of Australians work shifts. Turns out, shift work decreases with age. ~16 of Australians work shifts.
11:09am 04/08/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11655 posts
my main query is essentially this - are people really sure of what they're getting themselves into by pushing for a 24/7 economy. We're already seeing a reduction of penalty rates because we're watering down the weekend. Religious originating connotations or not, its the 5 days work 2 days off that really appeals to me. And while people are happy to work for a pittance driving an uber any hour of the day or night, it's becoming a race to the bottom. One half of society is screaming about the growing divide between the rich and the poor, and the other half is almost giving their labour away just so moderately wealthy partygoers can save $10 on a cab fare.

As the old adage goes
Be careful what you wish for
and i'm not convinced those who push for longer hours for non-essential services really understand some of the ramifications & flow-on effects to society at large.
10:05pm 05/08/17 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7720 posts
jit
dʒɪt/Submit
noun
a style of dance music popular in Zimbabwe.
10:48pm 05/08/17 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
23747 posts
my main query is essentially this - are people really sure of what they're getting themselves into by pushing for a 24/7 economy. We're already seeing a reduction of penalty rates because we're watering down the weekend. Religious originating connotations or not, its the 5 days work 2 days off that really appeals to me. And while people are happy to work for a pittance driving an uber any hour of the day or night, it's becoming a race to the bottom. One half of society is screaming about the growing divide between the rich and the poor, and the other half is almost giving their labour away just so moderately wealthy partygoers can save $10 on a cab fare.

As the old adage goes
Be careful what you wish for
and i'm not convinced those who push for longer hours for non-essential services really understand some of the ramifications & flow-on effects to society at large.

The tenant/business owner has paid for a full month of rent and is entitled to run his business as desired against this sunk cost.

People should be free to choose when they shop regardless of your personal views. That is liberty. The flow on effects are people feeling less frustrated and able to satisfy their individual family work or hobby priorities.

Not everyone has dinner at 6pm in front of the news dude. This isn't Leave it to Beaver.
09:44am 06/08/17 Permalink
Sir Redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
2118 posts
Local foodworks is open til 9.30pm on sundays.

What annoys me is bottleshops not opening earlier.

Why can't I get my booze, bread, coffee and groceries on the weekend all at once?

03:36pm 06/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40732 posts
reckon, i hate it when i have to wait til 10am to get more winez
06:01pm 06/08/17 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
4094 posts
This would have been so awesome back when I was on centrelink and wanting to do a snack run at night. So much wasted cash at servo buying overpriced goods.
06:05pm 06/08/17 Permalink
funky
Canada
1906 posts
yeah this is going to f*** me around hardcore when I eventually move back. I live right behind a 24 hour grocery store and have become extremely used to being able to go whenever i want and not have to store loads of food at my place. bottleshop closing hours are ridiculous here in Toronto are ridiculous here though, 9pm finish on Friday/Saturday? 6pm on a Sunday? GTFO
07:24am 07/08/17 Permalink
taggs
6502 posts
Hey guys because I have a romantic notion of how good living in the 1950s was I want to impose my personal preferences on the rest of society and anyone who doesn't want to live the exact same way I do is clearly doing life wrong.

I want the government to force this on other people including dictating to private businesses when they can and can't operate because the thought of buying toilet paper at 8pm is so unsettling to me I demand the government make it illegal so I don't have to think about it.
11:13am 07/08/17 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21322 posts
classic hardware
12:29pm 07/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39117 posts
People should be free to choose when they shop regardless of your personal views. That is liberty. The flow on effects are people feeling less frustrated and able to satisfy their individual family work or hobby priorities.
I agree the market can generally sort itself out here.

BUT - I also am not opposed to (reasonable) penalty rates on weekends. I reckon there are probably societal benefits to having a generally shared weekday and a generally shared weekend and maybe slightly tipping the scales here is not a terrible thing. I also think there might be commercial benefits too, especially in smaller towns - having a period that you can reliably assume is going to be peak on a weekly basis might be helpful.

I think once a city gets above a certain size it's less of a big deal though.
06:17pm 07/08/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11656 posts
An hour for me on tuesday at 10am is worth a whole lot less than an hour for me at 8pm on a Friday or Saturday night. I think it's reasonable to expect that most people would feel similarly.

So then why is there such a push for having shops open then? Why does the exploitation of workers come with such appeal to you? It's this exact 'i wouldn't do it but those people can' mentality that's only creating a greater divide between the rich and the poor. The 50s and 60s really was a great time. Why do we have to throw out all the good parts of it, just because we're choosing to throw out the bad?

Simply put, there's been too much movement too quickly. All y'all grandparents had it right - i bet old pops wouldn't put up with working on a Sunday - that was his day to sit in his own home that he owned and drink a tallie and listen to the racing and do 5/8ths of f*** all, while nanna cooked the tea.
Now you all have gone soft and need your wife to work so you can buy a new Korean SUV or whatever it is you think you 'have' to have just because you're 38 now.

Blue blistering barnacles...
07:48pm 07/08/17 Permalink
taggs
6503 posts
Not everyone values their time the same way.

Why should society conform to your preferences?
08:05pm 07/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4261 posts
hardware the specific viewpoint of your assertion assumes that the wealthy are unaware of their highly developed and cross valued market leverage with specific business trust issues like safety and continuity

the flourishing of the gig economy has been taken up to the extent that it has as a reaction to these incumbent factors. sure it's damaged market confidence but only among revenue variables of the previously established wealthy, not of the newly minted rich as a result of
08:06pm 07/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39119 posts
Why do we have to throw out all the good parts of it, just because we're choosing to throw out the bad?
well I would GUESS it's simply because you're referring generally to a period of two decades in which basically everything was worse than it is now, except for one or two things that you seem to be cherry picking from that era
An hour for me on tuesday at 10am is worth a whole lot less than an hour for me at 8pm on a Friday or Saturday night. I think it's reasonable to expect that most people would feel similarly.
What an hour is "worth" in these two contexts I would say is wildly variable between people. For many (including me), taking an hour off work to go and do some arbitrary household tasks is a giant pain in the ass; it affects way more people if I am away for an hour during the work week to perform some personal task. While my time on the weekend is more valuable in the sense that it is personal time off, it's also "valueless" in that it costs me nothing if I have to perform that same task on the weekend.
So then why is there such a push for having shops open then?
Because people value convenience. It's really not some grand conspiracy to drag you kicking and screaming into the future. The end game of a mature society is services available 24/7 so you might as well start getting used to it.
08:10pm 07/08/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11657 posts
Yeah but not everyone values their time the same way.
I think they should, more or less. I think that there are far too many health risks with ignoring one's circadian rhythm, and that society is better off if we band together for work & school during the week, and community based activities during the weekend. We've got increasing rates of depression in our community, and the more we can communally share time off with a bbq or warehouse cricket or whatnot, the more harmonious society and its members can be, in my opinion.
08:13pm 07/08/17 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
23748 posts
If you don't get how convenient broader shopping hours are generally for a community - shift workers, tourists, students, drug users, all nights gamers... then the world must revolve around you i guess.

the point about the gig economy is spot on. everyone is keeping their own hours these days. this ain't the flintstones where everyone works to a whistle. WILMAAA!!!!!!!
08:18pm 07/08/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11658 posts
well I would GUESS it's simply because you're referring generally to a period of two decades in which basically everything was worse than it is now, except for one or two things that you seem to be cherry picking from that era
Yeah, i see it as the other way around. Apart from the technological advancement and the communication, safety and medical evolutions, I think society has really gone backwards, in a big way. And you can see that in art - what did the future look like, to people in the 1960's? Space cars n s***. Jetsons type stuff, everything is futuristic space age awesome. What does the future look like now when people illustrate it? Bleak. Dark. Batman s***. It's awful.

We know we're going backwards as a society. But consumers are given morsel treats along the way to suckle on, so we're 'advancing'. Yeah, i don't think so. Families have never had less time together. Electricity has never cost more. Houses have never cost more. You have to have a degree to earn the same wage that an everyman had 30 years prior. Education is getting more expensive, rapidly. The government is freezing medicare. Interest rates are so low because inflation is so low because we have no manufacturing industry, amongst other things. We're past it. The best has passed, but we've got late-nite shopping and mobile data now, so we're all placated.
08:21pm 07/08/17 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
23749 posts
better technology, better medicine, higher overall wealth and purchasing power, better access to education, internet supercharges every aspect of our life, flexible work, better building standards, more time saving conveniences, more leisure time, more international trade, more international travel.

I even think back to what life was in the mid 90s when I was studying and starting out in work and every aspect of society is superior to then, let alone the 60s which is just mystifying how life with thalidomide and asbestos is possibly better than today.

The only s***** thing about modern society I am honestly repulsed by is Tinder.
08:35pm 07/08/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11659 posts
tinder is the gig economy of relationships

both are foreign and bizarre to me
08:40pm 07/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39120 posts
08:54pm 07/08/17 Permalink
baz
Victoria
1316 posts
Love your optimism Trog but
better technology, better medicine, higher overall wealth and purchasing power, better access to education, internet supercharges every aspect of our life, flexible work, better building standards, more time saving conveniences, more leisure time, more international trade, more international travel.

I even think back to what life was in the mid 90s when I was studying and starting out in work and every aspect of society is superior to then, let alone the 60s which is just mystifying how life with thalidomide and asbestos is possibly better than today.

The only s***** thing about modern society I am honestly repulsed by is Tinder.

What about waste....whats your take on the waste products we produce now.

Companies are starting to pretend they are looking after the planet, I spose.
09:21pm 07/08/17 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
23750 posts
Love your optimism Trog but

Companies are starting to pretend they are looking after the planet, I spose.

didn't have a recycle bin in 1960. now mine (the big recycle model) is full to the top every fortnight...... so i dunno.
09:24pm 07/08/17 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
25967 posts
As you were typing this did even the slightest glint of irony dawn on you as you realised that the governments you support are diametrically opposed to just about everything in that list?
09:24pm 07/08/17 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
23751 posts
As you were typing this did even the slightest glint of irony dawn on you as you realised that the governments you support are diametrically opposed to just about everything in that list?

Nope and that's your opinion.
09:26pm 07/08/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11660 posts
oh fpot, can you just for once not turn it partisan political? please?
09:35pm 07/08/17 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
23852 posts
Yeah, i see it as the other way around. Apart from the technological advancement and the communication, safety and medical evolutions, I think society has really gone backwards, in a big way.

All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?
09:40pm 07/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39121 posts
as infi says we recycle way more now. I would assume almost everything decades ago ended up in landfill. I think we could do way more with dealing with waste (I'd really like a food scraps bin; I hate throwing away stuff I know would make great compost or biofuel or whatever)

the biggest waste problem we have atm is probably CO2 / greenhouse gases and we're very slowly waking up to that fact. so I am quietly confident on the waste front that things are improving significantly.

perhaps the big thing is "disposable" objects that some (dumb) companies are making but I think some basic legislation will fix that (e.g., what the EU are doing). But with better/stronger recycling systems even that won't be necessary.
09:58pm 07/08/17 Permalink
baz
Victoria
1317 posts
I dont want to be a bleakist but I would imagine our recycling/reusing efforts are a good 100 years away from being adequate.

Considering that the population and the economy need to grow so that companies can grow, I think we will continue to fall further behind.

What we need is a company that can successfully repair the Ice caps. Assuming it could be done, which it cant, I would imagine the tourism revenue wouldn't cover the costs either, so f*** that.
10:11pm 07/08/17 Permalink
trillion
Ballarat, Victoria
4262 posts
more specifically the glacial flows that have increased severely in their momentum slide towards that warm salty brine

its not going to displace any of the people who could care less until it necessitates immigration maybe, then they'll come out of the woodwork as always

maybe it's not that drastic and ignoring until it's done is the only real passive response anyone can realistically have the capacity to extend
11:32pm 07/08/17 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21323 posts
is anyone able to take hardware seriously when he keeps mentioning how good the 50's and 60's were?

when he was born in the 80's
07:53am 08/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40735 posts
apparently a lot of liberal politicians think the same!@
08:11am 08/08/17 Permalink
PornoPete
Melbourne, Victoria
2681 posts
oh fpot, can you just for once not turn it partisan political? please?

No he just wants to treat you like chattel.
08:53am 08/08/17 Permalink
Sir Redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
2119 posts

Recycling makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that I am doing the right thing.

On an unrelated note, did anyone catch 4 corners last night?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-07/four-corners-australias-organised-waste-trade/8782866

09:08am 08/08/17 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
7722 posts

50s was a great time to be a pedophile priest

pretty average time to be black, gay or a woman.

10:12am 08/08/17 Permalink
notgreazy
Other International
765 posts

is anyone able to take hardware seriously when he keeps mentioning how good the 50's and 60's were?

when he was born in the 80's

To be fair to hardware, he is mentioning the 50s in regards to working hours. Don't strawman his argument by bringing his age.

Recycling makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that I am doing the right thing.

On an unrelated note, did anyone catch 4 corners last night?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-07/four-corners-australias-organised-waste-trade/8782866

I heard this one HACK. I was always suspicious of recycling centres when I found out they're actually "reclamation" centres. They don't f*****g recycle s***, they sell it off to someone else. To make matters worse, the f*****s have us cleaning and washing their products for them and we think we're doing good.

The whole situation is messed up, I have no idea what happens to the items I give to recylcing to the city nor any way to find out.
01:16pm 08/08/17 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
23856 posts
I throw drink bottles in the recyling, the rest though I honestly can't be f***ed separating out
01:30pm 08/08/17 Permalink
Sir Redhat
Sydney, New South Wales
2122 posts

50s was a great time to be a pedophile priest

pretty average time to be black, gay or a woman.

Or a young man of conscription age.

WTF 50s sounds like the worst f*****g time ever unless you're a rich old fella.

Hangon, there seems to be a theme here.
01:33pm 08/08/17 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
23752 posts

I heard this one HACK. I was always suspicious of recycling centres when I found out they're actually "reclamation" centres. They don't f*****g recycle s***, they sell it off to someone else. To make matters worse, the f*****s have us cleaning and washing their products for them and we think we're doing good.

The whole situation is messed up, I have no idea what happens to the items I give to recylcing to the city nor any way to find out.

If recyclers didn't make money from recycling your rates/rent would be even higher.
01:41pm 08/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39130 posts
^^ the point of recycling is not to make recyclers money. If that is all that is happening then it's just a jobs programme being funded by the government so you should be objecting to it!
06:09pm 10/08/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40748 posts
^^ even if it makes me feel good for all the rubbish i generate?
07:30pm 10/08/17 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
23753 posts
Did you even read my post?! This is a way to get a municipal recycling service for free. Business makes their bit, council gets a free service. Win win.

Or, we could get over paid union public servants to do it for twice the price at half the speed and have our rates go through the roof, plus strikes.
08:09pm 10/08/17 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Other International
39131 posts
Did you read mine? It's only win-win if they're actually recycling. The context is the comments above which imply that that is not what is happening. (edit: I don't know anything about whether or not recycling is happening but it's bulls*** if it's not!)

Of all the industries that the free market is most famous for f*****g up though it's waste disposal so it's kind of funny that you'd suggest it's going to be a better option than having the government do it (see hazardous waste being illegally imported into Qld and the potential world's worst tyre fire guys, both of which are from the last week. Not to mention a little story called THE SOPRANOS
08:14pm 10/08/17 Permalink
infi
Brisbane, Queensland
23754 posts
any outsourced government service requires very close oversight, just like any outsourced service in the private sector. a govt/council that doesnt monitor the outsourced provider of a core govt service will predictably get burned. that is called governance. aged care providers are monitored by the Aged Care Quality Agency.

I am surely not telling you anything new when saying that oversight of a contracted provider is essential business practice.

that is a very salacious and sexy story to suggest the current Brisbane City Council recycler doesn't recycle anything. But from what I can gather, Visy is contracted and they are a well known recycling company that makes a fortune out of packaging from recycled material.
08:36pm 10/08/17 Permalink
baz
Victoria
1318 posts
Why do politicians make something so simple sound so complicated.
11:22pm 13/08/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:22pm 13/08/17 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
Post a Reply
You must be logged in to post a reply.