Closing out the Sony pre-E3 press briefing with Insomniac’s take on Spider-Man was both bold and brave, but did it do enough to satisfy the hardcore?
Spider-Man is Sony’s Trump Card, but is it Enough?
Your one stop shop for Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Bethesda, EA, Ubisoft, and Indie Game goodness!
AusGamers@E3 - All of our Showcases
E3 has come and gone, with many new exiting games to look forward to. Here, we cover the stuff we didn't see.
The E3 2017 No-Showcase aka 9 Things We Didn’t See
We return to the island of Vvardenfell as The Elder Scrolls Online rekindles some of that 2002 Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind magic
Mushroom Kingdom - The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind Reviewed!
Optus Speed Pack
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
9291 posts
Hey,

I know this has been somewhat discussed before but can't hurt to revisit!

Our plan is up for renewal with Optus. Looking at their website they offer:

- $60/m unlimited data (upto 30Mbps) speedpack not available; or

- $80/m unlimited data (upto 30Mbps) speedpack available for additional $20 (I don't need/want Fetch and all that other crap that comes with this plan).

We currently have unlimited data, phone and speedpack and pay $110. We no longer even own a home phone, so don't need that.

So my question - during peak times is there really any difference between having the speedpack or not? I've run speed tests and I get well below 30Mbps with the speedpack so I tend to think the speedpack only comes into play in offpeak times.....

Our usage is pretty much just streaming Netflix, You-Tube etc and the son games so multiple demands at once.

Has anyone done, or know of, a comparison?

Cutting my internet cost from $110 to $60 is tempting but not sure if the non-speedpack will cut it.

Cheers
09:24am 15/06/17 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:24am 15/06/17 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
5111 posts
My understanding is that you could go on to the $60 plan and upgrade to the more expensive plan without penalty. So, try it out and see!
Make sure you check this with them first, but this is my understanding.
10:52am 15/06/17 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
9292 posts
I expect you could do that, I'd be surprised if they would turn down you asking to pay more.... but the website does say no speed pack available with $60 plan and it's a two year contract.

I'd be spewing if the non-speedpack plan was noticeably worse than the speedpack plan in peak times and then I couldn't add the speedpack, which is what the website indicates.

I was just curious if anyone is on Optus cable, without the speedpack, and manages to stream to multiple devices during peak time without issue.

Cheers
11:07am 15/06/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40622 posts
optus is still mega nurfed at nite due to netflix clowns. speedpack makes no difference during this time.

outside of 4pm-1am, speedpack enables mega download speeds. there is no need for it, unless you want to download at 8mb/s

i want to download at 8mb/s. (i have speedpack on unlimited data and its awesome)

wish we could get some more upstream though :(
06:23pm 15/06/17 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
9293 posts
I already have speedpack and in off peak times I can get 100Mbps.

However I rarely download, especially in off peak so those speeds are kinda useless for me.

We mainly use data (gaming, and streaming You-Tube, Netflix, Stan) in peak times where, even with the speedpack, speeds will drop to 10Mbps or less.

As Spook said, I suspect at the times I mainly use (peak) the speedpack makes no difference due to network congestion.

I just wasn't sure if by having the speedpack I still get better speeds at peak time than if I didn't have the speedpack.

I think I'll change to the $60 plan. I read Optus fine print and you can upgrade to the $80 plan should you wish to add the speedpack. So worst case I have a month of crap internet....

Cheers

Edit: someones post (after spook and before this one) just disappeared.... :/
01:49pm 16/06/17 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
9294 posts
Anybody on Telstra cable around Annerley, if so what speeds do you get at peak times?

The plan is $80 a month (500gb 25Mbps) for standard speed - the usual Telstra tax....
02:09pm 16/06/17 Permalink
hardware
Brisbane, Queensland
11645 posts
02:10pm 16/06/17 Permalink
Jayman
Brisbane, Queensland
1000 posts
Just running speed tests from speediest.net I get get the full 100/40 (well 95/38 generally) at any time during the day. I'd say not much in the way of legal things need or warrant the 100Mbps but the 40Mbps is nice if you do a lot of cloud syncing. I'd say dropping to 50/20 wouldn't be that noticeable to be honest.
11:24pm 19/06/17 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
9295 posts
^ you talking NBN?

I'm Optus cable, no NBN in Annerley for another 2 years.

I spoke to the nice Indian man and he hooked me up with:
- unlimited data
- speedpack/boost
- no calls included (no problem, we don't have a home phone)
- no contract

$60 a month.

.winning.

last edited by mission at 08:16:46 20/Jun/17
08:15am 20/06/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40629 posts
s***, i need to call through and get that.

we dont need no home calls.
08:15am 20/06/17 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
9296 posts
^ yeah, I was paying $110/m including speedpack and unlimited calls but we haven't had a home phone for 6 months after it broke and we never bothered replacing it.

I got that deal on Friday and I called back yesterday to make sure it had switched over and the nice Indian lady assured me the plan was now $60 unlimited data and speedboost.
08:19am 20/06/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40630 posts
Check yo plan mission, everything says that deal doesnt come with speedboost.

Wifey tried and got knocked back.

Only basic speedpack 30mbps
01:16pm 20/06/17 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
9297 posts
Yeah I know the fine print says no speedboost with $60 plan.

Below is email confirmation (for what it's worth) I was sent after I spoke to them and the plan was confirmed yesterday.

They did say that 'My Account' (the new optus portal) isn't syncing correctly at the moment as it still shows my old plan, 'Unlimited Fusion 100mbps'. Until I get a bill I may not really know, but I still have speedboost atm and the plan has supposedly already changed.

$60 plan

unlimited internet

disregard phone

free internet speed booster

no contract

change plan June 16 2017

Jash Optus

last edited by mission at 15:01:30 20/Jun/17
02:58pm 20/06/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40631 posts
u have golden touch bro.

petal tried in vain to get this deal and failed.

mite do a telstra shake down to see if i can get in.

do a speedtest.net for me one morning and post up results!
05:34pm 20/06/17 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
9298 posts
I literally didn't even ask or haggle for speed pack, he offered straight up with the $60 plan.

Just ran speed test:

Down
99.67Mbps

Up
1.53Mbps

So obviously speed pack still working, just have to wait and see what my bill is.
06:44am 21/06/17 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
21281 posts
lol suck s*** spook
12:55pm 21/06/17 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
40635 posts
outrageous!
05:29pm 21/06/17 Permalink
system