We get an early hands-on with a 400-year old prequel to Assassin's Creed Origins!
This. Is. Sparta! - Hands-On with Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Ahead of E3 Bethesda gave AusGamers the chance to check out RAGE 2, the unexpected but very welcome sequel to id Software’s iconic original
Over-the-Top, Fun, and Insane: Hands-On with Rage 2
From its prequel setting, massive open world, online dedicated servers, to setting up camp anywhere you please.
Fallout 76 – Everything You Need to Know
And to think that we thought they couldn't top the Australia setting of Forza Horizon 3.
Forza Horizon 4 Looks Incredible Thanks to Dynamic Seasons
YouTube Stalls on HQ Videos
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8655 posts
Was just wondering if anyone else was having this problem, and if they have a solution to it. Multiple Google searches haven't provided anything bar some very vague extensions that will just auto-HD things.

Basically every time I view a YouTube video, be it in Chrome or Firefox, it will stall on choosing higher then 480p (or usually the highest quality). It just sits at a blank screen as if it can't pull down the video, yet switching back to 480p or lower and refreshing makes it play. Its quite annoying due to wanting to watch HD videos but not being able to. I'm not sure if it could be something like Ad Blocker causing issues or a totally different thing.

Again this happens on both Chrome and Firefox. I've turned hardware acceleration off in the adobe flash settings (which are accessed when right-clicking a video). Any help would be much appreciated.
11:49pm 02/03/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:49pm 02/03/13 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
22335 posts
Try this

Something which helped me was removing the automatic detection of proxys in windows.

Enter control panel, internet options, connections, LAN settings and uncheck "Automatic detect settings" or something similar.

I got the tip in another thread and strangely this sped up the interface by an incredible amount.
11:55pm 02/03/13 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
4121 posts
I used to have this problem, but ever since I installed a chome extension called 'Auto HD for YouTube' problem went away..
11:57pm 02/03/13 Permalink
kos
Germany
2558 posts
On YouTube I'm pretty sure that 240p and 480p are FLV format while 360p, 720p and 1080p are all MP4. Do videos definitely work at 360p?

Also, if you change your YouTube to the HTML5 version do you still have the problem? (Note that sponsored videos are always shown in Flash even if you have HTML5 YouTube enabled, so don't test it on one of those :P).
11:59pm 02/03/13 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
2815 posts
12:09am 03/03/13 Permalink
Rdizz
Germany
2343 posts
sif not use smart video for firefox
06:21am 03/03/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8657 posts
On YouTube I'm pretty sure that 240p and 480p are FLV format while 360p, 720p and 1080p are all MP4. Do videos definitely work at 360p?Also, if you change your YouTube to the HTML5 version do you still have the problem? (Note that sponsored videos are always shown in Flash even if you have HTML5 YouTube enabled, so don't test it on one of those :P).

No luck there with HTML5. Basically it plays anything bar 720p or 1080p, if I choose those quality settings it will just sit there with a blank screen and not even play.

focusing on Chrome, maybe give this a go

http://newtriks.com/2012/12/01/how-to-disable-the-chrome-pepper-flash-player/

Tried that, didn't work either. Neither did the info from fpot sadly. Really annoying :S
11:33am 03/03/13 Permalink
kos
Germany
2561 posts
Not loading videos of a certain resolution across multiple browsers and multiple players within the browsers just sounds weird. Are you certain the HTML5 player was running (you can tell from the right click menu on the video)?

Do any errors of note pop up in the developer console of Chrome (Ctrl+Shift+I, "Console" tab) when you try to load one of these videos?

Any weird extensions or plugins? Try disabling everything in "chrome://extensions/" and "chrome://plugins/" and just enabling what you need.

Do you have any weird codec packs that could be interfering with browser video decoding?
12:51pm 03/03/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8658 posts
It is most definitely weird considering it was working perfectly fine before. Both Firefox, Chrome and IE are unable to play anything above 480p. Error I get in Chrome console is "Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 400 (Bad Request)" so hopefully that means something.

Tried disabling all extensions and checked to make sure no erroenous plugins were enabled and still does it. Only codec pack I have installed is Xiph.org Open Codecs 0.85.17777 but I'm not sure what could be using that.

Edit: It seems disabling the Xiph codes has solved the issue! Yay! Cheers crew, was driving me insane.
01:07pm 03/03/13 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
36763 posts
Try this firefox extension. Get the raw HTTP link for the 720p/1080p versions, or whichever fails to stream.

Try the HTTP link directly in your browser & see if it works. If it doesn't, try it in wget and see if it downloads - if not the error messages might be interesting.

You are on BP cable yeh?
01:19pm 03/03/13 Permalink
Eorl
Brisbane, Queensland
8659 posts
All good now trog, cheers though. Seems the Xiph codecs were causing something to stall while trying to go higher quality. Not sure why they were even installed in the first place but there we go.
01:25pm 03/03/13 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:25pm 03/03/13 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.