We chat with some of the engineers at NVIDIA and go behind the scenes of the impressive Quake II RTX mod.
NVIDIA on Quake II RTX as the First Fully Ray-Traced Game
The city builder meets conquest series has been around for many years, and this new entry take the series back to the past to re-capture some magic.
Anno 1800 Review - Going Back to Move Forward
We sit down with Blizzard and the Hearthstone team to talk about what goes into designing a new card set and mechanics.
Talking Hearthstone and the New Rise of Shadows Expansion!
Does it hold up almost a decade after first exploding onto the scene?
Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition Review
"I'm a Mormon" campaign in Brisbane.
RUSTA
Brisbane, Queensland
234 posts
Has anyone else seen the billboards around town? I've seen 2. One is at Stafford on Webster road inbound near the bridge. The other i've seen is on Settlement road going to the Gap from Keperra. I would hope that this religion doesn't make any headway in Australia. The campaign is supposedly trying to dispell myths about the mormon faith.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/im-a-mormon-campaign-to-roll-out-in-a-dozen-us-cities/story-fn3dxity-1226156839839
09:11pm 08/11/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:11pm 08/11/11 Permalink
StopShootingMe
Brisbane, Queensland
3496 posts
It's "Mormon". That's my contribution.
09:12pm 08/11/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1635 posts
I would hope that this religion doesn't make any headway in Australia.

Why?
09:15pm 08/11/11 Permalink
DK
Brisbane, Queensland
482 posts
Yeah, I have seen 2 ads on tv and I hardly watch tv. This was prime time rubbish tv, so expensive ads.

What pisses me off is if it was an ad for islam or something people would be in up roar. This cult s*** should not be on tv.
09:15pm 08/11/11 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
4801 posts
It's hard to imagine the appeal of Mormonism working on anybody except Americans. It's up there with scientology imo, probably all religions really, except that its recentness allows anybody with two neurons to see through the bulls*** level of the claims. /non-diplomatic

Later half from ~7:30 gives a talk on Mormonism:
09:17pm 08/11/11 Permalink
Raven
Melbourne, Victoria
6118 posts
Why?

How about "Because it's religion"?
09:17pm 08/11/11 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
7517 posts
Its a Psy-Ops to prepare us for the possibility of Mormon Mitt Romney becoming US President.

you need a pair of these to see through it.

http://maggotfilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/They-Live-Hoffman-lenses.jpg

09:19pm 08/11/11 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
2515 posts
I would hope that this religion doesn't make any headway in Australia. Discuss.

i think it's to late. you know the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" are Mormons right?

lots of them around, big in the PI community
09:20pm 08/11/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1636 posts
It's hard to imagine the appeal of Mormonism working on anybody except Americans

though the majority of Mormons live outside the United States.

How about "Because it's religion"?

So? Religion has many beautiful aspects to it.
09:20pm 08/11/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
11408 posts
Extreme Mormons?

09:22pm 08/11/11 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
6232 posts
So? Religion has many beautiful aspects to it.
Mormons believe that in ancient times, people travelled from Israel to America via wooden submarines.
09:28pm 08/11/11 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
8437 posts
I have a mormon friend on facebook, he's a guy I knew from high school. He's been posting mormon advertising on there too. I went to his going away party a few years ago when he was going on his crusade to utah or whatever the heck they do, it was in an area I bet was all mormons, somewhere out past Chandler.
There's a few mormon church things around the place in Brisbane, there's that big arse one at Kangaroo Point.
09:29pm 08/11/11 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
7519 posts
09:33pm 08/11/11 Permalink
RUSTA
Brisbane, Queensland
235 posts
Why?

I didn't say any about other religions. I said this religion.

i think it's to late. you know the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints" are Mormons right?

Yes I know the church of LDS are morons.
09:34pm 08/11/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1637 posts
Yeah, why?

09:36pm 08/11/11 Permalink
kr0wb4r
Brisbane, Queensland
1041 posts
Religion s**** me to tears.
09:44pm 08/11/11 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
13688 posts
mental stop being a mormon
09:48pm 08/11/11 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
2190 posts
Yeah, why?
Because they're a cult that encourages ostracisation of people who want to leave their religion. That means if you were born a Moron and grew up with at least 3 whole brain cells and worked out that it is full of s*** and wanted to leave, your friends and family are meant to shun you.

They are up there with Scientology as crazy cults that everyone knows are f*****g crazy yet because so many people are "into it" people don't make a big deal out of how crazy it is in order to not offend John Travolta.
09:48pm 08/11/11 Permalink
m3nt4l
Brisbane, Queensland
1638 posts
Fair enough, just found it interesting that it took so many posts to actually get an answer.
09:53pm 08/11/11 Permalink
sCOOBY
Brisbane, Queensland
4329 posts
stupid mormon sponsored youtube vids are giving me the s**** also
09:56pm 08/11/11 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6545 posts
i see the "i'm a mormon" youtube viral thingo heaps :( it's almost as bad as being rickrolled... almost.
they got as much right to buy advertising as any religion i spose.
seen some anti-mormon youtubes in response too :P
10:12pm 08/11/11 Permalink
DocterMoist
230 posts
Why?

Because this is the new trend by the water melons. Oppose all christian and jewish religions. Don't know what their motive it yet.
10:52pm 08/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15600 posts
yep i noticed the big advertising push on tv a while ago. A little unsettling tbh

the ads go something like this 'i used to be a normal person, then i gave up everything i used to do for religion - i'm such and such and i'm a mormon
11:37pm 08/11/11 Permalink
qmass
Queensland
10182 posts
At the end of the day, religion is generally bad in any guise but the gross superficiality of the mormon church (as proudly displayed in their garish monument to marble and gold @ kangaroo point) is hard to stomach. 10% of every club members earnings donated and they spend it on that s***? they could at least buy some of the homeless on the other side of the bridge some breakfast :P
11:57pm 08/11/11 Permalink
Rukh
Brisbane, Queensland
812 posts
LDS is a crock of s*** (speaking as one who went to LDS churches from the ages of 9 to around 12).
But then, all religions are a crock of s***. Just because some are newer and thus aren't as familiar in general to most people and so their crazy claims *sound* crazy doesn't mean that the crazy claims by older religions aren't just as crazy.

11:59pm 08/11/11 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
1311 posts
Ahahahahaha.

F*****g stupid religion(s).
12:01am 09/11/11 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
4803 posts
Went digging for a concise description of mormonism, decided to just go with this instead.

12:23am 09/11/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
3715 posts
I love Bill Maher. I wouldn't go as far as he does at times though to call it a mental disorder to believe in something such as god but he's right that religion these days does more harm than good and gives way to lots of killings and evil s***.

EDIT - He has a segment on mormons in his movie Religulous which is a great watch. Funniest s*** about them is that mormons are supposed to wear magic underwear which looks like old cowboy style long johns which are apparantly said to protect you from fire, gun and knife attacks as well as satan.

last edited by DM at 00:50:07 09/Nov/11
12:48am 09/11/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
6699 posts
I think Bill Maher is a c***. But hey.
01:02am 09/11/11 Permalink
t
Brisbane, Queensland
175 posts
Well that's fair enough MatchFixah. Since you're quite religious, it would be a remarkable feat for you to accept his views without calling your own into question.

Thus, can't blame you for thinking he's a c***.
01:04am 09/11/11 Permalink
Shambler22
Brisbane, Queensland
140 posts
what the f*** is this some type of ultra evangelism? religions are a waste of time, all of them, and they create more problems than they solve. Can't we all just believe in safe, warm science?
02:01am 09/11/11 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1344 posts

Yeah these cult-type ones are bad news.

I once had a girl working for me who was a Jehovah's Witness, she basically went through one of their ostracising processes because she kissed a boy or some such and it was horrible to behold. All her family/friends were JW's, and they all basically acted like she was dead, so she literally had no-one to turn to - turned her life inside out.

Took about 3 months but she eventually dealt with it all and sorted her life out as a non JW, the emotional damage from that BS though. Her family still don't speak to her.

03:57am 09/11/11 Permalink
Persay
Brisbane, Queensland
7410 posts
dated a mormon in chile for a few weeks

she gave good head but was generally pretty wack

the end
10:43am 09/11/11 Permalink
Shambler22
Brisbane, Queensland
142 posts
Yeah it's funny how some of these cults like scientology are outcasted, but the more mainstream ones are allowed to happily coexist in out communities. That ostracizing process you mentioned is exactly the same as the one used in scientology.

they say freedom of religion is a human right.. but aren't we at the point of human development where we can say.. 'hey, this is a damaging belief. It causes harm to it's followers with anarchic practices. You are not permitted to follow it."

Eradicating Islam/Judaism/Christianity/Catholisism would be the single biggest advancement the human race would have even made.

The last 2000 years of s*** have mainly been to these big 4 causing s***.

General Rule : If it has ever caused violence or harm, gone.

The only problem is, with religion gone, what is there for these dildos to believe to take the pain away from their pathetic lives. That's why we need scientific advancement to come in and make life better.
10:55am 09/11/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
11171 posts

How stupid.

I don't think you are really in law school.
11:03am 09/11/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
11411 posts
I don't think you are really in law school.
11:04am 09/11/11 Permalink
Shambler22
Brisbane, Queensland
129 posts
This post has been removed.
Reason: Off-Topic
11:08am 09/11/11 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
4804 posts
I think Bill Maher is a c***. But hey.

I sort of do too from what I've seen of him. But it seemed relevant.
01:18pm 09/11/11 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
20154 posts
One of the dumbest things I have ever read on an internet forum.
01:36pm 09/11/11 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
35018 posts
Because they're a cult that encourages ostracisation of people who want to leave their religion. That means if you were born a Moron and grew up with at least 3 whole brain cells and worked out that it is full of s*** and wanted to leave, your friends and family are meant to shun you.
I don't think I had ever even heard of Mormonism (or at least paid any attention to it) until I was in the US in 1999 for E3. (Note: as this story is over 10 years old I might have some minor details wrong, but the broad strokes are all right.)

I was staying with my uncle and aunt in Menlo Park, near Silicon Valley. In the very short amount of time I had there where I wasn't playing q3test, I met some of the other people in his apartment complex - they had a big BBQ and everyone came out and ate and drank beer and stuff.

One of the guys I met was this dude dressed like your classic artistic type. I can't remember the details, except he was wearing one green shoe and one red shoe. I ended up talking to him for a while and found out he used to be a Mormon (a real live one from Utah).

At some point prior to that he had decided the whole thing was a crock of s*** and he wanted to move to California to seek his fortune, as so many people often do. He talked pretty calmly about how his whole family basically gave him an ultimatum that if he moved away and abandoned them and the faith they wouldn't ever talk to him again.

That is basically what happened; he hadn't spoken to his parents for years and they refused to talk to him. I think he still had some contact with a sibling on and off but I got the impression it was a little frosty or at least weird.

He was a really cool guy (he took us on a tour through where he worked - PDI, now PDI/Dreamworks, and we got a sneak peek at the still-in-development Shrek movie on which he was working and saw a bunch of other awesome stuff) and seemed completely normal and well adjusted, so I remember listening on in horror to the story that it was basically part of this "religion" for people to so callously discard family members just because they had a disagreement of opinion on matters of faith.

He seemed to pretty much at peace with the whole thing; he didn't talk about his parents scathingly or negatively, just matter-of-factly. I'm sure though that it was a source of constant pain at some level. Hopefully he has reconciled with them.

Obviously this is just one story; I am sure there are many tales of happiness somewhere. But as with pretty much all religions, this one largely survives by brainwashing you as soon as is reasonably possible and seems to have a really, really strong focus on ostracising those who attempt to leave the fold to make sure there is strong, strong pressure to stay. It is sad, and scary.

(On a pseudo-related note, if you have not seen the TV show "Big Love" I recommend it. It is about a Mormon polygamist family. Not all Mormons are polygamist (I'm sure it's a tiny minority, so the show isn't exactly representative of Mormonism in general), but it's a really interesting drama that shows the trials and tribulations that poly families have to go through in a society where the background radiation of crazy is much higher than normal anyway because such a high percentage of them are regular Mormons. It is an HBO show so it has awesome production, great cast, etc. )
01:41pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Rukh
Brisbane, Queensland
813 posts
I was in the LDS church from around 1984 to 1988 or something like that. It's been in Australia for a while. Was here in the '60s too.

I could be wrong but it didn't seem as extreme as in the US. I say this because when we joined the church our family were friends with another Mormon family where the mother and the children were all Mormon but the father was ex-communicated but they still all lived together etc. So, at least as an 8 or 9 year old I didn't see any of attempts to cut ex-believers out of the lives of their families. Certainly wouldn't surprise me that it happened elsewhere of course.
02:09pm 09/11/11 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
8446 posts
03:00pm 09/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15614 posts
so judging by the advertising the women and just meant to stay at home ?

all the adversiting on tv has women saying that they used to do whatever their job was but gave that up because now they are a mormon..

as if it makes a difference to their job, assuming they are allowed job - which i'm guessing they aren't
03:50pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Shambler22
Brisbane, Queensland
144 posts
I think about my point about religion has some logic behind it.

If there is a belief which gives people a justification to do harm to others, should it be allowed?

If there is a belief which causes family's to be destroyed, should it be allowed?

I can give examples of almost every religion where it has been used as a justification to kill.

Catholic - Crusades
Islam - Terrorists/Crusades
Christianity - Lions
Mormonism - Read the history, they had some full on wars

If you had a bunch of people trying to survive and one person in your group was following crazy, irrational beliefs which were putting everyone at risk, would you kick him out of the group? Yes, you would.

Look at Tony Abbott. His religion obviously influences his policy. So he is against abortion. Abortion is a scientific way of ending a pregnancy and therefore shouldn't it be allowed in certain circumstances? Cloning is fantastic and could make giant leaps in medical science, yet it has been banned because of secular pressure.

These ancient beliefs which pervade our society are just what they are, ancient. The are inhibiting human advancement and causing harm.

If you were dying and scientists could clone you a new lung, wouldn't you want them to do that? The thing is, they can't, because there are people in power who are ethically against it.

Gay
04:19pm 09/11/11 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
7530 posts
If you had a bunch of people trying to survive and one person in your group was following crazy, irrational beliefs which were putting everyone at risk, would you kick him out of the group?

We have to wait until the next Federal Election.
04:36pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Mantra
Crusty old man
Brisbane, Queensland
3037 posts
I think that's a family decision, the church won't tell you to do anything in relation to that.

I was a Mormon from about age 7 to around 11. I saw the bulls***, and my parents got mad at me and made me go to church. Then when I was about 14, I just refused to go. They didn't ostracise me or anything.

so judging by the advertising the women and just meant to stay at home ?

all the adversiting on tv has women saying that they used to do whatever their job was but gave that up because now they are a mormon..

as if it makes a difference to their job, assuming they are allowed job - which i'm guessing they aren't
Women can do whatever they want. There are a lot of large Mormon families though. I knew one family that had 24 kids. Amazingly, the father wasn't a Mormon.

Mormons are very focussed on the family unit though, and have things like "family home evening" to encourage families getting together etc.

Don't get me wrong, i think it's a massive self perpetuating money making machine, and everything they do is in order to make more money. They encourage making babies, because that increases their membership, which increases their tithe.

When I was in the church, my parents paid 10% of all their earnings to the church. I specifically remember them having a discussion about it in the lounge room with the local bishop because they had gotten behind, and had to catch up. I also remember my Mum and Dad stressing about the mortgage, but they were still giving 10% of their money away. Blew my mind.

I was also expected to pay 10% of my pocket money from age 8 when I got baptised, and then 10% of my paper run money when I got that.

That's in addition to all the work we did for the church as well. My Dad was a 2nd Counsellor in our Ward, which basically meant he was 3IC of all of the logistics of running a church, the accounting, people management, up keep of the facilities etc etc... and he did this in addition to a full time job... for free. Every role across the entire church is volunteer until you get to a certain level. From memory, that was an Area President, but I could be wrong. And even then, I think they're only reimbursed for travel expenses.

Basically a large scale rort, which if it make reference to Jesus would be considered illegal.

As I became a young teenager, i could see them grooming us all to go on "a mission", which are the guys you see running around on bikes in suits. These guys actually pay their own way to do this, and we were encouraged to start saving early on to do our bit.

Everything in relation to being a Mormon is about making more Mormons.
04:54pm 09/11/11 Permalink
t
Brisbane, Queensland
176 posts
Wow Mantra, you must have extreme mental strength to have been able to break away from all that grooming, established friendships, and brainwashing.

Have you met many others who did the same thing as you?
05:04pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Shambler22
Brisbane, Queensland
145 posts
I was groomed once. It didn't end well.
05:10pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Mantra
Crusty old man
Brisbane, Queensland
3038 posts
Wow Mantra, you must have extreme mental strength to have been able to break away from all that grooming, established friendships, and brainwashing.

Meh, I was stubborn I think :)

It's not as bad as all that, and the people that are in the church are actually happy to be in it. It provides a massive social network for all sort of different people, and the general idea of being nice to people isn't a bad thing to teach people. I just didn't agree with all the fairy stories.

I think of all the kids I used to hang out with from that time, probably 5-10% of them have left eh church. So not a large amount really.

My entire family has now left, but it took my Mum the longest, and I think if you still asked her if she was a Mormon, she might say "yes".
05:19pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
4805 posts

To be honest, I've wondered if these things might have a neurological basis, similar to sexual orientation, and if some people can't help being either way.

Similar story here, raised in super-Christian environment, lots of censorship, naive misinformation, and what one would call "brainwashing", as well as the whole 'belonging to a faction' deal. Took an interest in greek mythology, realised that I considered Bible mythology on the same level, was never interested in religion again beyond being decent historical fantasy literature. Rest of the family is still very religious (oh the conversion attempts).

I'm not particularly smart, and there are some very intelligent people who do believe in supernatural concepts. To me, the creditability of all religions is equally non-existent (since to me they're all obviously the exact same thing! - wishful human-created fairy tales which don't hold up to realities revealed by research since unless you really twist it), and so it is literally impossible for me to understand why others would put any stock in these stories at all - even when they are intelligent and informed - and so lately I have been wondering if it's simply a difference of brains.

This actually discusses the same idea I think:
05:26pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
69 posts
It's possible that building on KP cliffs is a little over the top heh. I don't know much about it all to be honest but every time I speak to a person of Mormon faith we have a chat and a drink and they are on their way! I did take a religious photo the other day though! :)

05:54pm 09/11/11 Permalink
DocterMoist
231 posts
I love how everyone is in such an uproar about the ads syaing things like "omg disgusting" and picking on thier beliefs.

Yet, if the same comments etc were being made about islam, screams of "RACIST!" would be echoing throughout the forum from the very same members.

I haven't seen 1 thread about islam being ridiculous (islam is way worse than christianity and mormons, hell, even worse than scientology) yet not a single thread. Why? Because it's not politically correct.

When it comes to muslims it is "oh just let them be"

Double standards.
05:55pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
4806 posts
Actually I was about to suggest that Mormons perhaps don't deserve any more s*** than any other religion, and perhaps are safer to have around since they seem so committed to being nice folk. ^_^

Besides moist, you have shown your nature in several threads, and it's definitely got just such a bias as you're accusing of in being quite pro white & Christianity and quite anti everything else. Nobody is going to take your whinge seriously because all you want is a platform to be biased on, and not rational discussion about anybody.
05:59pm 09/11/11 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
6547 posts
where is the massive advertising campaign for the islamic faith?
they would cop it just as sweet here if there was "i'm a muslim" style advertising plastered all over my youtubes.
not double standards.
05:59pm 09/11/11 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
35022 posts
I love how everyone is in such an uproar about the ads syaing things like "omg disgusting" and picking on thier beliefs.

Yet, if the same comments etc were being made about islam, screams of "RACIST!" would be echoing throughout the forum from the very same members.

I haven't seen 1 thread about islam being ridiculous (islam is way worse than christianity and mormons, hell, even worse than scientology) yet not a single thread. Why? Because it's not politically correct.

Double standards.
if you weren't such a giant raging noob, you would have seen plenty of threads and plenty of posts from plenty of people where those of us that think religion is stupid also apply it to Islam

You just think we (or I, I assume your comments are targeted at me) are pro-Muslim because once or twice I jumped on someone's (probably yours) racist bigotry f***wittery, I guess

keep on truckin' though tiger! You should move to somewhere in the middle of the US where you never have to see a brown person, you'd fit right in
06:01pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Mantra
Crusty old man
Brisbane, Queensland
3039 posts
Some Mormons are brown :)

Also, that thing on the KP cliffs is a temple, so it's not the standard church, but a particularly holy place where god often hangs out. Guess he likes golden statues of Moroni and a nice view of the Brisbane river.

That's also where they get their underwear, or temple garments. It's a big deal to visit the temple, and not everyone gets to go right away. You have to be particularly Mormontastic to get in.
06:39pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
11188 posts
Brown people are scary, one talked to me on the bus the other day, I got away though!
06:42pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Mantra
Crusty old man
Brisbane, Queensland
3040 posts
You know, sometimes they make strange noises I don't understand. It's like they're talking another language or something! Good thing you escaped Hoggy :)
06:49pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Crizane Tribal
Brisbane, Queensland
3665 posts

NO, it's more like "OH s*** watch what you say or they'll fly a plane into our s***".

All religions are silly, in my opinion. However, some are 'worse' than others by social standards, as they encourage people to excommunicate quitters, kill people for believing in a different sky daddy or blow themselves up along with others.
07:11pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Viper119
UK
1347 posts

I thought traditional Islam was relatively fine, it's just the extremist or radical versions of it that are problematic, not unlike other religions.
07:35pm 09/11/11 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
7534 posts
Religion can be peaceful or it can be Extremist.
Extremism can exist in all Religions just as with Ideologies. (like Watermelons)
You should always be sceptical of ppl who want you to make sacrifices.

It only stands to reason that where there’s sacrifice, there’s someone collecting the sacrificial offerings.
Where there’s service, there is someone being served.
The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master. -Ayn Rand

09:35pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
9438 posts

And as long as the person you are serving is 'below' you then I rekon it's a winner.
09:38pm 09/11/11 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
15615 posts
Everything in relation to being a Mormon is about making more Mormons.

mantra your whole post just makes me think of amway......
09:41pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
4808 posts
Religion can be peaceful or it can be Extremist.
Extremism can exist in all Religions just as with Ideologies. (like Watermelons)
You should always be sceptical of ppl who want you to make sacrifices.

It only stands to reason that where there’s sacrifice, there’s someone collecting the sacrificial offerings.
The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master. -Ayn Rand

But you'd make the 3rd worlders sacrifice for your economic gain m i right? (given what crazy you're trying to imply :P)
10:03pm 09/11/11 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
7535 posts
Nerfy you figured out Religion was a scam but you cant see another scam that is using similar techniques.

Religion doesnt exist because there might be a God
Religion exists to control peoples lives in a way that benefits the Religion.

10:47pm 09/11/11 Permalink
3dee
Brisbane, Queensland
6760 posts
Lol. Religion.
11:37pm 09/11/11 Permalink
Mantra
Crusty old man
Brisbane, Queensland
3042 posts
mantra your whole post just makes me think of amway......

Pave, that's exactly what it's like. Amway for Jebus!
08:34am 10/11/11 Permalink
Jc_23
Brisbane, Queensland
70 posts
Religion exists to control peoples lives in a way that benefits the Religion

Or maybe it exists to rid the world of violence, debauchery, sloth, greed, gluttony, hatred, crime, addiction, envy, illness, pride and terror! At least that's what some of those entities try and stand for isn't it? :)
02:42pm 10/11/11 Permalink
Steve Farrelly
Sydney, New South Wales
4710 posts
You can't spell "Mormon" without "Moron"
02:57pm 10/11/11 Permalink
Nerfy
Brisbane, Queensland
4820 posts
Or maybe it exists to rid the world of violence, debauchery, sloth, greed, gluttony, hatred, crime, addiction, envy, illness, pride and terror! At least that's what some of those entities try and stand for isn't it? :)

In my experience it exists because people really like fairy tails. I was in a woman's house the other day who had astrology posters and art everywhere on the walls, I no longer see the difference between that and mainstream religions.

However I don't agree that no "good" comes of religion, it's impossible to balance, but there is some sizeable charity work which comes of it (albeit, imo nearly always "tainted" with indoctrination, and people can be helpful/charitable without religion too). On a side note, which I just remembered, some religious group helped me out after the floods with an enormous de-mudding effort, I can't remember which (the council and army somehow missed our street, despite being in the top few worst hit in the city :/), was possibly even the church of latter day saints.
02:59pm 10/11/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:59pm 10/11/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.