A less is more approach amplified by a wonderful score and an immersive cinematic approach.
Stela Review - A Moving Work of Pure Art
If DOOM 2016 was the proof of concept, DOOM Eternal is the masterwork. A single chord or musical phrase expanded into an all-encompassing symphony of cartoon hyperviolence.
DOOM Eternal Review - id Software Delivers its Masterpiece
Ray-tracing is set to become a major element in the future videogame graphics. So we’ve decided to rank all the current traced rays out there.
RTX On - Ranking Real-Time Raytracing in Games
As Hearthstone heads into the Year of the Phoenix, it’s introducing the first new class since the game launched. The game-changing Demon Hunter.
Inside Hearthstone’s New Game Changing Demon Hunter Class
Attorney-General Robert Clark opposes R18+ for games.
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1239 posts
LONG-AWAITED reforms of Australia’s censorship of computer games look set to fail after Victoria declared its strong concern that the move will legalise games with ‘‘high levels of graphic, frequent and gratuitous violence’’.

the Baillieu government’s Attorney-General, Robert Clark, has echoed the concerns of the Australian Christian Lobby

Mr Clark said the community should have a chance to discuss the draft guidelines — which have not been made public — and see what sort of games would be legalised.

Lame, I'm pretty sure the public has made their position rather clear.

Source

http://www.robertclark.net Has an email address there.
02:06am 03/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:06am 03/04/11 Permalink
Dazhel
Gold Coast, Queensland
3111 posts
Seriously?
The Federal government should just man up and change the f*****g national laws to steamroll c*******s like this.
02:38am 03/04/11 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1240 posts
Yea I hate that it only takes one AG to say no and it's finished.
02:47am 03/04/11 Permalink
Tim Tibbetts
Brisbane, Queensland
2526 posts
Fantastic....back to square one.
06:22am 03/04/11 Permalink
dazedandconfused
Sydney, New South Wales
160 posts
Its good, this democracy business.
06:25am 03/04/11 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1951 posts
easiest way to curb the development growth process of a media industry

and would you take a look at the 5 star feedback that the mk demo has been given over such a large number of votes, embarassing for presenting something like that to a right wing conservative lawmaker and expect to give them anything but the wrong idea about it, what a bunch of eggs

last edited by trillion at 07:44:20 03/Apr/11
06:56am 03/04/11 Permalink
justrev
Melbourne, Victoria
291 posts
Why would a govt which exempts religions from discrimination laws allow R18+ games?

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/politics/memo-mr-baillieu-youre-not-in-favour-of-discrimination-20110226-1b9gc.html
08:11am 03/04/11 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
880 posts
F*****g great.
08:13am 03/04/11 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Wynnum, Queensland
18394 posts
F*** I hate religion
08:50am 03/04/11 Permalink
Tele
Gold Coast, Queensland
233 posts
Think of the children...

I Mean come on this is just stuiped..
08:51am 03/04/11 Permalink
TufNuT
I like eel pie
Brisbane, Queensland
3522 posts
its not just insane gaddafi wannabe religious leaders who are responsible for this be also all the stupid family groups (same people really) who are the same kind of people who would have burned witches, called medicine evil, etc..

there is no way to reason with these people because all their beliefs are based on irrational fear. these people are not the kind that listen to reason. i just don't understand how society still tolerate these people after having proven them wrong time and time again and shown how corrupt they are themselves.

the only way to get this through is for the federal government to intercede.
09:49am 03/04/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2629 posts
What I don't understand is WHY all the AGs have to agree? F*** victoria. If they don't want a R18 then let them ban it and we will have it. After all this f*****g time it looks like things were finally going to change and then this tossbag comes and throws a wrench in the works.

Guess we will all be forced to continue to import or pirate games, taking our money out of australia and hurting stores who then b**** that they have to cut jobs and close shops because online is kicking their ass.
09:58am 03/04/11 Permalink
Outlaw
Gold Coast, Queensland
205 posts
f*** :(
10:04am 03/04/11 Permalink
Vash
2402 posts
Is there a country in the world that has zero religious influence in it's government i can move to?
10:13am 03/04/11 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
1542 posts
F*****g Liberals, if they weren't a bunch of religious zealots they'd almost be a decent party.
10:29am 03/04/11 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
9330 posts
Most politicians are at least outwardly religious.

This is sad; its time for the Federal Government to step up. Clearly the current framework isn't working and is too rigid to allow reform. Axe the Act and start again.
10:31am 03/04/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10422 posts
strong concern that the move will legalise games with ‘‘high levels of graphic, frequent and gratuitous violence’’.

someone needs to tell them that this isn't illegal and if they don't like it, they don't have to f*****g play the games.

This is what happens when we vote f*****g conservatives in
10:36am 03/04/11 Permalink
Sipawhore
Brisbane, Queensland
277 posts
When will people learn.... democracy doesn't work!
10:46am 03/04/11 Permalink
TicMan
Melbourne, Victoria
6818 posts
I'm not shocked that an AG has popped his head up saying they are against the rating but I am shocked that it's the Victorian AG when Victoria is supposedly one of the more liberal states in the country.

Very disappointing :(
10:47am 03/04/11 Permalink
Enska
Sydney, New South Wales
868 posts
Victoria declared its strong concern that the move will legalise games with ‘‘high levels of graphic, frequent and gratuitous violence’’.

erm, hello. They are here already, and are as readily available to underage kids as they ever will be.
10:52am 03/04/11 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
7391 posts
10:55am 03/04/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
5327 posts
Someone please enlighten to me as to how and why the ACL have so much power in this matter?
10:58am 03/04/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
6878 posts
can someone tell me why everything i read about this R18+ genre is described as games that have "high levels of gruisom violence"

Pretty sure there are alot of games that have adult themes, sex, drugs in them that have been RC or the companies made put out a watered down girly version.

All the wankers keep going on about is this extreme violence, that will turn our kids into raging serial killers
11:03am 03/04/11 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
5737 posts
Someone please enlighten to me as to how and why the ACL have so much power in this matter?
I'd say it's because most Labor, Liberal, and National politicians identify as Christians. So while people keep voting for those parties, the ACL has influence.
11:06am 03/04/11 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
1812 posts
Is there a country in the world that has zero religious influence in it's government i can move to?

North Korea - their glorious leader develops all games and I believe he invented both the xbox and ps3
It's sort of run along the same lines as Apple. You'll love it there.

last edited by crazymorton at 11:38:15 03/Apr/11
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
6879 posts
Its violence: adults watch violence, kids even watch violence.. whats the big deal. There were public beheadings, up until recently, kids n war torn areas watching their friends and family get shot up, any kid that goes to school would see violence everyday at school.

Its just a bulls*** f***** excuse to allow these christian group and wanker polititians to tell the majority of the population what we can and cant watch.

F*** off and quit trying to push ur bulls*** "no violence, think of the kids" religious viewpoint that not one person gives a f*** about.
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
1140 posts
Ah yay for backwards Australia. How the hell our country is doing well blows my mind.
11:37am 03/04/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1291 posts
Sigh. I just can't be bothered anymore. I've argue my case for an R18+, and everyone that I have talked to about it has agreed. Even my bloody mum agrees, and she was born in the 60's. So, now it's just a waiting game until the federal government changes this s***. What exactly will they do? Just change the law that requires AG votes to all by synonymous?
11:43am 03/04/11 Permalink
Scooter
Brisbane, Queensland
4206 posts
Someone made a form email to flood him with yet?
I care, but not enough to be bothered writing something myself.
11:46am 03/04/11 Permalink
JakeG
Thailand
890 posts
Politics... How did we go from gladiators fighting to the death for political popularity, to this?
12:14pm 03/04/11 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
6074 posts
especially if yo'r;e from brisbane scooter. He will only listen to victorians
12:16pm 03/04/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10423 posts
seems like we're better off just flouting the rules until they get the picture that we just don't care what they think?
12:26pm 03/04/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1295 posts
seems like we're better off just flouting the rules until they get the picture that we just don't care what they think?

PIRATES, FULL STEAM AHEAD!!!
12:30pm 03/04/11 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
881 posts
This is why we can't have nice things.

Most politicians are at least outwardly religious.

This is sad; its time for the Federal Government to step up. Clearly the current framework isn't working and is too rigid to allow reform. Axe the Act and start again.

The whole system needs a shake up.

At least our government isn't as corrupt as Americas.
12:36pm 03/04/11 Permalink
teq
Brisbane, Queensland
10424 posts

Pirates didn't have steam power silly

(probably because steam still region blocks (albeit very poorly, lol cc=uk trick))
12:47pm 03/04/11 Permalink
euphoria
Gold Coast, Queensland
1954 posts
Valve doesn't like pirates.

Back on topic, this is bloody annoying. Stupid single-AG-veto-power-thingy should be canned. And what fires me up even more is this Christian lobby mob... I'm yet to speak to a single Christian directly about the rating system who agrees with this idiotic lobby group whose name implies they represent us. Games that are over the top violent, etc., will continue to be banned even if an R18+ rating was in place in the same way that certain films are banned. [SNIP] I had started ranting on about why the current system is crap but you are all well informed about it - pointless preaching to the choir on this forum.
01:06pm 03/04/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1296 posts
Valve doesn't like pirates.

Back on topic, this is bloody annoying. Stupid single-AG-veto-power-thingy should be canned. And what fires me up even more is this Christian lobby mob... I'm yet to speak to a single Christian directly about the rating system who agrees with this idiotic lobby group whose name implies they represent us. Games that are over the top violent, etc., will continue to be banned even if an R18+ rating was in place in the same way that certain films are banned. [SNIP] I had started ranting on about why the current system is crap but you are all well informed about it - pointless preaching to the choir on this forum.

It's just the head honchos. Everyone knows this, and most Christians do agree with the R18+, and are sadden by their head honcho acting like a buffoon.

Pirates love Steam, I sure as heck do :D
01:12pm 03/04/11 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1952 posts
and not one person itt has bothered clicking a few buttons and pressing a few keys to form a poll type dealy or well articulated article by Steve F have they

QGL the beaurocats vent again

http://delimiter.com.au/2011/04/01/r18-games-weve-already-debunked-you-barbara/
01:26pm 03/04/11 Permalink
Ivonin
Brisbane, Queensland
385 posts
F*****g ... f***. =(
01:31pm 03/04/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
6888 posts
what is a poll going to do?
no1 who makes the decision obviously gives a f*** what the rest of the country wants
01:35pm 03/04/11 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1953 posts
hrm pollsters are able to influence community consensus much more than just individuals that debate the decisions back-and-forth are. being the laughing stock of the world with some of the draconian laws in place here is like the bible belt in america influencing and running the country at large, which seems to be happening in a micro format in this instance.

the only difference is there won't be the organisation for the catalyst of opinion that is needed to change this stone walling by this one particular polly. why this isn't being understood as something that has a positive effect for both business and progressive democracy who knows, but it's something that is definitely being denied for a personal and irrational reason by the AG.

< /devils advocate >

if you know what i mean...

edit: escaping html here is painful

last edited by trillion at 13:47:15 03/Apr/11

last edited by trillion at 13:47:55 03/Apr/11

last edited by trillion at 13:48:38 03/Apr/11

last edited by trillion at 13:50:13 03/Apr/11
01:46pm 03/04/11 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1241 posts
There is now a poll attached to the article I linked in the OP, results are same as always. Polls do have value but in this case we've been there done that.
02:00pm 03/04/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1300 posts
We've been arguing back and forth with polls and census and every bloody form of media available, and the results are always the same. Consensus is that people want an R18+, but the vocal minorities are getting larger air time due to their religious pulls, and how religion has such an influence over today's life style. It's sad but true. Hopefully the Federal Government can put a stop to this s*** quickly.
02:05pm 03/04/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
6891 posts
religion can suck my nuts, all it does it ruin the world and tell us how we are spose to live our lives.

f*** off
02:06pm 03/04/11 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1954 posts
lol sc00bs how f*****g newb are you at how politics works?

because of the influence it has on business and in this case the content those boutiques can carry it trickles into the morality of that content, which can be stupidly painful but hey, just go about obtaining it by pseudo criminal means that the ethic there implies that you are if you do right
02:12pm 03/04/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1301 posts
I am so going to make a christian friendly game and then have subliminal devil worshiping and such
02:17pm 03/04/11 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1955 posts
so why post here about it? :P
02:45pm 03/04/11 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
760 posts
I'm not shocked that an AG has popped his head up saying they are against the rating but I am shocked that it's the Victorian AG when Victoria is supposedly one of the more liberal states in the country.

Very disappointing :(

The Labor AG was all for an R18+. New guy is Liberal which means locking down everything and anything.

Stupid thing is Easter Sunday, you know the Sunday of that RELIGIOUS weekend, is now a non public holiday opening day after the Libs pushed their new law through at 2.30am to make it so shiops could open on that day. They also refused suggestions and amendments by the Labor and Greens that it be a public holidays.

I hate the Libs and they have only been in power a few months.
02:53pm 03/04/11 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
886 posts
Stupid thing is Easter Sunday, you know the Sunday of that RELIGIOUS weekend, is now a non public holiday opening day after the Libs pushed their new law through at 2.30am to make it so shiops could open on that day. They also refused suggestions and amendments by the Labor and Greens that it be a public holidays

No s***?

Why can't we just have a completely secular government? So frustrating!
03:03pm 03/04/11 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
763 posts
No s***?

Why can't we just have a completely secular government? So frustrating!

No s*** so if you are rostered to work this coming easter sunday you have to work. Oh joy.

Victoria - out of kilter with the rest of the world.
03:17pm 03/04/11 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
1544 posts
Anyone find it surprising that the ACL refuse to accept reality and continue to deny the logical flaws in their arguments even when they have been carefully explained to them? Yeah me neither.
hrm pollsters are able to influence community consensus much more than just individuals that debate the decisions back-and-forth are.
They've already done a survey on the matter and the results were very much in favour or an R rating so I'm not sure why you think some internet poll is going to sway their view.
03:21pm 03/04/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1302 posts
No s*** so if you are rostered to work this coming easter sunday you have to work. Oh joy.

Victoria - out of kilter with the rest of the world.

Oh bloody hell. Why...why did we vote Liberal.
03:47pm 03/04/11 Permalink
Raider
Brisbane, Queensland
3213 posts
i love how it's always the minority that has more power then the majority in aus
04:20pm 03/04/11 Permalink
rrrocket
Brisbane, Queensland
1308 posts
for f**** sake this is ridiculous

so there's no chance now come July?
08:02pm 03/04/11 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1966 posts
deadlyf does it look like i even care about worrying about getting this one to roll over though, get some lighter hobbies maybe?
08:06pm 03/04/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
9577 posts
How annoying. I wrote to Rob Hulls, ex A-G here, and he was for classification reform and positive about the inclusion of an R18+ category for games.

Now we get a new dip-s*** with no idea. *sigh*

I emailed him, short and sweet. No need to overcomplicate this very clear issue.

To the Honourable Member of Parliament, Robert Clark,

Please do not ignore the facts when it comes to a very overdue Classifications Board review.

Look outside yourself and towards your constituents.

No reply is necessary.

Kind regards,

[name, location]
09:37pm 03/04/11 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1968 posts
was that Rob Hulls guy the one from the EFA that was posting some months back?
09:51pm 03/04/11 Permalink
carson
Gippsland, Victoria
893 posts
How annoying. I wrote to Rob Hulls, ex A-G here, and he was for classification reform and positive about the inclusion of an R18+ category for games.

Now we get a new dip-s*** with no idea. *sigh*

I emailed him, short and sweet. No need to overcomplicate this very clear issue.

Pinky. Hook me up with his email, and I will email him too.
10:04pm 03/04/11 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
5738 posts
Read the first post.
10:13pm 03/04/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
9578 posts

robert.clark@parliament.vic.gov.au
10:26pm 03/04/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1308 posts
Ta Pinky, sent.
11:04pm 03/04/11 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1971 posts
care to verbose it here Eorl? should be good you seem like a bit of a wordsmith
11:10pm 03/04/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1309 posts
Incoming wall of text.

To the Honourable Member of Parliament, Robert Clark,

Your recent response to the on going debate between allowing a R18+ or not allowing a R18+ has come as sadden news to myself, and to many other fellow people who believe in the for R18+ rating.

Let me tell you a bit about myself, so you can understand my decision as to why I am eagerly awaiting a R18+ rating.
And no, please do not jump the gun and think it's due to the supposed "large amount of video game violence, gratuitous gore and violence" that would flood the market.

I am turning 20 years old this year, and am currently studying a Bachelor of Games Development, at Queensland University of Technology. I have recently completed a Diploma in Games Development at TAFE, and am well on my way into my 2nd year at QUT.
Now, being in the training fields, and learning exactly what makes a game tick, or a gamer for that matter, has helped me understand why exactly an R18+ is actually extremely needed in Australia. I know you have most likely heard the most common pro, is that Australia is currently the only prosperous country without any form of adult rating, having to default to the highest of a MA15+.

Now, as a gamer, and a person studying gaming at a whole, it has come to my attention that the media, and people who are misinformed, believe that gaming is still at large, a children's following. That is extremely in the opposite direction, as recent polls have stated that in fact, the age is actually on average, 30 years old or there about (The Interactive Entertainment Association of Australia. "Top 10 Player Facts". IEAA. Retrieved 2008-08-14.). Now, I do understand the concern of children gaining access to these games that will supposedly coming "flooding" into the R18+ rating, if it was to be implemented. But, shouldn't the blame be put on the adults who take the role as parents? Is that not the goal of a parent, to ensure their child is taught how to effectively survive in this world, and to not be subjected to media that isn't appropriate to them? A rating is just that, a guideline that clearly identifies the product, and tells the buyer, that this is exactly what you are expecting. A R18+ would not only serve as a greater guidelines for parents, but will also allow the older gamers the rights that they, as fellow Australians, deserve.

Now, I know you have your views, and you must think of the community, but are we not the community? Are we not people that should be allowed a choice? A voice? Are these polls that have been conducted since the issue arose, show that the public DOES actually want a R18+ rating. And that in the 10 or so years of the rating board, only 19 games have been outright banned (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games#Australia), with several having gone under changes to adhere to the MA15+ rating. A R18+ is limiting the industry. The games industry is worth $110 million (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/australian-games-industry-worth-au-110m), and is growing ever so fast. With a R18+, game developers will be allowed to express their talents to adults, and be allowed to express adult themes without the concern of children. No, there won't be extreme violence, or extreme gore, or extreme sexual scenes. Games like that have no interest. They have no audience because today's audience is more interested in uniqueness, and simplicity and having fun.

I also want to quickly note, current generation consoles and Personal Computers (PC's) allow a parental lockout system that can be from G rated only games all the way to MA15+(R18+ in other countries). The technology is there to help parents ensure their kids are only playing what they believe is acceptable. Game developers do take care in ensuring what they put into their game fits across the MA15+ requirements, but there is only so much you can limit when your target audience is 18+, but the highest rating is MA15+. So yes, some games are being released under the MA15+ rating, but only because Australia doesn't have a R18+. But as I said above, a R18+ won't open the floodgates. It will actually help games be defined more by the requirements for each rating. A game like Mortal Combat 9 or Call of Duty: Black Ops, is made for adult gamers. Yet it's being given a MA15+ because there is no R18+. So really, if there is concern that children are gaining access to a game that should be classified differently, then clearly it is the fault of the current rating system. And just outright banning isn't going to work, because the majority of gamers, are adept enough to download the game illegally via bitTorrent, or import it from overseas. So really, a R18+ is a win/win situation.

I want to thank you for reading this, and I hope that you now understand a bit more about why the R18+ is so vital. Without it, we are the laughing stock. And the games industry in Australia, and importing to Australia, is suffering.

Kind Regards,

Daniel Roy
A gamer
12:10am 04/04/11 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
16156 posts
I'm tempted to write a letter to him, but does anyone think it will honestly make a difference? People on the anti-R18+ side of the argument seem to already have their minds firmly made up, and aren't willing to listen to logical arguments based in fact, it feels like a bit of a hopeless fight :(
12:27am 04/04/11 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
19213 posts
I want scoobs to write him an email.
12:29am 04/04/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
6898 posts
my letter would say

dear assface,

F*** you and your jesus loving bulls***.
We pay the taxes not churches, so they can eat a pile of donkey balls while gettin raped by a sperm whale

FUUUUUUCCCCKKKK YOOUUUUUUU!
12:36am 04/04/11 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1976 posts
haha ^

Khel I'm the pessimist around these parts, I challenge yee to a duel!

first one to chompski wins
12:41am 04/04/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1310 posts
my letter would say

dear assface,

F*** you and your jesus loving bulls***.
We pay the taxes not churches, so they can eat a pile of donkey balls while gettin raped by a sperm whale

FUUUUUUCCCCKKKK YOOUUUUUUU!

Totally send it. With a bag of s*** to.

12:42am 04/04/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
6901 posts
"he's gonna s*** when he realises its s***"

hahahhaa f*** i love the old adam sandler movies.
12:49am 04/04/11 Permalink
trillion
Brisbane, Queensland
1978 posts
while it's not something i'd ever bother sending an email about, here's something called 'idle hands.jpg'

http://i52.tinypic.com/20gigjr.jpg

also i think it's important to understand why this keeps going on like this between the members, and you have to get into a bit of mind games as such

it goes something like 'how a conservative liberal politicians decision making process is influenced by the party line' "if we allow this level of extreme then it will just continue to erode the fabric of society" and "lets protect traditional values and ethics to project a sense of security and confidence"

you don't need to hacky hack their emails to understand that's what's going on here

last edited by trillion at 03:38:04 04/Apr/11
02:05am 04/04/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
6906 posts
"high levels of graphic, frequent and gratuitous violence",

WHY IS THIS ALL THEY F***** TALK ABOUT!!!!!!! there is much more to an r18 game than some gore.

"This needs careful scrutiny and public debate,"

f*** off u fat polititian, u just want another few months of paid for lunches.

he said. "The Coalition government is very concerned that the draft guidelines currently being proposed by the Commonwealth would legalise games with high levels of graphic, frequent and gratuitous violence, including violence against civilians and police

Thank god they are wasting millions of dollars saving us from these violent video games. I for one am so happy that i havnt been stabbed or shot with an ak47 while a fatality is being performed on me. Thanks government for saving us weak people of australia from being able to make a decision as to whether a game is too violent for us to buy for ourselves.
01:51pm 04/04/11 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
6086 posts
Incoming wall of text.

all he will see is that you're a queensland and therefore irrelevant
01:55pm 04/04/11 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
11412 posts
"This needs careful scrutiny and public debate,"
Yes, this is the thing that s**** me the most. A new conservative AG gets voted in on the back of what is supposedly the most progressive Coalition government in the country and then acts like the whole situation is new and there hasn't already been years of scrutiny and public debate that have made popular opinion crystal clear.

Totally absurd. I home O'Connor wasn't just all talk when he floated the idea of taking the movement up to the federal level.
01:56pm 04/04/11 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1244 posts
all he will see is that you're a queensland and therefore irrelevant

One would hope that he understands that as an AG he actually does represent all of Australia along with all other AG's.
01:57pm 04/04/11 Permalink
HyperJ
Brisbane, Queensland
328 posts
‘‘high levels of graphic, frequent and gratuitous violence’’..

Like the "Road Runner" cartoon i watched as a kid?
02:00pm 04/04/11 Permalink
fade
Brisbane, Queensland
6087 posts
One would hope that he understands that as an AG he actually does represent all of Australia along with all other AG's.

lol wat. he represents his electorate as a member of parliament and the broader victorian people by his positions as AG. He has no relation to QLD.
02:13pm 04/04/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2631 posts
he said. "The Coalition government is very concerned that the draft guidelines currently being proposed by the Commonwealth would legalise games with high levels of graphic, frequent and gratuitous violence, including violence against civilians and police

Because in GTA4, which was shoehorned into a MA15+ rating, you can't go on murderous rampages and kill civilians and police with any number of weapons, including setting them on fire and BURNING THEM TO DEATH PAINFULLY WHILE THEY SCREAM. These games are accessible to anyone who wants them now thanks to a failing rating system, including those who shouldn't have them which I think we all agree that games like GTA4 isn't meant for 13 year old kids.

Want to make it so these kids have a harder time buying R18 rated games? Make it law along with the new system that requires ALL people buying said rated game to provide ID. Simple. Done. Any children who get a hold of these games now are breaking the law by illegally downloading them, or their parents/friends are for buying them for their underage kids. Any store found selling R18 games to kids without an ID get a 50,000 fine per offense. Bet you won't find any stores willing to break that huh?
02:14pm 04/04/11 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1246 posts
lol wat. he represents his electorate as a member of parliament and the broader victorian people by his positions as AG. He has no relation to QLD.

When he like any other AG can basically veto issues that come before them he indeed does represent all of Australia.

Because in GTA4, which was shoehorned into a MA15+ rating, you can't go on murderous rampages and kill civilians and police with any number of weapons, including setting them on fire and BURNING THEM TO DEATH PAINFULLY WHILE THEY SCREAM. These games are accessible to anyone who wants them now thanks to a failing rating system, including those who shouldn't have them which I think we all agree that games like GTA4 isn't meant for 13 year old kids.

Want to make it so these kids have a harder time buying R18 rated games? Make it law along with the new system that requires ALL people buying said rated game to provide ID. Simple. Done. Any children who get a hold of these games now are breaking the law by illegally downloading them, or their parents/friends are for buying them for their underage kids. Any store found selling R18 games to kids without an ID get a 50,000 fine per offense. Bet you won't find any stores willing to break that huh?

Get out of here with that infernal logic.
02:23pm 04/04/11 Permalink
Mephistoau
Melbourne, Victoria
3 posts
For f**** sake, how do these people not understand that this doesn't make these games legal for minors - nor does it make it any easier to purchase...... godamnit. So. F*****g. Angry.
02:43pm 04/04/11 Permalink
deadlyf
Queensland
1548 posts
When he like any other AG can basically veto issues that come before them he indeed does represent all of Australia.
Keeping his job and performing his job are not necessarily the same thing though. Electorates are rarely accurate representations of the greater community. His electorate could be ACL heartland for all we know and it's his electorate that he has to represent if he wants to keep his job, not the whole of Australia.
03:12pm 04/04/11 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1247 posts
Keeping his job and performing his job are not necessarily the same thing though. Electorates are rarely accurate representations of the greater community. His electorate could be ACL heartland for all we know and it's his electorate that he has to represent if he wants to keep his job, not the whole of Australia.

A compelling reason why these things should not need unanimous support from all AG's.
03:43pm 04/04/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
1313 posts
I would hope he would still listen to my voiced opinion, else all he really is, is just a stubborn politician (I know, it's the norm anyway). Saying "No I won't listen to you because your from a different state!" clearly shows his inept attitude towards criticism and opinions.
06:21pm 04/04/11 Permalink
bepatient
Melbourne, Victoria
401 posts
Really good read on where this whole thing stands

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/04/r18-rationality-is-dead/
11:53pm 04/04/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
9721 posts
Great media release by O'Connor yesterday. Props to him for ramping up the issue.

“An adult classification for video games will provide better guidance for parents and remove unsuitable material from children and teenagers,” Mr O’Connor said.

“It will also create further opportunities for Australian computer game developers, distributors and retailers – and that’s a great thing for students studying at the University of Ballarat.”
“We want to create opportunities for our young people in diverse parts of the economy. The games industry is an increasingly important part of our creative economy that we should support.”

With the introduction of an R18+ classification, Australian game developers would be able to create computer games for both the local and international markets without having to change the content.

Go O'Connor, go! Nice to see some logic and that someone gets it!
11:39pm 13/04/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2664 posts
There is a fair bit of logic in this whole situation but it's only coming from 1 side. The other believes that getting violent games out of the hands of teenagers will harm them.

Since they seem to believe so much that games will damage kids and make them violent, you would think that the last people they would want to annoy is the adult gamers who have had 20 years of gaming. I mean after all those are just serial murderers waiting to happen right?
12:08am 14/04/11 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
16233 posts
Yeah, the ACL have replied with more of their ridiculous bulls***.

I particularly love this gem:

Adults have a duty to consider the costs of their choices, especially when doing so will see more children accessing violent games. With US research showing that children there regularly play ‘adult games’ such as Grand Theft Auto, nobody can honestly claim that placing an ‘R’ on the package will prevent Australian children from also accessing such material.

Someone needs to let him know GTA has been available here for years and is being played by children already, and that a revised rating system will actually HELP in that regard. But its not like he'd actually listen.
03:24am 14/04/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:24am 14/04/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.