Is it game enough to fill the Gerudo Valley-sized gap in our collective souls? Can it quench the unquenchable heart that lies still, awaiting the return of Link in Breath of the Wild 2?
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity Review - A Link to the Past
Perhaps the best in the franchise yet, and it wasn't even lead by either of the A or B teams...
Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War - Our Full Review
The PS5 has landed a couple of timed exclusives so we look at Godfall from New(ish) Kids on the Block, Counterplay.
Godfall Review - Godly Ascension, or a Fall from Grace
Duke Nukem Forever gets MA15+ in Australia
darkjedi
Hobart, Tasmania
3005 posts
Put down the pitchforks & torches, as it appears that our worst fears have not been realised. Gaming news site Gamepron has done some sleuth work and discovered that a game rated on Feb 7 by the Australian Classification Board called "000A" is indeed Duke Nukem Forever, but more importantly that it has passed without any changes needed! You can find the entry on the Classification Board's website, however I've included a screenshot of the entry below:

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/4817/screenshot20110210at122.png

Just in case you still had your doubts it's Duke: Strong Violence? Sexual References? Take 2 Interactive? It's a bit of a no-brainer really.

It also means we're definitely on track to see this baby released on schedule.

12:27pm 10/02/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
Crakaveli
USA
5162 posts
Wow, i really didn't see that one coming. Awesome news.
kappa
Brisbane, Queensland
1380 posts
Hallelujah!
12:34pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
8773 posts
Haha, crude humour. Haven't seen that one before, I like it.
12:35pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
5163 posts
How do they review a game? do they get a copy of it or are they shown a video? Because in the trailer all the boobs were blurred (they arent in game). Would be pretty funny if they just showed them a video of it with all the tits blurred out.
12:37pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Mephz
Brisbane, Queensland
604 posts
One part says to grab it because it's duke.
The other part is so wary, might wait to see what the Multiplayer is like before I commit to it I think!
12:37pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
5164 posts
It's duke man! It's definitely NOT going to live up to 12 years of development time and all the hype surrounding it, but it will be one fun ride. In my opinion anyway.

Check out steam for a purchase, should be able to get it close to release time for $50 bucks, so long as they don't add an Australian tax.
12:41pm 10/02/11 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
94 posts
No nuditity mentioned. Maybe we really do get the good parts blurred.
12:55pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
5167 posts
nah, it was confirmed by devs and the media that saw that trailer at pax that it's all unblurred in game. Maybe the strippers have tassels on their nipples like duke3d?
12:56pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Mr.Bumpy
Melbourne, Victoria
407 posts
It's duke man! It's definitely NOT going to live up to 12 years of development time and all the hype surrounding it, but it will be one fun ride. In my opinion anyway.

Check out steam for a purchase, should be able to get it close to release time for $50 bucks, so long as they don't add an Australian tax.

I agree, Duke should be fun, but no Australian tax on Steam? You're kidding, right?
12:58pm 10/02/11 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
95 posts
PAX is USA though isnt it? And they could easily unblur a promotional vid to make it extra awesome before bluring the vid/game that needs to be rated here in Aus.
12:58pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
5169 posts

I agree, Duke should be fun, but no Australian tax on Steam? You're kidding, right?
Correct me if i'm wrong but Borderlands wasn't bumped up in price for aussies on steam, So that leads me to believe this won't be either.
01:05pm 10/02/11 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
96 posts
Correct me if i'm wrong but Borderlands wasn't bumped up in price for aussies on steam, So that leads me to believe this won't be either.

Price was extra if i remember right cause it was like $80 or $90 new on steam for Aussies.

Although more companies seem to be dropping the tax and some even give aussies a better price than USA due to exchange rate i assume. (With regards to steam pricing structure i mean).
01:07pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
796 posts
Wow, did not expect that. Wicked news!
01:12pm 10/02/11 Permalink
pixem
Sydney, New South Wales
284 posts
How do they review a game? do they get a copy of it or are they shown a video? Because in the trailer all the boobs were blurred (they arent in game). Would be pretty funny if they just showed them a video of it with all the tits blurred out.

bit of both, sometimes they get early code if available, sometimes they get videos showing actual gameplay.
01:14pm 10/02/11 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
4461 posts
What's the deal with naming it 000A? Afraid that if it didn't pass there would be negative media attention?

DeadlyDav0 - Anything under $1000 bought online doesn't get taxed. Did you miss the huge s****torm that occurred when Gary Harvey and other retail a-holes tried to get the government to tax everything bought online?
01:28pm 10/02/11 Permalink
E.T.
Queensland
3439 posts
Good news. Thanks for the heads up DarkJ.
01:30pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
798 posts
Price was extra if i remember right cause it was like $80 or $90 new on steam for Aussies.

Although more companies seem to be dropping the tax and some even give aussies a better price than USA due to exchange rate i assume.

Borderlands was put on Steam at the US price at first, but then after a few days, they corrected it to the $80 mark.
01:31pm 10/02/11 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
98 posts
Anything under $1000 bought online doesn't get taxed. Did you miss the huge s****torm that occurred when Gary Harvey and other retail a-holes tried to get the government to tax everything bought online?

Check steam now. Blops $59.99 for USA steam, $89.99 for AUS steam.
01:33pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
800 posts
Check steam now. Blops $59.99 for USA steam, $89.99 for AUS steam.

That' isn't tax. That is just because we live in Australia.
01:39pm 10/02/11 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
99 posts
That' isn't tax. That is just because we live in Australia.

I thought it was a regionalised tax. Not like GST or anything but a 'f***-em-they-live-in-australia-lets-add-50%' tax.
01:41pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Mr.Bumpy
Melbourne, Victoria
408 posts
DeadlyDav0 - Anything under $1000 bought online doesn't get taxed. Did you miss the huge s****torm that occurred when Gary Harvey and other retail a-holes tried to get the government to tax everything bought online?

The tax being referred to is the exorbitant price discrepancy between country regions for no obvious reason. Example: Medal of Honour is USD$39.99 in Steam US online store, but costs USD$69.99 in the Australian online store.
01:45pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
805 posts
I thought it was a regionalised tax. Not like GST or anything but a 'f***-em-they-live-in-australia-lets-add-50%' tax.

The tax being referred to is the exorbitant price discrepancy between country regions for no obvious reason. Example: Medal of Honour is USD$39.99 in Steam US online store, but costs USD$69.99 in the Australian online store.

It's basically that. Because we live in anywhere but the US, they believe we need to pay more. It's even worse for the euro.

Here, use this site, it compares games to each region, and even finds ones that are cheap http://www.steamprices.com/us

One of the top five rip-offs.

Soldier of Fortune®: Payback

Release: 16th May 2008

au $ 54.99

gbp £ 6.99 » $ 11.22

-79.60%
01:54pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Mordecai
Victoria
550 posts

Problem with that is if they showed blurry tits and then the game didn't have blurry tits the game can/will get pulled off the shelf for having things in the game that the censors weren't made aware of.
03:43pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Dan
Special Text
Brisbane, Queensland
11072 posts
It's basically that. Because we live in anywhere but the US, they believe we need to pay more. It's even worse for the euro.
It's not really that insidious, it's just market forces at work.

If you want to point fingers at who's responsible, point them at anyone that pays those full prices for games. Because as long as Australians keep paying that much, the distributors will keep pricing them that high, it's basic supply and demand. They're businesses trying to make money and they're not going to lower a price just because a few Australian's whine about it online.

If you want things to change, refuse to pay full price and exploit other avenues for legitimately purchasing games cheaper and encourage others to do the same. It's not something that is just going to change over night.

This means: buying more games second hand; taking advantage of games that are distributed online without an international price disparity; importing games from online importers or retailers that can email you the cd key etc. Basically, just make an effort to be an educated consumer and don't just pre-order at the local EB/GAME for the sake convenience.
03:55pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Trauma
Melbourne, Victoria
1141 posts
*High five*
03:57pm 10/02/11 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
103 posts
Problem with that is if they showed blurry tits and then the game didn't have blurry tits the game can/will get pulled off the shelf for having things in the game that the censors weren't made aware of.

So we have to grab it before it gets pulled...
03:58pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
6551 posts
def have to pre-order this s***
04:21pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
813 posts
It's not really that insidious, it's just market forces at work.

If you want to point fingers at who's responsible, point them at anyone that pays those full prices for games. Because as long as Australians keep paying that much, the distributors will keep pricing them that high, it's basic supply and demand. They're businesses trying to make money and they're not going to lower a price just because a few Australian's whine about it online.

If you want things to change, refuse to pay full price and exploit other avenues for legitimately purchasing games cheaper and encourage others to do the same. It's not something that is just going to change over night.

This means: buying more games second hand; taking advantage of games that are distributed online without an international price disparity; importing games from online importers or retailers that can email you the cd key etc. Basically, just make an effort to be an educated consumer and don't just pre-order at the local EB/GAME for the sake convenience.

Oh indeed mate. I agree 100% and am one that doesn't buy from EB games anymore. Actually, the last game I did buy was SC2 and I found it discounted to $50 at JB. All my friends do the same thing, and either a) try and barter the price down or b) import.
05:45pm 10/02/11 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
1910 posts
I don't know if its been said, but just because it made it through censorship does not mean its not a cut down version.
06:32pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
4931 posts
All my friends do the same thing, and either a) try and barter the price down or b) import.

If you're looking at importing then be on the lookout for a new Aussie gaming website coming up in the not too distant future. I've always been a big anti-campaigner when it comes to paying full retail prices here except this time I'm going to do something about it.

Make no mistake, when it's up and running QGL peeps will be looked after!

last edited by Fixah at 18:55:04 10/Feb/11
06:48pm 10/02/11 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
19144 posts
Except teq right
07:17pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Eorl
Gold Coast, Queensland
815 posts
I don't know if its been said, but just because it made it through censorship does not mean its not a cut down version.

If you didn't notice the screenshot, it says it's gone through as Orignial, meaning not cuts.
07:20pm 10/02/11 Permalink
Fixah
Brisbane, Queensland
4932 posts
Except teq right
and Vash.

Nah when my love cums down everyone gets a golden shower.
07:22pm 10/02/11 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
1912 posts
If you didn't notice the screenshot, it says it's gone through as Orignial, meaning not cuts.

Unless the original version that they submitted was cut.... Don't be fooled by clever wording.

I am by no means saying it has been cut. Simply suggesting that just because a game.. any game passes censorship does not mean that it's the same game being released in all regions.

Wait for reviews or Comparatives before buying, or better yet order from overseas.

A classic example of this.. GTA4 was never blocked by the oflc. The "original" version was edited and it passed. The world rejoiced... then once it came out and people compared copies they noticed the edited content.
08:03pm 10/02/11 Permalink
FraktuRe
Gold Coast, Queensland
2883 posts
Today we received the official final artwork from 2K Games (pictured at right), brandishing an MA 15+ rating for "Strong violence, sexual references, crude humour and drug references". That email came with the preemptive answer to the question on everybody's lips: Would we be receiving a toned down version of the game?

"To answer your next question, NO, this game has not been edited in any way for an Australian release."

Hooray! Strippers for everyone!

http://games.on.net/article/11584/Duke_Nukem_Forever_Has_Not_Been_Edited_for_Australia
06:45pm 11/02/11 Permalink
Raider
Brisbane, Queensland
3150 posts
when i saw the preview @ gcap there was no censoring via blurs etc. Full nekidness
07:34pm 11/02/11 Permalink
Sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
6558 posts
wonder how many week it will be on the shelves before some dumb ass mother buys it for there 14yr old and has a big whine about it
07:45pm 11/02/11 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
2486 posts
Not sure if it's been said anywhere in any thread so far but check this sweet s*** out

DNF Balls of Steel edition
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/02/500x_dukenukemballs.jpg

Collectible bust of the greatest alien ass-kicker of all-time
Numbered, limited-edition certificate of authenticity
100-page hardcover book: The History, Legacy & Legend: Duke Nukem Forever Art from the Vault
Duke Nukem Forever postcard series
Duke Nukem Forever radioactive emblem sticker
Duke Nukem Forever collectible comic book
Duke Nukem Forever foldable paper craft
Duke Nukem Forever poker chips
Duke Nukem Forever mini-card deck
Duke Nukem Forever radioactive emblem dice

Via Kotaku

The final kick to the balls? This version costs $100 US. Which means it SHOULD cost us the same but as we all know, we get f***ed hard up the ass when it comes to games and like the Killzone 3 CE which also has a bust looking thing (or giant helmet) i'm betting this will sell for around $250 so my idea is get a pre-order on 1 of these bad boys to a place that ships internationaly.
01:13am 13/02/11 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
5178 posts
Wow, i f*****g want that.
04:01am 13/02/11 Permalink
Protius
Brisbane, Queensland
4297 posts
I've never wanted a collectors edition of a game before but I want that.
08:58am 13/02/11 Permalink
Storm
Brisbane, Queensland
315 posts

Back in the days I worked in the industry, games reviewing was essentially done by the publishers themselves. It involved playing through the whole game, and writing a report highlighting any "objectionable" content. IIRC, if a game was going to be MA15, they required you submit a video showing the ENTIRE game, start to finish, with a set of notes telling them where in the vid they'd find the "objectionable" content - ie the blood, sex, violence or other fun stuff.

Important thing to note here, is the "entire" game - ie all the content you can get to as a gamer. So, if a game had a few different paths, you'd have to record all of the options for the viewing pleasure of the OFLC folks.

Of course, that all might have changed by now, but that's how things worked some years back.
11:19pm 13/02/11 Permalink
DeadlyDav0
Brisbane, Queensland
115 posts
With regards to the chances of a USA version and a AUS version of Duke nukem, i received an email today with info about the collectors pack as DM posted with a picture a few posts above. Along with the picture is the rating (USA i assume) but it lists:
-Blood and gore
-Intense violence
-Mature humour
-Nudity
-Strong language
-Strong sexual content
-Use of drugs and alcohol

Compared to the image in the OP with the Aus rating which lists:
-Strong violence
-Sexual references
-Crude Humour
-Drug References

The aussie rating mentions nothing about language and nudity. Thoughts?

Update: Just browsing elsewhere and i found this:
[UPDATE] 2K Games has released a media statement confirming that Duke Nukem Forever has not been edited or modified in any ahead of its Australian release. Aussies gamers will receive the same version of the game as the rest of the world. Duke Nukem goes on sale Down Under on May 6 on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC.

http://au.gamespot.com/news/6298423.html?tag=recent_news%3Bimg%3B1
11:40pm 13/02/11 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:40pm 13/02/11 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.