There’s a great game at the core of Diablo: Immortal.
Diablo: Immortal Review - Sanctuary Lost
DreamHack Melbourne represents the first time the festival will hit our shores, and it’s on track to become Australia’s requisite gaming event of the year.
DreamHack Melbourne 2022 is Going to Be Huge
Thanks to the Bethesda ANZ, we've got an amazing custom The Elder Scrolls Online Xbox Series S console pack to giveaway in Australia!
Win This Amazing Elder Scrolls Online Xbox Series S Pack
Overwatch 2 is launching this October, and with a big reveal stream showcasing what's in store, we break it all down...
Overwatch 2 - Everything You Need To Know
3Dfx is no more...
VRBones
Sunshine Coast, Queensland
330 posts
As suspected for a while, the floundering 3Dfx company has been bought out by rivals nVidia today.

It's been a long and happy trip for most gamers and their Voodoo's but the times they are a changing. 3Dfx has really been nowhere to be seen in the graphics market in the past 2 years. It seemed that all of a sudden they weren't leading the graphics industry as they once had, but were 2 generations behind the pace. It would have been inconceivable 3 years ago to imagine 3Dfx losing their market domination.

Hopefully 3Dfx will be long remembered as the graphics force that brought the quake revolution ahead, not the problematic company it finished up as.

Long live nVidia! new King of the Hill!
11:32am 16/12/00 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:32am 16/12/00 Permalink
AcidReign
Brisbane, Queensland
533 posts
First post!

ahaha BAM eat it 3DFX u gheysex0rz hope they dun gayafy my tnt
11:41am 16/12/00 Permalink
b2
Brisbane, Queensland
38 posts
HO HO HO acid... you silly little man

here is a link.. klik heer http://www.hardocp.com/articles/3dfx/3dfxgone.html
12:08pm 16/12/00 Permalink
AcidReign
Brisbane, Queensland
536 posts
who u callin little spanky
12:21pm 16/12/00 Permalink
cerb
Brisbane, Queensland
284 posts
12:51pm 16/12/00 Permalink
gomer
Brisbane, Queensland
43 posts
i wonder if they'll continue to make drivers for the voodoo cards, or just expect users to stick with the ones that are available now...
12:59pm 16/12/00 Permalink
g0dfr3y
Brisbane, Queensland
30 posts
Hopefully nvidia can combine the best of both technologies now. I have always wondered how fast the market and technology could grow in the 3d area if the big guns all got together and shared their patents/ideas/expertise.

All nvidia needs now is a card that will do true FSAA & HSR added onto their cards (which the nv20 prolly will have anyway) and more bandwidth to the ram.

Oh well
01:06pm 16/12/00 Permalink
Barak
Brisbane, Queensland
891 posts
f*** that is s***** news to say the least....well that's exaggerating, it bothers me not much.
but i hope this means the next nvidia card has glide support

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hwinwood/1.jpg

GLIDE = FAST
01:38pm 16/12/00 Permalink
AcidReign
Brisbane, Queensland
537 posts
er .. no Glide=proprietory GAY! its not faster its just outdated, incompatatble and S***!.

i hope that this merger results in the creation of a better glide wrapper so that opengl cards can be used for older glide games.

but i never want to see a game that supports glide rendering stock ever again.
02:51pm 16/12/00 Permalink
Armadillo
Mackay, Queensland
15 posts
you can kiss your 'cheap' ($400+ is *not* cheap) video cards goodbye, unless ATI picks there game up a lot.
competition good
monopoly bad
04:37pm 16/12/00 Permalink
Zoix
Queensland
194 posts
3DFX FOREVER!@!@!@!@!@

my 3 3dfx cards will out live you ALL!!!!!!!!

SLI 0wn5 j00
04:45pm 16/12/00 Permalink
Freewheelin
Brisbane, Queensland
44 posts
nvidia would have released the gf2mx to make sure they make money..people will buy cheap cards. they know that if every vid card costs $500+ that sales will drop because people simply cant afford that much. it won't be the end of cheaps cards at all, just that more expensive and faster cards are available. look at cpus for e.g. duron and celeron ... to cater for the not so rich. even though there is the amd vs. intel thing, they know people need an affordable alternative to thier high end products.
04:50pm 16/12/00 Permalink
AnaRoT
Queensland
1118 posts
Stop posting your picture Hugh you feminazi!!!

Yeah I don't really like the idea of one company having monopoly. I mean they may still make cheaper value cards but they will charge millions for the state of the art ones cos they know that some f*** will buy no matter the cost, and that takes it outa reach for most ppl. Which is obviously gay.

And Hugh - Glide = S***. Ask any engine designer or anyone who has anything to do with the graphics industry and they will tell you that. It used to be awesome years ago but now its been totally eclipsed by OpenGL and your other engine of choice, D3D.
05:48pm 16/12/00 Permalink
AnaRoT
Queensland
1119 posts
Sorry I meant renderer of choice, engine....
05:48pm 16/12/00 Permalink
Barak
Brisbane, Queensland
895 posts
for a start you probably woudl have no idea
secondly i still play games that run best with dlide or only support glide, so i want glide back

http://users.bigpond.net.au/hwinwood/1.jpg

you love me
05:53pm 16/12/00 Permalink
AnaRoT
Queensland
1123 posts
I would have no idea? I was a gamer while you where still calling us geeks for using ICQ remember dips***. I have had a graphics card from pretty much every 3d generation, I started with a 4 meg Riva 128 (which was surprisingly good - tonnes faster than voodoo1), then had a 12 meg voodoo2 with a Riva ZX, then I got a TNT2. I haven't got a geforce yet thoug :(

SO I think I know about glide and s*** ok, considering after I got my TNT2 I swore I would never buy a 3DFX card again cos I thought my V2 was good, but it was sadness compared to the TNT - a joke. GLide is DEAD - face it.
06:06pm 16/12/00 Permalink
Zoix
Queensland
195 posts
not in my world, glide will come back, and overtake opengl.

I eat pizza.
07:26pm 16/12/00 Permalink
Barak
Brisbane, Queensland
897 posts
that's very interesting john but ive had a pc and played games for longer than you so your speech is totally useless
07:32pm 16/12/00 Permalink
AcidReign
Brisbane, Queensland
538 posts
no it isnt, cause you like glide and he doesnt so he wins.
07:45pm 16/12/00 Permalink
AcidReign
Brisbane, Queensland
540 posts
and the fact that you keep posting a picture of someone that is obviously a repressed homosexual adds even more fuel to his argument.
07:46pm 16/12/00 Permalink
Barak
Brisbane, Queensland
900 posts
the propper term is "artist"
07:47pm 16/12/00 Permalink
AnaRoT
Queensland
1127 posts
hahahah artist hhahahaa well said Hugh :P

But you see my PC has been at the forfront of techology since I have had one until now so I have fully experienced glide and the rest as they have progressed, and I have spent hours reading about that s*** on the net during my spares at school as well. Like I said before - glide used to be awesome but it is just out of date now.
07:59pm 16/12/00 Permalink
Barak
Brisbane, Queensland
903 posts
there are stillplenty of games and engines that are used today that kick arse on 3dfx cards, like the HL and UT engine
08:47pm 16/12/00 Permalink
Barak
Brisbane, Queensland
904 posts
plus final fantasy 7 only uses glide or software...soi kind of want glide back for wheni play it through again
08:49pm 16/12/00 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
39 posts
UT bahahahahahahahahahahaha
HL BAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Ok I'm over it. Just look at the games coming out that will be coded for opengl, I think pretty much every new game. And have you seen the games T&L list, omfg.
09:51pm 16/12/00 Permalink
Armadillo
Mackay, Queensland
20 posts
the riva 128 rocks.
i only just recently upgraded my 4mb riva 128 to a gf2 gts.

it used to run quake3 at 640*480 at a very playable speed (26+ fps), granted image quality was dodgy, but at least it went.
09:22am 17/12/00 Permalink
AcidReign
Brisbane, Queensland
540 posts
afaik hl performs just as well in opengl as it does in glide, if not better.

and UT, yeah well 'f****'
11:16am 17/12/00 Permalink
Typodemon
Brisbane, Queensland
87 posts
The only reason I went from a banshee to a v3 3000 was simply because tribes 1 used glide.

Tribes2 doesn't geforce2 here I come baby
02:38pm 17/12/00 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
84 posts
Half Life doesn't use glide, doesn't it just use 3dfx's dodgy opengl wrapper to convert OpenGL calls into Glide calls? Anyone in their right mind can see that cannot possibly be better or faster.

3dfx were good during the reign of the voodoo 2 12 meg SLI rig, but as soon as TNT2's started 0wning, 3dfx was done for.
06:27pm 17/12/00 Permalink
shad
Brisbane, Queensland
40 posts
Their marketing strategy was doomed. The writing was on the wall when I read about them saying "But game developers dont need 32 bit color"
03:34am 18/12/00 Permalink
Nitro
Queensland
31 posts
Do you run in 32bit colour?

12:55am 19/12/00 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:55am 19/12/00 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.