School's back in session, with today's science experiment being the merging of Fire Emblem and Dynasty Warriors.
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes Review
There’s a great game at the core of Diablo: Immortal.
Diablo: Immortal Review - Sanctuary Lost
DreamHack Melbourne represents the first time the festival will hit our shores, and it’s on track to become Australia’s requisite gaming event of the year.
DreamHack Melbourne 2022 is Going to Be Huge
Thanks to the Bethesda ANZ, we've got an amazing custom The Elder Scrolls Online Xbox Series S console pack to giveaway in Australia!
Win This Amazing Elder Scrolls Online Xbox Series S Pack
Doom 3!
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
15052 posts
Doom 3 has, after several years of development, been released in Australia, and is now available from major retail outlets. The RRP seems to be around $99.95 but I'm sure other users would be interested if anyone can find it cheaper and let everyone know. Go get it!
09:48am 03/08/04 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:48am 03/08/04 Permalink
Dan
Brisbane, Queensland
6677 posts
PS, DOOM 3!!!
09:50am 03/08/04 Permalink
Murderer
Tasmania
1092 posts
I think people are gonna have to buy new PC Parts b4 getting Doom3, I know I would... that way by the time I could afford the s*** I need doom3 would be cheaper too!

\o/ ID SOFTWARE!

Carmack is god... remember that.
10:00am 03/08/04 Permalink
Nailbomb
Melbourne, Victoria
1317 posts
got my copy. going to see if i can take it back to EB and get another one though, they promised me a demon figurine and i ended up with a lost soul... lost souls are gay, i wantz my demon ;)
10:05am 03/08/04 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
15053 posts
I got a lost soul too, which was awesome because its like the only figurine I dont already have!
10:12am 03/08/04 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Brisbane, Queensland
8862 posts
System specs...

XP2800
9700 Pro
1gig DDR RAM PC3200

I've got the game running in Medium detail but with everything turned on and it runs fine and looks f*****g beautiful. Had it set at High detail but it started to get choppy but even in Medium at 1024 I'm f*****g impressed with what it looks like. If you thought Farcry looks nice, well the detail in this is unbelievable.

The game itself plays as smooth as the Quake series, not like some games that just feel sluggish when moving around. Level detail is gorgeous, sorta like when you first played Farcry and you saw the water effect and the plants and you're like, f*** me dead, that looks nice. Lots of wicked shadow effects with swinging lights, monsters and heaps of other stuff I can't even remember.

I'm not very far into the game at all and I've already had the absolute s*** scared outta me many numerous times. It's like you don't wanna walk around a dark corner because something might be there but it might not also. Damn freaky and there's been a few times I've sworn out aloud because a creature has scared the f*** outta me by smashing thru a grate or when you open a door and there's a f*****g alien waiting on the other side. This game is so much damn fun to play and really keeps you on the edge of your seat.

I love s*** like this!!!

8-)
10:22am 03/08/04 Permalink
Irhabi
Brisbane, Queensland
1226 posts
got my copy. going to see if i can take it back to EB and get another one though, they promised me a demon figurine and i ended up with a lost soul... lost souls are gay, i wantz my demon ;)

you think you got jipped....i just went to pick up my Pre-order copy, and they dont have it yet!! and they dont have any figurines either, Dont ever buy from EB in the City....they lie.
10:23am 03/08/04 Permalink
BoBa
Brisbane, Queensland
1529 posts
It feels like im palying farcry except i'm blind and can't see s***
10:24am 03/08/04 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
15054 posts
boba, try and find a kid on the street to explain why its dark, they can prolly help
10:25am 03/08/04 Permalink
thrax
Brisbane, Queensland
2739 posts
When will cogs surpport be up? :)
10:28am 03/08/04 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
15055 posts
When they release a server version that is usable
10:28am 03/08/04 Permalink
Nailbomb
Melbourne, Victoria
1318 posts
went back... got a demon. Also the cd case I got was broken which was another reason for taking it back. Very dodgy packaging they put it in, the cd case sucks pretty bad and breaks very easy.... they really should have used a DVD style case, when I took it back they opened up three more copies for me and all three were broken, i ended up just taking the last one because it was the least broken.

Trog, how did you manage to get all the other figurines? which ones are there? I only know of the Demon, Lost Soul, Mancubus & Hell Knight.
10:31am 03/08/04 Permalink
BoBa
Brisbane, Queensland
1530 posts
I know why it's dark, I just don't like it. Having to always have the torch out so you can see what you are doing is gay.
10:32am 03/08/04 Permalink
natslovR
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
719 posts
For those that care it doesn't let you install it on Windows 2003, even when forcing the setup utility in to XP or Win2000 compatibility mode. It pops up a dialog saying that it can only be installed on Windows XP and Windows 2000. I tried changing setup.ini settings to no avail, it just won't install.

The work around is to create a directory on your HD, eg Doom3. Then from each of the three CDs copy the contents of the \Setup directory to your doom3 directory.

Double click on the doom3.exe and away you go.

Thankfully you can still enter your CDKey in the multiplayer section of the game, and as far as I can tell don't miss out on anything by not having used the setup utility.
10:32am 03/08/04 Permalink
Superform
Cairns, Queensland
1913 posts
haha yeah... id tell you all about how awesome the graphics are...

you: well what graphics...

id: the ones there... in the dark room... we spent hours on them... they look awesome...

you: yeah i'm looking but its all dark...

id: yeah i know isnt they great!!
10:36am 03/08/04 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
8035 posts
Ok, I take back *some* of the s*** I was giving Doom 3, its actually turned out pretty cool. The single player actually has a lot more depth and atmosphere to it than I expected, so I like that.

It runs reasonably well on my system (Celeron 2.6 with radeon 9600xt). I originally had it in 1024x768, medium detail with everything on and it was ok, but chunked up a bit if a lot was going on. I turned specular lighting off, and that improved it, but it didn't look as sexy, so I turned that back on and dropped it to 800x600 and now its great. Theres a couple of jaggies here and there from the lower res, but nothing too noticeable, and it still looks better in 800x600 with all the sexy options turned on than it does in 1024x768 with some of the sexy options turned off.

I'm not too far in, but I've already jumped at least 3 times. I'm yet to scream like a girl though, but I'm sure its only a matter of time.
10:44am 03/08/04 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Brisbane, Queensland
8863 posts
At first I hated the idea of not being able to hold the torch and a gun at the same time but I can sorta see why they've done it like this. But in saying that I still think that not having the pistol and torch combo is rather lame. 'Sif you can't hold one in each hand.
10:46am 03/08/04 Permalink
AceTAME
Brisbane, Queensland
509 posts
hey reverend... what sorta frames you getting ?

i've got basically the same system
10:51am 03/08/04 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
15056 posts
Trog, how did you manage to get all the other figurines? which ones are there? I only know of the Demon, Lost Soul, Mancubus & Hell Knight.
I ordered them a couple of years ago.

I'll take a photo of the ones I have and post

edit: photo

Not very good quality but you should be able to make most of them out. I have Imps, Pain Elemental Archvile, Cyberdemon, Revenant, Cacodemon, Demon, Heavy Weapons Dude, Shotgun guy, soldier, and Player.

last edited by trog at 11:06:07 03/Aug/04
10:56am 03/08/04 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
8536 posts
quake IV
11:03am 03/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
512 posts
i cant drag it through the s*** just yet because the dam thing crashes. from the tiny bit i have seen though i might actually enjoy it.

first game i've ever bought that crashes without me overclocking the crap out of something or fiddling with config files.
11:08am 03/08/04 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
5956 posts
farqen' my PC is broken and Doom3 is out :( Oh well, just placing an order for new bits :D

Damn I can't wait to play this...I'm going to be playing it at nighttime only, headphones on, everything around darkened. Should be fun.

last edited by orbitor at 11:12:13 03/Aug/04
11:10am 03/08/04 Permalink
Superform
Cairns, Queensland
1914 posts
fark... u should be able to attach the torch to 1 selected gun...

i mean i can imagine there is only 1 torch... so it would look silly to have the torch on all the time...

but marines guns usually have a torch strapped to the barrel
11:18am 03/08/04 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Brisbane, Queensland
8864 posts
hey reverend... what sorta frames you getting ?

Dunno how to check plus frame counts dont bother me. As long as it's smooth then I'm happy.
11:20am 03/08/04 Permalink
BoBa
Brisbane, Queensland
1531 posts
To do a timedemo press ctrl+alt+~ and type timedemo demo1
11:24am 03/08/04 Permalink
bargain
Brisbane, Queensland
575 posts
moreover, boba, to get console press ctrl+alt+~ and then type in com_allowconsole 1 and then you can just press ~

found this on offtopic

there's also a list of console commands and cheats (if u wanna be lame) if you want me to post them?
11:42am 03/08/04 Permalink
Superform
Cairns, Queensland
1915 posts
Press [~] to access the console, then enter the following codes for desired effect:

god - God mode
noclip - No clip
notarget - Invisibility
freeze - Freeze everything
doomhell - Jump to the last level
give all - All weapons and ammo
give doom95 - Load the '95 version of Doom
give keys - All keys
give weapon_machinegun - Machinegun
give weapon_shotgun - Shotgun
give weapon_plasmagun - Plasmagun
give weapon_bfg - BFG
give weapon_chainsaw - Chainsaw
give weapon_rocketlauncher - Rocket launcher
benchmark - Game benchmark
com_drawfps 1 - Show FPS
aviDemo - Saves a demo of your playing to an AVI movie file
gfxinfo - Graphics card infomation
status - Shows game status
quit - Quit game
11:42am 03/08/04 Permalink
bargain
Brisbane, Queensland
576 posts
nice form.

this also from offtopic. hehe.
11:47am 03/08/04 Permalink
Nailbomb
Melbourne, Victoria
1319 posts
damn it... im not going to be able to play Doom 3 for at least the next week or two. I ordered a 6800 Ultra about a week ago with the promises that it'd be in within 3 or 4 days, rung them this morning and it's been delayed. I'd be able to play it on my current system but because of the GF3 sitting in there it'd be really low res, it's going to be a painfull wait but i want my first time playing it to be at a good res and frame rate.
11:50am 03/08/04 Permalink
thrax
Brisbane, Queensland
2740 posts
Whats the go with nightmare mode disabled? btw this is a pretty farking cool game, the audio is f***** amazing.
12:10pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
513 posts
well, no crashing. now i get sound drop outs.

i aint alone as well.
12:15pm 03/08/04 Permalink
closethedoor
Brisbane, Queensland
2910 posts
Hurry up and end day, Ima drive so fast to the dale! (within the speed limits of course...)
12:30pm 03/08/04 Permalink
thrax
Brisbane, Queensland
2741 posts
hah this is awesome, one of the messages on your PDA tells you need to vist a website on the internet, this means you will have quit the game a type the url to open up one of the cabnets with the code which is on the site. :)
12:30pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Nailbomb
Melbourne, Victoria
1320 posts
Whats the go with nightmare mode disabled?

If it's anything like Serious Sam then you'll have to finish it on Ultra Violence before Nightmare mode is enabled.
12:34pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Booyah
Brisbane, Queensland
1099 posts

Chops that's a friggin awesome deal if you ask me.
12:39pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Psycho!
Brisbane, Queensland
4254 posts
Just getting into it now...I am happy with the way its running too.

Im on a P4 3ghz machine, 1 gig of ram, 9800XT. Running it at 1024x768, NoAA, 4xAF and its running very nicely thankyou. Its is dark but I like it like that, you know being underground on a base on Mars an all..plus it lets stuff jump out at ya and scare you!..

The PDA interaction very much reminds me of the System Shock games. cool so far.

12:42pm 03/08/04 Permalink
BoBa
Brisbane, Queensland
1532 posts
* N U K E D *

By trog
12:45pm 03/08/04 Permalink
scuzzy
Brisbane, Queensland
10622 posts
12:55pm 03/08/04 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
15057 posts
try not to be lame and post spoilers
01:00pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Huntz
Sydney, New South Wales
23 posts
Had to happen. Dunno why id couldn't do it.

Co-op mod

http://www.harvsnews.com/doom3mods/doom3mods.wmv

If you don't want to see the cyberdemon yet don't watch it.

01:04pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Psycho!
Brisbane, Queensland
4255 posts
hehe just played a MP map (tominaka ..reactor level) and found the beserker...and it scared the s*** out of me...

:)

01:06pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
922 posts
Decent enough game, but I dont see anything very original about it.
The PDA is straight out of system shock (alhtough system shock didnt need it to be full screen).
A lot of the set pieces were done in HL years ago, hell I even saw some guy dragged into a vent followed by some chunks of meat coming out after he disappeared.
That doesnt necessarily detract from the game, but it's just something that i noticed (and everyone else probably noticed). And i am only a short way in, so obviously i havent seen all doom3's surprises.
01:18pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
514 posts
i noticed that MY SOUND KEEPS DROPPING!

piece of s***.
01:22pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Psycho!
Brisbane, Queensland
4256 posts
I can't figure out why such a resourceful marine wouldn't take off his belt and strap the damn flashlight to the shotty already!!

If I fired up a server and let it run for an hour or two is it best to just set it as a dedicated one with a p/word that I post here for people visiting the thread to use?

also in the advanced options should I set the server rate to 'Lan' seeing as I am on a 1.5mb line?
01:25pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Psycho!
Brisbane, Queensland
4257 posts
havent had any sound or graphical issues at all...yet. Seems to run very well, what s/card & speakers have you got?
01:27pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
923 posts
Or at least hold the flashlight and pistol like they do in the x-files, or any cop show. (left hand torch, right hand pistol with right wrist resting on left wrist).
01:28pm 03/08/04 Permalink
dRanged
Brisbane, Queensland
608 posts
I've got the marine, caco, imp, cyberdemon, and a revenant all painted too (like plok's one)
One day when I'm old and bored I will make a to-scale e1m2 or e1m5 for them to live in

last edited by dRanged at 13:49:31 03/Aug/04

last edited by dRanged at 13:51:12 03/Aug/04
01:40pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
515 posts
SB Audigy. i've been looking for a solution online and trying different drivers.
01:46pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Darius
Gold Coast, Queensland
2109 posts
f*** ordering online :/ instead of being able to play today ill have to wait till it gets delivered tomorow !!#!#!#
01:47pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Psycho!
Brisbane, Queensland
4258 posts
Odie, Im using a SB Audigy 2 zs and no probs here so far...when does it cut out..randomly or does it happen when you fire a weapon, use a door/console ect?
01:53pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
516 posts
appears random.

also, a guy at OCAU gets the same sort of thing with Soundstorm onboard sound ...
01:56pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Psycho!
Brisbane, Queensland
4259 posts
Odie, have you installed the EAX 4 patch/driver...Creative released a patch on 29/7/2004. It contained the two previously needed fixes for enalbing EAX4 support. I am running with those drivers and another Audigy user over at OCAU has just also posted he is too and has no issues. Might be that, especially if you have selected 'surround sound' in the games options.

Failing that try it on 'stereo' setting and see if it still does it.
02:04pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Sparky
Brisbane, Queensland
168 posts
you think you got jipped....i just went to pick up my Pre-order copy, and they dont have it yet!! and they dont have any figurines either, Dont ever buy from EB in the City....they lie.
Heh, I walked into that very store at 10:35am and got a copy as the dude was unpacking the shipment behind the counter. Lucky too, cause I didn't pre-order and he mentioned they only got an extra 20 copies. Here's to a good 3 days off work! :D
02:12pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
517 posts
i headed to download those drivers but there is no update for a standard audigy.
02:21pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Psycho!
Brisbane, Queensland
4260 posts
i headed to download those drivers but there is no update for a standard audigy.

maybe try dropping your accelleration down one notch in the dxdiag & windows sound options?
02:31pm 03/08/04 Permalink
plok
Brisbane, Queensland
384 posts
How do I get the red key on level 2?
02:50pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
924 posts
idkfa?
02:55pm 03/08/04 Permalink
z0r
Brisbane, Queensland
809 posts
trog, what are you doing reading cleo?
03:02pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
518 posts
yeah i tried that. thanks psycho.

actually though. i may have fixed it with older drivers. i went back to nforce 3.13 drivers from the current ones and i havent had a sound drop out in about an hour.
03:11pm 03/08/04 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
15058 posts
trog, what are you doing reading cleo?
trying to figure out how to make girls like me :(
03:20pm 03/08/04 Permalink
jmr
Brisbane, Queensland
3408 posts
trying to figure out how to make girls like me :(

i'll let you in on a little secret...

...money

last edited by jmr at 15:23:26 03/Aug/04
03:22pm 03/08/04 Permalink
sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
313 posts
lol heres a tip trog, put $100 note hanging out of your pocket and walk through the valley :P instant women
03:23pm 03/08/04 Permalink
benneth
Brisbane, Queensland
629 posts
* N U K E D *

By trog
03:23pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
519 posts
not playing doom 3 might help ... haha make your choice!
03:30pm 03/08/04 Permalink
thrax
Brisbane, Queensland
2742 posts
I've noticed that if you turn off the shadows it will incress performace heaps, I was running @ 800X600 medium details with shadows on which would cause some shuttering, than I cranked it up to 1280x1042 on ultra detail with shadows truned off and it will run very nicly I must say.
03:33pm 03/08/04 Permalink
w
New South Wales
98 posts
Electronics Boutique Moore Park $89.95.
03:43pm 03/08/04 Permalink
dangles
Queensland
2879 posts
doesnt running without shadows defeat the purpose of the game in a way?
03:49pm 03/08/04 Permalink
DrFrag
Adelaide, South Australia
1504 posts
My mum just woke me up to demand why I hadn't picked up my copy of Doom 3 yet. Next she'll be telling me I can't go outside and play until I beat the Cyberdemon. *sigh* Parents can be so pushy sometimes.
04:00pm 03/08/04 Permalink
BoBa
Brisbane, Queensland
1533 posts
here is a screenshot I took while playing doom3

http://www.shsu.edu/~stdpss12/doom3screenshot.JPG
04:04pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Boxhead
Brisbane, Queensland
9698 posts
^^^^^^ hhahahaahahahahahaha sums it up unfortunately :(

sure it builds atmosphere to a point.. then its just an incumberance
04:08pm 03/08/04 Permalink
natslovR
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
720 posts
turned off some of the things under advanced visuals and cranked up the brightness. Everything is much prettier now.
04:10pm 03/08/04 Permalink
F**nukle
Brisbane, Queensland
2438 posts
^haha i had to laugh boba

though i really dont see the point.
the detail is still there its just that its got a scary atmosphere as well. :)
04:10pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Irhabi
Brisbane, Queensland
1229 posts
Heh, I walked into that very store at 10:35am and got a copy as the dude was unpacking the shipment behind the counter. Lucky too, cause I didn't pre-order and he mentioned they only got an extra 20 copies. Here's to a good 3 days off work! :D

just got my copy now yay.....as soon as uni finishes and i get home, ill be playing all nite...problly all day tomorow....and so on
04:32pm 03/08/04 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
15059 posts
Preliminary COGS support :

http://games.bigpond.com/pc/messageboards/797-672/index.php?action=show&id=2537523

I'd be interested to get some feedback about if it works and how it works for yall.
04:36pm 03/08/04 Permalink
defi
Brisbane, Queensland
1585 posts
me and exis brought it today at eb ayayya no sleep for me tonight
04:38pm 03/08/04 Permalink
JaYMaN
Brisbane, Queensland
113 posts
Looks so sweet on my comp. 1024x768, High Quality, 4x AA, 62.5fps in timedemo demo1. So crisp. Awesome atmosphere.
04:44pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Superform
Cairns, Queensland
1916 posts
just bought it from kmart...

got the poster and the figurine...

tonnes of copies there
05:02pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Nailbomb
Melbourne, Victoria
1323 posts
does anyone know if anywhere has this card or this card in stock right now?
05:06pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Imperial
Brisbane, Queensland
124 posts
k, can someone help me with the refreshrates in doom, im usin an ati 9600xt and have turned 'DDC' off but i still only get 60 hz >:

any ideas thx
05:37pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Raider
Brisbane, Queensland
1652 posts
i got home from uni decided to call up EB if they didn't have it i wouldn't get it but they had 1 copy left... reserve that please :)

im running everything on high to test out my new pc

p4 3.2gig, radeon x800 pro 256mb, 1gig ddr

only chugged in 1 area and it wasn't even really a chug... flames, monsters.. marines.:D

mad atmosphere
05:42pm 03/08/04 Permalink
ravn0s
Brisbane, Queensland
1209 posts
wonder if i should buy the game... nah!
05:45pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
3471 posts
Watched Odie play it for a while

looks like they basically went "ok whats cool in other games we can steal?"

and then copied HL as best they could adding better graphics and some other things from other games that are cool (i.e the palm pilot from system shock?).
05:51pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Darius
Gold Coast, Queensland
2110 posts
lol
05:52pm 03/08/04 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
1298 posts
ooks like they basically went "ok whats cool in other games we can steal?"

So, your saying that any game that uses a gun has stolen it from the first game that ever used a gun.

meh really, who cares.? As long as the feature is implemented well.
05:58pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Superform
Cairns, Queensland
1917 posts
the graphics... gawd damn...

i tried to turn everything up ... looked f***** awesome... but choppy...

so turned it all down... and the graphics are noticable worse...

seems like a card upgrade is required...

i only got a 9800se though
06:04pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Superform
Cairns, Queensland
1918 posts
the other thing is... when u turn everything right up it says it needs over 500 meg of texture memory...

r there cards planned for the near future that have 512mb texture memory?

seems it would be faster to have it there then in ram
06:06pm 03/08/04 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
1063 posts
Yeah it does seem rather ridiculous not have a maglite attached to your gun.

I mean to say AvP2 had a good system where you had the shoulder mounted torch that only lit up a small area and the charge ran down rather quickly. So even in really dark spots the aliens could still get ya even if you had the torch on. Hang on, then again they had that in gay-life too!?

P.S i dont have the game.
06:14pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Superform
Cairns, Queensland
1919 posts
haha ya went through the speil of the game... UAC is the most advanced research facility bla bla... but they cant produce a weapon that has a light attached to the barrel...
06:21pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Paveway-3
Brisbane, Queensland
1327 posts
i want hl2 to come out :'(
06:24pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Makaveli
USA
1411 posts
It would ruin the whole f***en game if there was something that took the shadows out.
06:26pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Farseeker
Brisbane, Queensland
1211 posts
you're all those people who sit through movies picking apart each detail, aren't you. it improves gameplay/atmosphere; just enjoy the experience.
06:27pm 03/08/04 Permalink
sc00bs
Brisbane, Queensland
320 posts
yes doom 3 is so over-rated, wow pretty graphics o0o0o, i bet it turns out to have the s***test story line ever and that you all throw it out in a week or two. Also, if there is multiplayer it will lick d***.

On the other hand hl2 will ripe ass on doom 3. It has a cool gravity gun.. does doom 3 have that? i think not, there is no way doom is better.

a none biased comparison between hl2 and doom3 :D
06:29pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Makaveli
USA
1412 posts
seriously, just take the game for what it is. Don't nit pick the f*** out of it. No i'm not an Id fan boy and i personally dont like them much at all.
Insolence
Brisbane, Queensland
2056 posts
looks like i'm in the minority but i actually like having the flashlight separate. Imo it adds to the moodiness of the game. I can understand why others may not like it, but theyre clearly in the wrong :D
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
520 posts
fade was saying that in the simplest way possible.

but really, my impression of doom is that its just a very dark bog standard shooter. i do like the atmosphere, but its not as scary as a lot of people seem to indicate.

dont take that to mean i dont enjoy it. so far i really do. the sound and level design are the best points in the game for me. it even has a fair few of those old doom traps where rooms open next to you and imps pop out, so some of the old doom is in there.

biggest annoyance with gameplay is the flashlight -> shoot -> flashlight crap all the time and the fact its not hard to predict traps and you kinda get bored looking behind you every time the lights go out.

the graphics are good, but i think it needed to come out a little earlier (farcry :P). some models are a little low on the poly count and for some reason i feel the textures lack a little something. the lighting is where its at with the graphics, but still its not perfect. soft edged shadows woulda been the s***. (anyone seen the unreal 3 tech demo? amazing graphics there).

i have a few other gripes, like the copy protection, my sound dropping etc. but ...

f*** it. i'm going to go play some more.
06:32pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Paveway-3
Brisbane, Queensland
1328 posts
i've not played the game, but stfu up reboot, you sound like a knob
06:33pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
521 posts
motion tracker > flashlight

blip ........ blip ..... blip ... blip . blip blip blip blip DEAD

:P
06:36pm 03/08/04 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
1064 posts
I agree with what u guys are saying. But I think it forces you to suspend your disbelief to insane levels... just for the sake of "atmosphere".

It kinda reminds me of that absurd movie "Signs". It was spooky as all f*** but totally ruined by the fact that the audience was supposed to believe that Aliens that had mastered space travel came to Earth to take over armed only with claws and fart gas. Not to mention the fact that they could be quite easily killed with a glass of water and an old wooden baseball bat.

The moral of the story is that we all understand that in Sci-Fi games and movies .. suspending a bit of logic is healthy. But forcing us to swallow high-level stupidity detracts from the enjoyment of the film/game.

$0.02

last edited by sLaps_Forehead at 18:40:39 03/Aug/04
06:37pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Sparky
Brisbane, Queensland
169 posts
I've been playing it quite a bit and have really only used the torch in 3 places, maybe it's my LCD I dunno. I was starting to get extremely bored with the game when I reached and continued on in the AlphaLab, it just looked dull and was fairly repetitive. Having said that, another hour and I'm starting to enjoy the surroundings and new arsenal.
06:54pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Fade2Black
Brisbane, Queensland
3472 posts
Yeah nice.. use guns as the example..

how about those health things on the wall? I spose those weren't copied from HL? From what I saw there really wasn't anything new to the game, oh and the game play = "strafe then shoot" or the other old favourite "run backwards shooting" I dunno maybe I expect to much from game creaters when I hope for something new or different or creative from a new game, not just "this was a good thing in this game lets use it" all the way through (so far).

Anyways I apologise to all the iD fanboys that are to stupid to think of anything other than "OMG AS IF DISS GUNS!!!!"
06:57pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Psycho!
Brisbane, Queensland
4261 posts
yep they have taken a lot of stuff from other games and thrown them in here. The medihealth stations..straight out of Half Life, the PDA/emails ect....straight out of System Schock series ect.., the flashlight and dark spookiness ...Alien V Predator 2..but then again they did create the genre so I think they are entitled a little slack in these areas. :)

I think the engine is very good and it will be interesting to see how Quake 4 turns out and what the mod community do with it.

However, I do feel that the Cry engine did steal a bit of Id's thunder by being released earlier in Far Cry. Admittedly they looked like they got that out the door a tad early but some of the lighting in the darky atmospheric areas of Far Cry were excellent. On the other hand I find that Doom3 runs much better than Far Cry does with the same setting between games on my machine.

On the whole I am enjoying it and ys the niggling little details can detract sometimes...I just wish I could find some night vision goggles in here somewhere!!
06:59pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Paveway-3
Brisbane, Queensland
1329 posts
fade has cs/hl running through his viens, as if you can blame him
07:02pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Psycho!
Brisbane, Queensland
4263 posts

It kinda reminds me of that absurd movie "Signs". It was spooky as all f*** but totally ruined by the fact that the audience was supposed to believe that Aliens that had mastered space travel came to Earth to take over armed only with claws and fart gas. Not to mention the fact that they could be quite easily killed with a glass of water and an old wooden baseball bat.

agree...heheh funniest thing about Signs is that this race of galaxy travelling aliens can't even open a bloody door ffs!
07:07pm 03/08/04 Permalink
WhiteWolf
Brisbane, Queensland
711 posts
psycho, can you kill a wild boar with your hands?

long forgotten skills that arn't required anymore. for them its door opening :)8
07:43pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Superform
Cairns, Queensland
1921 posts
well its not that it takes the shadows out... the light makes its own shadows... and its a good flashlight effect... easily the best i have ever seen...

but if your in a dark room you could only see where the torch is... and its not that bright... so it would still have the scarey shadow factor... but u could see what you were shooting at...

07:49pm 03/08/04 Permalink
spoon
Brisbane, Queensland
802 posts
Did you all whinge like this when the original doom was released??
All this game is meant to be is a retelling of d1, basically a remake with pretty graphics and more insight into the plot of it. Stop f*****g b****ing and whinging and just play the f*****g game F***
08:00pm 03/08/04 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
1065 posts
^ Fark! Buy that man a blow-job.
08:06pm 03/08/04 Permalink
CSIRAC
Brisbane, Queensland
1087 posts
they were weak to water AND wood :) thats why barracading the house was so effective in holding them off.
08:09pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Makaveli
USA
1414 posts
I liked signs.
09:06pm 03/08/04 Permalink
LightAssassin
Brisbane, Queensland
283 posts
Woo... Yay for Boganfield (AKA Morayfield) craphole of a place but the EB up here was great.

Got my pinky demon and free lost soul.. got the stick but something has happened to the poster... they are finding out and calling me (and others who pre-ordered).

Got the game home around 1:30pm and been playing it since...

It is Doom with more story and some cool stuff. I saw the medistations and laughed... The gameplay is pretty fast paced at times and you do kinda go "uh... that looks excatly the same as the other room". All in all a fun game, nothing brand new really... but just plain fun. It gets 10 in my books just because it keeps the flow going (yeah the demons popping up from everywhere does kinda get dull... but the more you're willing to become apart of the "OMG I Don't want to die" the better.

id isn't known for their SP experiences but they did create a good SP game imo. Can't wait to get on my mates DSL and try the multi... but it seems to be pretty fast paced and fun. Sprinting keeps the pace up by heaps.

Anyway, waiting for a game from Raven which isn't Q4 for the sweet SP experience and Quake 4 for the multiplayer... however, D3 looks like it could provide some awsome MP gaming.

Finally... the modding possiblities are yet to be seen. I expect good things (=

Not the Best SP game... but a well done experience... wanna nit pick it? sure... it has its problems... have you played Counter-Strike?...
09:15pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Raider
Brisbane, Queensland
1653 posts
Gotta love the mini gun :)

Also, if anyone has a decent PC i suggest you try run it on Ultra high gfx...

the graphics at this level are very very good :D

3.2gig, x800 radeon, 1gig ddr is what i am running on
09:24pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Loki
Brisbane, Queensland
4673 posts
So far in Alpha Labs and while some things have been cool (introducing new enemies with cut scenes) Running through the same s***-boring predictable labs is starting to annoy me =|
*run into room*
*lights blow/flicker off*
*pitch black*
"OH I DIDNT SEE THAT COMING"
*rolleyes*
*run into next room*
*lights blow/flicker off*
*repeat x10*

And the darkness is just being a pain in the fkn ass, run around with torch, find enemy, unholster gun... OH WAIT, I CAN'T SEE S***...
Fire and hope that the reticle gets the red 'hit' signal.

It was awesome to begin with [Imps breaking out of the floor etc. was definately not predictable at the time], just being too predictable at the moment for my liking...

Still looks good enough for me in 640x480 lowest detail for me not to b**** about having to run on low detail though =)

last edited by Loki at 21:40:30 03/Aug/04
09:36pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
522 posts
every single one of my mates i;ve shown it to have said the same things.

1. hey that was like half-life
2. uhhh bit dissapointing.

that doesnt necassarily mean they think it sucks, but i have to agree with them in a way. you wait this long for a game and it gets the build up like doom 3 has ... and you expect more than just a corridor shooter in the dark.
09:41pm 03/08/04 Permalink
scooby
Brisbane, Queensland
1978 posts
the mini-gun enemies are annoying
09:44pm 03/08/04 Permalink
g0t bea[n]
Brisbane, Queensland
432 posts
10:32pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Raider
Brisbane, Queensland
1654 posts
thats gotta be... not right
10:35pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Brisbane, Queensland
8866 posts
The torch thing can get annoying but I think it's to keep you on the edge. There's been so many times of been looking with the torch, something's jumped out and scared the f*** outta me and I've been hitting keys to try and get the shotty out. Damn funny and if you're not cheating with god mode it makes the game alot of fun. Would've been nice if the light showed a bit more but I can live with it.

So far I've had fun playing this since most other FPS are standard shoot and kill without the tension.

8-)
10:43pm 03/08/04 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
3799 posts
The same bunch of pansies always think games are too built up and hyped.

Stop posting on forums five times a day about games that aren't out yet and maybe when they are out you'll enjoy them.
10:46pm 03/08/04 Permalink
F**nukle
Brisbane, Queensland
2443 posts
omg^
Exactly
11:01pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Irhabi
Brisbane, Queensland
1230 posts
well i have finnally played it...its great played it at High settings at 1024 ran with out a hitch.
system:
P4 24GHz
1gig king max ram
Leadtech A36-->nVidia Gforce FX 5700 128mb

yes doom 3 is so over-rated, wow pretty graphics o0o0o, i bet it turns out to have the s***test story line ever and that you all throw it out in a week or two. Also, if there is multiplayer it will lick d***.

On the other hand hl2 will ripe ass on doom 3. It has a cool gravity gun.. does doom 3 have that? i think not, there is no way doom is better.

a none biased comparison between hl2 and doom3 :D

you are an idiot...there s no need to get gelous and say stupid things...go have a cry somewhere else!

last edited by Irhabi at 23:06:25 03/Aug/04
11:04pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
523 posts
disagree there nats.

but anyway. mm chainsaw. chainsawing cacodemons is almost like the old days.
11:06pm 03/08/04 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
15065 posts
I've just played my first hour or so, and I'm massively impressed.

This is basically the exact game that I was expecting and so far I haven't been let down.

My sister moved out today; I bought some Logitech z640 Dolby speakers yesterday and I've converted her room into a Doom room. I bought the game at 9am, and waited until 9pm (with much pain) to move all my furniture around so I could play it they way it was supposed to be played.

I've had quite a few jumps so far and I'm really digging the style of gameplay. I pity those of you who aren't playing it like this - its important to remember that its a horror game. There are some funny comments in this thread so far like sc00bs's priceless newb post.

Its running sweet as on my P4 3ghz with Radeon 9800 XT, though I had to upgrade to the 4.6 catalyts (was using 4.3, I think) because it kept crashing to desktop. The sound is awesome and the graphics are basically what you'd expect from id.

There have been some really cleverly scripted elements that have scared the s*** out of me. The monsters climbing out of holes in the floor and bashing through walls is awesome!

Seriously, if you're not playing it like its a horror game (in the dark with the sound cranked) you're probably not going to enjoy it. If you expected anything else then you obviously didn't read anything anyone said about this game before it was released. Don't worry, Half-Life 2 will be out soon!

I'm going back for some more; hopefully they haven't just crammed all the good stuff in the first hour or so (like in Unreal, except replace "hour" with "5 minutes").
11:43pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Loki
Brisbane, Queensland
4674 posts
This doesn't scare me:-
It annoys the s*** out of me when I can't hit something 2 feet in front of me =)

I mean, the other parts are really awesome where the lighting is -low- and sets a cool atmosphere but isn't so spastically impossible to aim kinda low =)

last edited by Loki at 00:31:58 04/Aug/04
11:51pm 03/08/04 Permalink
Psycho!
Brisbane, Queensland
4266 posts
yes trog the more I play it the more and more it sucks me in...when you consider the amount of detail they put into creating the environments and such, you really do get that clastrophobic feeling of being on a space base. Then you really get a hold of how 'alone' you really are.

You have the same rig as me and stick with the Cats 4.6...dont go higher at the mo...they are rock solid so far and I have not had one issue with the game at all.

Did some timedemo testing

at 1024x768 High quality,
high quality textures in the ATI control panel
no AA
4xAF
vsync off

42.5 fps

new vid card will just increase the joy....just gotta find one.

been playing it in a completely dark room with the Zalman surround sound headphones on and basically scaring the s*** out of myself.

last edited by Psycho! at 23:53:47 03/Aug/04
11:52pm 03/08/04 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
1066 posts
Been reading alot of forums about it. Most ppl are a bit disappointed by it .. gameplay wise that is.

However not one person has said that the graphics are bad .. except that it gets so dark.

I think as an 'all-round' game i.e SP+MP+Co-op (which seems to be what most ppl expected after all this hype) it doesnt quite get there.

The plus side to these mild drawbacks is that ppl are stoked about the upcoming MOD's and high expectations of Quake 4!

last edited by sLaps_Forehead at 23:55:32 03/Aug/04
11:55pm 03/08/04 Permalink
rubba-chikin
Brisbane, Queensland
4080 posts
I'm enjoying it, atmosphere is great.

Only have a 2100+ clocked at 2.3 ghz and a GF4 Ti 4200 with its nuts oc'ed off!

Running 800 x 600 medium quality and its running surprisingly smooth, I've only had 2 occasions where its chugged when a million enemies came out in a big open area.

The torch is beginning to s*** me off, I really think you should at least be able to hold the pistol with it.

The labs are getting a bit repetitive, but I'm starting to collect cells so I forsee a new weapon in the near future woo :)

Definately had some s*** my pants moments with some badass jumping out of somewhere, the audio just makes it even more scary.

Well, back to it! :D
12:08am 04/08/04 Permalink
Habib
Brisbane, Queensland
62 posts
hmm I don't get how ppl are b****ing about the darkness/flashlight, I've hardly used the flashlight (only up to alpha labs at the moment)

anyhow, the game is awesome, the little MP I've played though has been VERY laggy, seemed like whoever was the server's machine/connection just couldn't hack it.... apparently there's a patch coming out to fix the MP lagginess?
12:09am 04/08/04 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
15067 posts
Been reading alot of forums about it. Most ppl are a bit disappointed by it .. gameplay wise that is.
Hmm, I'm finding the opposite
However not one person has said that the graphics are bad .. except that it gets so dark.
Yeh, all the gamma whores sure have come out of the closet. Guess what guys, its supposed to be dark! They even give you a flashlight so you can look around at stuff, and it appears brighter.
I think as an 'all-round' game i.e SP+MP+Co-op (which seems to be what most ppl expected after all this hype) it doesnt quite get there
I don't know why people would have expected that - id have said from pretty much day dot that it is first and foremost a single player game and it wouldn't have coop.

I've always thought that many people would be 'disappointed' by Doom 3, not because it was a bad game, but because they totally ignored everything that was said about it and came up with their own mental picture of what it would (or should) be. In almost every news post or article or whatever I've written about it I've tried to bring up that its a scary horror game, not a 'traditional' FPS game. You're supposed to go through it and be scared. If you're not, your either not playing it right, or just plain brave!
12:09am 04/08/04 Permalink
thrax
Brisbane, Queensland
2743 posts
I think the start is f***** awesome, when all hell breaks loose and your radio is going nuts with all the people screaming, your just like s***, s*** got to get the f*** out of here! I've sorta finshed the game been playing it since 10am but I think I've got another 2hrs to go roughtly, I think it's money well spent thats for sure!

On the weekend I am going to hook up my 5.1 surround sound system and connect my pc to my 72" Flat HDTV and blackout the windows, and replay it on nighmare mode and do a few things different in certain sections, to see another side of the stroyline.

last edited by thrax at 00:20:46 04/Aug/04
12:14am 04/08/04 Permalink
cobz
Sydney, New South Wales
1189 posts
You jaded motherf*****s, this is what gaming is supposed to be all about.

You have all been tainted by counter-strike
12:15am 04/08/04 Permalink
Loki
Brisbane, Queensland
4675 posts
Guess what guys, its supposed to be dark! They even give you a flashlight so you can look around at stuff, and it appears brighter.
But common, look at my screenshot, there's an imp less than 2 feet in front of me.

I can understand how they have the flashlight separate from the gun as far as trying to scare you works, but you can change from flashlight to gun so fast [almost instantly] it's really irrelevant (except if you want to use anything other than the shotgun at point blank at which point, it's just spray and pray/play 'search for the spot on the black screen that lights up the reticle'). =)
12:17am 04/08/04 Permalink
rolo_tomasi
Brisbane, Queensland
215 posts
wtf hes alive
12:19am 04/08/04 Permalink
rubba-chikin
Brisbane, Queensland
4082 posts
anyone who isnt using the flashlight a lot needs to turn the gamma down, tis a waste of playing the game like that :/
12:21am 04/08/04 Permalink
sacred
Sydney, New South Wales
1161 posts
Loki: If the darkness bothers you that much, go to the console and adjust r_gamma?
12:23am 04/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
524 posts
of course trog was going to be massively impressed by it ... duh

i gotta say something though about the scripted bits, they tend to thin out later on. or at least become forgettable experiences. the best ones are at the start.
12:35am 04/08/04 Permalink
Deadly-Fly
Brisbane, Queensland
2193 posts
On the other hand I find that Doom3 runs much better than Far Cry does with the same setting between games on my machine
I guess something must be wrong with my system then as it is hardly playable at 640x480 at lowest setting on my machine that runs far cry at 1024x768 at highest settings smoothly.

I'll try updating my drivers and defragging my hard disks tomorrow but if it doesn't smooth out I'll be supremly pissed off. I knew I should've waited for the demo to come out :/

12:50am 04/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
526 posts
i find they run similar. doom3 possibly a little slower.
01:14am 04/08/04 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
6937 posts
I don't see how anyone couldn't f*****g love this game. Maybe if you're a nun.

Been playing non-stop since 10 o'clock.
It just feels so right. I predict multiplayer will be huge, once it gets cranking and some mods are out.

last edited by dais at 02:40:26 04/Aug/04
02:06am 04/08/04 Permalink
[Q]
Brisbane, Queensland
7485 posts
Once some 10+ player servers start cranking Doom3DM will rawk. :) Its heaps fun and the physics, all be it small and limited in multi, make for some fun stuff. (Mostly blowing up barrels in front of people)
03:03am 04/08/04 Permalink
Erik-the-Red
Brisbane, Queensland
1495 posts
i've been playing this like trog.

z-640's cracked, lights turned down, detail up, non-gamma whoring

basically been scaring the s*** out of myself, great fun
06:08am 04/08/04 Permalink
stillSpirit
Brisbane, Queensland
1 posts

DOOM III is awesome... buy it!!!

my specs r...

P4 2.4 (533 FSB/512 L2)
512Mb Ram
Asus P4S8X-X Board
ATI 9600XT 256Mb

It recommended 800x600 High graphics for me. I played on 1024x768 on High and it was a little glitchy (but well playable) but on Medium graphics at 1024x768 it is as smooth as silk. And spooky as hell!

Worth the wait!!! Multiplayer needs work though, very Q3 like.

enjoy all

07:38am 04/08/04 Permalink
dangles
Queensland
2880 posts
ati have released beta cats 4.9 to improve performance in d3
08:57am 04/08/04 Permalink
dangles
Queensland
2881 posts
maybe they keep the cost up to get some money back from the amount they loose from piracy.. ever thought of that?

09:19am 04/08/04 Permalink
F**nukle
Brisbane, Queensland
2446 posts
but seriously f*** ID software and all the developers out there for overcharging us
hey retard, its not the developers that set the prices. the distributers are.

eg. doom3 is 'activision'
so blame activision for the price.

also here in aus $99 bucks is such a nice price point for supliers.

you are totally right about the charge less you'll sell more = less piracy.
but it wont change that much.
09:37am 04/08/04 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
15068 posts
seriously f*** ID software and all the developers out there for overcharging us, champions to the companies that bring out decent priced games.

I say piracy, stick it to them until they make it affordable to the average gamer. !!!!!
First of all, id Software don't set the price. Actually, if you look, almost all new 'big' titles are $100 RRP on release.

Secondly, just because you can't afford something doesn't mean you should steal it. I can't afford a Ferrari, and I think they're massively overpriced, but I'm not about to go and steal one!

Thirdly, who would pay full price for software without doing some research?!@#!@! A few people have pointed out you can already get it (ON THE RELEASE DAY) for $89, and I've seen one person (not sure if it was in this thread) say they got it for $85. A few other people posted links to places you can order online for way less, but you'd have to wait longer.
09:38am 04/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
527 posts
you know who loves doom 3 more than anyone else?

ATI and Nvidia.

all the people who've waited this long finally got an excuse to buy a new card. personally i dont think it was worth it. the game runs decently across a whole range of tech, and other games could have benefitted from a better card long ago. i bought my 9800XT 8 months ago now when supposedly doom3 was just around the corner and i've been able to play every game since perfectly. like for instance farcry, ut2004, diablo 2 ... maybe not diablo 2.
10:15am 04/08/04 Permalink
sprayNwipe
Brisbane, Queensland
1336 posts

So the developers have no say at all in what its sold for, no say or influence at all, they just release the game and the distributors go, hmm think i will charge this price for it. Right. yer....

Yep, that's exactly right, except you're forgetting that the publisher sets the RRP, not the developer.

Also, I got an email from Burn yesterday saying that they were selling Doom 3 for $75 if you say you're a member.
10:34am 04/08/04 Permalink
scooby
Brisbane, Queensland
1981 posts
hehe, check out what doom3 was gunna be like: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/harry.d/doom3.html
10:39am 04/08/04 Permalink
AnaRoT
Queensland
7934 posts

How much do you think the graphic artists who work on films get paid? Now think about how much a game like D3 takes to make, and how much they have to charge for it to earn an equivalent amount of money, considering from that price, the developers who put in mega amounts of time and skill get only a fraction.

If you really think id are bad or at fault in any way you need a severe kick if the testicles.
11:01am 04/08/04 Permalink
Deadly-Fly
Brisbane, Queensland
2194 posts
Those 4.9 beta cats work great for me, although it turns out I was only running 4.3 before.

The game is awesome visually, I almost want to play the whole thing with only the torch just for the effect. The gameplay itself is far from revolutionary, standard iD fare with most badies defeated with 2 shotgun rounds or 1 real close up. Still, fun to be had.

Can't wait for some decent mods to come out.
11:03am 04/08/04 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
9181 posts

I'm not impressed by Doom 3 at all really. The graphics are great and the atmosphere is fantastic, but really the game brings nothing but eye candy to the genre. The engine is good too but Doom 3 itself is fairly lacking to me. I am finding it a bit boring from time to time. The only thing really waking me up is some zombie springing out and giving me a fright. Same s*** different name.
11:33am 04/08/04 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
6938 posts
Got mine for $82.
11:50am 04/08/04 Permalink
slap69
Brisbane, Queensland
55 posts
Doom 3 gets a big double thumbs up from me. 0 whines, 0 dissapointments (keeping in mind I avoided the propaganda). Was it ever not gonna rock, considering iD and Carmack were at the helm?
11:55am 04/08/04 Permalink
r_mazing
Brisbane, Queensland
267 posts
I cant believe it runs so damn well on my crappy pc!
12:01pm 04/08/04 Permalink
stick
Brisbane, Queensland
2807 posts
^^I can't believe you don't mind stealing the game. DIE!
12:11pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Superform
Cairns, Queensland
1925 posts
well i'll be playing it again tonight...

good find on the new cats..
12:50pm 04/08/04 Permalink
stick
Brisbane, Queensland
2808 posts
Well you've just linked a place that sells it for aroun $70, so now you have no excuse not to buy and own your own copy.
12:55pm 04/08/04 Permalink
AnaRoT
Queensland
7938 posts

I also milked the girl at the local EB

I have nipples Greg, can you milk me?
01:19pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Primal
Brisbane, Queensland
1810 posts
i like it, good game so far, i am only up to admin level, i have college on at night, etc.. etc..

even though my computer is a bit on the old/slow side, the gaming is running quite well..

i have a celeron 1.7, gf4ti4800, 512 ram..

but it is only on 640x480, i tried 800x600 but it was a bit too chuggy on large rooms with lots of movement..

but, thats o.k., i am still enjoying the game.. :)

the AI with the taken over marines could have been a bit better, you just backup around a corner and shottie them close, too easy, mybe i should turn it on to nightmare instead of marine in the options..

anyhow, when i get more into the game it may get harder..

i just picked up some grens, so maybe they will start throwing grens at me.. that would rock..

i want a better processor and vid card though.. :(

01:19pm 04/08/04 Permalink
F**nukle
Brisbane, Queensland
2449 posts
The graphics are great and the atmosphere is fantastic, but really the game brings nothing but eye candy to the genre. The engine is good too but Doom 3 itself is fairly lacking to me.
ID made an awesum engine, and chucked original doom on it to make it a game.

Doom3 is a showoff and realworld test of their engine.
ID are letting other companies make the games for their latest engine.
wait till Q4 and the other games and mods come out before you start moaning about gameplay.

last edited by F**nukle at 13:44:20 04/Aug/04
01:38pm 04/08/04 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
15070 posts
must..control....fist of ..death
01:57pm 04/08/04 Permalink
g0t bea[n]
Brisbane, Queensland
440 posts
02:03pm 04/08/04 Permalink
BoBa
Brisbane, Queensland
1535 posts
ID made an awesum engine, and chucked original doom on it to make it a game.

Doom3 is a showoff and realworld test of their engine.
ID are letting other companies make the games for their latest engine.
wait till Q4 and the other games and mods come out before you start moaning about gameplay.

Couldn't agree more.
02:30pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
925 posts
http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=5733&tid=1438663&p=7
Supposedly smooths out some parts of the game (like pauses on opening doors)
02:54pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
9183 posts

Let me get this straight, I bought Doom 3 as a teaser for Q4 and other games?
02:59pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
531 posts
nice call there twisted. shut up about the whole id is an engine maker thing and thats all doom3 is.

even if it were true thats just annoying to hear over and over and over. i couldnt give a s*** how good a f*****g engine is. if there are no good games it doesnt matter.
04:09pm 04/08/04 Permalink
stillSpirit
Brisbane, Queensland
2 posts

totally agree twizm

i like the fact they have stuck with the original 4 player multiplayer from 1 and 2... kinda retro :)

ps.. i'll say it again

ITS MEANT TO B DARK dudes, program one of you mouse buttons to toggle the maglite and USE it!
05:57pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
536 posts
if they dont like it they just dont ok. trying to force your opinion wont help them. they arent b****ing, they are expressing a negative opinion of something.

i myself like it, but still get irritated with it at times. the dam thing is useless as a weapon too which sucks. just run around in the dark with the chainsaw :)

last edited by Odie at 18:04:19 04/Aug/04
06:01pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Darius
Gold Coast, Queensland
2113 posts
anyone else think this is a boring game? i just hope some good mods come out so i can get my moneys worth

haha the mirror was cool

last edited by Darius at 18:36:16 04/Aug/04
06:22pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
926 posts
This is a doom 3 discussion thread, not a suck dooms c*** thread. All opinions both good and bad will be in it, if you are scared that some people might not like the game, then dont read this thread, and disconnect your network cable just to be safe.
06:42pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
540 posts
hehe. yeah

oh. might also like to never venture outside of your room until people forget the game exists. shouldnt be too hard for some people anyway. copy of doom, computer and a beer fridge. turn translucent after a while.
07:12pm 04/08/04 Permalink
AnaRoT
Queensland
7943 posts

HA HA HA HA!!! Thats so f*****g funny! Ragging gamers is so funny!!! OH WAIT WE'RE ON A GAMES FORUM......

OMFG I'm so sick of you newbie f*****s sitting at your computers and having a go at people for sitting at their computers... FOR F**** SAKE!!!
07:34pm 04/08/04 Permalink
cobz
Sydney, New South Wales
1190 posts
Just played it online, it feels like a mix between quakes 2 and 3 (very fast). I think it has great rocket arena and fortress mod potential. Single player is awesome, its actually a fun game (i hated far cry).
07:35pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Tim Tibbetts
Brisbane, Queensland
1233 posts
If people actual made valid points against Doom3 other than "it's eye-candy" then it would be fine.

last edited by Tim Tibbetts at 19:38:21 04/Aug/04
07:37pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
543 posts
what the hell are you saying twizm? re-read Bah's post ... people can think what they like about doom3, and they can post it here. yes they dont HAVE to play it but they can have an opinion AND voice it.

also anarot, i wasnt ragging on anyone. i've actually been quite cooped up myself :P
07:59pm 04/08/04 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
1070 posts
Look! I think if the only bad thing about this game is the whole "too dark, torch is f***** annoying" thing. Then what are you fanboi's worried about it?
If you like the game ... enjoi it and dont give a f** about what anyone else thinks.

Personally I do think that Id are their own worst enemies about the torch thing. I dont think they realized how annoying it would be to the average gamer. Or how ridiculous it actually is, that a futuristic soldier cant have a better vision system than soldiers today.
I mean honestly a drunken cave dwelling militaman with an AK47 and candle strapped to his head would be better equipped than this poor c*** in Doom.
It's just a bit hard to swallow even for a game. Especially when other games made a few yrs ago have a more practical solution. I refer to the AvP games that had torchs/flares... it was still just as scarey!

To end this rant. I dont think that this will deter anyone or bring the game down .. its just an unfortunate oversight and a small stone in the shoe of Id and gamers.

last edited by sLaps_Forehead at 20:04:29 04/Aug/04
08:01pm 04/08/04 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
6939 posts
This argument that it's in the future and he should have the bomb s*** doesn't play, the point is it's survival horror and you're making use of what you have.
I honestly haven't had to use the torch all that much anyway.
08:20pm 04/08/04 Permalink
thrax
Brisbane, Queensland
2744 posts
* N U K E D *

By trog
08:58pm 04/08/04 Permalink
German
Brisbane, Queensland
1858 posts
F*** THAT LOOKS PURDY!!
09:01pm 04/08/04 Permalink
thrax
Brisbane, Queensland
2745 posts
it would be even better if I didn't have to save it gif files :( but I love the easter eggs thoughtout the whole game.

last edited by thrax at 21:04:14 04/Aug/04
09:03pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Tim Tibbetts
Brisbane, Queensland
1234 posts
I don't think that the way you use a torch was an oversight..it was a design and gameplay decision, and personally I think id made the right choice.

Weapon, or light...take your pick. If you could have both out at the same time it wouldn't be anywhere near as scary. The fact that you can just press the 'f' key to switch between the flashlight and your last used weapon makes life so much easier.

When the game is about, fear, and the lighting plays such an integral part of that fear, then having any kind of "advanced vision" would detract from the gameplay. Also if you're concerned about realism then perhaps Doom isn't the best game of choice.....

last edited by Tim Tibbetts at 21:11:21 04/Aug/04
09:09pm 04/08/04 Permalink
sikgem
Brisbane, Queensland
485 posts
Is there a demo? No demo, no play.
09:16pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
927 posts
John carmack - Whats that? I cant hear you, the truck delivering all my money is making too much noise.

And it saves as tga for me? screenshot and snapshot take it in different formats. (at least i think those are the two commands)

last edited by Bah at 21:23:40 04/Aug/04
09:22pm 04/08/04 Permalink
thrax
Brisbane, Queensland
2746 posts
yeah it saves them as TGA, but I only have fireworks installed on my pc atm and it will either do PNG or gif. unless you want a 3meg png file :p
09:30pm 04/08/04 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
6940 posts
Massive spoiler there, you might want to link them before the post gets nuked by trog :)
09:37pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Taz
Brisbane, Queensland
40 posts
Well that just ruined the end 4 me! thx! F*CK!!!!
09:52pm 04/08/04 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
6941 posts
The CD key is on the back of the manual.
10:01pm 04/08/04 Permalink
LightAssassin
Brisbane, Queensland
286 posts
RTFM wins!

It is on the back cover.... ohh dais just said that ohh well, look at the back cover.

(= I was waiting for somebody to say that uno...
10:03pm 04/08/04 Permalink
closethedoor
Brisbane, Queensland
2913 posts
Well Ive had doom3 sitting here since the other day, got my new logitech surround 5.1 set up and have gotten as far as setting the controls up.
Gawd I wish i had more free time, perfect timing! After uni and work tomorrow ill have a good stint at it because im too tired at the moment.
10:11pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Raider
Brisbane, Queensland
1655 posts
meanwhile anyone know how to get past the mono-rail section??

i have gone through everything and can't find either the actualy realy service elevator or whatever gets the broken 1 working :/

help :D
10:36pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
548 posts
i'll be finished by tonight. i cant game like i used to, otherwise i woulda been finished yesterday. bit dissapointed at the length. i kept hearing 20 hours ... pfft. asif.

sometimes i love not having a job.
10:40pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Boxhead
Brisbane, Queensland
9706 posts
I like how it penalises you for staying around somewhere too long... or going and picking up that ammo clip... or opening a door...
11:07pm 04/08/04 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
15072 posts
I like how it penalises you for staying around somewhere too long... or going and picking up that ammo clip... or opening a door...
haha, yeh. I see s*** lying on the ground and I'm a lot more careful about picking it up.

One thing that kept happening to me was I'd see a dude limping along slowly at me down a long corridor. I'd take my time, lining up a shot on his head and just watching him, and some other a****** would sneak up behind me while I'm totally concentrating on this other dude and whale on me. DIRTY!
11:18pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Brisbane, Queensland
8869 posts
meanwhile anyone know how to get past the mono-rail section??

After you get into the control room that's half on fire you have to turn something on which I can't remember. Those two dudes you are following were just in there and he blew up the computers or something. Anyway, after doing something there keep moving forward and you'll come to a lift. Choose "Maintanance" for the elevator level and it'll go down. Follow that along and it will bring you back to the first lift you went up. It'll take you back to the part where the monorail door was shut, now it will be open and you get to walk around outside again.

Hope this helps but I really can't remember specifics seeing as I played thru this part this morning.

8-)
11:18pm 04/08/04 Permalink
closethedoor
Brisbane, Queensland
2915 posts
I just had a stint then and woah, I am impressed, hella scary :) Its just not the same without the enemies doing a 2d moonwalk though :P
11:29pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Crunch
Perth, Western Australia
720 posts
Shat. My. Pants.

That is all.
11:32pm 04/08/04 Permalink
Hashy
New South Wales
1124 posts
I'm yet to be 'scared' as such. AVP was far more disturbing at times.

Still - I f*****g LOVE IT.
12:18am 05/08/04 Permalink
SushiGalsdotcom
Brisbane, Queensland
90 posts
will this run on a 2.4ghz/768mb/gf2ultra64mb at 800x600 ?
12:21am 05/08/04 Permalink
trixter
934 posts
five words...

Super Turbo Turkey Puncher 3

http://wonderlan.sagamers.com/images/superturboturkeypuncher.jpg

yeeehaw
12:23am 05/08/04 Permalink
closethedoor
Brisbane, Queensland
2916 posts
will this run on a 2.4ghz/768mb/gf2ultra64mb at 800x600 ?

Probably, but ud find it more fun with a nice radeon x800 :)
12:25am 05/08/04 Permalink
Psycho!
Brisbane, Queensland
4272 posts
Playing just before, drakend room, surround sound headphones on, really in a spooky place and the wife walks up behind me and taps me on the shoulder to say 'nite'...I nearly popped a f***en gasket...leaped about 3 feet off the chair...yelled out some blasphemy and she says,' scary game huh?'

Yep its getting me like AVP2 did, especially when it get quiet...too quiet..I know some s**** about to happen.

12:29am 05/08/04 Permalink
cobz
Sydney, New South Wales
1191 posts
This game keeps getting better and better, i was walking through a hall when i heard someone breathing behind me then i saw bloodly footprints circle around me then away from me down the hall, while a kids voice was whispering "follow me", i got to the end of the hall and everything turned blood red and the voice said "they took my baby" followed by baby screams then everything went back to normal....kinda freaked me out, i like this sort of "detail" in a game.

Does anyone else actualy like the torch? It gives me the urge to stop after a battle and slowly explore around me, thus thrusting me further into the atmosphere...dont listen to the jaded bastards giving this game a bad wrap, its f*****g fantastic.
12:56am 05/08/04 Permalink
[Q]
Brisbane, Queensland
7488 posts
Kickarse game. It gets better and better as you go through. It has gotten a little tedious for me now, getting towards the end of the game and im wanting to reach that point more and more. Still, has been great fun. I think they found an excellent balance between scaryness and fun.

The torch wasnt that annoying and while it is kind of stupid that they didnt put something like night vision in somewhere along the way (doom or doom3 had it) its easy to see why it can make the game more suspensful and really isnt that big a thing.

WAY better than I thought it would be, definatly not a technology test to showoff the engine. Heaps of effort was put into level design and it shows.

Some screen caps here for the interested, BIG warning, spoilers to be found, some shots of hell... http://q.ausanime.com/doom
01:04am 05/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
551 posts
wait till you get to certain areas which use level deisgn like the original. textures and traps and evertyhing.

people who have passed through the CPU area will know what i mean. that area in particular brings back memories.
01:05am 05/08/04 Permalink
[Q]
Brisbane, Queensland
7490 posts
Yeah. Some of the cpu area definatly reminded me of the orig games. That god damn area with all the fruity gabs in the wall, really maze like, reminded me alot of some areas, just needed to be totally black :P
01:41am 05/08/04 Permalink
Loki
Brisbane, Queensland
4676 posts
Onto Delta4 sector now.

lol Twizm, you're retarded, nobody is really saying it's s***, just that the darkness is a little -too- dark at times, as in, yes, the flashlight is cool but switching to gun then leaves you firing blindly... literally.
You could crank the gamma but then it kinda defeats the point.
Think you need to calm down a little.

Besides, the later levels aren't nearly as bad/anything to whinge about like the first few, seems they realised how cheesy the lights blowing out just as you entered a room was getting =)

And I'll agree with cobz, that voice-over comes back much later on again too ;) both times has to have been the creepiest thing so far that's made me actually let go of the sprint key and come to a dead stop =P - that's the sorta thing that makes a scary atmosphere, not a black screen =P

last edited by Loki at 02:14:54 05/Aug/04
02:10am 05/08/04 Permalink
Booyah
Brisbane, Queensland
1106 posts
With everyone talking about this game i felt like i needed to give my unbiased opinion of the game:

Not having to play the earlier doom titles and not having read too many reviews I wasn't sure what to expect from Doom 3 gameplay wise. I predicted there'd be alot of looking around corners as well as running backwards shooting monsters and demons and what not, with the usual fps weaponry with all the spooky jazz. Well I had a bit of a go at Irhabi's last night and from the half an hour i played it seemed like it was just that.. (or not too far from it). I was playing that monorail level I think it was called.

One thing I was sure of however was the high level of detail the game was going to entail since it is going be the new engine of many next generation of upcomming games. Irhabi was running it on the higher settings with 1024 x 768 resolution. Dont know what his specs are excactly but it looked stunning. Very crisp very lush and there's no two ways about it. Although the frame rate obviously dropped abit when alot of demons were running and pouncing around. I reckon adjusting it to meduim settings would've made it substantially smoother but Irhabi was gawking his eyes out (understandbly) at the design of the levels and their fine detail on the shadows, lighting, crusty looking demons and not to mention the top nothch sound effects of the game. Especially love the sound of that all quick fire rate plasma gun. It feels, looks and sounds brilliant.

Didnt really get to witness the earlier levels so I can't really comment much on this tourch/pistol issue too much. Although i can say that I found myself not using the tourch at that monorail level at all as the demons that spwan up as well as your gun fire creates lots of light for you to see. I dont really mind all the darkness in the game, after all, the word "doom" is literally associated with darkness and so it wasn't as a big kick in the teeth for me compared to others.

When it came to the s*** in your pants factor... never really jumped outta my seat at all. Maybe it's cause i didnt really play the game long enough but I also I think im a bit of a tough cookie. Had the lights all out and pumped up the sub and the sound and checked my pants but there was still no boris there. Nothing to take away from the atmosphere of the game though...got my eyes glued to the screen wanting to anticipate every move the enemy demons.

For some reason I wasn't realy hyped up about this game too much. Maybe it's cause i realised I had a crappy system that wont probably run it any time soon. I've gotta say though it's visually stunning, fun, extremely moody/atmospheric, and generally is eery/spooky. On the other hand it looked a bit reptitive, gameplay seemed a lil generic and i heard the entire game is a lil too short for $100. I've only played this game for half an hour and just look at how much i rambled on about (mostly good things). Im sure once i play it more it will grow on me and I will soon appreciate the game for what it is.. but i think one day when i do own it and once i finish it i wont be comming back to it for a pwetty long time... unless the multiplayer can really deliver which i dont know didly squat about... but that's a different story.

That's my 200 grand. Night :/

last edited by Booyah at 03:17:09 05/Aug/04
02:55am 05/08/04 Permalink
Tim Tibbetts
Brisbane, Queensland
1235 posts
How long are people finding the game? I'm taking it slowly, being cautious and checking out everything, but typically I have no idea of how long a game is unless there's a game time counter.
06:53am 05/08/04 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
15074 posts
Tim: I'm also taking it really slowly (I'm sure a lot of other people are racing through it being quicksave/quickload whores along the way and ruining it for themselves). I think I've been playing for about 4-5 hours and I don't feel like I'm anywhere near the end. I'm just up to the bit where there's the monorail (someone mentioned it above) but not sure where that is in the whole game.
09:30am 05/08/04 Permalink
German
Brisbane, Queensland
1859 posts
Is anyone selling it for less thatn $99.95?
10:08am 05/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
552 posts
so far i've played for maybe (very rough guess here) 10-12 hours and i'm very close to the end. i havent used quicksave very much more relying on autosave and i dont actually use the sprint key very much. i explore things at my own pace and backtrack sometimes for ammo and health. this is all on the medium difficulty.

unfortunetely its like most games these days, over way too quickly. i feel farcry was a fair bit longer.
10:20am 05/08/04 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
15077 posts
10-12 hours these days is MASSIVE for an FPS! Most of them are usually 5-6 hours.
10:23am 05/08/04 Permalink
Irhabi
Brisbane, Queensland
1231 posts
o far i've played for maybe (very rough guess here) 10-12 hours and i'm very close to the end. i havent used quicksave very much more relying on autosave and i dont actually use the sprint key very much. i explore things at my own pace and backtrack sometimes for ammo and health. this is all on the medium difficulty.

yeah i played it for about 12 hours straight and now im up to the point, that i have sent the message and gone through the monrail and am back at delta....gess it wont be long now now :(

oh well gess ill have to play it on higher difficalty. now im playing on medium.
10:27am 05/08/04 Permalink
Darius
Gold Coast, Queensland
2114 posts
Is anyone selling it for less thatn $99.95?
HAHHA i will be soon :/
10:34am 05/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
553 posts
nar ihrabi you are bloody ages away.

like i said, it was a rough guess. its very hard to judge game hours while playing.

for instance i've played heaps of warcraft 3, yet it says i've only played a total of 16 hours (from the last patch where the ladder was reset)
11:12am 05/08/04 Permalink
Loki
Brisbane, Queensland
4677 posts
(I'm sure a lot of other people are racing through it being quicksave/quickload whores along the way and ruining it for themselves).
You'd be a fool not to use quicksave often on the hardest difficulty.
At times when there are 3-4 imps on you or 3 Pinky's (as I have come across once) you can get torn to shreds in about half a second, repeatedly, and the levels between autosaves are huuuuuuuge.

I dunno what sorta damage pinky's do on the earlier levels, but for me with 125AR they do about 45 damage per hit and if you get thrown into a corner, you're screwed since they can hit you about 3 times in one second =)

Awesome game, if you have troubles with boney's, props to Rubba_Chikin - Plasma Rifle owns them, the bolts destroy their rockets in their face as soon as they launch and they can't do anything to ya.
11:27am 05/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
556 posts
i've found the only time i really die is when i accidentally back into a corner. usually i die to those annoying little cherub f*****s or those spiders. i hate little jumping monsters. every game has them but they just annoy me.

actually, there arent enough demons (pinky) in the game. there are far too many imps.
11:35am 05/08/04 Permalink
Loki
Brisbane, Queensland
4678 posts
Is that what those baby's with wings things are (cherubs)? They gave me the s**** in the section with the fatty's, hard to hit the little things in the open.

But yer, I got a habit of calling all the enemies by the names that the Doom and Doom2 books used =)
Both were a cool read.
Particularly when Fly first uses the 'BigFreakinGun', kekeke comedy ++;
11:41am 05/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
558 posts
oh i wasnt sure on what they are officially called. i just called them that cause thats what they look like. and those spider things i call them .. well things because they look like they came right from that movie.
11:56am 05/08/04 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
1071 posts
I wonder if John Carpenter will try and sue iD for ripping off the spider heads from the "The Thing" movie?
12:01pm 05/08/04 Permalink
Booyah
Brisbane, Queensland
1108 posts
10-12 hours these days is MASSIVE for an FPS! Most of them are usually 5-6 hours.
wtf are you serious ? could you name a few i might as well go out and rent 10 of em and finish em all in 3 days total.

I finished metriod prime on the cube and that took me 26 hours to complete and it's only 75% finished...Fair bit of secrets to be found still. I also finished XIII few days ago and I atleast got 10 hours from that.
12:46pm 05/08/04 Permalink
dangles
Queensland
2882 posts
ermm prime only took me about 12 hrs to complete with about 91% done.
12:54pm 05/08/04 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
9187 posts

This will be my final say on this before I cower away in fear from the fanboys.

In my opinion (and this is just mine and does not represent your opinion or anyone elses) the seasoned gamer will really find this a shallow title. I would be disappointed to find an older gamer who can really appreciate this title as apart from all of its very impressive graphics and other aspects the game is very lacking in anything but shock factor to keep you going. I am about 2 hours into the game and tired of running around corridors endlessly finding some s*** button somewhere in ever increasingly unimaginative situations. I really think that with Doom 3 we have seen the death of inovation in the FPS genre. I don't believe HL2 will be any better bringing something new to the genre and like Doom 3 it will probably go down the path of adding nothing to the genre that has not been done.

Doom 3 now gets 6.5/10 from me. Great graphics, great engine and an awesome atmosphere. The story line is puss and really gets boring very quickly. Been there and done that, I'm sorry. I think Alien Vs. Predator has beaten Doom 3 to the punch and produced a superior game with inferior graphics which to me just goes to show that just because it looks good or comes from iD doesn't mean it is good.

To those who like Doom 3, I'm happy for you. Frag on and enjoy it. Myself I don't like it and I'm going to leave it at that and everyone in peace now that I've had my say :]
01:02pm 05/08/04 Permalink
Booyah
Brisbane, Queensland
1111 posts
Sold to me .. for $10 :P

dangles, i did take my time with prime just in the same way with trog taking his time with doom 3. I think it was due to all the backtracking as well as getting sidetracked that contributed alot of hours to the game.

last edited by Booyah at 13:18:00 05/Aug/04
01:13pm 05/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
561 posts
took me about 10 hours with 100%

thats second time through thoug. 1st time it took about 20 hours. i couldnt stop jumping around in the water and watching the water run off.

now thats pretty GFX
01:40pm 05/08/04 Permalink
German
Brisbane, Queensland
1861 posts
Just bought the b****, time to slay.
02:06pm 05/08/04 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
15078 posts
In my opinion (and this is just mine and does not represent your opinion or anyone elses) the seasoned gamer will really find this a shallow title
IMO, any truly seasoned game finds multiplayer games the only ones worth playing :)
02:40pm 05/08/04 Permalink
Loki
Brisbane, Queensland
4679 posts
I am about 2 hours into the game and tired of running around corridors endlessly finding some s*** button somewhere in ever increasingly unimaginative situations
*Some possible spoilers in here somewhere, errr kinda but not really*

It gets a bit better after you get out of the alpha labs - they all seemed the same boring crap, Communications and further on was a bit more interesting, choosing to send the transmission or not was cool too - I chose not to [Personally I just wanted to be a badass and watch the whole station go to hell/hoped it changed the path of the game] and I got praised by those two guys and was supposed to meet up with them - unfortunately it doesn't effect s*** and the paths are still the same [lame ++;], except the commander marine guy chucked a nancy and never spoke to me again and the guy with the weird eyes who speaks to you over the comms later on mentions that he sends it himself cause you didnt and he wants the fleet to come so the demons can use the ships to get to earth.

Although the coolest and only thing even remotely creepy/scary in the game [thus far] is the one that cobz mentioned, and that does happen in the alpha labs =)
02:54pm 05/08/04 Permalink
closethedoor
Brisbane, Queensland
2918 posts
What level of difficulty does everyone have on? Im playing it on hard and I am getting raped, is it my s*** skills or is this "hard" truly a hard mode?
Im used to games where hard mode doesnt really mean its hard.
03:08pm 05/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
563 posts
i played and finished it on medium and only died a few times. not really because it was hard but because i got trapped or fell off a ledge.

now playing it on veteran and its no harder. you take more dmg when hit but you can easily avoid every attack.
03:21pm 05/08/04 Permalink
Twisted
Brisbane, Queensland
9188 posts

IMO, any truly seasoned game finds multiplayer games the only ones worth playing :)
No, that has just become the norm these days. Games are so shallow in their content that they need MP to keep them alive. Unfortunately long gone are the days of innovative games being able to hold you glued in SP without the need for MP action. That said, MP is great too in all games because it keeps them alive longer. Ninja Gaiden kept me playing for hours and hours. Probably the best game I've played in the past 2 or 3 years. Fantastic single player game.
03:22pm 05/08/04 Permalink
URFubar`D
Brisbane, Queensland
192 posts
Could the cynics please explain what they expected from the game? It is everything I expected it to be. It is just like the original doom in style of game play. Big crazy gun fights with demons in the dark. Monster traps after u pick up a key or flip a switch. Just plenty of ggz insane firefight spam its great. Oh yeah I guess its a nice looking game too :)
And please the people who say it copys half-life...what engine was HL made from?

And a theory on the flashlight, no point putting the effort to code it to work with the pistol (being the only single handed weap). because the pistol is comparable to a potato gun when facing hell knights.

P.S. Mods, and uh Mods and uh MODS, and oh yeh how cool is the per poly hit detection. missing a zombie because he sways so much ;)
03:25pm 05/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
564 posts
yeah i'm going to agree with twisted here. i'm just so bored with multiplayer. i really enjoy a well told story through a game and i miss that.
03:26pm 05/08/04 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
929 posts
nd please the people who say it copys half-life...what engine was HL made from?
The "barbie horse adventure" engine?
04:03pm 05/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
568 posts
i dont really care about the HL copying thing (after all, the storyline for HL is actually the same as doom in essence). but copying the PDA thing from system shock? at least they could have made it better. system shock's system was far better. now that was a scary game.
04:52pm 05/08/04 Permalink
g0t bea[n]
Brisbane, Queensland
445 posts
05:00pm 05/08/04 Permalink
r_mazing
Brisbane, Queensland
268 posts
* N U K E D *

By trog
05:03pm 05/08/04 Permalink
stick
Brisbane, Queensland
2810 posts
seems like a few people are playing this just to bag it out and look for flaws. Don't buy the game if you are just gonna bag it out (so many ppl obviously had their minds made up before hand), and if you hax it for free you are even more lame to bag it out.
05:56pm 05/08/04 Permalink
Darius
Gold Coast, Queensland
2119 posts
does anyone think its worth keeping a copy of doom 3 if i dont really like it? i mean the engine is very nice so some nice mods might come around

edit : god damn i cant type properly

last edited by Darius at 01:57:18 06/Aug/04
06:23pm 05/08/04 Permalink
Superform
Cairns, Queensland
1930 posts
mods for doom 3 are going to be rockin...
06:41pm 05/08/04 Permalink
German
Brisbane, Queensland
1864 posts
music??

Is there any actual music for this game??
06:55pm 05/08/04 Permalink
Loki
Brisbane, Queensland
4680 posts
music??

Is there any actual music for this game??
Err yes, NIN isn't it?
I smell juarez on some Germans
09:28pm 05/08/04 Permalink
dangles
Queensland
2883 posts
Game runs nice and fine on my system
800*600
high detail
33fps

XP2600
9600xt 256meg, i new buying the 256meg card would pay off.
09:28pm 05/08/04 Permalink
Protius-X
Brisbane, Queensland
1892 posts
When's DNF coming out?
09:42pm 05/08/04 Permalink
Primal
Brisbane, Queensland
1811 posts
privateer2 had the whole PDA thing, it even had the hand bringing it up and back down as well..

system shock2 had more e-mails though, i would like to see a system shock3 on the doom3 graphics, now that would rock, but will never happen.. :(

doom3 is creapy though and i for one really like the torch in hand effect, its just a bit different which is good..

i am enjoying the game, just like i enjoy playing many games..
09:59pm 05/08/04 Permalink
nF
Other International
7134 posts
I think SS2 had creepier monsters (though they were so badly modelled its difficult to know if that was intended or not), not to mention the ghosts.

Doom3 rocks though.
10:05pm 05/08/04 Permalink
German
Brisbane, Queensland
1865 posts
I agree with Primal about the torch. The whole atmosphere of the game is awesome. I've been on edge of my seat waiting for things to pop out of the dark.
10:13pm 05/08/04 Permalink
koopz
Queensland
5075 posts
The Linux ver of Doom 3 is now available over at Everything Linux dot com dot Au.

Let's face it folks, not many of us will bother looking for it - hurry up if your keen.

Numbers are pretty much limited, so jump in if you want :D
10:21pm 05/08/04 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
1073 posts
11:13pm 05/08/04 Permalink
riot'us
Brisbane, Queensland
2358 posts
Koopz, if thats the linux version why does it say it requires windows?
11:35pm 05/08/04 Permalink
koopz
Queensland
5076 posts
true - and the dirty buggers spammed me saying the *nix ver was now available :(
11:44pm 05/08/04 Permalink
rubba-chikin
Brisbane, Queensland
4086 posts
Im having a convo now about an enemy my mate says he has never seen...

There are imps, which AFAIK are only brownish and stand up and shoot fireballs, they can also crouch and leap at you.

I swear I have seen other ones, blue skin and like 4 glowing yellow eyes, to me looked like they had 2 heads and were a mutant or something. They kinda crawl around hunched over and leap at you, and never really stand up straight and don't shoot fireballs at you...

Anyone know what I'm talking about? If so they have an offical monster name? :)
12:53am 06/08/04 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
6945 posts
12:59am 06/08/04 Permalink
thrax
Brisbane, Queensland
2754 posts
02:01am 06/08/04 Permalink
F**nukle
Brisbane, Queensland
2455 posts
hahahah Thrax :)

omg! i just bought it today from work with my new doom3 baron of hell pewter figurine :)

im scared, got work tomoro.. should be in bed... too scared.. must play
BYE
02:11am 06/08/04 Permalink
nF
Other International
7136 posts
I took a day off work to play doom3 :P
05:52am 06/08/04 Permalink
Kaygen
Brisbane, Queensland
4452 posts
ok, no need to comment on Doom3 its all been said.

Just having a look over at planetdoom3.com (i know its file planet i apologise)

BUT they have a MOD which lets you have the flashlight working WHILE you have your gun out.

Clicky

Ive installed it and it works a treat. And you still get the scare factor!

edit: its 4.7kb in size don't have time to host it before i go to work, someone here will though im sure (for all anti- fileplanet ppl)

last edited by Kaygen at 07:42:21 06/Aug/04
07:40am 06/08/04 Permalink
Reverend Evil
Brisbane, Queensland
8872 posts
Does it only add a flashlight to the pistol??? If so that's a bit sucky, need it to be added to all weapons.
08:54am 06/08/04 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
15079 posts
Also the player shadow. Thats an integral part of the game!
Can you turn it on? I noticed its on in multiplayer, but not in single playeR?
09:36am 06/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
572 posts
seta g_showPlayerShadow "0"

obviously change that to 1.
10:33am 06/08/04 Permalink
Lusty
Gold Coast, Queensland
603 posts
someone please host that file that kaygen is talking about.

thanks
11:30am 06/08/04 Permalink
Hashy
New South Wales
1125 posts
seta g_muzzleFlash "1"

Its default is 0. Hence no muzzle flash.

Mine was 1, running at high detail.
11:53am 06/08/04 Permalink
Huntz
Sydney, New South Wales
24 posts
Anyone read what the guy at the start is typing on his screen. The one who tells you to go and see the commander in the first cut scene.

Checkout the supplemental part. :p

You can zoom in on the monitor using the enter key unless you mapped it to something else.

12:35pm 06/08/04 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
1076 posts
12:35pm 06/08/04 Permalink
Chooka
173 posts
GamingSA have Doom 3 serves up.

Check them out at

http://www.gamingsa.com/
03:52pm 06/08/04 Permalink
F**nukle
Brisbane, Queensland
2457 posts
im playing it slowly, was up till 2:30am last nite(3 hours total) and i only just got back to administration from looking for that guy.

awesum, gonna try a few tweaks now to see how good i can get it running for the rest of the SP. :)
06:58pm 06/08/04 Permalink
cobz
Sydney, New South Wales
1193 posts
also; MODS...

http://www.planetdoom.com/d3f/

Doom 3 Fortress is on its way, they have the original TF coder on their team, thank christ some decent people are going to make this mod, its perfect for the doom 3 engine, q3f was alot of fun.
07:12pm 06/08/04 Permalink
Psycho!
Brisbane, Queensland
4292 posts
An interesting Doom3 Performance review over at the Firingsquad

Whats interesting is that if you run the game using the High quality modes it automatically applies 8xAF by default.

And what really surprised me is this:-

NVIDIAs GeForce 6800 cards dominate ATI X800 PRO and X800 XT Platinum Edition in DOOM 3 performance, with NVIDIAs GeForce 6800 GT outperforming the X800 XT Platinum in a lot of cases. The most startling part about it is that NVIDIAs ace in the hole, UltraShadow, isnt even enabled currently in DOOM 3. With the extensive use of stencil shadows throughout DOOM 3s dark levels, UltraShadow could play a huge role in improving NVIDIAs current performance even more. Could you imagine if NVIDIAs $300 GeForce 6800 one day outperforms ATIs $500 RADEON X800 XT Platinum Edition in a benchmark as important as DOOM 3? This engine will be the basis of many titles for the next few years, just as Quake 3 was in the past for id and their Q3 licensees, Call of Duty being the most recent example.

I thought the Nvidia cards were fast in the game BECAUSE of the ultrashadow technology and the bloody thing isn't even turned on yet...s*** how much faster will games like this run on these cards with it on!?
08:19pm 06/08/04 Permalink
[Q]
Brisbane, Queensland
7497 posts
o snap. God I hope ati do some tricky s*** with their driver releases :(
08:41pm 06/08/04 Permalink
God's Hitman
Melbourne, Victoria
1340 posts
the new catalyst driver 4.8 will optimise ATI cards for Doom 3. once again, like i said in another thread, i will only believe that nVidia is better this generation if nVidia edges ahead of ATI in HL2 since both companies have signed contracts with both games.

as for Doom 3, i just finished it on the Veteran difficulty setting. im not gonna talk about the game too much, but i just recommend for anyone who is interested in the game to read David Wildgoose's review in PCPP. reviews like PCPP's give a realistic point of view on Doom 3. it doesn't expect unfair things from the game. reviews like GameSpot's looks at the game in a cynical and stereotypical fashion. they criticise it on things like the linearity of the levels and the unadvanced level of the enemy AI but hang on, since when did zombies and the hordes of hell start to think like intelligent life-forms? it would be completely missing the point if id decides to make the game full of rationally thinking undeads who dodge gunfire and hunt down the player like a trained specialist. and also, Doom 3 was never about non-linearity. sure, it is linear, but it was always supposed to be, this is the type of game it is. ppl may argue with me that i can probably say this for every piece of linear crap then, but the thing is, id pulled it off, others haven't (with a few exceptions of course. every statement has exceptions). ppl these days are so wrapped up in the freedom thing, they forget that there are other styles of gaming which could also work, which could also provide a very solid gaming experience. instead of non-linear levels, Doom 3 was about the thrill and exhiliration of a first person survival horror shooter. sure it may be predictable, but that's only b/c we're predicting it to be a very good game, and indeed, id has delivered in that area.

last edited by God's Hitman at 10:00:24 07/Aug/04
10:16pm 06/08/04 Permalink
F**nukle
Brisbane, Queensland
2459 posts
i agree with ya on this one G.H.
thats pretty much what i was trying to say earlier.
10:22pm 06/08/04 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
936 posts
but hang on, since when did zombies and the hordes of hell start to think like intelligent life-forms?
The guy orchestrating everything was touched by hell, he seemed pretty smart. In one of the cutscenes he had a chain gun dude behind him working at a computer.
They know to hide in dark spots, and wait behind walls, they know to spawn behind you and infront of you, so they are smart when the game wants them to be.

But honestly they are just dumb, there is no rationale to it, so don't try to rationalise it in the context of the game.
11:30pm 06/08/04 Permalink
God's Hitman
Melbourne, Victoria
1341 posts
exactly like i said, the game is meant to be a survival horror game so let your imagination run wild mate. why do u think the guy orchestrating the whole thing (and please dont spoil it for others out there) has his job? why doesn't any of the other normal dead guys do it? obviously he recieved the special treatment and wasn't turned into a normal grunt zombie. it's a fiction for chrissakes, if id wanted to make a tactical shooter that had realistic AI, im sure they'd do it successfully, but this was meant to be a survival horror. dead guys aren't supposed to think rationally you know? name a horror movie or another survival horror game that showed monsters and dead guys dodging bullets and running for cover. and if you do manage to find one, you tell me if it has the same "scare" factor like it should be? once again, the game would be diluted and completely missing the point if they added smart AI. they hide in shadows b/c that way the game would be frightening, not b/c the zombies are trying to avoid gunfire. for example, it's like if someone tries to criticise Halo b/c the flood levels had bad AI...you'd be completely missing the point. and those guys didn' hide in shadows either...boo hoo

if you like smart AI then get another game. it's like if u dont like pure RTS games, then dont get them, but dont criticise them b/c they dont have enough "RPG" elements the way you want them to b/c they were never meant to be. in this case it's not a flaw, it's simply not necessary.
10:15am 07/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
575 posts
i'm sorry gods hitman, i can see your point but i just cant agree.

yes it was a fun game. yes its got its good points. but a review that doesnt point out the BAD points is a s*** review. PCPP gave it a 96 i think, and probably didnt say a bad thing about it the whole review (i dont know i didnt read it). thats a bad review, because doom 3 has its faults. the reviewer was probably wrapped up in the moment, and couldnt give a proper objective opinion on the game. later on when the hype has died down he will change his mind, and so will other people. PCPP have known to get it wrong you know. a lot actually.

bah is right again. just because its survival horror and zombies are braindead doesnt mean other creatures cant be smart. a smart enemy is a scary enemy. an imp thet just walks forwards while copping shotgun is just cannon fodder. they can crawl on walls and hide in alcoves, yet never do, unless scripted ... and thats a rarity. scripted sequences arent scary the second time around, because they are the same. and cannon fodder monsters (i'm talking mainly imps here, and unfortunetely thats mostly what this game contains) arent scary because there is no risk of a quick death.

look, just because ID designed the game (and designed it a certain way and did a fairly good job), doesnt mean there arent faults with that design.
10:32am 07/08/04 Permalink
Darius
Gold Coast, Queensland
2125 posts
well if oyu want survival horror GH then play painkiller, those guys did a much better job
10:41am 07/08/04 Permalink
God's Hitman
Melbourne, Victoria
1342 posts
"yes it was a fun game. yes its got its good points. but a review that doesnt point out the BAD points is a s*** review. PCPP gave it a 96 i think, and probably didnt say a bad thing about it the whole review (i dont know i didnt read it). thats a bad review, because doom 3 has its faults. the reviewer was probably wrapped up in the moment, and couldnt give a proper objective opinion on the game. later on when the hype has died down he will change his mind, and so will other people. PCPP have known to get it wrong you know. a lot actually."

i agree with you there, that is quite correct. PCPP's review itself didnt say anything bad about the game, they did say what OTHER ppl may criticise the game on, but then said that the game can't be judged in those ways. mostly, i agree with them, so i guess you and i just have different views on the matter (i still find imps scary :P), but PCPP's review did seem very "school girl like" as in they seemed too wrapped up in the moment of it all and forgot to judge it rationally. but apart from that, i agree with them in the fact that you can't judge Doom 3 based on the normal principles of AI, multiplayer support, and linear levels. whilst you believe that a smart enemy is a scary enemy, i find enemies that dont think rationally more scary, and that's where we have our differences, which is fine by me. but i agree with you in that even though the imps can crawl on walls etc, they only do it when scripted, and that is a shame.

Painkiller was quality B-Grade gaming, but no matter what u say, it cannot compare to the likes of Doom 3, and it was not scary at all, for me at least. to me, it was just quality Serious Sam style all out action, which is another genre in its own and deserves judgement with a different set of criterias, but it was b-grade nontheless

last edited by God's Hitman at 10:45:34 07/Aug/04
10:42am 07/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
578 posts
well see thats where i see your point. painkiller is a B-grade quick action romp, doom 3 is a scary remake of doom ... and in both respects they succeed at being those things. but that doesnt mean they are the best games ever and dont deserve to be faulted.

i've been trying to use an example to explain what i mean, but i just cant.
11:12am 07/08/04 Permalink
Lusty
Gold Coast, Queensland
611 posts
i would really love a D3 remake of the first few original doom levels. secret rooms and all.

everything would come full circle for me then.

i know its only a matter of time before someone does this remake.
11:26am 07/08/04 Permalink
Kaygen
Brisbane, Queensland
4455 posts
It runs at an awesome 5fps on a gf4mx 440 athlon 2200!
11:26am 07/08/04 Permalink
Lusty
Gold Coast, Queensland
612 posts
have you read the thread alrady?

get your head out of your nether-regions, netherlander.
12:22pm 07/08/04 Permalink
God's Hitman
Melbourne, Victoria
1343 posts
yeah CJ, i finished it on veteran, im about to start it again on Nightmare.

Kaygen: well, the game is supposed to run at low details at 640x480 and run well...u can't really expect decent visuals AND good performance on a gf4mx. [H]ardOP had a pretty good article on the performance/quality of Doom 3 on various hardware setups:

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0LDI=

Lusty: Hopefully, someone would make a mod for it which will have designs based on the original Doom levels, the mod potential for this game is huge.

Odie: i agree with you there. the fault of the scripted only imp AI is one example of a flaw, so if we could find one like this, there's bound to be more. ofcourse, no game is perfect, David Wildgoose may not have said anything bad about it...but at least he didn't give it 100% eh? but then again, if we deliberately go looking for flaws, then ofcourse we'd find something. unlike the game itself, Doom 3's faults don't often jump right out at you - instead they tactically hide themselves and avoid the gunfire :P some of you may argue that there are some very obvious flaws, but b4 u comment on them, think about their relevance first. Odie has convinced me that the AI is a problem, i agree with him there now, but as for the linear levels and small MP limit (ive actually found servers hosting 8/8 matches), b4 u comment, think, does it really affect the game that much? would it really be much better if it was non-linear or would it just be different, not necessarily better? am i asking too many questions? why do we care why ppl dis/like the game? blah blah blah?

...blah blah blah? blah blah blah...?
12:34pm 07/08/04 Permalink
Superform
Cairns, Queensland
1947 posts
dont worry about how doom 3 plays as a game...
the engine is beautiful and will give modders something very good to work with when creating games that are bigger and better
01:53pm 07/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
580 posts
linear or non-linear ... mmm. i read an article from a game designer (cant remember who, but it was someone like warren spector) about the subjet. he basically said that non-linear games are boring because there is no flow and no story. he said that a good game has that, but at the same time FEELS non-linear, but actually is linear.

something along those lines. how does this apply to doom3? well, the issue of how linear it was wasnt much of an issue at all for me. i noticed it, often a little too much, but that didnt stop me from playing or enjoying it. it could have been done better, which drops its score a little, but its no great detraction.

i havent played much multiplayer so i wont comment much on it. i originally felt that it would be kinda tacked on and from what i have seen (keep in mind that is not much) i was right.

last edited by Odie at 14:17:16 07/Aug/04
02:15pm 07/08/04 Permalink
rubba-chikin
Brisbane, Queensland
4087 posts
Weeee finally finished... as someone mentioned in some thread i thought the guardian was harder than the cyberdemon/last boss if thats his name, im not a fanboy so im not sure.

Run around in a circle blasting lil turds and using all my bfg cells on the big mutha... can you only hurt it with the soulcube or do you have to damage it to an extent before the soulcube will own it? Cause I was using the soulcube on it before it cut it up to give me health back im curious to know whether those BFG shots actually did anything.
02:21pm 07/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
582 posts
nar they dont. they do diddly.
02:24pm 07/08/04 Permalink
koopz
Queensland
5078 posts

this is why I bought a projector
07:12pm 07/08/04 Permalink
God's Hitman
Melbourne, Victoria
1346 posts
i just got the new Beta Catalyst 4.9 drivers for my 9800 Pro and they made a BIG difference for Doom 3's performance on my PC. it was already pretty good b4 (on 1024x768 on High Details plus all effects enabled including v-sync) but now, even in bigger fire fights the frame rates don't break a sweat.

i dont know how it would affect the competition between both ATI and nVidia's flagship cards though, but i know this'll certainly boost ATI's chances.
09:18pm 07/08/04 Permalink
Erik-the-Red
Brisbane, Queensland
1497 posts
800*600
high detail
33fps
i'd actually run it 1024x768, medium detail, rather than high detail/low res.

it'd be better looking, and the medium detail textures still look beautiful. just make sure u turn on the pretty stuff in advanced settings, and leave it on medium, and it should run as good, but look much better
09:59pm 07/08/04 Permalink
dangles
Queensland
2885 posts
nah ey, it runs smooth as in game, has never gone below 20fps and has never made it impossible to aim, usually is around 40-60 ingame.
10:04pm 07/08/04 Permalink
Erik-the-Red
Brisbane, Queensland
1498 posts
oh, anyone who wants to play nightmare mode straight away, alter the line in doomconfig.cfg
seta g_nightmare "0"
0 -> 1

also, i found a cool thing in the doomconfig
seta g_showProjectilePct "1"
0 -> 1, and you get a readout your accuracy. as in, the percentage of your shots that have hit targets, for the whole game

last edited by Erik-the-Red at 22:22:51 07/Aug/04
10:17pm 07/08/04 Permalink
Kaygen
Brisbane, Queensland
4456 posts
Just updated vid card. Rad 9600XT running 1024x768 med details, works good nothing below 40fps
11:14pm 07/08/04 Permalink
Psycho!
Brisbane, Queensland
4304 posts
http://www.users.on.net/~dwegner/Pics/forumnazi2.jpg

....and he shall lead us from every Evil....

:D

last edited by Psycho! at 23:41:58 07/Aug/04
11:41pm 07/08/04 Permalink
Booyah
Brisbane, Queensland
1132 posts

12:59am 08/08/04 Permalink
demon
Brisbane, Queensland
1184 posts
OMG! this game has guns... other games had guns!?!?!? where's the originality!?!?!? hahaha! jeezuz some people are lamers. the wall health things were also in Blake Stone... another first for id! is there anything they cant do that some newb will attribute to some other game developer who in fact just copied id's originality?! no. no i don't think so.
DOOM f**n rewls. best single player game i have ever played. I'm still undecided about it's multiplayer aspect... i'll decide once i'm getting over 60fps in a timedemo.
01:37pm 08/08/04 Permalink
nF
Other International
7161 posts
I love d3 multiplayer, lights out is an awesome map. The frag chamber is cool too.

It feels a little like all the other id games, like with the rocket popping of quake 1, and the semi-balance of quake 2 and 3. Its just plain cool.
01:56pm 08/08/04 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
1078 posts
Can some1 explain to me why the Xbox version of d3 has co-op and the PC version doesnt?
03:01pm 08/08/04 Permalink
Superform
Cairns, Queensland
1963 posts
cause they got s*** graphics...

so they gotta make it up somewhere...

03:05pm 08/08/04 Permalink
F**nukle
Brisbane, Queensland
2466 posts
new Beta Catalyst 4.9 drivers for my 9800 Pro and they made a BIG difference for Doom 3's performance on my PC.
i tried them with and without the new ati control panel but it wouldnt install properly??

all the other drivers work just not them.. so im prolly gonna give up on them.
03:16pm 08/08/04 Permalink
doober
Brisbane, Queensland
858 posts
I started off playing on medium detail in 1024x768 on my P4 2.8 w/ 9700 pro. I tried high detail and ultra high detail (in the same res) yesterday and it made no noticable difference either in fps or in image quality (i think), wtf?
03:37pm 08/08/04 Permalink
dangles
Queensland
2886 posts
I just got back from hell, mmm been very good so far, except there is way too many imps, and there very easy also, dodge the fireball thingies and charge them and blam em in the face with the shotty. Had the bfg for ages and havent used it heh.
05:22pm 08/08/04 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
5967 posts
I've spent a little time mucking around with my settings, namely using this tweak:

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14874

And also setting:

image_anisotropy "0"
image_useCache "1"
image_cacheMegs "256"
image_cacheMinK "2048"

These tweaks force anisotropic filtering off, and increase the memory available to Doom 3.

I'm also using the new 4.9 BETA catalyst drivers.

After these tweaks, I've managed to get performance up to 45.4 FPS on 1024x768 High Detail (on the timedemo demo1). The only visual difference between my settings and the regular "High" settings is the AF level, so it still looks awesome.

System is an Athlon XP @ 2604MHz (217x12), 2x512MB or PC3200, and a Radeon 9700 non-pro @ 356/335.

I'm very happy with this level of performance in Doom 3 considering my vidcard is >12 months old.

last edited by orbitor at 17:26:54 08/Aug/04
05:25pm 08/08/04 Permalink
zed
1958 posts
has anyone used the 'give doom95' cheat? It doesnt do anything when I try
02:21pm 09/08/04 Permalink
God's Hitman
Melbourne, Victoria
1347 posts
F**nukle: i didnt have any problems installing the new Catalyst 4.9 Beta...maybe b4 u install it, uninstall your current video card drivers first? that's what i did, i had to uninstall 4.8, restart my computer and then install the new beta 4.9. hope it works mate ;)

Superform: that's a typical ignorant biased answer. if you actually read reports on this year's E3 showing, Doom 3 still looked fantastic on the Xbox, which was unbelieveable. it did have some frame drops, but if you'd care to notice, most games before release have low frame rates on any platform, it's part of the development process. considering how the game can run on a gf4mx however, it's not that surprising i guess. the studio behind the Xbox port is called Vicarious Visions and they described their way of thinking as "cramming 10 pounds into a five pound bag" by doing things like bypassing DirectX here and there b/c it was taking up too much space and writing a custom 5.1 sound system to free up computing power. the result is a game that still looks highly advanced, just a different approach in some areas. it may not look as good as a high end PC running Doom 3, but it certainly beats any PC running it that costs 5 times as much as an Xbox.

the REAL reason why Xbox Doom 3 has co-operative and PC doesn't is b/c Microsoft paid id a large sum of money so that the Xbox version has that exclusivity. it has nothing to do with "making up for the s*** graphics" since that's just a stupid ideology. you can blame microsoft all you want, but it's not always JUST the fault of the buyer, the seller first has to allow themselves to be bought. ever wondered why Nintendo isn't budging an inch in the face of Microsoft Corp when Bill Gates declared his interest in purchasing them? it's called Pride, Dignity and Honour.
04:47pm 09/08/04 Permalink
Odie
Brisbane, Queensland
585 posts
could be a large number of reasons actually.
06:06pm 09/08/04 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
1081 posts
* shakes head at MS *

Whats the point of having co-op exclusively for the Xbox. When there are ppl making co-op mods for d3 as we speak!
07:26pm 09/08/04 Permalink
nF
Other International
7167 posts
Coop would ruin Doom3 i reckon.

So would playing with a controller.
07:29pm 09/08/04 Permalink
F**nukle
Brisbane, Queensland
2470 posts
heres another look at console comands

last edited by F**nukle at 19:41:51 09/Aug/04
07:38pm 09/08/04 Permalink
God's Hitman
Melbourne, Victoria
1348 posts
after nF mentioned that it'd ruin Doom 3, come to think about it, co-op would take out the scare factor in Doom 3 since you're playing with a friend...which would leave not much left in the game, since the game is only about the horror, apart from that it's just your average shooter.

it'll still be fun though, but anything is fun with a friend.
09:39pm 09/08/04 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
6950 posts
Made with co-op in mind it could be even more scary, eg. you're heading down a dark hallway together and your friend disappears down a trapdoor in to another passage, or a door shuts cutting you off from each other. All sorts of cool s*** could happen.

last edited by dais at 21:46:11 09/Aug/04
09:45pm 09/08/04 Permalink
Kaygen
Brisbane, Queensland
4470 posts
Has anyone fully tweaked their D3? And is the performance really that noticable?
09:47pm 09/08/04 Permalink
God's Hitman
Melbourne, Victoria
1349 posts
that's true dais...but still, i just can't imagine myself getting scared when a friend is sitting next to me...i cant remember but is the co-op mode Live enabled? b/c it would be scary if the other guy playing with u was over the net, b/c then although it's co-op, you'd still feel isolated.
04:43pm 10/08/04 Permalink
God's Hitman
Melbourne, Victoria
1350 posts
i just mucked around with the settings mentioned in:

http://www.viperlair.com/articles/howto/software/tweakd3/

i have to say, everyone, go for it! i had a performance increase of almost 100%, it was amazing. test out ur new performance by typing timedemo demo1 into the console

last edited by God's Hitman at 18:06:28 10/Aug/04
05:58pm 10/08/04 Permalink
DrFrag
1506 posts
Did anyone else think the ragdoll physics were added without a lot of thought?

I mean, the only time you see it used properly is when you kill a zombie, and even then when you don't do it too much damage.
Other places it's used is knocking over fire hydrants, lamps, laptops, chairs, etc. I found that to be pointless eye candy with no relevance to the game. Like they only added the physics because they could, not like the HL2 previews that show using the physics for traps and alternatives to scripting.

Doom 3 also uses the physics on boxes and barrels, but this was even worse. I mean, when you push a barrel of explosive goo it should grate across the floor like HL1, not rock around like it's made of polystyrene.
06:14am 11/08/04 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
6951 posts
Did you ever use the rocket launcher?
10:36am 11/08/04 Permalink
darkjedi
Brisbane, Queensland
575 posts
I think you'll find the fact that d3 on the xbox will have co-op is because it's easier to control the variables involved in coop (sync issues etc) in a console environment as compared to on a PC.. basically the same reason halo pc wasn't co-op... translation? Too much extra effort to enable coop properly for the pc...
01:16pm 11/08/04 Permalink
DrFrag
1507 posts
Did you ever use the rocket launcher?

A couple of times, but I never found it the most suitable weapon for any monster. Especially since most enounters are up close and rockets cause splash damage. A couple of times I used it on Hell Knights.

If it throws enemies around a bit, I'll have another look into it. :D
03:04pm 11/08/04 Permalink
God's Hitman
Melbourne, Victoria
1351 posts
yeah, the physics weren't really exploited as much, especially when in some areas, i couldn't move this object, but in others it moved effortlessly. comparing to HL2 though, Doom 3 was never meant to be as sophisticated as HL2. in fact, the only reason the two games are always pitted against each other is b/c they both of state of the art graphics and they are both first person shooters...but when looking at it deeper, the two games are very different and shouldn't really be compared on the same principles most of the time.

ofcourse, it would be great to have a game which does everything, but that just won't work (not yet at least). the movement of the lamps and the computers were probably just there to create a more believable environment but yeah, they were pretty pointless from a gameplay perspective. sometimes when i killed a zombie (well...they are already dead, but...:P), he leaned over against the wall, and slowly slided down. it was very unrealistic, but im only going to criticise it if HL2 succeeds upon it, since it's probably just a technology thing atm and im probably just expecting too much from it.
05:18pm 11/08/04 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
1318 posts
Cloudy,
You shouldn't need to drop back down to medium dude
I run the game with "HIGH" settings on this setup

P4 3.0Ghz
ASUS P4G8X Deluxe (533 Mhz bus)
2x512Mb DDR in dual channel (due to granitebay chipset limitation, only runs PC2100)
128 Mb Radeon 9800 Pro

Using the following tweaks, I get upwards of 60+ FPS in 1280 x 1024
During a heavy firegight I drop to mid 30's

set com_showFPS "1"
set com_videoRam "128
set image_downSizeBumpLimit
set image_downSizeBump "1"
set image_downSizeLimit "512"
set image_downSize "1"
set image_useCache "1" // Must be enabled for (set to 1) for additional cacheing tweaks to occurr ( or will crash)
set image_cacheMegs "256"
set image_cacheMinK "20480"
set r_displayRefresh "85" // Provided your monitor supports that refresh rate at the resolution your using
set com_allowConsole "1" // Allows you to use the ~ key for console instead of CTRL + ALT + ~

Hope that helps
09:05pm 13/08/04 Permalink
nF
Other International
7206 posts
The physics in doom3 were really understated.

Besides occasional bits like the skill tester section, you'd hardly notice they were any different to quake 2 physics.

Mind you, fire a rocket into a room and you'll make a hell of a mess of the furniture and so forth.
09:06pm 13/08/04 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
1320 posts
Yeah, I remember grenade jumping across one section cause I couldn't seem to make the jump normally for some reason (when you get the choice to go either one way or another)

Good fun though
09:10pm 13/08/04 Permalink
cobz
Sydney, New South Wales
1200 posts
just got Doom3 from Hardly Normal {harvey norman in campbelltown nsw)

hahaha i live a few blocks away from there, its the s***tiest store, i ordered a 9800 pro there and they tried to sell me a 9800 se for the exact same price.
09:19pm 13/08/04 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
6957 posts
Yeah, I remember grenade jumping across one section cause I couldn't seem to make the jump normally for some reason (when you get the choice to go either one way or another

You know there's a sprint bind right? :P
09:33pm 13/08/04 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
1321 posts
Yar, just couldn't get the damned distance for some reason, got annoyed, remembered I had grens so I thought.. "hmm, wonder if this works still" an voila !!
I was across with only 2 health loss
Was a b***** getting the timing right on the second one tho... wait for bridge to *almost* rotate into position, throw gren, jump at best moment as explosion goes off

You'd think if I had the skills to gren jump I could get the sprint jump happening wouldn't you....
*mumble mumble* etc...
Anyways, was fun finding out some of the ol techniques could still be applied
10:08pm 13/08/04 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
5985 posts
heh, I found just a regular sprint jump worked fine at that bit :P
10:16pm 13/08/04 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
1323 posts
Actually, now that I think about it, I may not have been sprint jumping :/

ah well, I'll soon find out when If I ever get that far again on nightmare..
Man, having your health dropping back down to 25 after a few seconds = OUCH
10:20pm 13/08/04 Permalink
nF
Other International
7208 posts
Sprint key eh?

Interesting, that might also explain the heartbeating thingy.

*slaps forehead*
10:21pm 13/08/04 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
1326 posts

oh oh oh!!!
I can answer this one

Adrenalin (heartbeat) lets you sprint without using up your energy.

Be nice if you could stash em in your pack an then activate them at a place of your time an choosing though.. (same with health I guess)

Probably a config setting (used to be in old school Quakage anyway)
10:27pm 13/08/04 Permalink
DigitaL
Brisbane, Queensland
1635 posts
has anyone finished nightmare here?
10:37pm 13/08/04 Permalink
Dan
Brisbane, Queensland
6690 posts
Interesting, that might also explain the heartbeating thingy.

haha man, you've been playing the game without knowing about the run key?

That heartbeat thing is when you pick up roids and get unlimited stamina.
Also, in some of the later levels you get unlimited orange flashy stamina, so you can just cain around everywhere.
10:38pm 13/08/04 Permalink
sLaps_Forehead
Brisbane, Queensland
1088 posts
Just as a matter of interest. Here is the link to the Doom comic.

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/doomcomic/

It starts off kinda funny with Doom guy running around like a mad c*** after shooting up the "BERSERKER"
10:45pm 13/08/04 Permalink
F**nukle
Brisbane, Queensland
2495 posts
That heartbeat thing is when you pick up roids and get unlimited stamina.
Also, in some of the later levels you get unlimited orange flashy stamina, so you can just cain around everywhere.
Do'h!
'MARGE, wheres the .. thing, that you use to scoop out the .. stuff.
you know the metal thingy and the scooping?'

'a spoon?!'
10:57pm 13/08/04 Permalink
Darius
Gold Coast, Queensland
2146 posts
ive got up to the monorail how far am i ? also ive known about the run key but never realised there was adrenaline even though sometimes i would hear the heartbeat :S
11:01pm 13/08/04 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
6959 posts
Heh I only remembered the sprint bind after trying to jump that same bit for the nth time.
11:06pm 13/08/04 Permalink
procs
Brisbane, Queensland
91 posts
Darius, about 1/4 through the game but in terms of how long the rest will take because it gets harder probably about 1/5 or 1/6 through.
11:09pm 13/08/04 Permalink
Darius
Gold Coast, Queensland
2147 posts
cool :) feels like ive played it for days but thats only because i play it in about 5 - 20 minute times
12:32am 14/08/04 Permalink
harry001
Bendigo, Victoria
1 posts
For those who find it too dark & want the Flashlight with all weapons, all the time:
Try this Mod
http://www.fileplanet.com/files/140000/144035.shtml

"Adds the flashlight to pistol, shotgun, machinegun and plasmagun for those who want nearly constant flashlight action. "

Doesn't change the game balance, weapon power etc.

BTW -Plays fine at 1024x768 on my XP3200 with 9800XT (my new AMD 64 3400 is in the smokin' cupboard waiting for my HIS IceQ2 X800XT - LoL)

BTW2 - using Beta Catalyst 4.9 as suggested by GH

last edited by harry001 at 09:52:13 14/Aug/04
09:36am 14/08/04 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
5987 posts
I'm surprised, you guys didn't read about the sprint function in the manual?
10:29am 14/08/04 Permalink
nF
Other International
7211 posts
The only game that needs a manual is a flightsim.
10:36am 14/08/04 Permalink
F**nukle
Brisbane, Queensland
2496 posts
pfft manuel..
10:38am 14/08/04 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
1329 posts
Manual?

Isn't he the waiter dude of Faulty Towers?
11:02am 14/08/04 Permalink
cloudy
Wollongong, New South Wales
11 posts
Thanks HERMITech for your config set up for Doom3,most helpful.
The graphics are are really good and im using catalyst 4.9 drivers
I remember I had to get an upgrade to my computer on Doom2-changed days
TTFN thanks again guys
12:44pm 14/08/04 Permalink
God's Hitman
Melbourne, Victoria
1352 posts
hmm i dont know why but after running the timedemo, i still get only 35.5 fps :S i have it set to 1024x768 on High with everything turned on except v-sync. i don't have any AA or AF enabled. b4 i tried the tweaks u mentioned HERMITech (which is also mentioned in that site i pointed out earlier), i get around 18.6 fps in the timedemo but afterwards i get 35.5 but still, that's nothing compared to ur 70 fps on 1280x1024. the MAX fps i ever get is a consistent 60, it doesnt drop any lower than 23 though.

my system specs are:

P4 3.0GHZ HT
dual channel 512MB DDR400 (as in 2 X 256MB = 512MB RAM)
9800 Pro 128MB

so with this, although my RAM is half yours, it still shouldn't be such a big difference. any tips?
06:05pm 14/08/04 Permalink
r_mazing
Brisbane, Queensland
283 posts
The monorail is about half way through i thought.
06:21pm 14/08/04 Permalink
DrFrag
1509 posts
I think as far as level count goes, the beginning of Delta section is half way through the game.
03:40am 15/08/04 Permalink
DrFrag
1510 posts
(Fortunately it's not as boring as the first few hours of the same old flickering light crap.)
03:41am 15/08/04 Permalink
HERMITech
Brisbane, Queensland
1333 posts
From everything I have read an seen or myself, the tweaks are geared towards improving your single player experience an not so much for the timedemo. In timedemo, I get 32 fps, yet in single player, my FPS stays up around high 60's - low 70's most of the time.
01:00pm 15/08/04 Permalink
r_mazing
Brisbane, Queensland
286 posts
monorail = 13/26 i believe, so yeh end of that is half way through or start of delta labs.
02:33pm 15/08/04 Permalink
nF
Other International
7234 posts
low 70's most of the time.

Yeah, i call bulls***.
02:34pm 15/08/04 Permalink
God's Hitman
Melbourne, Victoria
1354 posts
my fps in the game (not timedemo) is 60 and below. it hits 60 maybe 40% of the time, other times, it's between 30-40 and never goes below 22. but 60 is the max i get, it never gets any higher than that.
04:30pm 15/08/04 Permalink
God's Hitman
Melbourne, Victoria
1355 posts
i should also mention that in Quake 3, i also never go any higher than 60, although in that case, it never drops below 60, it stays there constantly.
04:32pm 15/08/04 Permalink
F**nukle
Brisbane, Queensland
2499 posts
hmm theres something wrong with your vid card hitman,
tell you what, give it to me and i'll chuck it out for you
08:20pm 15/08/04 Permalink
fpot
Gold Coast, Queensland
9824 posts
my fps in the game (not timedemo) is 60 and below. it hits 60 maybe 40% of the time, other times, it's between 30-40 and never goes below 22. but 60 is the max i get, it never gets any higher than that.
vsync?
08:33pm 15/08/04 Permalink
Hemerage
Brisbane, Queensland
13889 posts
I'm a tad past the monorail
Not too bad.. repetative, but thats to be expected

I've only jumped once so far ... was completely random, got shot while driving that electric cart thing down the tracks

The game scares the f*** out of my lil bro though :)
08:41pm 15/08/04 Permalink
F**nukle
Brisbane, Queensland
2502 posts
scares the f** outta me to
08:54pm 15/08/04 Permalink
DrFrag
1515 posts
I don't mean to belittle your experience F**nukle, but somewhere along the line I think Doom 3 didn't quite succeed. I haven't been able to put my finger on it exactly until now. It's definately one of the most impressive games I've every played, arguably it's the most visually stunning game in existance, but something's lacking.

When I played Half-Life 1 I was quite scared and jumped several times, losing my keyboard fingering and spinning the mouse out (don't worry, this isn't going to be a Half-Life/Doom jihad, I love both). I don't think Half-Life ever marketed itself as scarey, and certainly not in the horror genre. It's definately sci-fi. That doesn't mean it can't be scarey, it just came out that way.

I played Doom 3 at night in the dark with 5.1 sound and didn't jump once. Sure it was very atmospheric, but what exactly were they aiming for? It looks sort of like a sci-fi/horror hybrid. They hired a sci-fi writer for the story, but claimed they really wanted to scare people. They've never written a horror game before and I think it shows. (Doom 1 definately wasn't horror, unless you're scared by pentagrams and impaled bodies. Pentagrams? Meh. Impaled bodies? Gross but not scarey.)

Now I admit the "haunted" areas of the game were excellent. I think they really did succeed here, especially with the whispering, moving objects, blood hallucinations, etc. Extremely well done and kept me on edge. The berzerker pack was good too.
But the rest of it became predictable and even boring very quickly (for the first few hours at least). I mean, how many times did they use the old monster jumping out when you open the door technique? And flashing lights can be used for good effect, but not for five freaking hours. If you want to scare people you need to lull them into a sense of safety first. It's like Doom 3 tried to be intensely scarey the whole way through.
I think they were also tied back a bit by they original roots of the Doom gameplay - a fun, mindless romp where you go crazy slaughtering monsters. That doesn't mix well with horror and fear, which provoke caution.

On the whole, I think Doom 3 is a great game. One of the best ever made. But it wasn't the best sci-fi game ever, and it wasn't the best horror game ever. If you want scarey, I recommend The Thing (or Silent Hill, from what I've heard).

One more thing - why didn't they give us more of the Martian landscape? That orange light, red sand and dust was beautifully done! Absolutely spectacular. Instead I have to run around looking for O2 cylinders.
12:45pm 21/08/04 Permalink
dRanged
Brisbane, Queensland
618 posts
this game is sex!

I just found the chainsaw, oh my.

Can you just imagine the arrogant domination you could have in multi with that chainsaw.....

muahah
01:24pm 21/08/04 Permalink
sharpz
Sydney, New South Wales
11 posts
Can't wait until Monday when I get it.
http://my.ausgamers.com/media/sig-10014314.jpg
08:41pm 21/08/04 Permalink
eldemino
Brisbane, Queensland
217 posts
Did anyone else find the last quarter (or so) of the game a lot easier than the rest of it?
09:26pm 21/08/04 Permalink
sharpz
Sydney, New South Wales
13 posts
Is it like the Doom and Doom 2 if so ..... Not scary and boring.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v459/sharpz/SCPTFSWcopy.jpg
01:50pm 22/08/04 Permalink
sharpz
Sydney, New South Wales
14 posts
01:51pm 22/08/04 Permalink
dais
Brisbane, Queensland
6968 posts
Nah it's liek cs maen, you'll love it.
02:22pm 22/08/04 Permalink
Psycho!
Brisbane, Queensland
4384 posts
Check it out, a work in progress. A guy redoing the original doom levels with the new engine.

Doom3 Classic Looks like the lights might be on too!
04:33pm 29/08/04 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
15220 posts
Check it out, a work in progress. A guy redoing the original doom levels with the new engine.
Sweet - I was waiting for this!
04:39pm 29/08/04 Permalink
dangles
Queensland
2892 posts
ahh that should be awesome.
06:20pm 29/08/04 Permalink
GumbyNoTalent
Brisbane, Queensland
5589 posts
i should also mention that in Quake 3, i also never go any higher than 60, although in that case, it never drops below 60, it stays there constantly.
Make sure you have Vsync disabled utherwise you will be stuck on 60Hz limiting you to a max framerate of 60.

http://www.enemydown.co.uk/article.php?id=75
04:19pm 02/09/04 Permalink
Erik-the-Red
Brisbane, Queensland
1558 posts
also, get some win2k/winxp refresh rate fix in ya.

even if you turn off vsync, it won't mean s*** if your refresh rate is still 60hz, because while your video card will be pumping out more than 60hz, the monitor will only be displaying 60 frame
04:21pm 02/09/04 Permalink
f*****!
Brisbane, Queensland
1 posts

i gots the mancubus, the pinky, the marine and the zombie. totally returned my lost soul because, yes, they are ghay!!!

cannot wait for quake 4.

love carmack (he actually replied to an email of mine! woot!)
01:59pm 06/09/04 Permalink
Astroboy
Brisbane, Queensland
961 posts
02:11pm 06/09/04 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
1010 posts
:(
Just installed it and on initialisation it tells me this:
ERROR: The current video card / driver combination does not support the necessary features
Error during initialization
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem
...wglMakeCurrent( NULL, NULL ): success
...deleting GL context: success
...releasing DC: success
...destroying window
...resetting display
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL

I have directX9 and the latest drivers for my Geforce 4 ti4200

Any ideas?
02:23pm 06/09/04 Permalink
f*****!
Brisbane, Queensland
2 posts
the open GL error is a common one.
either go to the nvidia site or go to
the activision support site for doom 3, type in your age verification details and go from there

hope this helps

http://www.activision.com/en_US/game_list/game_list.jsp
02:35pm 06/09/04 Permalink
reload!
Brisbane, Queensland
1011 posts
:( it just says to get the latest drivers for my vid card, and ive done that...doesnt fix it... :'(
04:13pm 06/09/04 Permalink
F**nukle
Brisbane, Queensland
2616 posts
reinstalll drivers AND then directx

i had trouble with the doom3 drivers, no directx/opengl, so test using dxdiag in start/run
07:05pm 06/09/04 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:05pm 06/09/04 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.