There’s a great game at the core of Diablo: Immortal.
Diablo: Immortal Review - Sanctuary Lost
DreamHack Melbourne represents the first time the festival will hit our shores, and it’s on track to become Australia’s requisite gaming event of the year.
DreamHack Melbourne 2022 is Going to Be Huge
Thanks to the Bethesda ANZ, we've got an amazing custom The Elder Scrolls Online Xbox Series S console pack to giveaway in Australia!
Win This Amazing Elder Scrolls Online Xbox Series S Pack
Overwatch 2 is launching this October, and with a big reveal stream showcasing what's in store, we break it all down...
Overwatch 2 - Everything You Need To Know
Operation Flashpoint Review
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
3342 posts
Those of you who have seen my comments about it on the forums will have a pretty good idea about how I feel about this game, but I've written up a fairly detailed review over on Wireplay. Overall, I best think it could be summed up by the phrase "great idea, poor execution".
12:24pm 13/07/01 Permalink
system
Internet
--
12:24pm 13/07/01 Permalink
natslovR
Sydney, New South Wales
428 posts
I'd love to see Q or HL provide the same appearance of cripsness and speed when pumping through maps the size of those in OFP. And look at how badly HL bombed out when they added the APC to a tiny CS map or two!

Sure, T2 does decently large maps, but there's no where near the same number of objects in the terrain as OFP.

I agree that no 'RM forward' ability sucks, but you get use to it.
04:36pm 13/07/01 Permalink
Mothug
Gold Coast, Queensland
81 posts
I think the game's great, its got good graphics, good gameplay and all that make it a excellent game

it also challenges your skills as playing in a team, on this mission where you are ordered to destroy SHilkas, your role is a machine gunner to support everyone else, well if you sit back and watch you see all your teammates get mowed down, so you actualy have to assist them and that is what i find good as so far no other game ive seen has shown this
06:32pm 13/07/01 Permalink
power
Brisbane, Queensland
746 posts
i wanna use my own keys!!!!!!
07:02pm 13/07/01 Permalink
Fossil
Melbourne, Victoria
1 posts
Well I think I said it all with my feedback left on Wireplay, but if you don't get to see it Trog then I will explain here also.

I think your review of Operation Flashpoint is pretty poor, I say this as you have made some comments which you are clearly wrong about. The first is you DO NOT pickup AK47's from the dead Russians they are actually AK74's....much better gun than the AK47.
As for the engine it is so nice to see somebody get off their butts and develop a new engine it is getting tiring of games being released using the same old engines.....imagine if no one ever developed a new engine we would all be playing HL,Unreal and Quake using the BUILD engine, oh wow that would be interesting. Anyway maybe you should not be so closed minded next time you review a new game and give it the merits it so surely deserves.
11:59pm 14/07/01 Permalink
power
Brisbane, Queensland
816 posts
i bought it yesterday and find it a little hard to aim at the enemy...and flying the chopper was hard...the voice acting is very poor...i really can't say much good about it, feels like it has potential but doesn't follow through
12:09am 15/07/01 Permalink
Mothug
Gold Coast, Queensland
83 posts
aiming is easy, prexx 'v' and that will go to the better aim mode
02:54am 15/07/01 Permalink
Toll Booth Willy
Brisbane, Queensland
511 posts
yer, I played a ripped copy it was fun. I really liked this mission where you sneak into an enemy base and blow up a couple of tanks.. What I did was go in, set my bombs, floged a spare tank, drove off into the sunset and exploded the detpak, mission accomplished :D and I got a free tank
03:21am 15/07/01 Permalink
Hunter
Brisbane, Queensland
976 posts
natsLovR, the reason the APC didn't work well in CS is because of number of things, the engine being least of the reasons. You see, gooseman used a func_train as a base to create it, which is not the greatest idea. Not only that gooseman isn't the worlds best coder either, and thirdly there are no maps that REALLY need an APC in CS. Oh and not to mention the engine is a pile of crap which doesn't help any.

Quake3 is quite capable of having accurately modelled vehicles, its just a matter of actually doing it. I should know - I am working on a tank mod for quake3 so its fair to say I know a little bit about it :). I do agree that the HL engine isn't really good for much but don't dismiss Quake3 - its still a viable engine, and Team Arena is even more useful as the maximum map size is increased quite considerably ( I can't remember the exact figure ).

Anyhow, OFP has two problems, a) very very annoying UI and b) an engine that looks like ass and is buggy

Other than that it looks like its pretty fun.
08:48am 15/07/01 Permalink
dangles
Queensland
1273 posts
well i played the demo of it, it seemed alright but talk about chuggage on my system :( :(, any if it didnt chug as much i might have liked it more :|
09:48am 15/07/01 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
2454 posts
wtf do people keep saying the engine looks like ass?

Yeah, compared to quake3/UT/T2 - its ass. But its handling f***en massive maps, highly detailed vehicles, troops, camps, car and all that s*** and it still looks f***en brilliant IMO.

10:42am 15/07/01 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
2456 posts
11:00am 15/07/01 Permalink
Sprinkles
Brisbane, Queensland
1030 posts
Did you download the demo? And what are you talking about in your next post :)
11:02am 15/07/01 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
2457 posts
stick a http:// in front of the link.
11:02am 15/07/01 Permalink
Sprinkles
Brisbane, Queensland
1031 posts
???
11:05am 15/07/01 Permalink
Toll Booth Willy
Brisbane, Queensland
514 posts
Well Hunter, being somone who knows about these things, you would know that having such HUGE maps and many vehicals/people/buildings that OFP has, they have to keep the poly count as LOW as possible, yet keep it high enough to look good. If OFP looked as good as quake 3 the it would PUTT like a b****. Thats why all those MMO games look like s***. It takes a very talented team of texture artist to make those games look good, as all the depth and detail of the models has to be done using textures.
01:32pm 15/07/01 Permalink
Cyph
Brisbane, Queensland
1079 posts
sure the engine doesnt look anywhere near as good as what q3/ut/t2 can do. but the fact that the levels are huge, the gameplay is fun, and the fact that it runs well on my system and still looks good is brilliant.

only people i find complaining about its looks are people that scream for eye candy, or people with s*** machines.
01:37pm 15/07/01 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
1520 posts
You are such a f**** cyph.
01:59pm 15/07/01 Permalink
Zoix
Queensland
1015 posts
i bought it, too bad it only run in Windows xp for me, and it dont work in 95,98,98se,win2k :(

anyway my adsl should be here.on.the.21st.

spacebar.is.p***t.

e-mail me kadachiman82@hotmail.com
03:02pm 15/07/01 Permalink
Cyph
Brisbane, Queensland
1080 posts
sif khel.
03:35pm 15/07/01 Permalink
Fossil
Melbourne, Victoria
5 posts
Well for those b****ing about OFP not working on 98 or 2k or on sluggush machines i have it running on both 98 and 2k and on a celeron 400 laptop and it works fine.
06:07pm 15/07/01 Permalink
power
Brisbane, Queensland
833 posts
yer it runs fine on my machine i just find the controls and the way you move a little bizarre, i may just need to practice more i think...i also think it looks fine...my system celeron 300A@460 with a GF2MX, nice frames at 1024*768 Direct 3D Hardware T&L...lots of detail on, oh and WinME
06:27pm 15/07/01 Permalink
Sprinkles
Brisbane, Queensland
1032 posts
Trust me peeps for the best LOD landscaping s*** take a look at crytek and the dinosaur demo. Its educational stuff but it has effects I didnt think where even possible.
06:29pm 15/07/01 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
3393 posts
Well Hunter, being somone who knows about these things, you would know that having such HUGE maps and many vehicals/people/buildings that OFP has, they have to keep the poly count as LOW as possible
"level of detail" and "dynamic mesh reduction"
07:44pm 15/07/01 Permalink
Hunter
Brisbane, Queensland
979 posts
Oh huge levels did you say? Any of you seen a game called TRIBES(1). YES 1997/8 technology!
You can't call it a major advancement if someone has ALREADY DONE IT TWICE.
08:48pm 15/07/01 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
2464 posts
I like operation flashpoint.

I made my own level. Its fun.

a/s/l?
08:54pm 15/07/01 Permalink
power
Brisbane, Queensland
849 posts
here we go....
08:55pm 15/07/01 Permalink
Cyph
Brisbane, Queensland
1088 posts
hunter - you'll notice we spoke about tribes 2, and we never actually said tribes couldnt do huge levels either.

oh, and your idea of a mod where you drive vehicles hunter? not a major advancement or idea either! someones done it before!

ahhaa!
09:22pm 15/07/01 Permalink
Hunter
Brisbane, Queensland
980 posts
You aren't too bright are you? Everything is derived from something, nothing is truly original. Its what you do with the base idea that counts. And, to answer your question, a lot of the stuff we are doing hasn't been done in a mod before. So I think you can ggf now.
09:30pm 15/07/01 Permalink
maxe
Brisbane, Queensland
2471 posts
nothing is truly original

PAC-MAN!

hah, owned by maxe.
09:34pm 15/07/01 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
3397 posts
Fossil, I got your email (thanks) and will be responding to it as soon as I get a spare few minutes.

Was interesting to see feedback; I actually thought I was way kind in my review but I guess I wasn't.

The AK74/47 thing was basically a typo and really doesn't make much difference to the review whatsoever, in my opinion.

Just about everyone here on the forum knows what I'd say about the engines; I deliberately left a lot of stuff in the review out about engines so I'll reply to that in my email to you.
09:35pm 15/07/01 Permalink
Toll Booth Willy
Brisbane, Queensland
530 posts
O NO! I agree with Hunter.

'Everything is derived from something'

I fully agree. How come programers can easily see this?

01:22am 16/07/01 Permalink
Toll Booth Willy
Brisbane, Queensland
531 posts
O, there are SOME truely original ideas, these are usually called crack pot ideas tho
01:22am 16/07/01 Permalink
Zoix
Queensland
1016 posts
ok the machines I cant get OPF to work on are...

98se on a p1-200mmx (demo worked) with sli voodoo 12mb's...

98se,win2k on a 1.3Ghz with gf3, only work with win XP...

plus i havent been on the net for about a month, or when one.net shut down or what ever...
01:39am 16/07/01 Permalink
Khel
Brisbane, Queensland
1532 posts
Wow, the texturing on that is so... so... whats the word I'm looking for... so.... ah yes, crap.
01:40am 16/07/01 Permalink
Fossil
Melbourne, Victoria
7 posts
Thanks for the reply Trog I look forward to my email.
01:22pm 16/07/01 Permalink
trog
Brisbane, Queensland
3413 posts
Fossil, I accidentally deleted the last 4 months of my email so if you could reforward your original email that would be great
01:23pm 16/07/01 Permalink
Cyph
Brisbane, Queensland
1094 posts
Wow, the texturing on that is so... so... whats the word I'm looking for... so.... ah yes, crap.

eye candy cry baby.
01:51pm 16/07/01 Permalink
Fossil
Melbourne, Victoria
8 posts
Oh Trog u silly fella LOL, well I can't do that mate as i filled it out on the wireplay feedback section, I am truly sorry. It is ok mate dont worry about the reply.....I know you were sincere.
But if u wish to email me you can at jarber@gravity.com.au.....oh and all spammers will feel the wrath of my broom.
11:00pm 16/07/01 Permalink
Fossil
Melbourne, Victoria
9 posts
Oh Trog u silly fella LOL, well I can't do that mate as i filled it out on the wireplay feedback section, I am truly sorry. It is ok mate dont worry about the reply.....I know you were sincere.
11:02pm 16/07/01 Permalink
cold
Melbourne, Victoria
642 posts
i hear theres a bug in ofp stopping you from getting past the 11th level
09:21am 17/07/01 Permalink
MADMAX
323 posts
stick with quake and cs TROG i really dont want to see you in this game cause you suck and this game rocks along with tribes2 and seeing you in multiplayer would spoil it!
10:14am 17/07/01 Permalink
Cyph
Brisbane, Queensland
1101 posts
cold - its probably that FADE engine crap, how if its not a legit copy of the game it decreases gameplay gradually to the point of it being unplayable.

hehe.
10:33am 17/07/01 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:33am 17/07/01 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.