We chat with some of the engineers at NVIDIA and go behind the scenes of the impressive Quake II RTX mod.
NVIDIA on Quake II RTX as the First Fully Ray-Traced Game
The city builder meets conquest series has been around for many years, and this new entry take the series back to the past to re-capture some magic.
Anno 1800 Review - Going Back to Move Forward
We sit down with Blizzard and the Hearthstone team to talk about what goes into designing a new card set and mechanics.
Talking Hearthstone and the New Rise of Shadows Expansion!
Does it hold up almost a decade after first exploding onto the scene?
Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition Review
360 transfer cable for 250GB HDD
Lainehart
Perth, Western Australia
8 posts
Hey guys,
Have a FFXIII 360 console bundle sitting in my games room, and I borrowed a friend's transfer cable to move everything from my old 20GB HDD to the new 250GB one - but soon found out that the 60GB/120GB transfer cable (or the software) isn't compatible. Is my only real option to get one from MS? Or are there places that sell 3rd party cables?

Thanks
01:10pm 07/04/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
01:10pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
14590 posts
I believe theres an update coming for 360 very soon (or maybe its already out) that lets you plug normal USB hard drives or memory sticks into the 360 and copy save games and DLC onto them. So you could just get a big USB memory stick or hard drive, and copy your stuff over like that.
01:23pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
4684 posts
Yeah, that update came out last night but you're limited to 16GB per USB device.
01:26pm 07/04/10 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
2918 posts

if you ring up microsoft, they ask for the serial number of your old console and the serial number of your new one and they send you out the cable and disc to do the transfer.

that is what i did when i got my elite after my arcade died.
01:51pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
14594 posts
Yeah, the cables aren't free anymore though, I looked into it a month or so ago when I got my elite, they charge you $20 now.
01:55pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Lainehart
Perth, Western Australia
9 posts
Ahh yeah, I forgot about that update. Too bad I just moved in to a house with no way of getting ADSL! (seriously.)
Think MS will give me a cable if I don't have the serial for my old 360? I only kept the HDD. Not looking forward to waiting
another 2 weeks or something to play my 360. Looks like it's back to NMH2, GOW3 and FFXIII =]
02:56pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
14598 posts
Probably not a really cost-effective solution, but if you're desperate for an immediate fix, you could go grab one of the Xbox 360 memory cards, they hold 512mb, you could at least get your savegames accross so you could play stuff. I think they cost like $50 though :(
03:35pm 07/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30119 posts
Holeee crap. Is that for true? There are two different CABLES depending on what drives you have?
03:48pm 07/04/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
6547 posts
what he said ^

this sounds like a joke? they've actually software limited a f*****g transfer cable?
03:49pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Lainehart
Perth, Western Australia
10 posts
From what I can tell, the old software just doesn't have support for the 250GB HD because it hadn't been released at that point in time. Makes sense to me.
04:34pm 07/04/10 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
8742 posts
why don't you setup a fileserver that transcodes your stuff down to your XBox through the network in realtime?
04:42pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Lainehart
Perth, Western Australia
11 posts
why don't you setup a fileserver that transcodes your stuff down to your XBox through the network in realtime?

That's sarcasm, right?
05:56pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
4689 posts
If you don't have ADSL, could you take your 360 to a friend's/relative's place, download the update that allows USB storage, then transfer everything over that way?
06:07pm 07/04/10 Permalink
re so
I can't read
Brisbane, Queensland
5033 posts
I think the new dashboard update dropped today? You could just plug in any old usb memory stick and transfer stuff to that and then on to the new hdd.

Not sure if the dashboard update is actually out yet though :)
06:08pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
4690 posts
re so - It was out last night, like I already said.
06:11pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Lainehart
Perth, Western Australia
12 posts
If you don't have ADSL, could you take your 360 to a
friend's/relative's place, download the update that allows USB storage,
then transfer everything over that way?

Seems like my best option at the moment, just need to make some friends =]
06:11pm 07/04/10 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
30127 posts
re so - It was out last night, like I already said.
does it support NTFS on usb sticks yet (why do I even need to ASK this question)
06:15pm 07/04/10 Permalink
koopz
Brisbane, Queensland
8745 posts
That's sarcasm, right?

aurgh

my bad - I thought you were talking about media transfer so you could watch TV/movies/linux isos from the unit.

I think it's awesome that you're asking how to hack your console on Ausgamers though. more power to ya
06:17pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
4691 posts
does it support NTFS on usb sticks yet (why do I even need to ASK this question)
Nah, it just adds the ability to store stuff on a USB device. It doesn't even use NTFS or exFAT for that, it's a virtual file system on a FAT32 partition.
06:48pm 07/04/10 Permalink
Lainehart
Perth, Western Australia
13 posts
aurgh

my bad - I thought you were talking about media transfer so you could watch TV/movies/linux isos from the unit.

I think it's awesome that you're asking how to hack your console on Ausgamers though. more power to ya

... let me clarify;

I'm talking about transferring my saves/dlc from my old 20GB xbox 360 HDD to my new 250GB xbox 360 HDD.
06:55pm 07/04/10 Permalink
crazymorton
Brisbane, Queensland
1086 posts
this shouldn't be a problem according to MS

Content can be moved to another hard drive as long as the destination hard drive is the same size or larger than the source hard drive. Here are some example hard drive pairings:

check out things here xbo360 to make sure you are doing it right.

I believe you also need to leave your TV on the same display output that you do 360 on, so don't go changing channels or watching TV while it's happening
07:00pm 07/04/10 Permalink
iWhoop
Brisbane, Queensland
15905 posts

How is he hacking anything? He's asking if MS are the only people that sell the transfer cables.

Watch out guys, don't be plugging those firewire cables into your camera and transferring data you might get arrested for hacking!

For related content: I found a tutorial ages ago that told you how to do this without the cable from MS but google once again fails by giving me nothing but online shops that sell the cables or results from other search engines. F*** I hate google lately.

From what I remember you had to take the hard drive out of its case & power it using the console but plug the SATA connector (they're just laptop SATA drives) into a PC.
07:03pm 07/04/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:03pm 07/04/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.