At the recent Six Invitational we had a chance to get nostalgic with Siege dev team members on Rainbow's history
Scoping the History of the Rainbow Six Series, with Dev Input
Capcom brings back its classic action series for the current generation of hardware. So hows does Dante and gang hold up after all these years?
Devil Mary Cry 5 Review - Stylish with a Capital SS
For the longest time I refused to finish Red Dead Redemption 2. Here's why...
After Almost 6 Months I Finally Finished Red Dead Redemption 2
R4 cards lose to Nintendo
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4109 posts

GAMING giant Nintendo has won a legal battle against a manufacturer of game copying devices.

The gadgets, known as R4 cards, are used to download pirated games on to handheld consoles and have been illegal in Australia since 2005.

The company will now have to pay Nintendo $620,000 in damages.

Nintendo wins battle against R4 pirates

$620,000 is considerably less than the $1.5 million that one bloke had to pay for pirating a Wii game.

11:50am 19/02/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
11:50am 19/02/10 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
6351 posts
Your mathematical anaylsis is very impressive.

Never even heard of an R4 card, probably cause I don't have a Nintendo.
11:54am 19/02/10 Permalink
greazy
Brisbane, Queensland
2948 posts
thats funny because R4 is no longer the standard in homebrew chips.
11:57am 19/02/10 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
1459 posts
I got one (better card though) and it works great. How they were ever legal though I have no clue. The only reason they exist is to pirate games.
11:57am 19/02/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
4480 posts
They probably didn't sell that many cards compared to that bloke uploading to thousands of people via BitTorrent.
11:58am 19/02/10 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
1460 posts
Oh no... many many people have these cards. Eaisly beats the number of people who got that guy's version of mario bros. In japan they used to have like R4 vending machines if I remember right.
12:00pm 19/02/10 Permalink
gamer
363 posts
Thermite, that guy ddint have to pay that money. He still lives with his parents and still owns his $8,000 car and isnt going bankrupt.

The closed door deal nintendo made with him was that he had to do every interview that was asked without taking money for it and pretend that he had to pay 1.5million and say it was a bad thing to do and to show an example that nintendo are ruthless. In reality he didnt hand over a sent. it was a big pr thing.

Ill get the link when i get home from work. No time now.
12:04pm 19/02/10 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
4110 posts
what!
12:08pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
4669 posts
They probably didn't sell that many cards compared to that bloke uploading to thousands of people via BitTorrent.

You really underestimate how many people have these cards. Seriously, everyone I know with a DS has some variation of one, including my young cousins, with their pink DS Lites, bought for them by their technologically-challenged mother. They are everywhere.
12:11pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
4481 posts
Er, they've only stopped one mob importing and selling these in Australia, not the actual manufacturer. The sloppy writing on news.com.au probably confused you:
IT Solutions Pty Ltd - which trades as GadgetGear - was selling the cards online in Australia.

The company will now have to pay Nintendo $620,000 in damages.

GadgetGear has also agreed to stop importing the devices into Australia.

Which doesn't fit with the first line:
GAMING giant Nintendo has won a legal battle against a manufacturer of game copying devices.

Anyway, most people would probably buy from places like DealExtreme.

last edited by Mantorok at 12:22:31 19/Feb/10
12:15pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Mass
Brisbane, Queensland
845 posts
I just got a variant of the R4 for my son's DSi, we've had them for a couple years in the DS lites. Yes you use them for pirating games but also for running homebrew on them, the need for them in the DSi has reduced somewhat as they now give you internet access as part of the OS but in the DS lite it was the only way to enable web browsing, media player etc.

My kids probably use the DS more as a media player than a game console these days.
12:53pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Bonez
Sydney, New South Wales
167 posts
We have a couple of cards at home that I use to copy homebrew, mp3's etc onto, but they ain't R4, nope, there are better brands out there that are still available.
04:14pm 19/02/10 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
14286 posts
I got one for my DS, and to be honest I've used it far more to play oldschool adventure games via ScummVM than I have to pirate games. Originally got it to play stuff like Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton when they weren't out here. I still got the big chunky original DS :P
04:32pm 19/02/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
04:32pm 19/02/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.