A look at Stay in the Light, from one-man studio Sunside Games. Designed specifically for NVIDIA GeForce RTX graphics cards.
Stay in the Light – Indie Horror Powered by Ray-Tracing
198X is endearing, and how it presents a compilation of sorts of an era is something that leaves a positive if not lasting impression.
198X Review - Coming of Age in the Arcade Era
We sit down with Blizzard to discuss the creation of its visually striking new zones – Nazjatar and Mechagon.
From Concept to Screen – World of Warcraft's Rise of Azshara
Techland's next parkour leap into Dying Light takes 'post-apocalyptia' to a new level as we explore...
Dying Light 2 - Renaissance Mad Max
Wii to get Netflix
Carson
Gippsland, Victoria
311 posts
The NY times is reporting that the Wii is going to be getting Netflix.
Nintendo is bringing Netflixs online streaming video service to its Wii gaming console, the most popular in the industry, the companies plan to announce Wednesday. The service lets subscribers choose from a catalog of generally older movies and television shows and watch them instantly.

Nintendos rivals are generally further along in that effort. The Sony PlayStation 3 has a Blu-ray disc player and can use Sonys own online movie store. Microsoft has outfitted the Xbox 360 with its Zune high-definition movie store and allows users to chat online while they watch films together. Both of those consoles already offer the Netflix service.

The Wii has had only minimal video material, but it will take a big step forward in this regard with Netflix, when the Wii adds the service this spring. Wii owners with a broadband Internet connection who have at least a $9-a-month subscription to Netflixs DVD-by-mail service will be able to use the online service at no additional cost.

But Wii owners will need to receive a free software disc in the mail from Netflix and put it into their console when they want to watch a movie, as on the PS3.

The Wii, unlike the PS3 and Xbox, is not powerful enough to display high-definition streaming video. Some analysts and industry observers expect Nintendo to announce a new Wii HD version of its console next year.

I'm not sure if I would bother as the Wii lacks the HD I'd want if I was streaming content, but it's interesting none the less. The need for a cd to be in a drive whilst watching seems like nothing more than DRM. Not sure if we Australians will be getting it.
10:00am 14/01/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:00am 14/01/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
27659 posts
the wii wont be able to handle hd, so not really interested;

10:02am 14/01/10 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
5321 posts
pretty much what he said
10:39am 14/01/10 Permalink
simul
Brisbane, Queensland
680 posts
Not sure if we Australians will be getting it.

The Wii announcement won't change anything with regards to this, its been around for 13 years in the states (~3 years for the streaming component). Netflix was meant to expand to UK/Canada a few years ago but it never happened.
10:58am 14/01/10 Permalink
mooby
Brisbane, Queensland
5292 posts
US media centre has had netflix for ages. sif we'd get it. isp's with dl limits ftl
02:41pm 14/01/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
4808 posts
Hogfather's Guide to Fix Media Piracy

1. Streaming HD Media available online, on demand. SD available for slower connections.

2. XBMC-style non-sucky MC application

3. Peering / Caching of local data - data is not included in internet quota. WORK WITH ISPs as valuable distribution infrastructure instead of SUING THEM.

4. New Releases @ $3.50 AU per view

5. Older titles @ $1.00 per view

6. TV shows 25c per episode

7. No more regionalisation. TV shows available immediately after airing in their native region

8. Option to purchase a permanent license to view the media

9. Various usage options, all the way up to view entire unrestricted catalogue on demand ($100 / month?), or ad-supported viewing

Prices may be out but that's what I would pay anyway I reckon.

The fact that Big Media has been focused on litigation rather than innovation is their own f*****g fault. Yes it would f*** over video shops, but surely their industry is doomed anyway?

last edited by Hogfather at 14:59:35 14/Jan/10
02:56pm 14/01/10 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
27678 posts
really, who actually goes to video stores anymore?

i cant even remember the last time i went, but it would be 5+ years at least; (nad that would have been to hire games, not moofies)

you are right though hoggy, they need to make illegal downloads not worth the effort (ie, they use up your quota, and the legit media is cheap enough that its worth doing it that way)

08:33am 15/01/10 Permalink
stinky
USA
3342 posts
hey hogfather, what skin are you using for XBMC? I think I remember you saying you changed from Aeon recently, but I couldn't find the thread.
08:42am 15/01/10 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
4486 posts
Agree with Hogfather.

I'd probably use the Zune Marketplace on the 360 if it weren't $7 for a movie. F*** that.
10:53am 15/01/10 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
4812 posts
Stinky - using the new Rapier skin now, I really like the media detail views. Its pretty slick all round.

Had a play with Xperience last night, went back to Rapier as its in beta but looks really good too if you like the x360 style. The 3-block media view in Xperience will be great once they tweak it some more. Shame about the "no never" mouse support though.

they need to make illegal downloads not worth the effort

That's the thing, illegal media is a bit of a pain in the arse!

At 3-4 bucks a pop unmetered why the f*** would you bother looking for a rip and waiting for the whole thing to download, when you could BAM PLAY NOW on your Big Media Player, all nice and legal?

This is 100% doable but they are so focused on litigation and protection of supply mechanisms that their customers are leaving behind.

Paying as much or more for digital downloads while you have to fork out for the data on top will never fly! It isn't a serious attempt to meet consumer demand as it doesn't recognise the customer's contribution to the supply of the product.

last edited by Hogfather at 11:36:04 15/Jan/10
11:26am 15/01/10 Permalink
stinky
USA
3343 posts
IMO TV unlike music/newspaper industries still have a chance at doing things right on the internet.

Hulu and Netflix are great examples of how they can provide TV content cheap and/or ad supported on the internet.
05:08am 16/01/10 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
10191 posts
The Xbox Zune service could be excellent, but for some reason Microsoft have made it stupidly expensive.

The streaming is great, doesn't miss a bit even for HD video.

Unfortunately the movies are roughly $8 a pop. WTF? $4's a pop and I'm sold. $8 is too much, especially considering I'm using my own quota for it. iiNet give me free unmetered access to FREE content on Xbox live, but stuff you pay for is not counted..

So until they drop the price to $4 or less AND work with ISP's to make the quota not count or at worst only count at half-cost I won't use the service.
07:06am 16/01/10 Permalink
HerbalLizard
Queenstown, New Zealand
3704 posts
Maybe $8 for drm free do what ever the f*** you like with it media then yeah no worries $8 isn't bad if its hd content
07:09am 16/01/10 Permalink
lewd
Brisbane, Queensland
558 posts
spook, not everyone has the internet or a pc for that matter.
i know heaps of people who still go to the video store.
if they didnt, there woudlnt be video stores..............
i personally havent stepped foot in one for 5 years easy, but thats not really something im neccesarily proud of, im just a lazy thief i guess.
remember, the world isnt all netnerds and flaming.......

09:04am 16/01/10 Permalink
system
Internet
--
09:04am 16/01/10 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.