We chat with some of the engineers at NVIDIA and go behind the scenes of the impressive Quake II RTX mod.
NVIDIA on Quake II RTX as the First Fully Ray-Traced Game
The city builder meets conquest series has been around for many years, and this new entry take the series back to the past to re-capture some magic.
Anno 1800 Review - Going Back to Move Forward
We sit down with Blizzard and the Hearthstone team to talk about what goes into designing a new card set and mechanics.
Talking Hearthstone and the New Rise of Shadows Expansion!
Does it hold up almost a decade after first exploding onto the scene?
Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition Review
Who's using an XBOX 360 as a HTPC?
Zylox
Brisbane, Queensland
1184 posts

Got a free 360 signing up with Optus Cable for 24months and they finally delivered it after 4 months. I was going to sell it but I've decided to make it a HTPC if i can and free up my theatre rig for another gaming rig.

I dont need to play games on it nor want to.
I basically want to put VLC on it as I have some mkv's to play.
I got 2 1TB HDD's that i'll probably put in a USB JBOD which is the only cost of this endevour (<$100).

Where do I start?
10:07pm 17/11/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:07pm 17/11/09 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
4194 posts
10:30pm 17/11/09 Permalink
Triamks
Brisbane, Queensland
2618 posts
Yeah, don't think it's possible outside of it being a Media Center Extender.
10:43pm 17/11/09 Permalink
Crizane Tribal
Brisbane, Queensland
2805 posts
We have a proper HTPC in our lounge, but we usually just use the Xbox 360 as it's a bit easier. We don't download MKV's though. I reckon the 360 makes a rad little HTPC for $300.
10:44pm 17/11/09 Permalink
Zylox
Brisbane, Queensland
1187 posts
We don't download MKV's though.

I encode MKV off of "free to air" HD channels or from a PVR. No DL's!
10:50pm 17/11/09 Permalink
Crizane Tribal
Brisbane, Queensland
2807 posts
*cough* I download legitimate video files from sites like ABC.
10:53pm 17/11/09 Permalink
Zylox
Brisbane, Queensland
1189 posts
damn. I might have to add a bluray drive to the equation.
11:23pm 17/11/09 Permalink
giririsss
Brisbane, Queensland
3310 posts
I don't think you're using it right.

Install something like TVersity, and run a media server on your PC. Then get the xbox to connect to TVersity. Tversity will automatically convert your MKV's into a format that the xbox can play. You don't actually need to mod the 360 at all.
12:15pm 18/11/09 Permalink
Carson
Gippsland, Victoria
217 posts
I don't think you're using it right.

Install something like TVersity, and run a media server on your PC. Then get the xbox to connect to TVersity. Tversity will automatically convert your MKV's into a format that the xbox can play. You don't actually need to mod the 360 at all.

I've always had problems with getting tversity to convert mkvs.

That being said, everything else about tversity is fantastic.
12:29pm 18/11/09 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
10016 posts
Also, if you are going wireless, buy a DD-WRT supported router.

I bought a $38 ASUS wl-520GC and it worked most excellently. Unfortunately it seems Umart and MSY no longer stock them. I must have brought one of the last 8 Umart had..

12:37pm 18/11/09 Permalink
orbitor
Brisbane, Queensland
8059 posts
Just use GotSENT on your mkv's: http://sentry23.googlepages.com/

It'll make a nice compatible vid file for your 360 without you having to do anything at all besides point it at the file you want converted.
12:42pm 18/11/09 Permalink
skythra
Brisbane, Queensland
1702 posts
Get TVERSITY and stream s*** from your PC.

Make sure you have for the folders shared as media to tversity "enable encoding as required" or whatever the setting is. That way MKV's get dubbed into mpeg4 and the subtitles should be on by default.

Thats all i use, and its fantastic.

But i also play video games on the xbox so you know, i think its worth it for that. Otherwise i'd suggest you sell it for a couple hundred and build a HTPC.
I've always had problems with getting tversity to convert mkvs.
You're doing something wrong then. Check to make sure you have reencoding enabled on shared folders :P it took me about 2 days to find it. When you add a folder as shared media in the advanced options it has the setting. GL

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/skythra/Tversitysettings.jpg
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/skythra/transcodersettings.jpg

Just wanted to say this is better than having a second copy of something taking up space, it just transcodes on the fly, to a good format the device likes, and you don't have to plan in advance, you just use your xbox to navigate to the file and press play. No "oh i want to see this TV show, i'll go encode it now and go make dinner and i'll watch it when i get back" its just "I'll watch it so i'll press play".

last edited by skythra at 19:39:51 18/Nov/09
03:08pm 18/11/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
03:08pm 18/11/09 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.