We chat to Ubisoft's Shelley Johnson and discuss the game's fascinating and groundbreaking open-world design.
Watch Dogs Legion Interview
We dig deep to discover the appeal of the stylish guns, bullets, and bananas action game.
My Friend Pedro Review - An Appealing Action Game
As part of E3 2019 we had the chance to go hands on with DOOM Eternal and witness the evolution of the id Software's re-imagining of the iconic series.
DOOM Eternal - The id Software Shooter Perfected
We sit down with Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint producer Nouredine Abboud to talk about the latest Ghost adventure.
Ghost Recon Breakpoint Interview
X-Box Million Modders Marooned
imitation
Brisbane, Queensland
2904 posts
link Up to a million X-Box live customers to be cut off.
02:15pm 12/11/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
02:15pm 12/11/09 Permalink
Freewheelin
Brisbane, Queensland
1602 posts
whats with all of the [something] threads recently.

i dont like this trend. i dont like this trend at all

its like qgl/ag is turning into .. [something] i dont like
02:18pm 12/11/09 Permalink
blahnana
Brisbane, Queensland
397 posts
This is boba's fault.
02:24pm 12/11/09 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
3174 posts
The health of the video games industry also depends on reasonable pricing. $90USD for a game is not reasonable.

Before someone says, "If you don't like it, don't buy it." know this: I have no plans to.

I agree with the article though - the games industry is much 'better off' [than film and TV] as they head towards complete anti-piracy measures with server authorisation (through Live, Steam or similar supply channels).
02:46pm 12/11/09 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
4038 posts
This won't really accomplish much IMO. Enough of the console experience is single player or offline multiplayer that being banzored from Live won't make it really discouraging, given how much free s*** modding opens up to the unscrupulous.

Especially when our console juarez monkee can just ebay a 360 arcade for like 200 bucks if he decides that a particular game is massively online epic omg sex and simply must play it.

last edited by Hogfather at 14:56:07 12/Nov/09
02:54pm 12/11/09 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
8179 posts
Microsoft reserves complete and sole discretion with respect to the operation of the Service. Microsoft may, among other things: (a) restrict or limit access to the Service; (cool.gif retrieve information from the original Xbox, Xbox 360 console, personal computer, and any connected peripheral device used to log onto the Service as necessary to operate and protect the security of the Service, and to enforce this contract; and upgrade, modify, withdraw, suspend, or discontinue any functionality or feature of the Service, any game or other content available or accessible through the Service, or any hardware or software associated with the Service or with an original Xbox or Xbox 360 console, or personal computer, from time to time without notice, which may involve the automatic download of related software directly to your original Xbox, Xbox 360 console, or personal computer, including software that prevents you from accessing the Service, playing pirated games, or using unauthorized hardware peripheral devices.

That is the agreement for xbox live (and games for windows live)... apparently we agreed to let them disable our PC hardware if they so choose!!! /faceman conspiracy

03:27pm 12/11/09 Permalink
Syco
Brisbane, Queensland
757 posts
Microsoft has cut off up to one million users of the Xbox 360 games console who modified their machines to play pirated games.

The latest entertainment company to instigate a piracy crackdown, Microsoft said only a "small percentage" of its 20 million Xbox Live players worldwide were caught up in the sweep.

One Twentieth of their customers isn't what I'd call a small percentage.
03:27pm 12/11/09 Permalink
FaceMan
Brisbane, Queensland
2145 posts
Banning people from Live means Live has less players ?
Doesnt that mean a loss of revenue ?
Anyone that gets banned may aswell stop buying games and Pirate them.
Argh!
03:28pm 12/11/09 Permalink
groganus
Brisbane, Queensland
769 posts
Banning people from Live means Live has less players ?
Doesnt that mean a loss of revenue ?
Anyone that gets banned may aswell stop buying games and Pirate them.
Argh!

No the account doesnt get banned from live.. the actual console itself does... you can take your profile to another machine and play it on that fine... There for if you do have an active gold sub you can continue your subscription with another console.

As stated above you can get a new console for $200, cost of pirating a game is about $3 a game + bandwith - legit games cost $80-120.... Its been a year since the last mass banning... in that time you can easily recover via savings through piracy of a new console... so essentially it does nothing to stop piracy.. its just annoying.

last edited by groganus at 15:37:06 12/Nov/09
03:34pm 12/11/09 Permalink
Beanith
Brisbane, Queensland
134 posts
Microsoft has cut off up to one million users of the Xbox 360 games console who modified their machines to play pirated games.

The latest entertainment company to instigate a piracy crackdown, Microsoft said only a "small percentage" of its 20 million Xbox Live players worldwide were caught up in the sweep.
One Twentieth of their customers isn't what I'd call a small percentage.

However, video games websites suggested that between 600,000 and one million people might be cut off. So essentially video game websites have been having wild guesses at numbers Microsoft wont release... good on you Sydney Morning Herald for well done research and reporting.

Banning the console from accessing the Live service is pretty hardcore though. Given a lot of console games these days have day one patches available when you first run them, not being able to get them will suck.
03:42pm 12/11/09 Permalink
tequila
Brisbane, Queensland
4095 posts
All consumers should know that piracy is illegal and that modifying their Xbox 360 console to play pirated discs violates the Xbox Live terms of use, will void their warranty and result in a ban from Xbox Live,

what if I only modified it so that it could play my backups of games I actually own? :s

are microsoft calling me a pirate?
03:45pm 12/11/09 Permalink
mooby
Brisbane, Queensland
5168 posts
03:54pm 12/11/09 Permalink
Tollaz0r!
Brisbane, Queensland
10001 posts
Aye, I don't think you can do that.

03:54pm 12/11/09 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
3133 posts
Take your xbox back to the shop for a refund, tell them you made it clear to the salesman that it was a condition of sale that you would only purchase an xbox if it was capable of connecting to LIVE.
04:01pm 12/11/09 Permalink
Superform
Netherlands
5925 posts
it was.. till you f***ed with it
05:10pm 12/11/09 Permalink
Obes
Brisbane, Queensland
8180 posts
Take your xbox back to the shop for a refund, tell them you made it clear to the salesman that it was a condition of sale that you would only purchase an xbox if it was capable of connecting to LIVE.

I don't recommend anyone follows this advice. It's called fraud.
05:40pm 12/11/09 Permalink
trog
AGN Admin
Brisbane, Queensland
28251 posts
Uh, Obes, I think you'll find that FRAUD was an Austrian psychologist
05:48pm 12/11/09 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
4041 posts
Too much bean baggin for torgles.
05:55pm 12/11/09 Permalink
imitation
Brisbane, Queensland
2914 posts
Fraudian slip?
06:25pm 12/11/09 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
14859 posts
In some cases, this could deny gamers access to large parts of the game, as more and more titles, such as the enormously popular Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, which went on sale this week, emphasise online play.

Oh the irony

How do they know a person modded their box to play pirated games? I've got a modded xbox that I NEVER played xbox games on, ever. It got used for media stuff and that was it.

Also how is this news? I thought MS were always doing the whole banning of mod chip users thing?

last edited by whoop at 19:36:13 12/Nov/09
07:33pm 12/11/09 Permalink
Hogfather
Cairns, Queensland
4042 posts
Are they banhammering Aussies btw? I recall reading on forums somewhere one time that chips are legal here or something?

C/D?
07:53pm 12/11/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:53pm 12/11/09 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.