We chat with some of the engineers at NVIDIA and go behind the scenes of the impressive Quake II RTX mod.
NVIDIA on Quake II RTX as the First Fully Ray-Traced Game
The city builder meets conquest series has been around for many years, and this new entry take the series back to the past to re-capture some magic.
Anno 1800 Review - Going Back to Move Forward
We sit down with Blizzard and the Hearthstone team to talk about what goes into designing a new card set and mechanics.
Talking Hearthstone and the New Rise of Shadows Expansion!
Does it hold up almost a decade after first exploding onto the scene?
Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition Review
King of Kong - New record attempt in progress
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
6400 posts
Steve Wiebe, from the documentary "The King of Kong" is currently attempting to set a new world record for Donkey Kong live on stage at E3.

Hes apparently up to ~ 800k points with one extra life left.

The current record is 1,050,200 held by Billy Mitchell (also from the film).

There is live coverage here but I cant access it myself, I think my work network blocks flash video or something.
10:34am 03/06/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
10:34am 03/06/09 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
1671 posts
wow that's so cool - the saga continues!
10:43am 03/06/09 Permalink
Spook
Brisbane, Queensland
25220 posts
epic battle!
man, that would be so painful to play a game that bad for so long so often:

i cant help but be impressed with their stamina and dedication!
10:47am 03/06/09 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
16512 posts
F*** that's cool. I bet Billy Mitchell already has a VHS tape ready to hand in just in case the score gets beaten.
10:51am 03/06/09 Permalink
Reverend Evil™
Wynnum, Queensland
16513 posts
LOL, he just lost all his men.
10:53am 03/06/09 Permalink
Nakor
Brisbane, Queensland
3013 posts
just finished, got to kill screen, but didnt seem to even try it cause he was too below on points

989k he got to
10:53am 03/06/09 Permalink
Le C***
Brisbane, Queensland
5086 posts
Billy Mitchell is such a douche.
10:56am 03/06/09 Permalink
CHUB
Brisbane, Queensland
5193 posts
I went DK crazy after that doco.

God damn that game is hard, I got up somewhere around 220,000 after ~2 months with MAME and my joystick.

The barrel levels are easier later on IMO, everything else blows though.
10:59am 03/06/09 Permalink
Damo
Brisbane, Queensland
3690 posts
Looks like he got 969k..
11:00am 03/06/09 Permalink
mongie
Brisbane, Queensland
6401 posts
:(

That was his fourth attempt.
11:02am 03/06/09 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
1446 posts
Billy Mitchell is such a douche.

Agreed - he acted like such a d*** in the film. He couldn't deal with someone being able to beat this high score.
11:49am 03/06/09 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
1158 posts
Bummer, he missed out, im sure he will get there eventually.

Apparently the movie is edited to make the events that happened seem alot worse, but still, the scene were billy justs walks right passed steve and steve says hi and he just ignores him and says some little b****y remark makes me want to punch him in the face.
12:01pm 03/06/09 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
1674 posts
How do you know that wasn't a response to something arrogant that Steve did, but the director chose to edit that out so as to portray Billy as the evil nemesis. Standard doco trick. I'm not saying Billy was the nicest guy - but he had his supporters too.
12:06pm 03/06/09 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
2616 posts

Get f***ed.

at the end steve wiebe has won everyone over but billy.

the main judge guy is like "steve is special... as far as i am concerned you are a top player worthy of the highest regard"

billy's side kick steve sanders "i have no question about his integrity, his ability or anything else. he has proven himself not only as a donkey kong player but also as someone who really desires to do the right thing."

all this time billy his giving him a filthy look and then the interviewer goes "do you agree?"

billy "i am not familiar enough with his situation" and then gives another dirty look to his side kick.
12:19pm 03/06/09 Permalink
thermite
Brisbane, Queensland
1675 posts
OK I can't remember exactly how it was put together, but what you saw was a short clip edited from a much larger session. We don't know what was said before or after, or whether the off-camera voice was changed, or whether the shot of his reaction was even from the same part of the conversation. I've even seen them copy-paste people into the wrong scene (Kitchen Nightmares) to add a reaction.
Even a simple choice like: Someone says something, then the video cuts to black or another scene - instantly makes you remember the last thing the last person said and remember the last look they had on their face. It can really change your perception of a scene. For added effect - they can choose to cut to something of significance and it instantly makes a link between what is cut to and what was cut from. Like someone dropping their pants - cut to someone making a chocolate soft serve - instantly implies the person in the previous scene was about to take a crap.
12:35pm 03/06/09 Permalink
Pinky
Melbourne, Victoria
1630 posts
Cracking doco that was. Up there with my all-time faves.
12:48pm 03/06/09 Permalink
Tiny
Brisbane, Queensland
1447 posts
OK I can't remember exactly how it was put together, but what you saw was a short clip edited from a much larger session. We don't know what was said before or after, or whether the off-camera voice was changed, or whether the shot of his reaction was even from the same part of the conversation. I've even seen them copy-paste people into the wrong scene (Kitchen Nightmares) to add a reaction. Even a simple choice like: Someone says something, then the video cuts to black or another scene - instantly makes you remember the last thing the last person said and remember the last look they had on their face. It can really change your perception of a scene. For added effect - they can choose to cut to something of significance and it instantly makes a link between what is cut to and what was cut from. Like someone dropping their pants - cut to someone making a chocolate soft serve - instantly implies the person in the previous scene was about to take a crap.

Regardless of wether or not it was exxagerated in the film he is still a d***. You hear other people talking about Billy being a wanka during the film. Billy also would not participate in any live competitions with Steve... why is that?

Even if he was made out to be worse than he was. He did certain things in that film that pretty much sealed the way he was portrayed to the audience. Him not even attending game spot for a match up is not something that was "edited" out , he simply did not go because he cannot hack being beaten.
01:02pm 03/06/09 Permalink
paveway
Brisbane, Queensland
9821 posts
donkey kong - serious business
01:08pm 03/06/09 Permalink
Snakeman
Queensland
571 posts
Billy Mitchell is a c****poon regardless of the scene being edited or not. They guy handed in a crappy vhs copy of him beating the high score which was ten times worse than those guys rocking up to Weebie's house to accuse Weebie of having a rigged Donkey Kong machine.
01:09pm 03/06/09 Permalink
ara
Sydney, New South Wales
2617 posts

rocking up? you mean breaking into his garage, dismantling his arcade machine and taking photos of the board then accusing him of being a cheat when they are caught.
01:46pm 03/06/09 Permalink
Zak
UK
1938 posts
Heh, just watching the last few eps of My Name is Earl - season 4, ep 19 there is a King of Kong reference.
05:04pm 04/06/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
05:04pm 04/06/09 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.