At BlizzCon 2018 we sat down with the team behind the upcoming mobile game Diablo Immortal to talk about bringing the franchise to an even smaller screen.
Talking Diablo Immortal with Blizzard
Plus, of course, plenty of B.O.B. - Ashe’s trusty Omnic sidekick.
Talking Overwatch and the 29th Hero Ashe with Jeff Kaplan
Our in-depth conversation with with Microsoft’s Chris Charla, the head of its indie platform – ID@Xbox.
In Conversation - Talking Indies and More with Chris Charla
We go through the history of Alienware, the rise of esports, and becoming the market leader with co-founder Frank Azor.
Ahead of the Curve - The Alienware Story
PS3 Troubles
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
892 posts
I'm currently using my PS3 setup with my PC monitor using an HDMI cable that came with the package I bought. the past 2 days i've hired out RE5 and Killzone 2 and just wanted to know something. Both games looked rather blurry, washed out and generally unappealing to look at. Given how much praise killzone 2 has gotten for its graphics like this

Killzone 2 is one of the finest, most visually unified games ever made. Period. It's a rush to just sit back and watch, almost to the point of distraction. It uses colour and lighting to evocative effect, while impressing on a technical level as much as an artistic one. The framerate is locked at 30 frames per second and we never encountered any slowdown.

Really? This is stunning? This lead me to think mabye I have a setting wrong or something. I got my PS3 running at 1080P with that RGB setting set to full. Is it just the games made for the PS3 are s***** looking or do I have something wrong that is messing up the quality?

08:23pm 26/03/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
08:23pm 26/03/09 Permalink
Crakaveli
USA
3212 posts
Haven't you heard? blurry, washed out and generally unappealing is in atm.
08:31pm 26/03/09 Permalink
Pirroh
Melbourne, Victoria
72 posts
I'll assume something is messing up the quality of the picture, Killzone on my standard TV looks fantastic.
08:47pm 26/03/09 Permalink
Mallory
Gold Coast, Queensland
14 posts
Yeah, just play wii fit!
08:49pm 26/03/09 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
3364 posts
Something's going wrong, because Killzone 2 look fantastic on my TV at 1080p. But, if you've already got the colour range set to full, I don't know what to tell you.
08:59pm 26/03/09 Permalink
Resonate
Brisbane, Queensland
383 posts
Both games look fine. It's you.
09:01pm 26/03/09 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
13691 posts
I assume your monitor can do 1080p? When I first got my xbox360 I thought the graphics looked like utter s*** until I realised it wasn't running in the native res of my LCD, put it on the native res and hooooly s*** was I impressed (well not really but it did look better).
02:34am 27/03/09 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
893 posts
I assume your monitor can do 1080p?

Yeah i'm using a BenQ G2400W 24 inch monitor and it can apparently do it. Also before any comments of "well theres your problem, f*****g benq" or whatnot the imagery looks the same on our sony 50 inch bravia that we got mabye 6 months ago. Even on that things look fuzzy, blurry and just crap looking. I'm gonna have a bit of a looksie now before bed and see if i can work out why things just look kinda s*****. Before my 360 died, it looked much better than what my ps3 does

EDIT - fiddled with the options as much as I can and I guess it really is that the games i'm playing really just aren't that great looking as people claim they are. I'm not expecting amazingly crystal clear graphics like I get on my pc but just thought i'd get better quality than what I am. Well I shouldn't say crap looking really. They are nice but the amount people rave about some of them you'd think they were crafted gems of gold and diamonds. Killzone 2 is being portrayed as the single greatest graphical achivement of all time and that it destroys PC graphics. All I can say to that is f*** off it does. Farcry 2, Crysis and F.E.A.R. 2 have much better graphics to me. All crystal clear and awesome.

last edited by DM at 03:59:04 27/Mar/09
03:21am 27/03/09 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
13171 posts
Maybe your HDMI cable is f***ed or something, because the graphics in RE5 and Killzone on my tv ARE crystal clear, theres no blurry crap.
08:45am 27/03/09 Permalink
`ViPER`
Brisbane, Queensland
950 posts
Yeah cause a crappy HDMI cable with A DIGITAL SIGNAL can cause the image to blur somehow. your thinking analog.
09:41am 27/03/09 Permalink
mission
Brisbane, Queensland
4876 posts
Maybe you also need a monocle?
09:50am 27/03/09 Permalink
Khel
Melbourne, Victoria
13173 posts
Maybe you have vasoline smeared on your screen
10:36am 27/03/09 Permalink
icewyrm
Brisbane, Queensland
2137 posts
Got a capture card? You could cap a 10 second or so clip of in game footage, then play it back on other screens to compare it. You could also upload it for others to check.

Or did I miss the point of this thread?
11:17am 27/03/09 Permalink
Hyperslide
Melbourne, Victoria
165 posts
Hi,

My suggestion would be to reinstall the OS on the PS3 (I believe the option is in the system settings menu) sounds like something has gone wrong with the drivers for the video.

Make sure you backup before you set the reimage off.

Cheers,
01:09pm 27/03/09 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
3368 posts
My suggestion would be to reinstall the OS on the PS3 (I believe the option is in the system settings menu)

That's just for installing Linux.
04:59pm 27/03/09 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
895 posts
I've been fiddling with it some more and got it about as good as it's going to get. Thanks for the suggestions but all this hype over the games leads me to believe that the claims are made by people who don't have a medium to high end PC. Thanks anyway all
05:12pm 27/03/09 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
3370 posts
I still reckon that something's wrong. Killzone 2 and RE5 look far better than any PC game I've seen recently.
07:17pm 27/03/09 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
896 posts
Well I dont have a capture card and no real way to take any screenshots. Taking a manual shot with a digital camera wont do any good either. If only monitors had a screenshot button on them somewhere. It's hard to explain the problem when no one can see it but me

EDIT - actually i'll just list all my options in my PS3 menu if that helps any...

Settings -> Display

Video output settings - automatic but currently 1080p (720p, 1080i and 1080p checked/supported)
cross colour reduction filter - off
RGB full range (HDMI) - full
y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI) - On)

Settings -> Games

PS Upscaling - Off
PS Smoothing - On

last edited by DM at 19:49:00 27/Mar/09
07:42pm 27/03/09 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
13692 posts
Why won't taking a pic with a digital camera work?
08:57pm 27/03/09 Permalink
Bah
Brisbane, Queensland
3235 posts
Sure it isnt an in game setting?
Seems like on pc console ports put stupid things like motion blur in as default options and it does exactly what it says, makes everything look blurry, turn it off and everything looks sharp. Fear 2 was the most recent game I played which had this, left it on for about 2 seconds.
09:12pm 27/03/09 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
897 posts
Killzone 2 doesn't options for its display. it's only gamma correction. Closest thing I can find to showing how the graphics look for me is this picture

http://www.split-screen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/comparison-4.jpg

See how the gun skin on the right (killzone obviously) is blurry? well apply that blur to EVERYTHING in, and out of range and thats what my graphics look like. Nothing is clear and it just looks decent, not great as people claim

last edited by DM at 21:33:52 27/Mar/09
09:31pm 27/03/09 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
3373 posts
The blur on the right is depth of field blur, it's supposed to be there. If you ask me, the Killzone 2 shot looks much nicer than that Crysis one.
10:13pm 27/03/09 Permalink
paradigm
Brisbane, Queensland
62 posts
I need to get some of these games. Call of Duty 4 looks nice and crisp on my PS3...I would compare the PS3 graphics to my PC as quite competitive.
10:18pm 27/03/09 Permalink
WreckTim
Brisbane, Queensland
380 posts
throw a bucket of water over it all. that fixes everything
11:23pm 27/03/09 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
3374 posts
The only thing I can think of is that there's some strange setting on your monitor that's cause the issue. Is this the first time you've run anything through your monitor on HDMI? Are there any special settings in the monitor that you can adjust?
12:45am 28/03/09 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
898 posts
I've looked but cant find anything. nothing special to do with HDMI that I know of. there are some features idk much about however. Stupid things like "adc/uc on/off" well wtf does that mean? thanks for telling me. Trying to find the manual but no luck there. and the offical BenQ site doesn't even have my monitor on their site. the G2400W is classed as a 22 inch monitor and with no HDMI.
12:53am 28/03/09 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
3311 posts
I'd say it actually looks right. The problem is neither the 360 or PS3 have the same amount of memory as a modern PC, so they can't really keep up in terms of texture quality.
01:09am 28/03/09 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
3375 posts
That picture wasn't from his monitor.
01:40am 28/03/09 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
3313 posts
I know, but people seem to magically expect consoles with 512MB of RAM total to keep up with PCs that have 512MB embedded on the graphics card. It's not going to happen. Not to mention that plenty of console games are rendering the framebuffer at a lower resolution then scaling up to the output resolution.

last edited by Mantorok at 02:05:30 28/Mar/09
02:01am 28/03/09 Permalink
Midda
Brisbane, Queensland
3376 posts
Have you actually played RE5 or Killzone 2? Show me a PC game that looks as good as those with a solid 60 fps that doesn't require absolute top of the line hardware. Hell, forget the hardware just show me a game that looks as good as those.

Not saying you're wrong, but consoles don't work the same way as PCs.
02:53am 28/03/09 Permalink
whoop
Brisbane, Queensland
13694 posts
^^Yeah, to get my crysis to look like that image up there it runs at about 10fps :(
03:17am 28/03/09 Permalink
Mantorok
Brisbane, Queensland
3314 posts
Midda - I'm saying games like Crysis (which DM already mentioned) look better because they're not limited to hardware from 2005. Of course someone who's seen Crysis maxed out isn't going to be wowed by RE5.
03:27am 28/03/09 Permalink
DM
Gold Coast, Queensland
900 posts
I'm not saying that I expect the PS3 to beat the highest, most hardcore PC in terms of graphics. I'm just saying that games like Killzone 2 are being praised to death about their glorious graphics, some citing they are even better than any PC game out ATM and i'm wanting to know if i'm missing something. They don't look good to me and curious as to if I have some setting turned off. Anyway i've done all I can to work it out and will accept that the graphics are indeed good, but I've seen better and cant work out why everyone is making such a racket over them.

Regardless of all that though, i've not enjoyed RE5 or Killzone 2 anyway. Both were ok games that i'd only finish if I was forced to. RE5 was a watered down copy + paste attempt of RE4 into africa. I'd of given it a 7 at most. As for Killzone 2 well it seems to be the PS3's halo... another game i've never enjoyed or liked so again it'd get a 7 at most
03:28am 28/03/09 Permalink
icewyrm
Brisbane, Queensland
2139 posts
with a solid 60 fps

Haha, because you get that in graphically intensive PS3 or 360 games, suuuure.
07:11am 28/03/09 Permalink
system
Internet
--
07:11am 28/03/09 Permalink
AusGamers Forums
Show: per page
This thread is archived and cannot be replied to.