Cam Lee Inquisition
Dragon Age: Inquisition producer Cameron Lee has become a fixture here at AusGamers. The Aussie ex-pat took tie out of his Gamescom duties to chat with us again. Check it out!
Wrestling Time
We take a look at 2K Games' latest WWE contender and find out just what the game has in store for fans of the wrestling series. Click here for our full preview!
Resident Evil Within
The Evil Within is creeping up just around the release corner, so we decided to take a look back at Shinji Mikami's incredible Resident Evil 4. Click here for more!
fella!
Wrapping up a tour in Australia and with Summerslam dominating August, we had a chance to chat with the Great White himself, Sheamus! Check it out right here!
Post by Eorl @ 03:56pm 03/07/14 | 9 Comments
After starting off as a Kickstarter project almost two years ago, it's hard to believe that the Oculus Rift Virtual Reality headset has now surpassed the 100,000 sale milestone - and this is without a consumer version available to the mass.

Earlier in April, the company announced that it had sold to eager developers just over 60,000 units of the original developer kit, a great feat for the state of virtual reality. Today it revealed that more than 45,000 Development Kit 2 units have been ordered, with shipments of the new version starting this month.

Since the time the product originally launched for developers, Oculus VR has hired a number of high-profile employees, including former Valve VR engineer Atman Binstock, former Halo 4 senior art director Kenneth Scott, and Naughty Dog co-founder Jason Rubin. The company also recently went through the rather public phase of being bought by Facebook for $2 billion, and Oculus VR recently announced plans to acquire the design team that helped create the Xbox 360 controller and Kinect.

ravn0s
Posted 03:58pm 03/7/14
i hope the consumer version isn't too far away.
Net
Posted 04:06pm 03/7/14
Rumors are the consumer version won't be available until some time next year, when it does become available you better hope they can manufacture them fast enough because demand is going to outstrip supply, and there is going to be yet another waiting list.
I ordered my Oculus Rift within 8 hours of them announcing it so I'm hoping I will receive mine sooner rather than later.
Ickus
Posted 05:17pm 03/7/14
I 'hear' even the 1080P which dev kit 2 has isn't enough resolution and you can still see pixels quite well.

Its a definitely step up from the first one, but still needs more improvement.
ph33x
Posted 05:19pm 03/7/14
4K 90Hz will be where it's at for the Oculus. I'm keen as f*** to get one. I was testing a few racing games on SLI + Surround and I've seen a few already support Oculus.

Soon.
demon
Posted 05:30pm 03/7/14
i pre-ordered my dk2 oculus in march... i hope it's not too much longer! :)

1080 will be fine for most stuff i want to use it for. my fpv goggles are currently only 640x480 so the oculus should be quite a step up.
ph33x
Posted 05:54pm 03/7/14
IIRC DK2 was shipping in August. I haven't ordered in fear they will end up with a DK3/Consumer version which is leaps and bounds on DK2 (possible 1440p, even lower persistance, better sensors, etc. Bring on 2015.

fpv goggles are currently only 640x480

I like hardwarez. What you got?
WirlWind
Posted 06:21pm 03/7/14
Kinda wish they'd give some kind of estimate. I ordered one, but they didn't "put a hold" on the rest ($400) so I don't know how long I need to keep all that money sitting in my account doing nothing...

As for the screen-dooring (Ickus - aimed at you) I've heard that the dev kit 2.0 is actually fine.

This was coming from people who owned DK1.0 and got to use the crystal cove whenever it was.
demon
Posted 11:26pm 03/7/14
I like hardwarez. What you got?

i have fat shark attitudes.. i might get the dominator hds when they are released. also keen to try the rifts as fpv goggles as well.
Midda
Posted 01:45pm 05/7/14

I used the 1080p kit at PAX last year. Yeah, you can definitely still see the pixels, but it's nowhere near as distracting as on the original dev kit. I'm still excited to get one.
Nickname
Email Address

If you already have an account, please login here

You need an account to participate on AusGamers.

This form will quickly create one for you - you will just need to confirm your email address by clicking on a link in an email that will get sent to you.

Your comments will be published once your email address has been confirmed.