We take a look at Ubisoft's next iteration in the Far Cry universe to see just what is on offer
Badger Badger Badger - Far Cry 4 Reviewed
We chat with Blizzard RTS veteran Allen Dilling on the past, present and future of StarCraft!
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Developer Interview
The first expansion for Company of Heroes 2 has landed. How does one attack Adrennes Assault? Read our review to find out!
Company of Heroes 2: Adrennes Assault Review
Post by Eorl @ 11:39am 24/06/14 | 34 Comments
Building on from the original launch of Company of Heroes 2, The Western Front Armies is the first Standalone Multiplayer release for the World War strategy title.

This new standalone DLC aims to shift focus back to the Western Front, depicting some of the most brutal fighting of World War II in the darkest days of the conflict.With a number of additions to the game including a brand-new map, the standalone DLC aims to improve upon what made Company of Heroes 2 so great, while at the same time offering a solid piece of DLC for eager players to sink their teeth into.

To help us find out just what The Western Front Armies builds upon from its core game is our own strategy general Nathan "NachosJustice" Lawrence, equipped and ready to charge at the enemy with all means necessary.
Regardless of whether it’s perfectly balanced at launch, Relic has shown its dedication to listening to the community with subsequent updates, and The Western Front Armies is a worthy addition to any multiplayer-loving Company of Heroes 2 player’s war chest.
Read up on his full impressions in the Company of Heroes 2: The Western Front Armies review.

company of heroes 2: the western front armiesrelic entertainmentsegaausgamers review
Buy now from Green Man Gaming for only GBP£14.99 (USD$-1.-1 on Steam)!

d^
Posted 02:06pm 24/6/14
Sick man, can't wait.
infi
Posted 02:09pm 24/6/14
playing right now
nachosjustice
Posted 06:38pm 24/6/14
See you both online!
Trex0321
Posted 06:52pm 24/6/14
is COH2 any good?
Trex0321
Posted 07:00pm 24/6/14
i just checked meta critic, critical acclaim is mostly positive, but ive never seen so many negative user reviews! so the campaign is rubbish, the mp is a lag fest and the game feels like a step backward? guess ill avoid.
midunno
Posted 07:28pm 24/6/14
Well most of those negative reviews come from russians a bit pissed off at the way theyre portrayed.
TiT
Posted 08:15pm 24/6/14
add me on steam: _TiT_ i love this game but i really suck at it!
infi
Posted 08:27pm 24/6/14
I am FartingLoudly on steam if you want a teammate
Viper119
Posted 08:34pm 24/6/14
I really need to get round to playing these.
TiT
Posted 08:52pm 24/6/14
i got your steam infi but i really suck so you probably dont want to play with me
Tollaz0r!
Posted 09:21pm 24/6/14
So how is the matchmaking, does it have short waits and close level matches? or is it full of low vs high level s***?
Tollaz0r!
Posted 09:28pm 24/6/14
Hmm it's a good price for $25 on steam now, but the 2 extra armies are another $20.

Maybe I'll wait until they have a bundled version for maybe $35.
ctd
Posted 09:44pm 24/6/14
purchased. will play tomorrow night or weekend

steam acct = alexctd
IVY_MiKe
Posted 08:08am 25/6/14

Maybe I'll wait until they have a bundled version for maybe $35

If you want to jump in to MP you don't need to buy the original game.
That's the 'real big thing' about this expansion pack release. If you JUST buy Western Front Armies, you can do all the Skirmish/comp-stomp/MP you want (using all of the workshops maps etc).

You won't have access to the original [COH2] teams, nor any of the SP content from the original game.

COH2 is REALLY POORLY pieced together as a purchase (read: Sega got a tight grip on it after Ubi died and almost took the franchise with it). I've bought all the mini-DLC's and commanders (not faceplates or skins or other crap which doesn't influence gameplay) based sheerly on the number of hours I've sunk into it.

For me, the $20 in this expansion was a 'no brainer' as I've already got 200+ hours in the original product (so I figure even at full price for this purchase, it's cheap as chips for the number of extra hours I'll get out of it)
nachosjustice
Posted 09:30am 25/6/14
It's a really steep learning curve, y'all, but I disagree on the naff comments about the campaign. Yes, in retrospect, it did portray the Soviets in a negative/politically bias light, but it works really well as training for the ultimate battle: multiplayer. Then you can go through Theater of War to hone specific tactics, as scenarios range between offensive and defensive, with some situations where you're forced to use units you might not otherwise use. I'd say I'm an average player, but I still won two out of three games with my mate over the weekend.

Communication is paramount, so jump on your favourite voice-chat program and play alongside your mates. It's worth watching those tutorial videos, too (even though it's s*** that they're all videos and not actual training gameplay), to ensure you understand everything. The TrueSight system, for instance, is unbelievably useful and changes the way you approach combat. Couple that with the ability to vault over low cover, and flanking is made so much easier. Micro is paramount, though, so train fighting on multiple fronts against (at least) Hard AI opponents in Skirmish mode.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 10:01am 25/6/14
So if I just buy the 'expansion' armies I can play with them without the other armies (but I can play against them).

What about all these commander DLC's and stuff are they actually gameplay changing DLC?
infi
Posted 10:39am 25/6/14
dont just buy the expansion armies, that's silly.
TiT
Posted 01:37pm 25/6/14
Tollaz0r!
Posted 05:34pm 25/6/14
Well I just bought it from CJS. $17 pretty good price. Maybe I'll wait and see of the extra army DLC comes on special eventually.
TiT
Posted 06:45pm 25/6/14
yeah i am going to try and get more gameplay into this game, i do love it but really suck
Tollaz0r!
Posted 06:47pm 25/6/14
You can join me, we can be like those Commanders that get sent to some remote region to look after leeks because no-one wants to follow our command.
TiT
Posted 06:50pm 25/6/14

sounds good add me on steam posted my username above if i dont already have you
Meddek
Posted 07:52am 26/6/14
CoH2 is $13.00 on steam today I might pick it up looks f***en awesome and infi has racked up 350 hours so it must be good!
Tollaz0r!
Posted 08:24am 26/6/14
Son of a b****! I paid $17 just yesterday. $4 down the drain!
Tollaz0r!
Posted 08:34am 26/6/14
I must say, I'm impressed with the integrated features such as streaming. They really did well with that. Many 'competitive' games could take a lesson or 5 from this game.
nachosjustice
Posted 09:00am 26/6/14
Feel free to add me on Steam, gents, if you want to play online.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 09:27am 26/6/14
I do, however, thoroughly disagree with DLC commanders. I understand DLC armies, that is somewhat fair, but upgrades to purchased armies should not be DLC unless they are cosmetic only.
TiT
Posted 09:52am 26/6/14
whats the digital upgrade?
d^
Posted 03:33pm 27/6/14
So I bought this and yet in the game it shows a buy now option?
ctd
Posted 05:19pm 27/6/14
Yeah probably ignore that.

So can someone give me the cliffnotes on how the mechanics have changed? apparently significantly
plsu they have changed all the gaylord progression systems

AND added a noob lobby match system yay.
infi
Posted 07:00pm 27/6/14
Coh2 all night long tonight.

AusGamers TS lounge 5
Jabroney
Posted 10:59pm 27/6/14
Just when I thought I was out, they drew me back in

But can I still turtle in trenches!!!??!
ctd
Posted 10:59am 28/6/14
trenches...zzzzz
Tollaz0r!
Posted 03:52pm 28/6/14
Played my first online 1v1 battle today, won them both. Playing as Ruskies. 1 truck with a squad of conscription soldiers in the back does well for quick caps and blocking enemy supply.

I killed my enegineers a few times by laying mines at a star capture point, getting attacks and my motor landing on the mine and blowing up everything...
You must be logged in to post a comment. Log in now!