Cam Lee Inquisition
Dragon Age: Inquisition producer Cameron Lee has become a fixture here at AusGamers. The Aussie ex-pat took tie out of his Gamescom duties to chat with us again. Check it out!
Wrestling Time
We take a look at 2K Games' latest WWE contender and find out just what the game has in store for fans of the wrestling series. Click here for our full preview!
Resident Evil Within
The Evil Within is creeping up just around the release corner, so we decided to take a look back at Shinji Mikami's incredible Resident Evil 4. Click here for more!
handsome devil
We took the five winged, five week challenge with Hearthstone's first campaign and walked away less deathrattled than you might think. Read on for more!
Post by Eorl @ 02:07pm 21/06/14 | 11 Comments
Blizzard has today announced that it will expand its in-progress MOBA Heroes of the Storm to other regions following the launch of its next technical alpha stage over the next few weeks.

Heroes of the Storm, an online multiplayer game featuring characters from multiple Blizzard franchises, will be playable for chosen, opted-in players in North America, Europe, Latin America, South East Asia, Australia, and New Zealand during its next stage of development. Afterward, Blizzard will focus on localizing its client in order to expand its testing to Taiwan, Korea, and China.

Those wanting to join the alpha testing for Heroes of the Storm only need to swing by the Battle.net Beta Profile page and follow all on-screen instructions. Oh and you'll probably want to pray to the RNG Gods for a chance at getting in.

Zapo
Posted 02:39pm 21/6/14
Oooh yeah, very very keen to try this out.
Creepy
Posted 03:18am 22/6/14
It'll be nice to have some more players in the mix. I've been playing the hell out of this for the better part of a month, now. :)
Hogfather
Posted 10:07am 22/6/14

You liking it?
Jeffro
Posted 11:28am 22/6/14
Oh and you'll probably want to pray to the RNG Gods for a chance at getting in.

Lol. Would of thought they would open up testing in Korea and China first.
reload!
Posted 12:14pm 22/6/14
I'd say it's much more likely he's been playing the hell out of it for a month because it sucks and he hates it.
Hogfather
Posted 12:49pm 22/6/14

Haha don't be a jerk.

A big criticism of this game is that it may lack depth and long term legs, that it will be a fun diversion for a few weeks tops before everyone just goes back to dotes or LoL.

Maybe I should have been more specific, kind of forgot I was on QGL where everything you say is scrutinized for a free scrote shot.
Posted 12:56pm 22/6/14
I think Blizzard have a pretty good track record for showing they can burn and slash all the useless cruft out of a game without losing the depth. I'm pretty keen for this!
Jeffro
Posted 12:59pm 22/6/14
It looks like fun. I like how it has Warcraft characters.
reload!
Posted 01:51pm 22/6/14
left yourself wide open for that one :)

keen to give it a go because blizzard generally have some good points to their games however given how entrenched I am in dota I'm just likely to be making endless comparisons for disapproval.
Zapo
Posted 02:29pm 22/6/14
I don't know if this game will replace DOTA2 for me, but I'm happy to supplement it. Having a game in 15-20 minutes as opposed to 35 minutes to an hour is a good thing, plus, I'm hoping it play differently enough that there is a reason to play it over DOTA from time to time.
Creepy
Posted 06:03am 23/6/14
I have to start by saying that I am very new to the MOBA genre. While I understand the nature of the game, the terminology, the tactics of MOBAs, HotS is the first time that I've actually played. This is partly because I wanted to be as open-minded as possible when playtesting.

That's actually probably a big problem with the playerbase right now - you're either a Blizzard fan who's never played MOBAs (me), or a diehard MOBA player that has likely sunk many hours into LoL/HoN/DOTA2. The healthy blend of both is likely slim.

Depth is definitely a concern. As each day passes after a patch, there are less and less people online/queuing for games. It has already become a "just on for dailies and quit" type of game for many. This is compounded by the lack of maps (only four for the moment) and the price of heroes (you have to buy heroes, or pick from the five free 'heroes of the week').

Balance isn't too bad. But there are some heroes that are just...well...unfun to play against (hi Murky).

I can't comment on the items vs talents debate since I don't play LoL, but I think I'd like to see the option of re-selecting talents mid-game, even if it costs a penalty. Sometimes you pick talents for a particular tactic, and then things start going south (snowballing is still an issue). There's no way to counter a slide, once it's in effect. Then there's also the occasional misclick of talents that EVERYONE does at least once in a while.

The game is VERY focused on team play (except Murky, sigh), so people will need to know how to work together quickly to gain map control. Meta is still present in the game, but it always comes back to how your team performs in unison. There's no room for individual heroics (and no last hitting, either).

I do enjoy the game, though. I'd love to play with some friends. I'm tired of teaming/partying up with randoms that tend to all suffer from tourettes the minute that things go bad...
Nickname
Email Address

If you already have an account, please login here

You need an account to participate on AusGamers.

This form will quickly create one for you - you will just need to confirm your email address by clicking on a link in an email that will get sent to you.

Your comments will be published once your email address has been confirmed.