Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
Post by Dan @ 09:51am 16/06/14 | 9 Comments
Microsoft occasionally mentions its intentions to do better by PC gamers, but outside of the technical efforts of the DirectX team, has had very little to show for it in recent years, including a complete absence of PC gaming from its presentations at major trade events.

During the recent E3 2014 event, Polygon quizzed Xbox head Phil Spencer on why it is that Microsoft doesn't include any of its Windows PC or Windows Phone videogame undertakings, and here's what he had to say:
I'm head of gaming at Microsoft," Spencer said. "When we're doing gaming strategy, gaming focus inside the company, that's my job. I think in a lot of ways, you could argue gaming on Windows has never been more healthy in that the biggest of the big franchises, League of Legends, World of Tanks, those things dwarf a lot of what we're doing in this console space in terms of users and monetization. They're all on PC."

But that doesn't mean they're necessarily a good fit for E3, he said.

"E3's a retail show," he said. "It's a retail show, it's a console show, so it didn't really feel like the right place for us to talk about Windows, but Windows and gaming on Windows is critical to Microsoft's success."
Spencer went on to explain that esports events seem like a better fit, which is certainly proven correct by the likes of League of Legends and Star Craft 2, but none of Microsoft's self-published PC games have even attempted to cultivated such tournament potential since perhaps Age of Empires 3.

microsoftpcwindows

Lewk
Posted 11:04am 16/6/14
I really hate to say it, but I kinda agree with him. E3 has never really been a PC games show. But also in saying that, would very much like Microsoft to treat us PC gamers better. Where's the Halo Master Chief edition for PC? I've never owned a console, and never will but I'd like to play some of their games. If they brought that to PC I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
Dazhel
Posted 11:24am 16/6/14
Halo Master Chief edition for PC

Oh lordy...

ph33x
Posted 11:26am 16/6/14
Most 'AAA' games at E3's nowdays are running code we don't see on the version we get at home. Crazy ass trees etc.

See that Far Cry 4 footage of all the trees and little twigs and s***? I will eat my own choad if something of that calibre makes it to the PC vanilla version.

Yes, and I'll take a photo of it.
Gung-ho
Posted 12:15pm 16/6/14
I'd rather see a more exciting game market first. The gaming industry feels so stagnant.
Whoop
Posted 05:02pm 16/6/14

Yes, and I'll take a photo of it.
glynd
Posted 07:31pm 16/6/14
trillion
Posted 08:06pm 16/6/14
i think the problem with big studio IP is that they perfect the gaming aspect of the content so much that it approaches the cookie cutter limits with regards to how similar the titles they turn out have become. while meanwhile independent developer groups can publish their innovative puzzler or story concepts that seem all the more interesting than the big budget titles triple a studios ship.

it's become not that dissimilar to the broadcast tv or movie industry format where you just channel surf until you find something that's interesting and zone out to that until the show's over or the format becomes so repetitive that you avoid tuning in.

it's not like gaming should be some kind of long winded BBC social life experiment to check back in with hardcore fans of a certain IP as the industries producers mature and seemingly inevitably guide it in such a manner.

Jeffro
Posted 05:55am 17/6/14
Well I'm happy about it cause I've gamed on my Xbox since day dot. Started gaming on an Atari console switched to Nintendo 64 and Sega Megadrive and then Xbox. I still like to muck around on Windows as well but prefer my Xbox One.
ph33x
Posted 09:50am 17/6/14
^ funny enough, it looks like E3 2012 Watchdogs was actually in game. Modders are currently unlocking a lot of the previous features like the amazing lighting effects and DOF

I read this this morning. While it's good news, it also clearly confirms the hypothesis that 'AAA' games (before they even release, Titanfall/Watchdogs etc) are overdone at E3.

I wouldn't care as much if they just left the f*****g settings in the game settings and not hidden away.
You must be logged in to post a comment. Log in now!