Here it is, AusGamers looks at The Evil Within, and just what you can expect from grandaddy horror creator Shinji Mikami
The Evil Within Review
We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
Post by Eorl @ 04:19pm 29/05/14 | 23 Comments
We all know that green team Nvidia loves to play towards the big GPU spenders, but when CEO Jen-Hsun Huang first revealed the rather ridiculous Nvidia GTX Titan Z at the company's GPU Technology Conference, everyone was blown away not by just its power, but also its lofty price tag of $3,000 USD.

With a dual-Kepler microarchitecture, a total of 5,760 processing cores, and 12GB frame buffer memory, the newest Titan GPU is most definitely aimed at the highest of high-end gamers. According to the original press release from Nvidia way back in March, the Titan Z's twin GPUs are tuned to run at the same clock speed, essentially eliminating performance bottlenecks.

"Unlike traditional dual-GPU cards, Titan Z’s twin GPUs are tuned to run at the same clock speed, and with dynamic power balancing. So neither GPU creates a performance bottleneck. And that performance is delivered in a card that is cool and quiet, rather than hot and loud. Low-profile components and ducted baseplate channels minimize turbulence and improves acoustic quality."

So if you happen to have that sweet pool of cash lying around, Nvidia is now taking orders through a variety of Australian and overseas retailers including Umart and MSY. While American enthusiasts will be paying to the tune of $3,000, Australia will have its RRP at the mark of $3,699. Oh, and here is a flashy video to show off the sweet innards of this beast.

nvidiatitan zgpuhigh-end powersupercomputer

Tollaz0r!
Posted 04:33pm 29/5/14

improves acoustic quality.

Well, Rulez, you have to put one of these bad boys in your computer it seems.

At $3000 they better push through time.
Vash
Posted 04:33pm 29/5/14
overpowered? not for 4k gaming.
Mosfx
Posted 04:44pm 29/5/14
That is insane...
ph33x
Posted 05:03pm 29/5/14
overpowered? not for 4k gaming.

Agree, but only for a single card. If you had a second slot you'd go with 2x GTX 780Ti for about half the cost and have the same performance and higher overheads for clocking. 2 Kingpins would cost almost half of one of these and they can go well into 1500Mhz with good cooling.

Really, for dual card the 295x2 has it all over this card simply because the cost is sooooo much lower. I'm an NV guy and yet I think this is a bit of a laugh.

tldr:
guE9LEj.jpg.
WcHOuzU.jpg.
oupb64w.jpg

Gonna buy 2 of these ones Audi?
Ickus
Posted 05:10pm 29/5/14
Come on nvidia and AMD... release more cards. I want to see more price drops before the end of the year when I expect to buy a new one.
RuleofBooKz
Posted 05:31pm 29/5/14
Ha toll. i have other priorities over funk* off crazy graffix cards. Even for gaming. And this is a really funk off crazy graffix card so hats off to Nvidia.

Ickus +1

Im still rocking that ol 580 and am pushing myself to update that to a 780 (ti?? and ive been on the edge for ages now) but as i haven't got watch dogs yet i cant convince myself of the need to upgrade as i have a 23inch monitor. Every game ive got recently ive been "this one will need more than the ol 580" but nup. Im sure once i get watch dogs its amazing graffix will convince me right? Riiiiight???

*Word changed to keep the google jesus happy
Topper
Posted 05:49pm 29/5/14
WD is pretty unplayable in parts on my 560Ti....so I'd probably hold off buying it if I were you until you upgrade to your 780

In my case though, I'm also running an i5 2400....so that would probably be the other half of my issue as well
Mosfx
Posted 06:30pm 29/5/14
Yeah I can run Watch_Dogs on Ultra with my 650ti
Gung-ho
Posted 06:49pm 29/5/14
What does nVidia mean by "Unlike traditional dual-GPU cards, Titan Z’s twin GPUs are tuned to run at the same clock speed"?

I'm not sure there has ever been a dual-GPU card that didn't have both GPUs running at the same clock speed.
grazer
Posted 06:49pm 29/5/14
My work computer needs one of these to calculate my spreadsheets faster. Of this I am sure.
ph33x
Posted 08:02pm 29/5/14

Yep. Only thing I can think of is the GPU's are both running off the same clock generator chip. This would keep them in sync to a much finer degree.

My cards are weird, one of them likes to sit 15Mhz below the others and I can see the difference in SLI. When I bump it up to match the others the image is much smoother to look at, even of the framerate itself isn't affected.
Ice9ine
Posted 07:41am 30/5/14
If you have a high disposible income and gaming is your hobby or passion, $3k isn't a huge amount over the two years you would use it plus other upgrades. No way would I pay that money for a card as my HD7990 is doing just fine at a fraction of the price but many will. It wasn't that long ago that a high end gaming rig DID cost $5k all up.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 07:52am 30/5/14

$3k isn't a huge amount over the two years

2 years? You're dreaming, that would want to last way longer than 2 years. At $3k that is a good 5 years+.

Pretty much you have two options for omtimal gaming.

Constant 60FPS on a 60hz monitor, or 120fps on a 120hz monitor.

Whilst 120fps is pretty nice, it is significantly cheaper to have a system that plays at a locked 60fps on a 60hz monitor.
beau
Posted 09:00am 30/5/14
Hey Ph33k
What model/brand/variant of GPU's are you running? Whats the clock speeds your getting/temps under load?
Just out of interest.

Yeah but I heard you can't get 780ti kingpins in Australia for some reason?
ph33x
Posted 12:16pm 30/5/14
Hey Ph33k
Just out of interest.

Three-Way EVGA GTX 680 4GB BP Edition. 04G-P4-2686-KR

One of the cards is a little weak and limited at 1188Mhz @ 1.175v - If I run 1.212v I can get 1224Mhz out of it. This is 100% stable at least. Under load they operate at temps between 35-42 degrees and that's once the loop is as warm as it can get. About 25 degrees in the room. I'm running Heatkiller GPU X³ blocks and 2x 560mm Black Ice SR1 rads. Fans at 20%, pump at ~30%. The cooling is overkill but as you can see, it still works quite well and is very silent. :)

Yeah but I heard you can't get 780ti kingpins in Australia for some reason?

You couldn't, originally. I'm not 110%, but I'm fairly (almost) certain you can acquire these through Amazon and they are shipping to aus now. Someone in aus had one on order that I know, but he cancelled due to other technicalities in the order and he decided he cbf Amazon.
beau
Posted 12:28pm 30/5/14
Nice. Just wanted an idea of what you got for reference. I never liked the idea of externally mounted rads but I hear you can get them to pack a punch. U obviously dont move it often
ph33x
Posted 12:51pm 30/5/14
It's on wheels. It goes outside about once a month for a dust out. WC is all about surface area. The more surface area, the lower you can run your fans. :)

MTELvZK.jpg
beau
Posted 12:53pm 30/5/14
Oh jesus thats massive, compared to the 750d which is a monster in itself.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 01:18pm 30/5/14
Is your power supply at the top or bottom of that big tower?
ph33x
Posted 10:14pm 30/5/14
2 up top. The bottom is full of rad, which is rad..

There's a new one out and the back of it has 9RU worth of rack space. Looks mighty niceh, but probably about $1,400 for the case alone once you get it into aus. I saw the case last year but I didn't realise it had rack space on it. Salivating again...
DK
Posted 03:47pm 31/5/14
wholly f*** ph33x. How do you stop all the babes jumping at you
Rdizz
Posted 03:58pm 31/5/14
hahaha DK
Gung-ho
Posted 08:04pm 31/5/14
Actually on the monitor side of things there are a few other considerations:

4K monitor resolution gaming - I don't think this is worth it.
Cross-monitor gaming - cost goes up but also space requirements.
1440p and 1600p resolutions - or if you're feeling very adventurous a 21:9 monitor (I'm mostly referring to the LG UM95 34" (3440 x 1440).
Higher refresh rates: Either go with a regular brand 120Hz monitor or the cheap Korean monitors but also move up to 1440p (this is where I sit: 2560x1440 @ 96Hz and I consider the best option).
Standard 1920x1200/1080 @ 60Hz - if vanilla is all you want.

Regarding GPU pricing - basically the popularity of the Titan reminded nVidia/AMD that they can obtain better profit margins. So the cheaper big price war days of the GTX 600 and HD 7000 series has concluded.
You must be logged in to post a comment. Log in now!