Cam Lee Inquisition
Dragon Age: Inquisition producer Cameron Lee has become a fixture here at AusGamers. The Aussie ex-pat took tie out of his Gamescom duties to chat with us again. Check it out!
Wrestling Time
We take a look at 2K Games' latest WWE contender and find out just what the game has in store for fans of the wrestling series. Click here for our full preview!
Resident Evil Within
The Evil Within is creeping up just around the release corner, so we decided to take a look back at Shinji Mikami's incredible Resident Evil 4. Click here for more!
fella!
Wrapping up a tour in Australia and with Summerslam dominating August, we had a chance to chat with the Great White himself, Sheamus! Check it out right here!
Post by Eorl @ 10:43am 14/05/14 | 17 Comments
With their Open Beta still trucking along as openly possible, WildStar developer Carbine Studios has released a new DevSpeak video offering an overlook at the raiding aspects of their MMO, asking one simple question: Are you hardcore enough?

WildStar's raids consist of 20-40 players throwing themselves at deathly scenarios that will need wits, timing and teamwork to successfully complete. These include "mega bosses" and "hostile environments" that are ready to destroy you in "the most insane raids Nexus has ever known." Scary stuff indeed.

WildStar will be out June 3rd for Windows, though Open Beta is currently underway now until May 19th so jump in and see what the fuss is all about.

deadlyf
Posted 11:11am 14/5/14
I really don't get the hype surrounding this game, I haven't enjoyed it at all. It looks horrible, it plays horrible and the quests are just plain s***.

People say it gets better later on but I wonder if it's more that their expectations have been suitably lowered by that point that it seems much better only by comparison to the steaming pile it is at the start.
Thundercracker
Posted 11:42am 14/5/14
I think it's a reasonable attempt, and I suspect they should do OK out of it, but unfortunately I don't have the time to invest in yet another MMO which is 'OK'. From what I have seen its better than other recent attempts like star wars, elder scrolls and rift.

If I had more time I would probably get involved.
ravn0s
Posted 11:44am 14/5/14
tried to have another go of the game since it's in open beta atm. it wanted me to download the game all over again. f*** that.
Posted 12:10pm 14/5/14
I'm loving it, has me well and truly hooked and unlike almost every other MMO thats come out since WoW, it looks like it actually has some juicy endgame content to sink my teeth into once I get there. Guess it just comes down to personal tastes, but I love how it looks and the art style, I'll take it any day over the bland 'realism' of games like ESO. Love how it plays too, I haven't been so hooked by the combat in an MMO for ages. Yeah the quests can be a bit bland and the lack of VO and stuff makes it feel a bit dated, but theres enough cool and interesting stuff going on that I can stomach the occasional fetch quest or "Kill x of this" quest.

Its not perfect, but I think they've done a pretty amazing job getting it to where it is, I can't remember another MMO that has been packed with so much content and feels so relatively polished at launch as this is. And while facing the challenges of launching a brand new IP to boot. Props to Carbine.
Thundercracker
Posted 12:48pm 14/5/14
Their decision to go with 40 man raiding is a big step backwards. 40 man raiding back in the day was f*****g painful.
Fuzzy
Posted 01:44pm 14/5/14
I agree with Khel, I've been following the game for quite a while, but only just started for the first time duing this beta period. Kill and fetch quests are there, but there is so much to get sidetracked with. Even the art style, which I was a bit iffy about has really grown on me. The only gripe I have with it is the obvious disadvantage we have in PvP due to latency issues.

I agree though that 40 man raids should have been left out. 20 is enough and WoW taught us the pain of going through and getting ready for 40 man raids far outweighs the fun actually running them. I still shudder thinking of getting groups together for AQ40 and Naxx.

Anyway, Are you on Widow Khel? Would it be cool if I can grab a player name off you in case I have some questions or need some advice?
Posted 05:46pm 14/5/14
Yeah, I'm not too sure about 40 man raids either, though I wouldn't mind doing them, I just want absolutely nothing to do with organising them because that'd be a headache and a half.

Nah, all my toons are on Nexus, that was the only server up during closed beta so my characters were already created there before the other servers opened up. I'll be rerolling on an oceanic server at launch though. If you want to add my account though I think you just need a server and a character name, so Zyranth is my engineer and server is Nexus.
Gung-ho
Posted 11:24pm 14/5/14
40 man raids are awesome and I applaud Wildstar for remembering what "massively multiplayer" means.

20 players is where raiding begins and aren't multi-group encounters. Progressing back to larger player fights is also a step in the right direction for guilds feeling like guilds again.
Phandaal
Posted 12:33am 15/5/14
How's the latency?
Posted 06:44am 15/5/14
I haven't had a problem with it but I'm used to playing wow at 200ms anyway and I get the same in wildstar. I haven't pvp'd much but it might be more noticeable there. I guess on the plus side, with an oceanic server, theres a good chance you'll be against other players with the same ping, so maybe not as much of a disadvantage.
Rominion
Posted 09:00am 15/5/14
The latency is terrible, it's almost impossible to win pvp unless you are against another disadvantaged person. Instances/dungeons you don't really notice it to much, but you will occasionally get hit by something you were no where near and in Raids, thats a 1 shot death so yea... Not gonna bother with this one.
LordHelyi
Posted 10:50am 15/5/14
Guy complains about latency and getting hit by something he wasn't near and one hit in raids.
Probably played wow which had the exact same issue.
It's a geographical problem.
TufNuT
Posted 02:27pm 15/5/14

This. As soon as blizzard went all casual with raiding, it all turned to s***. guilds didn't / don't matter anymore and to find a group of people to play with hat aren't a bunch of scrubs all but impossible. f** casual raiding.

perhaps its your ISP?.. though more likely its the fact that the servers are in the US. I haven't had any real lag issues so far, well I did have some problems a few weeks ago but it was a problem with Optus. to be fair I haven't done much pvp either so even though I haven't seen any issues I cant really comment on it...

I think after EA's experience no MMO is going to bother with Australia anymore, why should they? EA tried it with SWTOR and it wasn't worth it.. rightly or wrongly this is exactly how they will look at it. they wont say 'oh SWTOR didn't have much content' no they will say EA lost a crap ton of money by having servers hosted in Australia..
icewyrm
Posted 04:23pm 15/5/14
I kinda doubt the costs of hosting local SWTOR servers were in any way significant to their bottom line - it's more likely just laziness on their part.

Then again if other publishers want to lie and say that cost is the main factor then they'll do so regardless of the facts so I see where you are coming from.

I played the OB a few hours here and there. I've read a few forum posts saying the game really begins at level 25 or 50 or whatever, so I kinda wish I could just skip them all and play whatever the fun stuff is so I could judge it properly. Gotta say it doesn't feel like a game I'd enjoy levelling alts in.
dewb
Posted 04:32pm 15/5/14
couldn't get into this game. Was boring as f***.
Enska
Posted 11:27pm 15/5/14
I've managed to spend much more time with it in the open beta and am finding it to be the game I hoped it would be for me personally. It's deffo got my taste for mmo's going again. and the thought of some old school raiding at end game has me pretty much hooked.
If it delivers that, my life is f***ed :P
Posted 08:31am 16/5/14
Yeah, its just full of moments that keep making me want to play more. Like last night, a group spontaneously formed to kill a world boss, and it was only a 5 man world boss but it took actual strategy and planning. First off we just tried to rush in and faceroll it and got owned (repeatedly) so then we actually paid attention to the mechanics and came up with strategies to beat them and after a few more attempts got the boss down. Might seem like a small thing but it was SO satisfying to actually be challenged like that, but challenged in a way that brought people together to work to overcome it. Like instead of getting s***** that we were wiping and blaming each other, it motivated the group to work together and beat the fight.

I've had the same experience in some of the dungeons too, instead of wiping making people get the s**** with each other, it seems to motivate everyone more to do better, and usually its really apparent what went wrong due to the way the telegraphs work so each time you try you get a bit closer. Its not like you wipe and wipe and wipe and wipe until something clicks and you suddenly kill it, you actually feel like you're genuinely working on it and progressing (well thats how its felt to me anyway). Thats what keeps making me come back for more.

Also tried the 'War of the Wilds' adventure the other night, and its basically like a MOBA with AI controlled heroes on the other side, and you go around capturing towers which then start spawning creeps for your side that make their way to the other teams base. It was pretty fun, and I think Carbine have even said they're thinking about doing a pvp server of it where both sides are player controlled.
Nickname
Email Address

If you already have an account, please login here

You need an account to participate on AusGamers.

This form will quickly create one for you - you will just need to confirm your email address by clicking on a link in an email that will get sent to you.

Your comments will be published once your email address has been confirmed.