beware your nemesis
Blizzard spoke with us recently about what separates the Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition experience over the PC and spoke about platform differences. Click here!
inquiring minds
We chat with friend of the site Cameron Lee about Dragon Age Inquisition's endgame content, theorycrafting, tactical play and much more. Click here for our interview!
welcome to you're doom
AusGamers got a 15-minute live sneak-peek at the totally reimagined Doom at this year's QuakeCon. Read our in-depth first-look impressions right here!
highway to the danger zone
We caught up with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's game director, Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, to talk all things Witcher, monsters and open-world! Click here!
Post by trog @ 08:40am 26/03/14 | 111 Comments
Facebook has just announced they've acquired Oculus Rift for a cool USD$2 billion:
Facebook today announced that it has reached a definitive agreement to acquire Oculus VR, Inc., the leader in immersive virtual reality technology, for a total of approximately $2 billion. This includes $400 million in cash and 23.1 million shares of Facebook common stock (valued at $1.6 billion based on the average closing price of the 20 trading days preceding March 21, 2014 of $69.35 per share). The agreement also provides for an additional $300 million earn-out in cash and stock based on the achievement of certain milestones.
The news mirrored on the Oculus blog, along with an explanation about why they've gone this route:
At first glance, it might not seem obvious why Oculus is partnering with Facebook, a company focused on connecting people, investing in internet access for the world and pushing an open computing platform. But when you consider it more carefully, we’re culturally aligned with a focus on innovating and hiring the best and brightest; we believe communication drives new platforms; we want to contribute to a more open, connected world; and we both see virtual reality as the next step.
This is presumably great news to the founders of Oculus as well as the venture capital companies that have funded it to date - but how this might affect the core mission of Oculus remains to be seen. Mark Zuckerburg's post states that their plans to develop first and foremost for immersive games "won't be changing", so here's hoping they stay on track before going down whatever rabbit holes Facebook are interested in.

Hogfather
Posted 08:43am 26/3/14
This could be s*** :(
Topper
Posted 08:44am 26/3/14
wtf
Spook
Posted 08:47am 26/3/14
facebook in 3d would be AWESOME!!!!!
paveway
Posted 08:50am 26/3/14
now i can facebook stalk uni chicks in 3d yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Shay
Posted 08:57am 26/3/14
What the hell? Guess I'll be buying whatever Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo has to offer.
glynd
Posted 08:59am 26/3/14
image
ph33x
Posted 09:00am 26/3/14
I can't wait to be able to manipulate all those 3D ads using the Oculus Rift.

F***
Topper
Posted 09:04am 26/3/14
image
Eorl
Posted 09:03am 26/3/14
What. That has to be the most random thing ever.
Net
Posted 09:12am 26/3/14
The software side I can understand. But Facebook is a service company, not a goods and hardware company. It doesn't feel right!

But, let's just wait and see what happens. It's a good short-term move, but may prove disastrous long term when Oculus' interests eventually conflict with Facebook's interests and those of it's shareholders.
Nerf Stormborn
Posted 09:12am 26/3/14
I dunno, they have massive amounts of money & (questionable? luck based?) experience backing them now, could prove to be a really good thing if Facebook intends to go all iPhone crazy with it.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 09:17am 26/3/14
First thing I did when I read this was make sure that it was not April 1st.

This is one of the most disappointing pieces of news I've read in a long time.

When I read stuff like this

I can't believe it. How can a massive corporation like Facebook NOT put itself first in this sorts of endeavors. They will make sure that OR does whatever they want it to do for Facebook first, gaming second.

A sad day for VR.

It seems odd that Sony has become the underdog..

Nothing good can come of this.

last edited by Tollaz0r! at 09:17:34 26/Mar/14
Raven
Posted 09:14am 26/3/14
Makes about as much sense as Ben Affleck playing Batman.
Eorl
Posted 09:14am 26/3/14
I can kind of see it working well for mainstream. VR won't become big and accepted throughout the world as a new technology until someone foots the bill and pushes it out to the public, who better than Facebook?
Nerf Stormborn
Posted 09:17am 26/3/14
Gaming is one of facebook's big money makers, keep that in mind.
ph33x
Posted 09:19am 26/3/14
You only need to push a product when it's a piece of s***. The Occulus takeup was always going to be a tad slow, but it's the kind of product that speaks for itself as soon as you put it on. (This will be the same as when a console user sits down on a SteamBox. Same lounge, same TV, but what's that? 1080 over 60hz?

Then again, there is a large group of people in this world that need the help of a multi billion dollar company to tell them what's good.

c2XCnzsDHq-4.png.

Gaming is one of facebook's big money makers, keep that in mind.

Trying to think of a game Facebook has (which they make money off) that was on my mind when I think about the Oculus. Farms, paperboys, jewels.. Nah
Tollaz0r!
Posted 09:18am 26/3/14
Gaming for s***** little games like Bejeweled and FarmVille.
trog
Posted 09:40am 26/3/14
I am not convinced this is a bad thing. Both Carmack and Abrash have talked for years about Snow Crash and the its concept of the Metaverse. Facebook is uniquely positioned to actually pull something like that off and now they've solved one of the major issues.

As long as it doesn't impact Oculus as a general gaming platform (and why would it, they can make a bazillion dollars licensing it or selling it directly for normal games purposes) I think it could be pretty interesting.
Dan
Posted 09:45am 26/3/14
I think it's a terrible development, but not for the same reasons that general facebook-haters are waffling about. I don't think it's a terribly batch match tbh, VR obviously has big potential social applications.

The s***** thing is with OculusVR now being beholden to a lumbering publicly-listed company in general, and how that might negatively impact their ability to continue to nimbly evolve and innovate. They were in a fantastically neutral and respected position in the games industry to be able to set a foundation of standards for VR, fueled by a huge amount of community goodwill and grassroots support, and now they're part of a conglomerate that plenty people love to hate just on principle.

On the flip side, the massive financial injection could really supercharge the launch plans for the Rift and kick things off much bigger and faster than they could have ever done it alone.
Nerf Stormborn
Posted 09:53am 26/3/14
I doubt that facebook cares about the type of game so much as if it's profitable, and VR is well suited to high quality FPS games over stuff like farmville. They don't try to dictate which type of games they make money off of either, they leave that up to 3rd parties to run on their platforms. The Old Republic runs on the same business model as Farmville and manages to be pretty sweet with complexity on par with WoW.

I've actually thought for years that the facebook killer would be VR metaverses, maybe they thought the same thing... Though I figured that the first stage would be a browser based ISO world, where people get free 'property' on a server. It needs to be super fast to load and run reasonably well while allowing massive character customisation - it just so happens that I created an HTML5 engine that does all that. :P
Tollaz0r!
Posted 09:54am 26/3/14
If Facebook pull off a Snow Crash type of deal, then I will accept this. However if they get in the way of VR gaming I will be most upset.

Well, at least it wasn't Microsoft buying them.

last edited by Tollaz0r! at 09:54:10 26/Mar/14
Nerf Stormborn
Posted 10:00am 26/3/14
And I think in this day and age it would be worth mentioning Caprica's V-World in addition to Stephenson's Metaverse. ;)

Rin3Uoe.jpg
Arpey
Posted 10:02am 26/3/14
McDonalds just announced they bought Boeing because giant f*****g planes are the perfect accompaniment to a cheeseburger.
paveway
Posted 10:08am 26/3/14

yeah this was my first thought, i can't see facebook really wanting to do much with this initially except sit back and make money from it - they obviously see the potential for it to go big

but there is never a shortage of doomsdayers when anything like this is posted, 0.1% of a thought before posting could help
bepatient
Posted 10:17am 26/3/14
Wow.

greazy
Posted 10:27am 26/3/14
Notch is a wanker. Who wants to play minecraft on VR?
eski
Posted 10:34am 26/3/14
Gross. Sounds like the Futurama episode where they put on the VR helmets and get molested by giant ads.
Nerf Stormborn
Posted 10:34am 26/3/14
Notch is a wanker. Who wants to play minecraft on VR?

I sort of do, but I think that he is being a wanker here. There's no indication of how facebook intends to go forward with this, could be an entirely separate product, could be sold like a console with a base OS software which they manage, could be anything.
Hogfather
Posted 10:36am 26/3/14

Yeh because a corporate buyout has never resulted in a s*** outcome.

Being on the not-paveway side of an opinion hasn't failed me yet, don't expect it to now.
Lynx
Posted 10:36am 26/3/14
Feeling a bit like this at the moment.

link
paveway
Posted 10:40am 26/3/14
Yeh because a corporate buyout has never resulted in a s*** outcome.

ok hoggy

the first thing fb are going to do is clear all other development of the OR and focus it straight on to FB games

sounds pretty f*****g unlikely
Hogfather
Posted 10:42am 26/3/14
ok hoggy

sounds pretty f*****g unlikely

Did I say that? Where did I say that. I'm f*****g looking hard man. I don't think I said that, or anything remotely like it anywhere, nope.

dc9NwZM.jpg
glynd
Posted 10:46am 26/3/14
Best case scenario, OR is treated like an RnD division and pushed to further VR tech while Facebook gets another team to cherry pick the tech to make their own wearable tech ala Google Glass.

More likely is the engineers will be pulled to work more on "Google Glass" competitor.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 10:48am 26/3/14
Log into Facebook to use your Oculus Rift using retinal identification! Facebook will provide retinal data to 3rd party sources for better targeted marketing data just for you.

Oculus Rift is now known as Foculusbook.

You have died 5 times in this game, tell a friend to come help you and get an instant respawn!
Eorl
Posted 10:52am 26/3/14
I still don't see all the doomsday talk happening. Facebook clearly know how much potential virtual reality has and are cashing in on it now. This is only good news for OR because they can inject that $2B into development and further push the technology to become more mainstream. We are on the verge of a new technology change to how we operate our daily lives, and hopefully this is the step in the right direction as the only alternative is a virtual reality kit tied to a console that can barely hit 60FPS.
paveway
Posted 11:05am 26/3/14
I actually can't even be bothered hoggy
Tollaz0r!
Posted 11:02am 26/3/14
Eorl, the concern is that Facebook will disrupt what was almost a pure gaming direction of the Oculus Rift, by filling it with bloat and junk, like requiring a Facebook Account to use it or other horror stories.

I guess we can only wait and watch, and hope.
Hogfather
Posted 11:12am 26/3/14
all the other panic posters in this thread have already said it for you and you're clearly on the other side of what i said going by your smug post

there are other factors to think about aside from 'ermahgerd corporate take over'

Then maybe you should respond more specifically rather than declaring the entire side of the discussion to lack brain power. You jumped in with an aggressive position pavey, don't cry like a sook because I pulled you up on it and your dumb as bats*** straw man that WAS directed at me.

Most of the posts are jokey, but my problem with the buyout is that history tells us that what we can expect is:

- Probably a product pushed to market faster to ensure early market share dominance. Dare I say it, rushed. Everyone wants the Rift now, but I liked the fact that they were quality-focused.

- Once dominance is gained, closed standards and as much or more investment on defending market share than on innovation. More goddamn tech patent wars. Exclusive deals with one console maker probably. Less indie support and focus probably. Facebook hasn't thrown down 2B other than to own the f*** out of VR for a decade or more.

- The OR will be used to help Facebook. I don't like companies that are in the business of learning as much about me as possible. I don't like Facebook. I wish that the buyout had been a tech firm like NVIDIA, AMD or Intel / IBM whatever. Anything but Facebook. Even Microsoft or Apple.

Which ultimately can only suck.
Posted 11:19am 26/3/14
On the one hand, this makes me think wtf, seems like a really odd fit. But at the same time, Eorl has a point, Occulus needs a big backer if the Rift ever wants to break into truly mainstream. It may seem like everyone knows about it because we live in this little echo chamber of a forum where everyone is a gamer and is reasonable tech savvy, but out in the rest of the world, most people have no idea it exists. Having someone like Facebook behind it gives them the opportunity to really get it out there to the masses.

But yeah, I hope they still let Occulus do its thing without putting too many restraints on them or trying to micro-manage them, because that will just kill what has made them so promising up till this point.
Audi
Posted 11:27am 26/3/14
meh. nVidia are about to anouncing a 1080p per eye VR unit.
Oculus will be the Hyundai of the VR future. Just read their mission statement.

Our Vision

Immersive virtual reality technology that's wearable and affordable.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 11:32am 26/3/14
Oh wait, it would also have been worse if Apple bought it out, how much would that have sucked.

Also, now with Facebook backing it and opening it to a much wider audience would it be a stretch to imagine how in the not-too-distant future VR communications (ie, business meetings) would be a common occurrence.

Seems like such an environment would be greatly benefited by low latency high bandwidth infrastructure...

last edited by Tollaz0r! at 11:32:28 26/Mar/14
ph33x
Posted 11:40am 26/3/14
meh. nVidia are about to anouncing a 1080p per eye VR unit.

Got anything that shows the NLF hardware in the nVidia units are making sharp images yet? Last I heard about this stuff was 8-9 months ago and hardly anything since. They also weren't enclosed from the images I saw.

Gc0wNfF.jpg

Btw, oculus is 1080p as well.
cherocha
Posted 11:42am 26/3/14

But with what compromises?

Oculus VR were entirely focused on developing and refining a certain product. Now they're going to be at the beck and call of a company that is entirely focused on maximising profits. Worse than that, a company with a questionable record when it comes to consumer privacy and ethicality. Do you really believe Facebook are going to just sit back and let Oculus VR do it's thing?
Eorl
Posted 11:54am 26/3/14
Virtual reality was never going to be confined to just gaming, and thinking like that was the biggest restraint on the technology. Now that we have a very mainstream company focusing their eyes on the product, we will actually be able to see if it will really sink or swim in the mainstream world.

Virtual reality really has the potential to be a game changer just like computers were, if in the right hands. I have a feeling the Oculus Rift team are smarter than we think, and clearly know what the go is with this acquisition. To have $2 billion injected into your project is insane, and only good things could come out of that when you consider what they've done so far with the grass roots campaign.

Yeah sure, there are potential risks that Facebook may push it into another direction besides gaming, but isn't that the purpose of this technology? You can't just have it fill one (really great) niche, because it just won't float. It needs to be widely acceptable and it needs to be mainstream. I doubt the people behind Facebook aren't smart enough to see the potential of this investment, and they most likely know that pissing off the original userbase would do more harm than good so I'd say give it time, see how things go.

Honestly though, this to me is great news. We will finally see virtual reality be taken as a real thing, and not a gimmick. I can not wait to see what this new technology has in store for the world, and to think I'm going to actually be alive for it is insane.
carson
Posted 11:55am 26/3/14
It's totally random news and didn't expect it when I got home from uni. I'll hold judgement till we see where this goes. Could be good, could be bad.

Notch is a wanker. Who wants to play minecraft on VR?

Notch is so far up his own arse it's incredible. I'm surprised he can even function with his head lodged between all that s***.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 12:08pm 26/3/14
As it stands, surely this news leaves a big opening for Sony to step in for some PR magic.
HERMITech
Posted 12:09pm 26/3/14
"I awoke and felt a great disturbance, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."
Eorl
Posted 12:11pm 26/3/14

Unless they announce PC support, nothing they say will likely hit big. We just don't know how well their VR will go with it being tied to the PlayStation 4, and whether dev support is truly going to be there. I'd hope to be proven wrong, as the system is quite remarkable with what few games we have right now (namely inFamous and MGSV) but who knows what the future holds.
ph33x
Posted 12:14pm 26/3/14
Speaking of which, I like how the PS4 controllers work on a Windows PC without drivers - but not the Microsoft xbone controllers.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 12:17pm 26/3/14
I suppose to prove a point, ABC News are reported on Facebook buying Oculus.
Audi
Posted 12:23pm 26/3/14

Btw, oculus is 1080p as well.

The Rift is not 1920x1080 per eye.
ph33x
Posted 12:26pm 26/3/14
The Rift is not 1920x1080 per eye.

Hmph, well then. You should be more specific. Hmph. *Swirls wine*

(As long as you realise the underlying tech behind nVidias offering is visually blurry.)
Audi
Posted 12:35pm 26/3/14
It's the calm before the storm Ph33x. nVidia haven't talked about their VR project openly for nearly a year.
copuis
Posted 12:46pm 26/3/14
minecraft, as with any first person viewed game would be right up this alley imo, the question is why faceybook has gotten into this market?

I personally would love a set of VR goggles, with head tracking, it would make some of the flight sims so much better, and would required less in desk space (a mate has some vr goggles with jerry rigged head tracking, and of falcon 4.0 it was truly great,
parabol
Posted 02:07pm 26/3/14
Oculus raised almost $2.5M from the Kickstarter, then got some venture capitalists involved for an additional $100M or so of investment. Given by that stage that had enough money for years of development, this is nothing more than a sell-out by the core staff / devs and a cash-in for the investors (cashing in later is the whole point of investment, so that part is not surprising).

They obviously have a right to do what they want with their company / tech, but it's also fair for the community and indie devs to feel like they've been kicked in the balls with the bait and switch on a seemingly community-oriented project / product.

Luckily Valve has been doing their own VR work, and hopefully this might push them to decide to make a product out of it, rather than doing just pure research.
Who wants to play minecraft on VR?

There's already an unofficial minecraft port for VR and it's actually pretty solid and surprisingly immersive. Combine it with the Razer Hydra and you can go around physically air-axing away at resources.
ravn0s
Posted 01:58pm 26/3/14
carmack now works for facebook...
TufNuT
Posted 02:04pm 26/3/14
sigh.. well wont be buying one anymore..
Eorl
Posted 02:53pm 26/3/14
I don't really see a change in their attitude Parabol, they still have the DK2 scheduled for release, and are still planning on releasing a consumer product. All I see is Facebook now opening that doorway up to the mainstream audience, and to further investigate other platforms besides gaming.
parabol
Posted 03:12pm 26/3/14

I have no doubt about that, but I believe people / devs were wanting to invest in their system in the long-term - past CV1 (the first consumer version).

If Facebook owns Oculus, and Oculus owns Facebook stock, then you can be assured future decisions will be heavily influenced by the way Facebook wants to go, as the Oculus guys have their fate interwined with theirs. So far Facebook exists for data mining, advertising, and hence eroding your privacy / selling you as a product. Until their core business model changes, I will remain skeptical about any positive aspects of this purchase.
Hogfather
Posted 03:15pm 26/3/14

Zuckerberg's post:

Immersive gaming will be the first, and Oculus already has big plans here that won't be changing and we hope to accelerate. The Rift is highly anticipated by the gaming community, and there's a lot of interest from developers in building for this platform. We're going to focus on helping Oculus build out their product and develop partnerships to support more games. Oculus will continue operating independently within Facebook to achieve this.

But this is just the start. After games, we're going to make Oculus a platform for many other experiences. Imagine enjoying a court side seat at a game, studying in a classroom of students and teachers all over the world or consulting with a doctor face-to-face -- just by putting on goggles in your home.

Reserving judgement. Don't like Facebook.

Taipan
Posted 03:16pm 26/3/14
I really dont see how this could be a good thing. What does facebook bring to the party except of great wads of cash? Do they have any kind of vision for the market this product was aimed at?
paveway
Posted 03:19pm 26/3/14
THIS IS THE WORST THING EVAR

ERMAHGERD
BroolStoryCo
Posted 03:52pm 26/3/14
Facebook has reached a plateau, so Facebook the company needs to follow new growth paths and the best way to achieve that is to buy up companies that have growth potential for the company.

I doubt OR will have anything to do with the facebook service it's self.

All that being said, i would never buy Facebook shares. The company isn't transparent in their plans and they seem to go out on a whim with things. Most of the people invested in Facebook are mum and dad types who think they are trendy by investing in "da big tech stocks of the future"
infi
Posted 03:54pm 26/3/14
What a waste of money. Luckily they have a lot of money to waste.
IVY_MiKe
Posted 03:57pm 26/3/14
carmack now works for facebook...

THIS.
I couldn't care less about FB, but so long as Carmack is tied to them...

I can only hope that Occulus sorta retains its drive for research and goes on to feed other companies (esp in standardisation) hardware development...

Notch is a wanker. Who wants to play minecraft on VR?

No need for you lads to get your nose out of joint, Twitter is the 21st century's version of a soap box... Let him spout (Isn't that what everyone else in here is doing?)

I can't help but agree on the 'creep me out' front; seems an appropriate time/place to post this food for thought:
RuleofBooKz
Posted 03:57pm 26/3/14
I also do not like FriendFace. The whole "social media" as just hungry mouths to slurp down crappy browser games and advertising is not a good direction, nor advancement, for the internet as a whole.

Signed,

forum user

But it could just be some savvy business maneuvering by Zuckerberg to get in early on the next big thing to happen to gaming (and from what i can see the rift shaping up to be id say he is investing wisely)

OR

Some crappy move by Zuckerberg to get in early on the next big thing to happen to gaming and completely ruin it because "facebook".

Only. Time. Will. Tell.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 04:01pm 26/3/14
Read the following on Penny-Arcade forums and kind of agree:

Call me ridiculous if you want, call me a celebrity worshiper if you want, but I'm kind looking at Carmack as the canary in the coal mine.

If he leaves the oculus team shortly after this news, it's done.

ph33x
Posted 04:29pm 26/3/14
Read the following on Penny-Arcade forums and kind of agree:

Agree. John Carmack isn't just a game engine designer.

He learnt how light works, diffusion, scattering, reflections, etc. Watch a youtube video where he flies into a rant and you can tell the guy just ooooooozzzes knowledge. The next level of 'tech head' above Carmack would be CPU/GPU designers, in my book.

He became bored so he started a darn rocket company on the side. (Dat whole rocket science thing)

He's very familiar with rendering methods, low level hardware - even when he wanted Doom to be multiplayer he sat down and read up on the entire IPX network stack to work out how to best implement it into a game.

His track record shows all his decisions are based on much research, and rarely ends up making a dumb one.

But, he's not a businessman. Early on, he didn't care too much about money - he just wanted to make game engines and let everyone else do all that crap. (Mind you, he did have money - from what I recall he had a heavily modified 1000hp turbo Ferrari and didn't like the new office because he doesn't get to take the old off-ramp at 180mph. :(
eski
Posted 04:46pm 26/3/14
Most acquisitions state in the contracts that major staff have to stay on for 2-3 years, as they represent a significant chunk of the value of the company been acquired.
WirlWind
Posted 05:16pm 26/3/14
Honestly though, I have to say I have a level of cautious optimism.

I REALLY doubt that they would have agreed to this without a high level of autonomy.

I doubt FB will have anything to do with them beyond accepting the monthly profit cheque and maybe stepping in if they started losing money somehow.

But hey, the internet and their pitchforks.
Posted 05:25pm 26/3/14
Luckily Valve has been doing their own VR work

Are they though? Or is this just more 'half life 3 confirmed' style conjecture? Because the reason Occulus Rift is even a thing was because Valve shut down its VR research and the team who was doing it went and started Occulus and Valve let them take the work with them. Seems odd they'd do that, and then flip 180 and start all over again on their own VR.
parabol
Posted 05:35pm 26/3/14
are they though? Or is this just more 'half life 3 confirmed' style conjecture?

As in go watch Michael Abrash's VR talk from a couple of months ago ... (it's incredibly interesting).
Eorl
Posted 05:44pm 26/3/14
Valve demonstrated an example of where they believe VR to be in the future at the Steam Dev Days, but so far haven't said whether they will be offering their own version any time soon. I do recall there being some ex-Valve employees who worked on the VR side of things that departed Valve to create a company revolving around that tech, but I don't think there has been word on their progress recently.
greazy
Posted 05:51pm 26/3/14
Calling it now VR is nothing more than a gimmick similar to "3D" TVs. Augmented Reality is the way of the future but not for gaming, more of real life usability.
ph33x
Posted 06:04pm 26/3/14
Are they though?

Lots of companies are, but none have been as public and tangeable with open development than the Oculus.
Hogfather
Posted 06:06pm 26/3/14

Have you ever used the Rift?

I did at PAX briefly. It was utterly amazing, even at 720p it was leagues ahead of the old VR s*** you used to get at TimeZone.
IVY_MiKe
Posted 06:07pm 26/3/14
... I'm kind looking at Carmack as the canary in the coal mine.

Best analogy yet.
parabol
Posted 06:14pm 26/3/14
Calling it now VR is nothing more than a gimmick similar to "3D" TVs.

mate, do you even rift ...
Eorl
Posted 07:03pm 26/3/14
I feel like we should get some of you guys in to try out the dev kit, it really puts things into perspective on where virtual reality can go.
Trauma
Posted 07:12pm 26/3/14
Sold it to an advertising company........ then has the audacity to say it will be a good thing for gamers.
koopz
Posted 07:46pm 26/3/14

we both know someone just bought some IP

The s***** thing is with OculusVR...

was the vid lag...

the dedicated hardware peripheral audience of any genre is dwindling because you guys bulls*** as you do.

no wonder our kids buy everything tech online instead of 'supporting' brick'n'mortars

last edited by koopz at 19:46:44 26/Mar/14
fpot
Posted 07:46pm 26/3/14
Me please! :D
parabol
Posted 07:50pm 26/3/14
Happy to bring my dev kit along to a meet-up.

Should get in on some 4-play Quake or something. However I suspect most people will just be looking around as though they are on an acid trip, instead of shooting ...
ravn0s
Posted 09:54pm 26/3/14
conference call of the acquisition

koopz
Posted 09:57pm 26/3/14
well..

that escalated fast..

// dumb nuts
Crakaveli
Posted 10:25pm 26/3/14
I'll bring the acid
Whoop
Posted 10:27pm 26/3/14
First thing I did when I read this was make sure that it was not April 1st.

This is one of the most disappointing pieces of news I've read in a long time.

When I read stuff like this

A sad day for VR.

It seems odd that Sony has become the underdog..

Nothing good can come of this.

last edited by Tollaz0r! at 09:17:34 26/Mar/14

Because adverts in major games? Why wouldn't you focus your entire efforts on getting this device into the hands of your target audiences so you can spam them with adverts and charges for premium content?
TicMan
Posted 11:22pm 26/3/14
Easy solution for Facebook to come up with something to compete with Google Glass IMO.
Whoop
Posted 11:23pm 26/3/14
Not really sure walking around with a glorified monocle can be compared to walking around with a tv screen stuck to your face.
ph33x
Posted 12:05am 27/3/14
I'll bring the acid
JpQdarG.jpg
Rominion
Posted 03:14am 27/3/14
How many of you have actually used OR? Honestly its terrible. I think it was in there best interest to sell to FB. The motion sickness alone was a massive turn off for me, yet alone anything else.
trog
Posted 03:21am 27/3/14
The ex-Valve team is called castAR and they were at GDC last week, though not demoing. They spoke to engadget about their progress (I only know this happened because I happened to be sitting across from the engadget writer that wrote that article while in the GDC press room and overheard her talking to colleagues about it).
I don't know anyone who has used the OR who has said that or anything like it; if you got motion sickness then that is almost certainly the cause - you're in the unfortunate minority that is susceptible to motion sickness when using a device like that.

The good news is they've been working to fix that through lower latency & better technology, so the chances are good that the final version will not cause those issues for you.
Spook
Posted 06:41am 27/3/14
my facebook is down this morning. if its anything to do with your oculus nuts ddosing my beloved facebook, im going to be extremely cranky.
WirlWind
Posted 12:45pm 27/3/14
Rominion - That was the first kit and it shipped with lots of issues.

Pretty much everything has been fixed with the new version, so unless you have a mental bias going into it, it shouldn't make you sick.
Hogfather
Posted 02:04pm 27/3/14
Shamelessly ripped from a reddit comment, but it sums up the vibe of the thing for me:
I don't think it's Facebook per se that people hate. I think it's what Facebook represents: the net's evolution into an ad-pushing and mass surveillance network dominated by a few walled gardens. FB also represents our best and brightest minds working on pushing ads instead of things that are actually cool or important.

Oculus was cool. It wasn't going to cure AIDS or solve our energy problems, but it was innovative and represented the realization of some age-old 90's technology dreams around things like VR. Then it gets gobbled up by a company that represents the antithesis of all that optimism-- a company whose business model revolves around banal s*** and pushing annoying advertisements.
Trauma
Posted 11:00pm 27/3/14
That's pretty much it Hoggy, I see no way that Oculus reaches it's full potential now. Heres to hoping some real competition shows up. Looking at you Valve.
baz
Posted 11:36pm 27/3/14
I have never used Facebook so I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other.
Nerf Stormborn
Posted 11:49pm 27/3/14
Google works on pushing ads but they did good things with Android.
Eorl
Posted 12:15am 28/3/14
Its already reached its "full potential" by offering dev kit 2 to anyone who ponies up the cash. It is based on the Crystal Cove technology, is 1080p, lower latency, higher quality screens and better headset design for comfort. The more "consumer friendly" product down-the-line will simply be a shinier looking device with more convex design similar to their mockups. I don't see how Oculus Rift hasn't delivered on their promise, its all there available for anyone to jump into.

Honestly, this announcement won't stop anything in the near future, and it definitely won't stop the technology growing. We've already seen the effect OR has had on the virtual reality space with their 720p version, it has sparked huge discussions and changed a lot of people's thoughts on where this technology is right now. Seriously, just trying the headset will really open your mind as to what this device can do, even if its limited in spec.
trog
Posted 03:19am 28/3/14
Facebook engineers continue to do a lot of stuff and release it as open source or under permissive licenses. They just released Hack, based off their other OSS project for PHP, HHVM/hiphop. They launched OpenCompute. And they have a bunch of other stuff.

I especially like how there's stacks of invective against Facebook about this move that I'm reading - on Facebook. I f*****g love using Facebook (especially now) to keep in touch with F&F, and I bet 99% of the people that are railing against this are rabid Facebook users as well.

S*** I even went to the extreme lengths of uninstalling the FB app from my phone because I was unhappy with new permissions it wanted - and the OR thing doesn't faze me.

I take the point that perhaps it's not optimal because of some weird vague undefined generic sense of "Facebook creepiness" but a) f*** me, it's way too early to tell b) having more resources I think is a good thing c) they're not going to put Like buttons all over the walls in FPS games and d) this is IMO a much better outcome than Sony or Microsoft buying it.
WirlWind
Posted 08:12am 28/3/14
I have to say that while my initial thoughts (mid-class) was to raise both arms and shout KHAAAAAAAN!!!!, when I sat down and had a few seconds of thought about it, from what we know and can fairly assume, it's pretty much nothing but a good thing.

Again, I bring up the point that these guys wouldn't have gone with FB if they weren't allowed to follow their ideals and goals. The fact that they invited the FB execs down and discussed it out makes me think that F*****berg probably feels this technology has some long legs and I really doubt he'd want to f*** with it.

On top of that, they now have access to facilities that they may not have had before (better and greater production and distribution for ex).

All this "adding thumbs up" s*** is something for the SOFTWARE to sort out, not the hardware. The hardware will be put out and it's then up to the programmers to do what they want to support it. The guys at FB aren't dumb enough to think that pissing in the cheerios of the current user / fan base of the rift is a smart idea with a fledgling technology and multiple murmurs of other companies with rival tech.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 11:07am 28/3/14
Well Facebook may as well complete the system and a Brain-computer interface type thing:

link

And hook us all in.
HERMITech
Posted 05:23pm 28/3/14
Toll,
I'd prefer to opt for more of a biological interface, like thus.

trog
Posted 02:50am 29/3/14
^ ahhaah
Audi
Posted 11:28am 31/3/14
Check out this to see an example of the different VR resolutions.

ph33x
Posted 12:00pm 31/3/14
Check out this to see an example of the different VR resolutions.

Thought you didn't care about the Rift?
Audi
Posted 09:32pm 31/3/14
Nah, never said that. I like all forms of 3d, even the most crude. It was you that wanted to play 2d on a VR system, right?
ph33x
Posted 04:03pm 01/4/14

You said you weren't going to buy one. You've also used failed quips like 'Enjoy your rift guys' during discussions about FB buying Oculus. It's clear you don't care - or you do but you like being dramatic.

However, since you've already mistakenly compared Oculus 3D to the crude Active Shutter 3D found on computer monitors, I'm uncertain by the true definition your question and therefore can't answer it.

How are those 3D bezels working out? kakakkeke.
Audi
Posted 06:09pm 01/4/14
I saw something that I thought was interesting and would be of interest to others so I posted it.
Stop trying to over analyse everything.

Please link to post where I compare active shutters to VR.
You must be logged in to post a comment. Log in now!