Cam Lee Inquisition
Dragon Age: Inquisition producer Cameron Lee has become a fixture here at AusGamers. The Aussie ex-pat took tie out of his Gamescom duties to chat with us again. Check it out!
couch slayer
Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition is now upon us, but it might as well be called "definitive edition". Read our review to find out why - click here!
Resident Evil Within
The Evil Within is creeping up just around the release corner, so we decided to take a look back at Shinji Mikami's incredible Resident Evil 4. Click here for more!
fella!
Wrapping up a tour in Australia and with Summerslam dominating August, we had a chance to chat with the Great White himself, Sheamus! Check it out right here!
Post by Eorl @ 12:00pm 20/03/14 | 7 Comments
Valve's feature-length documentary Free to Play has now been released to the public, offering a look behind the scenes at the recent surge of eSports, in particular Valve's Dota 2 MOBA.
REE TO PLAY is a feature-length documentary that follows three professional gamers from around the world as they compete for a million dollar prize in the first Dota 2 International Tournament. In recent years, E Sports has surged in popularity to become one of the most widely-practiced forms of competitive sport today. A million dollar tournament changed the landscape of the gaming world and for those elite players at the top of their craft, nothing would ever be the same again. Produced by Valve, the film documents the challenges and sacrifices required of players to compete at the highest level.
You can download it in HD from Steam for free right here, or watch it directly below. If you’d like to support the players featured in the movie, you can also buy the Competitor’s Pack at the above link and get some in-game goodies as usual.

trog
Posted 05:47pm 20/3/14
One other thing I'd add before I'll say any more - it's funny how much I think this scene hasn't really changed. I remember handing out thousands of dollars in prizes to CS winners at QGLs back in the day. Sure, the prize pool has changed - $1m is pretty decent scratch - but all the challenges are still the same, the ecosystem is still similar, and ultimately whether or not the game is going to be there tomorrow is still a big factor.
reload!
Posted 05:59pm 20/3/14
one area in which I think dota really stands out is the spectator appeal. especially compared to fps games, but even something like starcraft, there is just so much going on at any one time and the potential for a single player to make a huge game changing play. the way 5 people work together in a dota match in creative and exciting ways to beat out an opposition trying to do the same is, imo, really unique even compared to other team based e-sports.
trog
Posted 06:09pm 20/3/14
See I have almost the opposite opinion - I am a pretty avid dota 2 player but I am staggeringly uninterested in watching it. Even the clips from Free to Play I found hard to follow and boring because they are mostly out of context of the rest of the game. I agree with everything you said - the 5 player teamplay is rad and different in every single game. But for me it's boring as s*** to watch.
TiT
Posted 06:19pm 20/3/14
I am not really into e-sports because i would rather play then watch, this is also included in normal sport. But really enjoyed watching the International last year. I found it was very well streamed and the games were fun to watch. especially finals.
carson
Posted 07:04pm 20/3/14

I was like that, but I got in to it around TI2. It's all about the casters in my opinion. They make or break a game.

I think Dota2 is going to be around for a while. Valve are going to be very aggressively supporting it for some time to come. Which is good. I can't say much for other esports as dota is the only one I follow, but they have some amazing personalities that I hope stick around for some more time to come.
RuleofBooKz
Posted 07:41pm 20/3/14
yeah ive been seeing this pimped on steam for awhile but haven't been interested enough to click on it t to find out whats up. So this is what it is ;)

ive played comps (for fun) in clans etc and i dont mind watching some peoples vids. Like lets plays or even just game footage of cool stuff they do in game. Not often tho. But competitive e-sports? Im a bit meh on the whole thing. I might watch this to see if i can see what the fuss is.
Nickname
Email Address

If you already have an account, please login here

You need an account to participate on AusGamers.

This form will quickly create one for you - you will just need to confirm your email address by clicking on a link in an email that will get sent to you.

Your comments will be published once your email address has been confirmed.