shark week, all week
Depth is one of the best games you may have never heard of, and we've gone hands-on with it and had a chance to chat to the team behind it. Check out both features!
inquiring minds
We chat with friend of the site Cameron Lee about Dragon Age Inquisition's endgame content, theorycrafting, tactical play and much more. Click here for our interview!
welcome to you're doom
AusGamers got a 15-minute live sneak-peek at the totally reimagined Doom at this year's QuakeCon. Read our in-depth first-look impressions right here!
highway to the danger zone
We caught up with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's game director, Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, to talk all things Witcher, monsters and open-world! Click here!
Post by Eorl @ 03:26pm 11/03/14 | 55 Comments
After showing the world that the hardcore RPG genre isn't entirely dead with both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls successfully hitting big, From Software's sequel to the hit 2011 RPG is finally on our console doorsteps (sadly PC players will have to wait until April). With the promise of new adventures and further ways to watch your character die miserably, Dark Souls 2 is one RPG you don't want to miss out on.

Helping us seek out redemption is our newest contributor Jeremy “Junglist” Ray, who you may know as the crazy man that successfully beat the original Dark Souls without levelling up. That's definitely a worthy qualification for reviewing From Software's sequel, Dark Souls 2.
Dark Souls 2 isn’t for everyone, or even every moment. It’s a “sit forward” game that demands you be mentally present and adaptable. But for those who like to earn their victories -- really earn them -- this is a game in which winning means something more than “I went through the motions and witnessed the end”.
Read on for Junglist's full review on Dark Souls 2 and his impressions.

Buy now from Green Man Gaming for only GBP£39.99 (USD$71.99 on Steam)!

fryzeegunner
Posted 04:28pm 11/3/14
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Posted 05:23pm 11/3/14
Enemies disappearing after a few deaths to make your job easier is not very “Dark Souls”

wtf - not sure if serious

other than that, sounds awesome - the crafting bit i'm kind of not against to be honest, working out the crafting system in dark souls without a wiki guide would take so f*****g long it would be ridiculous so i am not against streamlining that bit

so Mr Junglist if you are reading this, your opinion - is the game set before or after the events of Dark Souls ?
Hotcakes
Posted 07:26pm 11/3/14
Everything apart from what paveway quoted seems fine to me. Glad I preordered now.

I was a bit wary before. Seeing Jung of all people give it a 9.6 eases my heart considerably.
Hotcakes
Posted 09:00pm 11/3/14
Why is the metacritic review under the PS3 section not the 360 section?
Ray
Posted 11:18pm 11/3/14
Cheers Hotcakes :)

To answer you Paveway, and for those who don't want to know anything about the lore until they play, don't read on...

It's definitely after. Lordran is the stuff of legend to the people of Drangleic, to the point where they can't even remember the relevant names. I think a lot of people will be obsessing over the connections to Lordran, and they are definitely there, but I actually enjoyed the new pieces of lore the best, they felt the most imaginative.
Viper119
Posted 11:54pm 11/3/14
Should I play and finish Dark Souls before playing this? (I got Dark Souls in a steam sale a while back).
Junglist
Posted 12:37am 12/3/14
IMO it wouldn't matter Viper, I'd say you can play Dark, Dark 2 and Demon's in any order. They all have their different strengths, and there's absolutely no essential lore from Dark you need to make Dark 2 make sense. It might seem like it doesn't make sense at first, but that's just the understated nature of it :P
carson
Posted 06:49am 12/3/14
I can't even finished Dark Souls. I just hit a wall and feel like I need to grind way too much to get anywhere. I just don't get the hype about this game. I like challenging games, but it's almost ridiculous how hard it gets when you have to keep going past the same bit again and again and again because you die.
Posted 08:25am 12/3/14
Haha^

He mad

carson bro where do you get stuck? there really isn't any need to grind in dark souls unless you want to farm souls or crafting materials or something
Bah
Posted 09:32am 12/3/14
This is the reason i stopped playing ds2, up until the fat c***/thin c*** fight i was going alright, but that fight was hard, there were hard c**** in the room before the fight and it was a 10 minute walk from the last bonfire, so i just cbf, all three of those things together just created annoyance, rather than the challenge of working out how to beat the bosses.

To preempt paveway, it was more of a "meh quit" than a rage quit.
Posted 09:48am 12/3/14
well if you wanted to even the fight up you could have summoned someone to help you

there is also a NPC summon on the steps before it if you didn't want someone over powered making the boss too easy
shody
Posted 10:19am 12/3/14
I loved Dark Souls, and thought I would be all over Dark Souls 2, but I'm really struggling to get excited about it.
Posted 10:31am 12/3/14
this has only increased my excitement levels:

those bosses look badass
carson
Posted 11:01am 12/3/14
Haha^

He mad

Not really mad. I just don't know how to progress. I got to the jungle area past the hydra. I just hit a brick wall. I might've actually returned to the aslyum. I can't remember. Like Bah, I got to the point where it was just not enjoyable any more.

Maybe I'll give it another shot. I hated that GFWL make the MP totally s***. I couldn't get the coop to work and never had anyone invade, so I missed that entire part of the game. Maybe I'll grab DS2 when it's on sale if I don't need to finish number 1.
Posted 11:14am 12/3/14
oh yeah you need to work you way along the cliff (safest way) and there is a bridge across that leads to Sif the great grey wolf boss fight

so you beat the hydra follow the edge along the water and go up the ladder and then across the little bridge and you are at the forest and those cray spinning armadillo things come at you, kill those and then just go straight forward until you come to the edge of the cliff and then turn left and follow that along until you get to the long bridge

be careful if you do get the multiplayer going because that forest is a haven for invaders, that forest is the home of the forest hunter covenant who protect that forest and just c**** in general like to invade there so i try and keep my time there limited

that forest isn't an integral part of the game it's more an optional area if you want to join that covenant

Sif:
Great_Grey_Wolf_Sif_01.png
Spook
Posted 01:03pm 12/3/14
calm down bro, you gonna mess on your keyboard
Hogfather
Posted 01:43pm 12/3/14
Hes kinda spooging about this game
Posted 02:13pm 12/3/14
it sound like you guys are scared of this game
Hogfather
Posted 02:56pm 12/3/14
Does it really? O_o
Posted 03:03pm 12/3/14
yeah spook's got all kinds of excuses flying for why he hasn't got stuck into dark souls yet

bit scared i suspect
Spook
Posted 03:06pm 12/3/14
beat the first boss, easy as, even with a defective joypad.

just ordered anohter joypad, its turned up and is defective also.

not sure why dark souls cant implement an auto camera?!?!?!

also unsure why my $7 from ebay controller is causing me so many dramas
Tollaz0r!
Posted 03:11pm 12/3/14
I tried playing the PC Port of Dark Souls and the controls were terrible, I instantly regretted it.

Hopefully Dark Souls 2 brings it home on PC this time.
Spook
Posted 03:22pm 12/3/14
yer, im playing the pc port. you need a joypad with 2 working analogue sticks and a heap of shoulder buttans else its pretty much unplayable
Posted 07:19pm 13/3/14
Fired up game, get into the very first area when you take control and i start running around checking the controls, run off the edge of a cliff while straifing........ you died
Bah
Posted 08:46pm 13/3/14
Better load up gamefaqs to find out how not to do that.
fryzeegunner
Posted 01:08am 14/3/14
best game.

Spoilers:

how good was it when you fight sif after doing the dlc. And there's that little bit extra in the fight cutscene. Thought it was brilliant.
DM
Posted 03:24am 14/3/14
Didn't realise that this was out. Will have to pick it up at some point since I'm a huge fan of the last 2 games. Also enjoy this...

Ice9ine
Posted 01:31pm 14/3/14
Completely loving Dark Souls 2. I even find the PS3 graphics very fitting, almost in a nostalgic sort of way. It's all about atmosphere and gameplay for me in this series. A very worthy addition to the Souls series imo.
Posted 01:36pm 14/3/14
i didn't get too far into it last night but it is great, the combat system has change a bit running out of stamina will get you f***ed up pretty quickly

the game looks brilliant this new lighting system they have been talking about is awesome

it seems to blend new and old elements of the game really well
Ice9ine
Posted 05:43pm 14/3/14
Not sure what it is but I am enjoying it much more than DS1, maybe because I have my head around how the series works, even though I did play Demon Souls too. I will pick it up again on PC also for another run through. Between this, ROS and Titanfall I have pretty much got my games for this year sorted.

Wait...Inquisition, Destiny, Second Son.....
Spook
Posted 06:27pm 14/3/14
fair jump in quality between cut scene and game play.
Posted 07:43pm 14/3/14

i'm probably feeling this even more than you as dark souls was my first crack at the series and i was pretty bad at it, i actually cracked it with the game for 3 months because i couldn't beat quelaag i ended up using wiki's a fair bit but it was still good because the wiki's can't give you the skill needed

so i am enjoying going at this without a clue of where to go or what to watch out for.

those f*****g c**** that lay on the ground and get up after you walk away from them have got me a couple of times by surprise
Posted 12:35am 15/3/14
So from what i can gather regarding the enemies disappearing it has nothing to do with how many times you die i think it is a mechanism put in place to stop easy farming of souls

Early on i stopped at a couple of places to farm souls because i was struggling and i noticed the enemies disappearing after a few goes which was c***ish as i wanted souls, it seemed to work by how many times i rested at the bonfire
Mosfx
Posted 07:54am 15/3/14
I just bought Dark Souls about to play it once I get past Windows Live (FFS) I know I'm behind the times but CBF paying full price for a game I can get in 6 months time for half the price

I got my Xbox controller ready, going to try and beat this one life =\
Mosfx
Posted 08:24am 15/3/14
God that game is brutal died two times from the skeleton with a shield lol
Posted 08:27am 15/3/14
Don't go near the graveyard first up, that is where you should head like 3/4 of the way through the game (unless you are pro)
Mosfx
Posted 08:36am 15/3/14
I'm talking the first 5 minutes of game play lol

I spent 4 lives trying to kill the first skeleton with a shield you see, only to realise I had to go through the portal and kill the Alysium Demon, which I did on on first try so nfi maybe i'm getting better already
Posted 09:09am 15/3/14
Oh lol i was thinking firelink shrine

doing better than me took me a while to get through even asylum demon, i was pretty bad at it first up as i don't play too many rpg type games - so i thought i'd start with the hardest

ps. they are hollows bro, skeletons are in the game but they are different. got to get with the lingo
Phandaal
Posted 02:00pm 15/3/14
Enemies de spawning is a terrible change.

Other than that the game is great.
Joaby
Posted 02:26pm 15/3/14
I just saw on twitter that Junglist has completed his Onebro run.
Posted 08:42pm 15/3/14
Enemies de spawning is a terrible change.

yeah it's not great, but if you want to beef it up you have the option to with the bonfire ascetic etc. now so that is a good counter
Mosfx
Posted 12:16pm 16/3/14
Don't want to hijack this thread but Dark Souls is so hard and frustrating I find myself quitting the game and almost uninstall it when I go back into it to play some more only to die 50 more times lol

I just killed the Taurus Demon when I killed him I died at the same time, saw a note further up informing me of a drake so I went back to the bonfire to use my 5k souls lol I'll definety be buying DS2 when it drops on pc
Posted 12:26pm 16/3/14
but how good did it feel when you beat that taurus demon, you remind me of me when i first started ie. really bad

and i'm still not great at it by any stretch haha

yeah the bridge guarded by a dragon is up ahead protip: TIME YOUR RUN AND KEEP RUNNING
Hotcakes
Posted 12:29pm 16/3/14
Well done, you passed what essentially amounts to the tutorial area.
carson
Posted 07:39am 17/3/14

Dark Souls: Stockholm Syndrome - The Game

last edited by Eorl at 11:40:22 01/May/14
Posted 07:04pm 17/3/14
haha yeah if you go to heides tower first up and you aren't packing some skills you're going to have a bad day

not un-doable by any stretch and going the dual swords man is just asking for trouble

looks like he's playing for dark souls 1 roll invincible frames, that windows has been shortened
Viper119
Posted 07:13am 18/3/14
Cor blimey, looks hectic! I think I'm going to wait until after my uni assignments to give this a go!
Joaby
Posted 09:20am 18/3/14

That's Junglist running the first 6 bosses as a level 1 (while we record the podcast in the background).

It's obviously very spoilery.
Posted 07:50pm 18/3/14
so where is everyone up to?

i'm in hunters cospe - soul level 63
Hotcakes
Posted 10:46pm 26/3/14
I'm still waiting for my pre-ordered copy to arrive.
Posted 09:36am 27/3/14
lol did you pre-order in america or something?
Spook
Posted 09:40am 27/3/14
i am still waiting on my $8 usb controller to be fixed or replaced on ebay.
Posted 09:56am 27/3/14
he scared^
Spook
Posted 11:57am 27/3/14
at war with ebay vendor.

old mate is about to get a bad rating all up in his grill.

UNLESS HE SENDS ME 2 WORKING CONTROLERS
eski
Posted 07:34pm 24/4/14
It's been a tough month of convincing myself not to crack and go out and buy the console version, but it's finally coming out for PC tomorrow.

I think you can still get it for $40 from GMG.
Nickname
Email Address

If you already have an account, please login here

You need an account to participate on AusGamers.

This form will quickly create one for you - you will just need to confirm your email address by clicking on a link in an email that will get sent to you.

Your comments will be published once your email address has been confirmed.