Cam Lee Inquisition
Dragon Age: Inquisition producer Cameron Lee has become a fixture here at AusGamers. The Aussie ex-pat took tie out of his Gamescom duties to chat with us again. Check it out!
couch slayer
Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition is now upon us, but it might as well be called "definitive edition". Read our review to find out why - click here!
Resident Evil Within
The Evil Within is creeping up just around the release corner, so we decided to take a look back at Shinji Mikami's incredible Resident Evil 4. Click here for more!
fella!
Wrapping up a tour in Australia and with Summerslam dominating August, we had a chance to chat with the Great White himself, Sheamus! Check it out right here!
Post by Eorl @ 03:56pm 25/02/14 | 42 Comments
With patch 2.0.1 on the horizon for Blizzard's action RPG Diablo 3, the developer has taken to their official blog to reveal a bit more on the new Paragon 2.0 system, which will make its way to the game with the Reaper of Souls expansion.

Originally introduced back in patch 1.0.4, the Paragon system was Blizzard's means of offering end-game content and progression where there was none, allowing players to expand beyond the standard cap level. Now the system is being revamped, entirely removing the previous 100 level cap in favour of allowing players to earn Paragon experience beyond the max level. Paragon levels are also becoming account bound, and will be segregated across normal and hardcore characters.

“We made this change so players wouldn’t feel obligated to continue playing the same hero over and over again in order to maximize their farming efficiency,” say Blizzard. “We want players to have fun with the game, to experiment with different classes, and to feel rewarded for their time investment, regardless of what hero they’re playing.”

Alongside the Paragon cap level removal, Blizzard will introduce a new Paragon Points system to replace the previous static stat increases upon gaining a new Paragon level. This new change will now allow players to further customise their characters through four new categories: Core, Offence, Defence and Utility and the Paragon level you earn will determine the category in which that Paragon Point can be spent.
Paragon level 1 will give you a point to spend in a Core stat, Paragon level 2 will give you a point in Offense, Paragon level 3 will give you a point to spend in Defense, and Paragon level 4 will give you a point to spend in Utility. Paragon Point progression for all future levels will follow this same pattern (sometimes referred to as round-robin). In addition, each category also four different attributes. Spending points in these attributes will provide specific bonuses for your hero.
Blizzard also outlines that while the new Paragon system is account-wide, meaning all heroes will benefit from gained bonuses, your account's Paragon Point pool is not shared between heroes.

" Instead, heroes on your account will each get their own set of Paragon Points to spend independently (e.g. you can spend your Paragon Points differently for each hero). To provide an example, if your account's Normal Shared Paragon level is 100, all Normal heroes on your account will each get 100 Paragon Points to distribute as you see fit."

You can read up on the full details at their blog post, including some handy pictures to help explain the smaller details. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls will be available come March 25th for Windows and Mac.

Zapo
Posted 08:37am 26/2/14
To be clear patch 2.0.1 is available now, and when the servers come up in a few hours time will be playable.

There are some massive changes in this patch ahead of the expansion next month, so well worth checking them out now if you're keen.

Like the Starcraft 2 2.0 update, your game client needs to be reconfigured which can take from 5-30 minutes, and then the actual patch is over 2GB, so I would recommend starting up your b.net client and getting it patched ASAP.
Ice9ine
Posted 10:28am 26/2/14
This is game changing stuff. Excellent work Blizzard.
Jayman
Posted 05:33am 27/2/14
This patch alone has made the game x10 better imo. Bring on the expac.
shad
Posted 09:09am 27/2/14
Anyone know if it is possible to have the map not default to the world map.
Hogfather
Posted 10:10am 27/2/14
This patch alone has made the game x10 better imo. Bring on the expac.

Pretty much, except:
Anyone know if it is possible to have the map not default to the world map.

Or a different hotkey to bring up the local map?
Ice9ine
Posted 10:14am 27/2/14
Had the best fun running through act 1 with two mates last night. This patch is king.
paveway
Posted 10:22am 27/2/14
hmm to reinstall or not

it does sound enticing :s
Eorl
Posted 10:34am 27/2/14
I've gone and made an AusGamers clan for those interested, just add FROODLEME#1629 for an invite.
Hogfather
Posted 11:03am 27/2/14
hmm to reinstall or not

it does sound enticing :s

Its good.

Its not a new game, you're still playing through the Acts. But its better. My thoughts:
  • Fixed potions. No more types of potion, just 'potion' with 60% hitpoints instaheal. You don't have to click on them to pickup, just run over them like money.

• Loot is fixed. Much less of it, and much much more likely to be useful, so less sifting through piles of bizarre items that are no good for anyone. You'll want to pick it all up, even white / grey (see below for why). No more identifying rares and blues. Still some weird things can happen, I got a 2 handed sword with Wizard stats for a legendary which was funny :p Many more legendaries drop, but they are still rare enough to get a small tingle when you see the orange beacon. I've had 2-3 drop in maybe 3-4 hours gameplay.

• Quality of loot went up a LOT. Level 60 rares with 2-300 primary and vitality are not uncommon. New organisation of stats into primary and secondary works well too, no more losing item budgets because some STR snuck in and you're an INT caster

• New combat nephalem buff things are fun. Some of them grant unlimited resources for a whlie so you can let go, paying attention to what funky buff you have is important.

• Crafting is fixed. No more recipes for gem combining. Gem combining cheaper. White and grey items are useful as they are salvaged into items needed to create stuff. Like drops in Loot 2.0, crafted items will always be vaguelly relevant to the crafter, so its much less of a gamble. Quality so far has been pretty high.

• Paragon is fixed. No more uneven level curve so it gets stupidly hard and time consuming at about 50, just an endless sea of points with smaller impact per point that you can play around with freely. You'll get rewarded with a 'ding' or two per play session.

• No more f*****g Nephalem Valor. Want to have one set of skills for trash and one for bosses? Go on you shining diamond, have fun.

• The new difficulty system seems to have evened out the spikey combat gameplay. Everything feels a lot more mature somehow, trash mobs are a wee bit tougher and elite mobs (with some fun exceptions) hurt a little bit less but are a little bit tougher. I spend more time coming up with ways to kill stuff and less time working out how not to die to stuff. This isn't a HUGE difference (and I assume if you like the die die mechanic you can ramp up difficulty) but it feels like they are getting close to a sweet spot here.

• The above could also be due to some class tuning. My Wizzy feels a lot tankier generally.

• Lots of new mini-events in dungeons. Nothing overwhelming but its a lot less dull than busting into a room over and over.

• Your CE 'wings' stay on, maybe until you die (survive through logout and login anyway). Its a little thing but nice to reclaim a bag slot if you like to use them. Seeing more wings out there which is kind of nice I guess, gives the game some flavour and is shiny as f***.

Creepy
Posted 11:29am 27/2/14
M = World map
TAB = dungeon map

You can rebind..

I never felt a desire to play much, prior to this patch. The loot used to be terrible, and I had no desire to continually look at the AH for upgrades. Now I'm getting them from monsters. Precisely what it should have been like from Day #1.
defi
Posted 09:55pm 27/2/14
Wow. This is really good. I feel like every aspect I disliked has been fixed. Performance is better as well, but loot of monsters etc is excellent. Now my defensive build can be tweaked so that I can mow through everything. loving it.
Scooter
Posted 09:01am 28/2/14
Hmm all this talk about it being a game about killing monsters instead of bidding on an Auction House might make me get back into it.

I got Dungeon Keeper from GOG the other week, so when I finish that I might boot up D3 again.
kappa
Posted 12:22pm 28/2/14
What have they done to my barb?! :(
TicMan
Posted 06:14pm 01/3/14
Played for about an hour today and yeah, it feels like a much better game. I wish this was the game they released with as it would have kept my interest much much longer.
DM
Posted 09:17pm 01/3/14
Just some of the highlights of the past 3 days and the awesome items i've found. I've almost filled a stash page full of legendaries that i'll be using for transmog when RoS comes out. Fully self buffed i'm sitting at 397k damage. Still hunting for a Lv 60 Thunderfury and a Mirror Ball. Oh speaking of thunderfury, when I equip this one it lowers my damage to about 120k damage, but the proc still crits for 350 - 450k damage. It says the proc goes off weapon damage, so with a socketed 1,200 DPS Lv 60 version I can only expect 1m+ crits with the effect which happens at least once out of every 5 swings. It's insane.

imageimageimageimageimage
Eorl
Posted 09:22pm 01/3/14
Hah, didn't know Thunderfury was in the game. I'm loving it so far on my Demon Hunter, just have to re-adjust myself to the changed skills and should be all good for some looting, though I am only level 41 so need to grind up. I am finding it a wee bit difficult to keep my attention though, mainly because I'm repeating content that I had done ages ago, and gotten over fairly quickly. As TicMan said, if this was on release it would have kept my interest for a long time.
DM
Posted 10:43pm 01/3/14
Ahaha just found a legendary quiver that makes my Bola Shots explode instantly. Guess i'm gearing up my DH now since that was a non-smart drop perfect for my hunter.
Dodgymon
Posted 01:17am 02/3/14
Not real happy Jan. CM wizz is useless. That said all my gear was actually more suited to loot 2.0 anyways it just sucks that an entire build is gone and it's all back to kiting champs which usually results in lots of deaths when you get cornered. My wizz that used to be my primary hero is pretty useless compared to barb and monk.
reload!
Posted 02:32am 02/3/14

sounds like it might actually be fun to play finally. shame it's about 2 years too late.
TicMan
Posted 08:31am 02/3/14
So the "Elective" setting under game options should be more commonly known.. it allows you to add different types of actions to your hot bar instead of the standard locked ones.
Hogfather
Posted 10:42am 02/3/14

Heh that was in at launch bro ;)
ph33x
Posted 11:02am 02/3/14
Started playing D3 last night with the mrs and a mate. Turns out we all had lvl 52 toons. After about 4 hours, we were level 60 and paragon level 8.

Going to start the hardest difficulty as soon as we get a bit more gear. I got a set piece 1H with about 1200dps.
Thundercracker
Posted 04:02pm 02/3/14
There's an ANZ community that I would recommend joining. Good to have other aussies to play with :)
Hogfather
Posted 04:55pm 02/3/14
Turns out that the difficulty setting changes are pretty good for levelling alts and in general too.

I had though they'd just spread the existing system out over new classes of difficulty, but all difficulties are now available at level 1. I've been playing a new WD on Expert and (after skills fleshed out and got got some drops) I'm now level 23 and up to Trailing the Coven and recently flicked over to Master.

This is working really well - the thing I hated about levelling in d3 is grinding through normal and nightmare where the game was too easy and boring then making the slog through hell where it finally got a little bit difficult. Monster Power was a clutch that fixed nothing, because all it meant was you reached the level cap faster, you still had to grind through he game 4 times to get to the relative freedom of post-Inferno where you could pick a quest and are you wanted to play in.

Smashing Master and considering maybe bumping it up again soon. I reckon my new WD may be level 60 (or very close to) off a single play through. Noice.
RUSTA
Posted 05:36pm 03/3/14
I just reinstalled it. I'm up for a game.

RUSTA#1865
Mosfx
Posted 09:13am 04/3/14
Wow, just wow!

This game feels so different almost how it should of been when it launched.

The difficulty settings through me off for a bit, my Witch Doctor is level 51 I chose normal but the monsters must scale? the first item that dropped was a new dagger that was 5x better than the one I currently had, all the loot that dropped was vastly superior even had a legendary 2h sword drop too.

The levels as well seem to actually be randomly generated now, is this just me tripping out or what?
Hogfather
Posted 09:19am 04/3/14

Yeh the whole game scales now based on your character level when you start the game, with Normal, Expert etc applied as a difficulty modifier on top of that. Its kinda cool.

Seeing a LOT of people playing now, like approaching launch numbers on my friends list.
paveway
Posted 10:55am 04/3/14

yeah i jumped into a normal difficulty game for the first time since forever the other day with my old level 60 witch doctor thinking it being 'normal' that i would god walk through the level and then i'd up my difficulty from there but it wasn't quite as easy as i thought it was going to be, was wondering what was going on there
Posted 11:16am 04/3/14
What if you have a multiplayer game with people of different levels? Does it scale to an average of the levels or the highest person? Or the person who started the game?

Sounds pretty good though, I'll be firing it up again, if not before RoS then when it comes out
Hogfather
Posted 12:22pm 04/3/14

The game is the level of the creator (or if in a party already when it starts, the leader I assume). The exp rules for power levelling are very lax now too, a little too lax to start with where a level 1 who managed to stay alive in torment could be 50+ in a few minutes. One of the fat guys in act 1 torment gave a level 49 friend of mine about half a level before they nerfed it, presumably with a max % of level per kill now.

Bliz have said they want to preserve power levelling and see no harm in a low level breezing through the content with higher levels if that's the gameplay people choose. Paraphrased but that's the gist I got fro the Blue post.
Thundercracker
Posted 01:37pm 04/3/14
+50% XP for the next 3 weeks :O

There goes my weekend.
Hogfather
Posted 02:58pm 04/3/14
My WD is currently on 500% XP, playing Inferno I not long to 60 I guess :)
Dodgymon
Posted 07:36pm 04/3/14
I was at first really bummed they killed the cm build but they have replaced it with heaps of cool builds. The wizard went from being a boring and repetitive hero to being the clear winner in terms of versatility and fun.
Pretty excited about the patch now.
Mosfx
Posted 07:52am 05/3/14
My WD is fun to play, I mixed up the skills abit now since my gear had bonuses to skills I wasn't using this really makes it fun normally I'd just run around with my Hounds and Gargantuan and let them do the killing while I cast plague and locusts lol

The Barb is fun to play again as well the Whirlwind where he sucks monsters into him is awesome.
Nathan
Posted 10:01am 05/3/14
Mosfx, I agree- I think the best change is the X% increase to , encouraging you to change your skills selection to make use of whatever gear happens to drop. And likewise forcing you to evaluate each new thing... so a drop might give you 5% higher DPS, but do I want to give up my 15% buff on arcane orb?
Hogfather
Posted 10:38am 05/3/14
Yeh Nathan that's it, and a lot of people on the official forum (why do I read that s*** sigh) really aren't getting it. A common complaint is difficulty in getting Piece X with specifically Affix Y.

With BoA and loot 2.0 the game is about coming up with builds based on what you find for your character.

Previously the game was about picking a build, then grinding long time / buying the gear to suit.

IMO, the new game s**** all over the old one as its a creative process and inherently makes cookie cutting less effective. You just may not have the items to make OP Build Z work and will need to think!

The addition of the mystic to swap out an affix (in particular to socket an otherwise perfect weapon) will add the currently missing flexibility. Its not a big deal as it is given how loot rains from the sky at the moment, but its going to help a lot.

Edit:

Oh yeh, can we get an Ausgamers Community set up please? Lots of people are in clans already so the clan deal isn't working the best :D
Eorl
Posted 11:07am 05/3/14
Fiiineee, I'll make an AusGamers community.

Edit: Okay community is up, just search AusGamers and join.
Hogfather
Posted 11:25am 05/3/14
RMAH is back up for gold.

I'm thinking of spending a couple of dollars as a buffer before gold becomes truly BoA. What do you guys think the price is going to do from here? $5 USD seems high, I bought a stack a little while ago for $2.38, but its only just come back up..
Thundercracker
Posted 01:19pm 05/3/14
Fiiineee, I'll make an AusGamers community.

Edit: Okay community is up, just search AusGamers and join.

Sweet :)
TiT
Posted 02:09pm 05/3/14
I just started playing again and i am only Level 30 :(
Hogfather
Posted 02:13pm 05/3/14
Wont take long titties, stick it on master

Will come give you some <3 if you like when I see you on
TiT
Posted 02:22pm 05/3/14
yeah thanks, i saw you on last night but didnt want to annoy you. ill see how i go. South park might take me away again
Nickname
Email Address

If you already have an account, please login here

You need an account to participate on AusGamers.

This form will quickly create one for you - you will just need to confirm your email address by clicking on a link in an email that will get sent to you.

Your comments will be published once your email address has been confirmed.