beware your nemesis
Blizzard spoke with us recently about what separates the Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition experience over the PC and spoke about platform differences. Click here!
inquiring minds
We chat with friend of the site Cameron Lee about Dragon Age Inquisition's endgame content, theorycrafting, tactical play and much more. Click here for our interview!
welcome to you're doom
AusGamers got a 15-minute live sneak-peek at the totally reimagined Doom at this year's QuakeCon. Read our in-depth first-look impressions right here!
highway to the danger zone
We caught up with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's game director, Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, to talk all things Witcher, monsters and open-world! Click here!
Post by Eorl @ 11:08am 25/02/14 | 21 Comments
Creator of the hit DayZ mod and standalone title Dean "Rocket" Hall has confirmed that he will be leaving Bohemia and the open world sandbox project, moving on to opening a new studio in his local home of New Zealand.

Eurogamer revealed the news, with Hall stating that he will leave DayZ development in the hands of its current team, and will leave Bohemia to start his own studio at the end of the year. The developer who rose to fame thanks to his hit DayZ mod for ArmA 2 already has a few ideas up his sleeve, in a search for the ultimate multiplayer experience. “I want to chase that,” he told the site, and adding that he feels DayZ's concept is still a flawed experience.

Speaking with Eurogamer, he revealed that “I am a grenade. I have a specific use. I’m really good at risk-taking and making other people take risks, I’ve always been good at that in my life. Like you say, maybe I’ve got the gift of the gab, so I can talk, I can explain something, I can talk people up to the ledge and get them to jump off it."
"That's what I did with DayZ; I've done it twice now [once with the mod, again with the standalone] - two new code teams have separately done it. But eventually, that's the bad person to have. Eventually, you don't want the guy telling you to go over the top and get through. So at some point I'll be a disaster for the project, at least in a leadership role."
Interestingly Hall revealed that he never actually intended to be where he was, but thanks to the huge success and popularity of DayZ - both the mod and its standalone project - he became entangled in the development. "I never intended to be here. And it’s kind of like cooking in someone else’s kitchen: I don’t want to be constantly telling Bohemia that this is how I do it and this is the way we do it.”

Currently Hall plans to remain at Bohemia's disposal for as long as is needed, though does intend to leave by the end of the year. "Originally I wasn't going to do this year, but it would be stupid not to, and it would be unfair to the community. I have to be on the project as long as it's important to. Whether that role is as the leader, whether that role is in a more creative sense... But at a certain point there will be diminishing returns."

What do you think of Dean Hall's departure? Let us know in the comments below.

Buy now from SteamUS Only USD$29.99!

d^
Posted 01:31pm 25/2/14

Massive commotion being caused over at Reddit. Some of these comments are ridiculous but make some valid points.

and some more

IVY_MiKe
Posted 02:03pm 25/2/14
Interesting perspective at a glance d^.

I think it sucks but Rocket has always been an 'open door' about his take on developing DayZ.
I guess this sucks most for people who shelled out cash for DayZ Stand alone...
That being said, there's no reason that the other staff at Bohemia can't improve on DayZ some more.

I wish Rocket all the best and hope to see what he develops next.
Audi
Posted 02:14pm 25/2/14
I'm a DayZ fan but can't stand Dean. Maybe the game will now get finished he'll be out of the way implementing stupid s*** into the game.
No way i'll support his next project.
RuleofBooKz
Posted 02:24pm 25/2/14
same audi.

Respect that he created it, came up with the idea, but its obvious with hindsight that the main thing that held DayZ back was rocket

Hopefully they can build some kind of end game into the standalone
Tollaz0r!
Posted 02:28pm 25/2/14
Dayz was nothing more than an interesting social/gaming experiment. From a pure gameplay perspective it's pretty boring spending hours walking around collecting loot for the minute, although highly emotionally charged (thanks to hours of bat s*** boring walking around who wants to do all that walking again), moments. I'm glad I experienced it, as it was very different, wont do it again though.
Ozzy
Posted 04:14pm 25/2/14
I rekon this move will make DayZ better. I can imagine removing the Dean Rocket Hall god presence and replace it with some fresh new blood and new ideas that will improve the game.
carson
Posted 04:25pm 25/2/14
My only gripe with this is at the whole early access thing in general. I think there needs to be a level of consumer security offered on steam like kickstarter has. With kickstarter I think you can get a refund if the product doesn't deliver, I think early access should give you and the developers a grace period. Say you buy it, then after 6 months if the devs haven't done anything you can get a refund or something. This stops the developers cashing out.

Take Godus for example. It was promised to have a lot and be done in around 9-12months. We were promised constant involvement with the developers and updates all the time and now they only guy from 22cans who even bothered to communicate with the community has departed. To top that off, Peter Molyneux has all the developers under an NDA so none of them can talk about the game. He hasn't really finished kicking the fans in the face there and people who got early access, he is making the game a "invest to play" (he asserts it's not free to play when in reality it is and will have many micro transactions).

I've got my monies worth from dayz SA, and will probably play it some more down the track. Plus I think early access has helped games like starbound and rust really get huge (which is good). Though I still think there are some devs that are taking advantage of it (22cans).
Posted 04:54pm 25/2/14
I'm glad I experienced it, as it was very different, wont do it again though.

Yeah, thats kind of where I'm at, I actually played the standalone version a fair bit, more than I'd play an average game, put something like 40 or 50 hours into it. But I've seen that and done that now, I've got very little interest in going back to it. Maybe when they've added enough new stuff to the game that it has significantly changed the dynamics of the gameplay, I'll give it another bash, but adding a new gun here and there isn't really enough to cut it. I mean, its not really something that you play for the varied and interesting gunplay.
BOOST
Posted 05:21pm 25/2/14
After playing DayZ for a while, BF4 seems like a polished gaming dreamboat

DayZ was fun as an experiment but its never going to work on that engine IMO
carson
Posted 05:43pm 25/2/14
DayZ was fun as an experiment but its never going to work on that engine IMO

That's what I feel. The engine feels super limiting. I mean, I read a while back that Rocket wants things like base building and underground tunnelling or something. I just can't see dynamic stuff like that happening on the arma2/dayz engine
Audi
Posted 05:48pm 25/2/14
I heard he's introducing shampoo into DayZ next patch, if you don't wash your hair every few days the Zombies can sense you much easier.
WirlWind
Posted 05:54pm 25/2/14
Or you could stop paying for un-finished games, Carson.

Pre-ordering a game is bad enough, but early access is even worse.
RuleofBooKz
Posted 06:49pm 25/2/14
when i 1st played dayz the mod around 1.6 there were those noise and visual bars as indicators to how safe form Z you were. Going into a town had Z with set patrol routes. So if you were solo sneak thru a town if u managed your bars to avoid the Z hearing/ seeing you. It was a thrill waiting crouched behind a low wall while a Z slowly ambled past moaning and moving off around the corner before you made your mover to crouch run to the next safe spot. It could take many minutes just to get to the middle of a little town and search a few buildings and sneak out again. Maybe 30 mins from entering the town to getting out again un-spotted or attacked. That was awesome.

These days its like Z spot you from 50m, even thru walls, and you end up just sprinting thru towns. Game changed and along the way we lost the whole Z thing and made it a survival PvP combat sim
carson
Posted 07:29pm 25/2/14
Or you could stop paying for un-finished games, Carson.

Pre-ordering a game is bad enough, but early access is even worse.

True, but I like the idea of being part of the game as it grows and if it's a game I enjoy (or genre) I can interact with the developers more. I mean look at DayZ, Rust, Starbound and KSP. They've been success stories with the early access in that they are in constant touch with the community and listening to the feedback and the updates are pretty regular. Then look at other games like Godus, et al. are popular and the devs are seemingly in to it, then once it dies down the devs just abandon ship.
Enska
Posted 12:39am 26/2/14
Why is early access better/ worse then jumping into a beta, etc? Oh wait, it's an open alpha.
itt, people s***ting on something that clearly has a long way to go and has been stated as much. I better get back to my ESO beta and Titanfail, they come out soon and are SO solid!

F*** you c**** are terrible at games. One day betas/alphas suit you, the next it doesn't. It clearly states on the opening page of the game that it has a long way to go, but oh no, I payed for a game maen what the f***.

Edit* - I question how many haters here have actually put time into it (the SA). If you had, you would realize there is much more to it than guns and shooting bambis.
RuleofBooKz
Posted 02:23am 26/2/14
such as? What end game content has dayz SA got once you and your squad are all geared up?
Nerf Stormborn
Posted 08:27am 26/2/14

Sort of how I felt about minecraft, unfortunately they never took it anywhere interesting after the great initial survival/harvesting/building concept. The nhether portals etc were just shrug worthy, I actually wanted to have to defend a home base against attention it drew, feed an army with the efficient food growing systems I set up, etc.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 10:12am 26/2/14

Please, do go on.

What more to is there? Walking 10 km's? or Crouch walking 15Km's? Stalking another player through the bushes for 2 hours? The Z's are hardly a challenge so they rate for nothing.

As we've said, the game does offer some truly unique moments. Moments that take epic amounts of boring to attain.
carson
Posted 10:52am 26/2/14

For me, it's finding things to do like setting goals. Whether it's trying to stalk other players, visiting cities or just exploring parts of the world that I haven't been too yet.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 10:56am 26/2/14
So yeah, stalking, and walking.
BOOST
Posted 11:07am 26/2/14
Enska I think you're missing that Carson and others (incl. myself) are more having a go at the games engine rather than the unfinished state of the game. My view is even after they add all the features and fix all the bugs, its still going to be glitchy and run like a dog as the underlying engine appears to be flawed for what they're trying to achieve.

Others have pointed out that the dev team is busy implementing beanies and hats while their priorities could have been fixing what they already have.

I spent the $30 having seen all the youtube videos and thought it looked fun, plus I wanted to support them to help them build it into something awesome. But now that I've played it, it seems like they're trying to build a mansion on mudflats.
You must be logged in to post a comment. Log in now!