to the moon, athena
AusGamers caught up with 2K Australia and Randy Pitchford to discuss the recently revealed Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and why Australia is making an impact on the moon. Click for more!
Welcome to Planet Nexus
We take a brief dip in the MMO pool with Carbine Studios' WildStar, and find out just what Planet Nexus has in store for us. Check it out in our preview for more!
oracle of ages
Batman: Arkham Knight is set to be Rocksteady's final in the Arkham series, so it's fitting that it's just so damn big. And Batmobiles. Nuff said. Click for more!
Death Awaits!
It's finally here - has Blizzard managed to deliver on a series promise with Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls? We answer that question in great detail in our in-depth review!
Post by Eorl @ 10:05am 19/02/14 | 94 Comments
Banished, the medieval city building simulation title from one-man team Shining Rock Software, has finally been made available to the public after spending more than four years in development.

The new title will offer players the chance to get comfy and try their hardest at ensuring their village lasts throughout the harsh seasons, battling not just the environment but also the conditions of life itself.
The townspeople of Banished are your primary resource. They are born, grow older, work, have children of their own, and eventually die. Keeping them healthy, happy, and well-fed are essential to making your town grow. Building new homes is not enough—there must be enough people to move in and have families of their own.

Banished has no skill trees. Any structure can be built at any time, provided that your people have collected the resources to do so. There is no money. Instead, your hard-earned resources can be bartered away with the arrival of trade vessels. These merchants are the key to adding livestock and annual crops to the townspeople’s diet; however, their lengthy trade route comes with the risk of bringing illnesses from abroad.
The game is available through Steam, though for the DRM-free crowd GOG.com, the Humble Bundle Store and the developer's website are also offering the sim up for sale. The game weighs in at a whopping 89mb, reinstating the fact that this one-man dev team is clearly a wizard. Check out the trailer below.

Buy now from Steam Only USD$19.99!

arkter
Posted 10:23am 19/2/14
Is there a HD option for that video? :S dat 240p
Eorl
Posted 10:31am 19/2/14
Should be good now :)
qmass
Posted 10:34am 19/2/14
RPS shit on it but RPS are turning into a bunch of PC (the bad kind) wankers so I no longer trust their trend orientated opinions.
Eorl
Posted 10:52am 19/2/14
They expect too much from one dude, and seem to be trying to comparing a lot of indie titles of late to AAA titles which is just not going to work out.
dazzalus
Posted 11:28am 19/2/14
Bought it. Looking forward to messing around with it.
Posted 12:38pm 19/2/14
It's really good. Everything I wanted and more. Been playing since 6am. Can't stop a rockin! You gotta get the right balance or shit just falls apart.

Who or what is RPS?1
Varchld
Posted 05:16pm 19/2/14

If they're comparing it to AAA titles, then maybe this game is a much higher caliber than they say.
Mantorok
Posted 06:28pm 19/2/14
Weird, I read the RPS review and thought it seemed pretty reasonable.
Enska
Posted 06:52pm 19/2/14
RPS have become some kind of holier than thou pack of fuckwits, I no longer bother with their reviews.

Rock Paper Shotgun Carson, http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/
Phooks
Posted 07:05pm 19/2/14
Just bought it after reading most of the reviews available. Seems like just the type of game I am after... a nice long learning curve.
Tanaka Khan
Posted 07:25pm 19/2/14
Playing it now, well, playing the tutorial anyway. It has an early Settler's feel to it.
Rominion
Posted 08:19pm 19/2/14
Ive been playing this for quite some time now, all i can say is the learning curve is brutal. This is not an easy game, i put this into the same basket as playing a guitar, anyone can pick it up and strum it and say they played the guitar, but only a few will put in the time and effort to really play it.
Tanaka Khan
Posted 09:18pm 19/2/14
Oh man I'm terrible at this game, but I'm learning. I keep running out of food, and build too many things I really don't need in the beginning. Have learned that you can't build roads over hills and have to go the long way around...wasted time and resources learning that. The replayability of this game is really good though. I just wish when my guys are hunting you could see them actually kill the animals, they just seem to wander around aimlessly.
XandraX
Posted 11:03pm 19/2/14
Get farms up ASAP for food security. Collect the stone but leave a block of trees, otherwise your gatherers won't be able to find mushrooms and stuff. Don't be afraid to reassign people if they reach a comfortable level of stock.
Phooks
Posted 12:31am 20/2/14
Just got my hard mode city to 30 pop, putting up a hospital now... still no fucking farms/orchards, yeesus those trade prices are STEEP
D-Sub
Posted 12:37am 20/2/14
Having a warehouse full of food, four stone houses and the blacksmith burn down right before winter was a big game over for me just then. Must remember to build a fucking town well.
Posted 08:48am 20/2/14
My people are drowning in food! I could use a fire to clean up the clutter.
dazzalus
Posted 10:25am 20/2/14
Damn need sleep, this game kept me up way too late. Lets hope my first coffee wakes me up a little.
Tanaka Khan
Posted 10:43am 20/2/14
Got my town up to 7 years last night, got the food situation sorted, 70 people, when fire hits. Lost all my houses and my food storage, then winter struck and had 40 people die. Damn I love this game!!

If you're set up close to a river your villagers will get water from here too.
Posted 12:39pm 20/2/14
So the best way to do it is this.

Build a forester away from your town and throw down a gatherer, a couple of houses and a hunters lodge. The gathers (and herbalists) rate of gathering is dependant on the amount of mature trees in the area. This gives you max yield. Do this at the start. Early on, I don't think farms are worth it. They require too many workers and it isn't a constant source of food like gathering is. It also doesn't offer much variety.

As you get more, add a little more to your town. I usually go for a blacksmith, then tailor early on. Then just build more houses centering around a marketplace.

The good thing is you can place your buildings down, but not have them built and it costs nothing. I recommend playing on hard over the other modes, as it gives you more flexibility on where you start your town.
arkter
Posted 02:50pm 20/2/14
I think the AI really needs some improvement above 150 population. Citizens are just dumb and constantly starve to death. I have a 10k surplus of food, plenty of markets, plenty of labourers, plenty of storage barns, stone roads.. everything is relatively close to each other too - yet they still just walk around until they starve to death.

I don't get it - A lot of people complaining about it on reddit too.

edit: I don't think the dev knows how potatos work, you need to buy 'Potato seeds'
Posted 03:21pm 20/2/14
lol@potato seeds. I was thinking about that before. Playing on Hard mode, I was waiting for a merchant to rock up with seeds thinking, just plant your fkn potatoes guys, surely one of you forgot about a potato in the dark corner of your house and it's growing sprouts...

Anyway, Year 30 and have 42 population with 11 students and 12 children. A very steady and rock solid community, could do with slightly more cloths but meh I have plenty of firewood. Got a nice flow of apple Cider (berry juju juice couldn't keep up with demand)

Not sure how people are having trouble feeding their population in the early game :/
Tanaka Khan
Posted 03:52pm 20/2/14
I have 2 hunting cabins, one fishing dock, and a gatherer's hut all with full workers, plenty of food in the Storage barn, yet the people in the closest house to the barn kept starving...wtf!!
Posted 04:33pm 20/2/14
How many laborers do you have?

edit: It was population of 40 in 20 years, my bad.

I now have population of 55. My school teacher died and BAM! all my students were shunted into uneducated adults, kind of useful at the time too.

I have 3 gathers huts, 2 of which have a forester next to them. 2 fishing docs, 1 hunting lodge. 2 Farms, 2 Orchids, a Chicken farm and a sheep farm.

Got a quarry with about 3 workers in them, they die pretty often to falling rocks :/

All my houses are along 2 main streets. My tailor, blacksmith and now 2 wood choppers are situated next to my 2 stockpiles and a well. Recently 1 of my Wood Choppers died to an axe accident... wtf.

last edited by Tollaz0r! at 16:33:56 20/Feb/14
paveway
Posted 07:23pm 20/2/14
one guy made a game better than EA could manage with simcity?
Andrewus
Posted 08:40pm 20/2/14
And it's like 100mb too pave. Explain that lol
Posted 09:01pm 20/2/14
yeah, it's heaps better than Sim City (the latest one). It doesn't have a great deal of longevity as it stands, however for the life that you play it, it is great.

It has sims that are far more convincing then Sim Cities Agents lol
Posted 10:10pm 20/2/14
My population is sitting around 60+ at 30 years with no signs of slowing down.

Once the naggling issues with the release are sorted (there are some bugs and AI being turds) he's going to release a mod kit. Either way we can expect a fully supported mod kit + linux and mac support + potential DLC/Expansions. This game definitely has longevity if you ask me.

With some minor issues (mostly to do with the terrain and having shitty bits you can't lower so you can build) and some AI and/or priority building issues, this game is what I have wanted for ages. It's challenging and has a lot of depth. I like the lack of combat. It's just fun to sit back and chill and try to get your village to survive. Natural disasters and disease are more of a threat than combat anyway.
XandraX
Posted 11:07pm 20/2/14
He needs to add more end-game stuff pretty soon though. There really aren't many buildings or anything to keep it interesting beyond expanding the few core buildings.
Tanaka Khan
Posted 12:17am 21/2/14
Should include the ability to lock off foods from consumption, I grow plums for ale, yet my greedy citizens eat all the plums even though I have plenty of other foods.
Posted 11:40am 21/2/14
MORE PLUMBS!

I'm at around 140 citizens now at 32 years in.

I had 120 Adults and about 30 kids/students.

I haven't built houses for a while now trying to see if I can reach a steady state of birth/death.

A bunch of old people died and I ran out of laborers, I cut my stone/iron production by half to repopulate my laborers. The students are popping over to adults at a good rate now, it is almost steady.

Had a Tornado come in recently that luckily smashed a gathering hut, forester and for some reason a couple of farmers that were walking around up there. Easy fix.

I've upgraded half my houses to stone houses and my firewood production has easily kept up with population. I have an abundance of food 1/3 of which goes to the trading post. I could easily expand my people by building more houses, except the only reason I have to expand is simply for expansions sake. My current citizens have everything they need 5 health, 5 happiness. I wont build any more quarries or mines as I'll just trade surplus food for stone/iron/coal as I need it.
Posted 05:45pm 21/2/14
Had a big Tools shortage. It is intresting to watch how balanced your towns economy gets, when it seems to going gang-busters it only takes a few key people to die and not get replaced and BAM! things go wrong.

In my tools case, I watched as all of a sudden 3-6 people were constantly walking aorund without tools, I thought my tool guy was had a small iron shortage and let it slide.. about 20 mins later it suddenly exploded and I had 30+ people without tools and my tool makers tool busted and it got worse. I had to build a 2nd Blacksmith to bring it back on track.

Now I make Iron tools to sell to the merchant for Iron ore, so I can make much more tools using my endless wood supply, ensuring I can always buy stone and iron on demand. I have 300 Tools in my general supply and about 500 in my trading post haha.

I reached a seemingly steady stat at 90 adults, so I peaked (at the time) around 115 adults and the elderly died and died and I dropped down to 90ish. On closer inspection what happens is that your houses get stuck with 1 old person in it and no-one else, so that house produces no children until the old person dies. The adult population then fluctuates up and down at that point.
Cheez
Posted 06:36pm 21/2/14
Had a huge burst in population and my food stores weren't ready for it then winter hit and everyone started dying of starvation, think its time to try a different strat and see how i go.
Phooks
Posted 12:17am 22/2/14

wait so you sell iron tools by buying iron and stone? neat, is that making you much of a profit? I've been trading not much other than food ale and firewood atm.

The (failed) goal for my city so far has been to make ales of every type... man it ain't easy, i think i need to restart on a large map
copuis
Posted 07:58am 22/2/14
my goal is to get past a few winters,

I seems to either
A) run out of food
B) run out of births (so they all get old and die)
C) find some balance, and never move forward beyond about 30 people total
Posted 10:32am 22/2/14
If you want educated people, build your first school around 5-7 years. Otherwise you'll end up with an aging population that isn't replaced fast enough.

I'm at like 500 ppl, but I had a tornado rip through the middle of my town and then 5 years later a fire destroy a huge section so there was a great famine and I lost around 300ppl. I'm currently struggling to get my numbers back up, the food has stabilised, it's the freaking firewood that's doing my head in.
natslovR
Posted 10:35am 22/2/14
I played through the tutorial then started up a medium game. This was hard. I was quickly wiped out to 9 people because of insufficient food. So then had to have all my people fishing and farming to just get by, and it didn't last long. I'm pretty sure they are all fucked so i'm going to give up on them. I pretty much did what the tutorial did and I now realise it should be done over a longer time. It probably didn't help that my first crop got infestation.

What the general rules on initial houses? I understand that your population doesn't grow if people don't have privacy, but is that a concern early on, should i just be building say 3 houses and starting on the fish and farms?

During winter do you move your farmers on to other things?

What's a guide on how much wood and food i need in my store shed to get me through winter?

I sometimes built things but couldn't get people to use them like the orchard and the pasture. So i would have 3 people trained and 0/3 on the pasture.
Posted 10:49am 22/2/14
At the start I try to have all my people housed by the 2nd winter. They are tough enough to last the 1st at least.

I first build a gatherer and fishery and have 2 builders assigned. As soon as they are built I start the houses. During that time I'll build a woodcutter and another gatherer. By the time all that is finished I should be having an ample supply of food and can build more houses.

I'll also start a forester and so forth.

I accepted too many Nomads in too short a time and my food production wasn't up for it. Took in about 80 people in 2 winters and I ran into a massive food shortage problem and built another 8 farms however I plonked them down with little thought and my people have to travel to far to be productive so all my farms are getting about 60-80% yield which is hurting food supply even with more farms.

People are dieing .. now my game is crashing...
paveway
Posted 10:56am 22/2/14
yeah so i build 5 initial houses because you start with 5 familes on medium

there is a balance between not building houses and then the kids never leave home and building too many too quickly and you get a population boom and run out of food, you just have to steadily increase as you need more people to do shit i find

yeah i have 15 farmers during spring / summer / autumn they get full redistributed to hunting/gathering/fishing/mining during winter

i have a question with the orchards, they take a couple of years from first planting to when they start yielding - do i need to keep farmers working those orchards after they have been planted but before they start yielding in those few years when they grow?

i still haven't been able to work out the pasture myself
Phooks
Posted 11:33am 22/2/14
Hunters/gatherers/fishers are much more reliable than farming or herding early game. Farms/orchards/pastures will still grow without farmers but not as quickly and will be more susceptible to disease. Farmers in winter just like tailors/builders with nothing to do will turn into laborers.

When starting out its important to keep the # of houses to the number of families and build another quickly when new children come about. Ideally you want 7-9 houses for ~30pp, with 2 labourers at all times as a buffer to replace dead workers early game, and 15+ houses for ~70 pp with 4 labourers at all times as a buffer mid game.

Dont schedule resource gathering too much as builders and gatherers will prioritise that above all else most of the time... at least they do in my game.

really the most important is walk times.. put houses at edge of market boundaries as close to their workplace as possible for max efficiency.
Posted 11:29am 22/2/14
Yeah Early game forget farms. Gathers+++ Fishery's++ hunters+.
Posted 11:41am 22/2/14
Oh, and don't forget a woodcutter.

You can run a good 30pop on just a couple of gathers + a fishery. Make sure your gatherer's are in a heavily forested area and don't chop trees down in its area, Well you can only with a forester.

Max out your gatherers in each hut and fishery too.

It's super easy to build too many houses and get a population boom that has two problems, at the start you may not have enough food and in the future they all start to die around the same time, that can be a problem, forcing you to try build more houses to get more people to compensate. You end up doing the same cycle.

last edited by Tollaz0r! at 11:41:54 22/Feb/14
natslovR
Posted 02:18pm 22/2/14
Most of my people froze to death during the first winter :(

They had plenty of food though.
Posted 02:27pm 22/2/14
1 wood cutter is ample to supply wood for your entire town until with about 100ish people or a bit more.

Another thing to consider is walking distance, sometimes you have lots of food/wood but the poor little buggers have to do massive walks and freeze/starve before they get a chance to save themselves.

The game has a lovely balance, it is interesting just how quickly the balance can shift.
Trauma
Posted 04:09pm 22/2/14

I just churn out heaps of firewood to pay for the seeds, 625 firewood for a seed worth 2500, 782 if it's at the higher custom order price. Make a foresters lodge with gatherer and a hunters cabin next to it in two different areas and 2 wood cutters near your stockpile, should cover all your needs for a fair while. Avoid fishing docks at all costs, so bad.

Great game, even more so given that one guy made it.
natslovR
Posted 04:13pm 22/2/14
I didn't realise cabins could overlap their circles, thanks.
Posted 04:26pm 22/2/14
Fishing Docks are essential imo for winter food production. Farms and gatherers work well for bulk food, however during winter farms produce nothing and gatherer efficiency drops due to bare trees, whilst fishy's just keep on coming.

Yeah drop a forester, gatherer and herbalist together for maximum awesomeness.

Hospitals are only useful for disease outbreaks, otherwise they do nothing. Herbalists and herbs are needed for health.

I also found that not long after I plopped down a school the educated adults got unhappy. Seems education makes them desire more..
Posted 04:54pm 22/2/14
I think farms, and especially livestock aren't as good until you get to 300+ ppl. Livestock are only good for two materials. Lots of leather and wool. They take forever to get a full pen (20x20) with max cows and sheep (though sheep do grow faster) before you reap the rewards.

My city of 600 just fell to ruin. First there was a tornado. Then 5 years later there was a fire that wiped out a huge area of high production, my wells not really helping even though I had a lot, then there was a famine that followed and another 7 years later another fire that did way more damage. So I gave up on that village.

Nomads are a double edged blade. On the one hand they can give a much needed boost to your population to get stuff done faster. On the other hand, they are uneducated, more often than not bring disease, and unless you have more than enough food being produced you'll end up with a famine on your hands. The larger your cities, the larger the intake is too. I was getting 80-100 wanting to join, and boy oh boy, do they fuck shit up when they come in those numbers.

I find putting off to a side a forester, gatherer and 2 houses + herbalist at the start a good strat. It gives decent influx of food and wood (plus other materials that foresters clear) and the herbs keep health up.

Gathers and herb production is linked to tree maturity. So putting them near foresters is a good idea as it ensures that the trees are constantly at highest maturity to get best yields. Also, gatherers give best variety of food early on.

During winter do you move your farmers on to other things?

Like I said above, basically starting on Hard is best imo. Hard gives you less people and doesn't tie you down to a starting place as you only have a cart with food and junk. This means you can find a better location near by if one is offered.

I will always build a forester, gatherer and two houses together away from my main settlement (whatever generally gives them best coverage) and a stockpile first. This gives me enough food and wood to last well in to 50+ people while I focus on other stuff. Where I plan on having my main camp I build 2 more houses and a storage barn (usually somewhere between the forester and main camp) and demolish the cart.

I then wait till I have 11 adults before I build a new home and start working on a black smith and hunters cabin (the cabin is generally near my forester/gatherer) and then once that is being worked I build a tailor. Then I start putting in maybe 1 or 2 more houses. Then a herbalist (again with the forester and stuff, as it needs mature trees to get best results). A wood cutter is good too. Set the limit huge, you want at least 1000.

Then once that is established, you just grow the town slowly till you get around 30 people. If you want schools, I recommend them at around 5-7 years and make sure you've staggered your house building during that time otherwise you'll have an aging population without any replacements. Once you get 30 odd people you can be a bit more aggressive in your growing. I like to get a town hall up ASAP as the information it provides is so useful. I'll usually throw another forester/gatherer/hunter encampment up at this point too.

You don't need a brewery or hospital yet. I'd suggest (if you have disasters turned on) putting up wells around the place, but they use a lot of stone (40 IIRC) as they can help keep the flames in check. When you get around 100 people its worth working towards churches, hospitals, etc. I think that livestock is better to get between 100-200 people with max size yards as the leather and wool is essential for making warm coats.

Once you can get a quarry and mine(s) running and enough workers in there start upgrading houses to stone houses. They use a lot less fuel, I throw a boarding house up when I start doing this and do one house at a time (maybe two if it's summer) as it'll use a lot of stone and some iron. It's all trial and error. I've found the game really rewarding, though I find once you get past 50 years, disasters hurt a lot more and can take decades to recover from.
Trauma
Posted 04:59pm 22/2/14
I can't justify a single fishing dock when compared to a hunters cabin, and they use 1 less worker. I've wondered if having the hospital manned at all times would limit deaths giving birth, maybe others too like weak heart. Maybe extend the life span of ppl.
Posted 05:10pm 22/2/14
Doesn't seem to.

I find fish were a massive food item for me they worked really well. I had chickens but they didn't really do much. The sheep are best imo. Get food and wool.

I find quarries and mines are wasted space, you are heaps better off importing iron and stone for chopped wood, you can get some crazy amounts of wood. Then use them to make iron tools which you can trade for more stone/iron as needed. Once those mines/queries run out they are dead ground.

I also like to store many thousands bits of food in the trading port. This works as a great food buffer for times of shortage. If you know you wont have enough to push through the winter you can release your 20 year old potatoes (lol), and continue to do so until your supply catches back up in a couple of years.

I didn't have enough stored for the famine, those pesky nomads. You really have to be ready for them. fkn boat people.
Posted 05:42pm 22/2/14
Here I am wondering how people are supporting 600+ people with the tiny amount of land available, then I realised I'm playing on a Small map.

Started a new one since the save-bug killed my last village. On large landmass, hard, with harsh weather in a valley.

So much land!
Phooks
Posted 06:20pm 22/2/14
herbalists work in old growth mature forests, not new growth, so don't put them in range of a forester.
Posted 06:41pm 22/2/14
Nahh that turned out to be false Phooks. Also my only herbalists have always been next to foresters and gatherers and they always provided lots of herbs.
Posted 10:07pm 22/2/14

Herbalists work best in mature forests true, and foresters only harvest mature trees, but do so slowly, so your herbalists (and gatherers) will get maximum yield being next to foresters. As you'll notice that after a season or 2, foresters have mostly mature trees surrounding their camps.

Docks will generate more food than hunters. Fishing docks that are well placed can generate 1400 food per season. My best hunters have been around 900 per season (maybe a bit higher).

Education also lowers random deaths, especially work related deaths. Not sure how a hospital works with child birth, but I generally only have deaths from old age when my people are educated and I have a hospital. I'd have to actually play more to see what happens with/without hospitals. Health related deaths may be linked to the hospital, as I know herbs can increase the health, but hospitals do a far better job than just herbs.

I'm hunting achivements at the moment. I've got over half, now going for the tricky ones like no trader with 400 pop and no schools with 300 pop. This town is going much better so far (only year 15 or 20) and strong growth and spaced my buildings out more so fires don't destroy everything. I had a tornado at like the 4th year.
copuis
Posted 10:10pm 22/2/14
I thought the hospitals only really helped with outbreaks and flu (and preventing those deaths)
XandraX
Posted 10:37am 23/2/14
It's a good game but I'm kind of bored already. I have over 200 pop and all the amenities and a surplus of all resources. Apart from collecting seeds and animals there isn't much else to do other than just expand to fill the map. I think there need to be more technology advancements to shoot for.
Posted 01:19pm 23/2/14
There certainly needs to be more challenging things going on. Disasters need to be a bit more often. Things like Berries and mushrooms and whatnot should provide much less nourishment than say a mutton or fish.

More Advanced goods that require buildings. So steel should require a smelter, So to make steel tools you would need that smelter, iron and coal.
Great works for extra happiness. That sort of stuff.
paveway
Posted 01:50pm 23/2/14
the guy could make a bajillion from DLC from this game

cocaine.jpg
Posted 03:28pm 23/2/14
It's pretty telling of how bad Simcity is when 1 guy by his own can make a game in the same genera as Simcity but far more playable and engaging. In less time too.

All this game needs is a bit more content and a little more challenge in the end game, basically a reason to expand your population beyond 100 or so people.
Posted 03:33pm 23/2/14

Great works for extra happiness. That sort of stuff.

Try the achievements. I just went for uneducated and no trade with 300 ppl. It was fucking hard work. Once I got it, everything collapsed though and I lost 90% of my population. When you get to 250+ you need educated people to support the population numbers with whatever infrastructure you have.
Posted 03:34pm 23/2/14
On what map size?
paveway
Posted 03:36pm 23/2/14
multiplayer could be awesome too, trading resources between cities and shit

ie. doing it right unlike simcity
Phooks
Posted 04:32pm 23/2/14
So how do you manage the disasters? From what I can gather in a fire you put heaps of labourers in and remove all other labourer tasks, and for a famine you turn off buildings and remove vendors to try and isolate a certain part of town to die off?
Posted 05:22pm 23/2/14
On what map size?

Largest. Always largest.

I haven't worked out a way to deal with famine. There are times when food gets low, but when almost everyone dies it's too hard to recover I find. Other disasters I just try to minimise the damage and then just rebuild. It's all you can do. Spacing our houses is good too.
paveway
Posted 07:08pm 23/2/14
just had a fire come through and destroy most of my houses and storage shed destoying all my food and not too long pretty much my whole population died

had a well, didn't seem to do anything

Rage-Face.jpg
natslovR
Posted 08:07pm 23/2/14
Thanks for the tips I'm doing much better now. I'm having to use the trading house as extra storage, and now that you are guys are talking about disasters i'm worried i've got everything too close together.

this is very fun.
Trauma
Posted 09:44pm 23/2/14
I know that feel pave, spread out my storage barns now.
Posted 10:14pm 23/2/14
Trading house as a controlled storage is highly recommended. It is how you deal with famine imo, it wont save you for prolonged (ie 4+ years) of famine but it can be the difference from keeping starvation at bay whilst you build food production or spiraling into an out of control famine shutdown.
natslovR
Posted 10:30pm 23/2/14
I only just added them in to my game in the last hour. They work really neat. My town is split by a mountain with storage barn on both sides, but I probably didn't need the second storage if only i'd learnt about markets earlier.
paveway
Posted 10:35pm 23/2/14
After walking away from the computer for a bit out of rage i started again and i'm planning on planting a well on at least 2 corners if not all 4 corners of my storage barn this time - it's the only way to be sure

The 1 well i had last time wasn't that close to my barn, the fire start up across from my well and worked it's way right around my town jn a U shape before being stopped near the well
Posted 08:11am 24/2/14

I'm not sure the wells are working as intended. The civvies get their water from rivers too, and I had a lot of wells and was building on the 2 river banks and the side of a lake, yet the fire still ravaged everything (they do collect water from the wells and river) so I dunno, maybe I'm still doing something wrong.

this is very fun.

Spread out your houses too. I usually have them grouped together in 3s, then have a small gap. I also put storage barns all over the place. Generally have them near areas and spread out as much as possible. You shouldn't be strapped for room if you play on the large map. Also try to keep your main hub as close to a shore and trade river as possible. It'll help once you start trading.
Posted 08:35am 24/2/14
I've had citizens take water from a well. A fire started and it took them half a season to get the idea they need to put it out. People walked past it and thought, that's nice a building on fire, then walked on.

Seems many other priorities are higher then putting out the raging inferno in the middle of town?
paveway
Posted 08:43am 24/2/14
i watched people keep using the houses and placing supplies inside the burning houses ...
beau
Posted 02:58pm 24/2/14

I noticed there is an option for specifying an area of higher-priority. Its an upward arrow under the same tab as modifying citizens jobs etc.
This is useful if you need houses but resources are spent on other things. I'd imagine the same thing goes for fires.
Posted 04:11pm 24/2/14
Yeah the priority button is a bit whack it doesn't give you any feed back if it did anything or not. You would think putting out a fire in the middle of town to be the biggest priority in the game and wouldn't need a priority button click
ph33x
Posted 04:13pm 24/2/14
The fact you're all talking about the game and not complaining about it is a good sign.

How large is the game installed? I have a massive 6GB of space on my computer left over.
Posted 04:19pm 24/2/14
Well it takes a mammoth 130 megs of HDD, you may need to upgrade and be sure to save room for the 3-15meg save games!

Be warned it is a bit of a self-propelled game in that once you master the mechanics there is nothing left to do except basically expand for expansions sake, or do achievements if that is your thing.
It can be modded though apparently.

ph33x
Posted 04:33pm 24/2/14
Hmm, sounds like Europa Universalis where once you smash France/Russia/UK you may as well start again unless chasing tiny islands is your bag..
Andrewus
Posted 05:37pm 24/2/14
I haven't played this game nearly enough - so for those of us with somewhat limited time to play, it is a great little game!
Very enjoyable
Nerf Stormborn
Posted 06:22pm 24/2/14
Fuck it. Bought. This better not be as boring as the pre-release videos made it look...

Well, the music's better than I expected.
paveway
Posted 06:23pm 24/2/14
prepare to die
Monkeez
Posted 06:29pm 24/2/14
I played it for about 30 minutes and it seemed like fun but the UI was too damn small on my laptop. I could barely read a thing which made it hard to look at resource levels without getting a headache. Is there some option to scale the UI that I have missed?
Posted 06:36pm 24/2/14
Yup, in the options screen under Game, it's called User Interface Scale...
Posted 06:48pm 24/2/14

It can be modded though apparently.

Once he's ironed out the bugs and stuff from launch he will be working on fully functional mod tools and linux/mac support.

Yeah, I hate that it gives no feedback. The fact too, that when you get them to start clearing iron or stone from the ground they tend to prioritise that over everything else. Even if they are designated as farmers and it's spring.

I still don't think putting our fires works properly. I had another fire today and I had about 30 people throwing water on it, yet it kept spreading quite fast. I would like to see some better feedback on the effectiveness of their firefighting (say a bar to show how many more buckets to put it out or something) as it just looks like they're stopping what they're doing to deliver stuff to the fire.

It has niggling issues, but otherwise it's really solid and a lot of fun. I've started to achievement hunt in my games, so I'm currently doing that in this game. They're quite challenging, even though they look easy. I like that it's a game you can play while doing other stuff too and it's pretty relaxing to play.
beau
Posted 07:27pm 24/2/14
all things said, now that it's released after 4 years of development, that developer should hire some extra staff to fix up the bugs and what-not. Hope it doesn't take another half-decade to fix if he's going at it alone.
paveway
Posted 08:05pm 24/2/14
4 years isn't bad considering he was probably making the game around working a day job

This will certainly kick start his own business

Hopefully he doesn't turn into a douche like the minecraft creator
Posted 07:24am 25/2/14

This will certainly kick start his own business

Hopefully he doesn't turn into a douche like the minecraft creator

I don't think he's going to turn in to a douche. He's been very humble and wouldn't allow preorders until he had a finished product. He's been very transparent about the whole thing too, which is good.

Notch and Mojang as a whole are full of douche bags that make promises that never get delivered on. (also Peter Molyneux and Godus is another one)
Monkeez
Posted 02:37pm 25/2/14
Yup, in the options screen under Game, it's called User Interface Scale...

Thanks for the tip!
Phooks
Posted 02:38pm 25/2/14
also Peter Molyneux and Godus everything he has touched in the last decade
d^
Posted 05:27pm 05/3/14
Tried this game the other night, it's pretty brutal for keeping your population alive.
Nerf Stormborn
Posted 05:51pm 05/3/14
I think I'm too good at games, I just put down farms and firewood cutters on my 2nd attempt and seemed to have perpetually enough food and wood... Maybe there was a plague or something that would have wiped me out, but then Thief happened...
paveway
Posted 06:59pm 05/3/14
is there any benefit of planting wheat or cabbage or corn or peppers or whatever over any of those other types that you can grow at the farms?
copuis
Posted 07:11pm 05/3/14
not that I can see, it does look like they all have slightly different times that they complete the harvest tho

i've also noticed that the more types of food, the healthier my peeps are, so a mix would be the best idea
Posted 07:18pm 05/3/14

Better yields generally. They are seasonal though.
You must be logged in to post a comment. Log in now!