to the moon, athena
AusGamers caught up with 2K Australia and Randy Pitchford to discuss the recently revealed Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and why Australia is making an impact on the moon. Click for more!
Welcome to Planet Nexus
We take a brief dip in the MMO pool with Carbine Studios' WildStar, and find out just what Planet Nexus has in store for us. Check it out in our preview for more!
oracle of ages
Batman: Arkham Knight is set to be Rocksteady's final in the Arkham series, so it's fitting that it's just so damn big. And Batmobiles. Nuff said. Click for more!
Trial By Dirt Bike
We take a look at the fourth title in the Trials series, and the first to hit next-gen platforms. Does it live up to the name? Find out in our review!
Post by Eorl @ 04:50pm 05/02/14 | 82 Comments
Elder Scrolls Online developer Zenimax Online has issued a quick heads up that a new batch of Mac and PC beta invites have been sent out for the subscription-based MMORPG, with promises that even more players will be exploring the world of Tamriel this weekend.

As you rush to check your email account in hopes of seeing those glorious "You've Been Invited to Our Beta" words, don’t forget to take a peek in your spam folder, and if you use Gmail, remember to look in the “promotions” tab to see if you got invited.

As with their previous beta weekends, this one is no exception to the game's NDA, so be mindful when sharing content from the still in-development title including screens, videos, streams, etc. If you don't happen to nab a key via email, Curse is also handing out keys to their premium members so get in quick.

The Elder Scrolls Online will be available on PC and Mac come April 4th, with PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions hitting shelves sometime in June.

Posted 04:59pm 05/2/14
fingers crossed
Deviouz
Posted 05:01pm 05/2/14
I got mine email subject was "Help us break the record" so almost overlooked. Im still interested, but not as keen as I was 6 months ago
Mantorok
Posted 05:03pm 05/2/14
The bugginess of an Elder Scrolls game combined with the bugginess of an open beta? Shouldn't that tear the universe apart or something?
HurricaneJim
Posted 05:23pm 05/2/14
Got mine, but hey I always get it...always...
DM
Posted 05:41pm 05/2/14
I got a beta key for the next test they are doing but I've already used a friends account to see the game and it doesn't interest me all that much. So... key up for grabs anyone?
Posted 05:48pm 05/2/14
Yeah, I got one of the keys from Curse, seems they're being pretty open with the keys now, Curse is giving away 500,000 of them.
bocca
Posted 06:36pm 05/2/14
Got my beta key...been down loading for 3 hours Arrgghh
Posted 06:39pm 05/2/14
no key :(
Audi
Posted 06:46pm 05/2/14
Cruse want me to have premium membership. Sigh..
Posted 06:50pm 05/2/14

over here please sir
Ickus
Posted 07:05pm 05/2/14
I will happily accept a key if people have spares liing around gathering dust or something.
kappa
Posted 07:12pm 05/2/14

lol
filch
Posted 07:13pm 05/2/14
any chance the 21gb dl be hosted on ausgamers... on bigpond wireless need it to be unmetered dl... on a 8 gb plan... not worth another $100 to bump up to 25gb for beta...
Ice9ine
Posted 08:04pm 05/2/14
Got mine today. So damn happy!!
Eorl
Posted 08:13pm 05/2/14
I'll look into it tomorrow for you filch :-)
WirlWind
Posted 09:01pm 05/2/14
This is the chance to find out how terribly it plays on Australian latency. Beta's for all the new action mmorpg's allow you to see just enough that you wish you were in the US, but are laggy enough to annoy you into not playing.

People say this shit is the future of MMO's... Well not here it's not.
Toxus
Posted 10:12pm 05/2/14
Lol funny thing is I have been trying and failing all the wildstar key giveaways and have failed so today I got key for this in mail and I don't even want it haha so my friend got it
Hogfather
Posted 10:43pm 05/2/14
Got mine.

Expectations of a buggy laggy as shit stress test but should be worth a look around.
Rominion
Posted 03:39am 06/2/14
Sigh, i didn't get mine. Pissed off. If anyone gets one they don't want send me an email at Grantkerr@y7mail.com Thanks.
Fuzzy
Posted 08:08am 06/2/14
So anyone who's had the chance to play, what's the verdict?

TufNuT
Posted 09:58am 06/2/14
got my key through curse as well, look forward to seeing what they have done with the game.

So anyone who's had the chance to play, what's the verdict?

people who are playing are under an NDA so they cant really comment on the game.
Posted 10:46am 06/2/14
and i just received a key after DM gave me his. first person to quote me gets it.
Eorl
Posted 10:51am 06/2/14
So anyone who's had the chance to play, what's the verdict?

konstie
Posted 11:43am 06/2/14

quoted

but I think I've also seen you say this before:

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”

and once you uttered:

“In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.”

inspiring.
Ha
Posted 12:22pm 06/2/14
So anyone who's had the chance to play, what's the verdict? I've been hearing reading bad things from current beta testers.... But those sources are less the credible.

i've brought this up in another thread but i doubt it is going to make money back on 200 million dollars
Mordecai
Posted 01:32pm 06/2/14

Even the coming stress test this weekend is under NDA.
Game launches in two months and everything is still under NDA? yeah doesn't sound good to me. Especially when Everquest Next said no NDA, post what you want, stream it etc.
tHeBoRg
Posted 01:40pm 06/2/14
The press/media have their NDA for the game removed on Friday(Saturday our time) so we should start seeing a lot more info about the game. Though most of us will be able to draw our own conclusions from this weekends stress test...unless the servers implode.
Eorl
Posted 02:04pm 06/2/14

Even the coming stress test this weekend is under NDA.
EverQuest Next Landmark is an exception, you are paying to get into an Alpha version, and it will eventually be free-to-play. From the email received, it looks like the NDA for Elder Scrolls Online will most likely be lifting soon, and an open beta shortly.

I can understand the frustration around NDA's, but they do help in the end by holding back comments on content that may not necessarily be finished or represent the finished product. Don't worry though, you'll see a lot of information shortly and it isn't all that bad :)
Roshan
Posted 05:18pm 06/2/14
dang i tried to make a premiummember ship over at curse the link wouldnt work THEY DONT WANT MY MONEYZZZ. ide love a key off anyone if they have ;D Ravn0s hint hint
Jayman
Posted 06:04pm 06/2/14
I've downloaded it but the beta doesn't begin until Friday, Saturday I assume for us.
Lynx
Posted 06:15pm 06/2/14
I got a beta key though I have no idea why.
From what I have heard, much of the lore has been ignored. Also the screenshots I have seen so far are sub Age of Conan (2008) quality.
Posted 06:51pm 06/2/14

sorry already given it away. curse will be offering keys to non premium members tomorrow though.
Eorl
Posted 07:10pm 06/2/14
Curse's non-membership keys are up for grabs now, get 'em while they are hot!
I got a beta key though I have no idea why.
Lore is still very well intact, though it has been considered non-canon just like WoW is for Warcraft. Also no MMO will ever look as good as Age of Conan did, that was a very big exception to the genre.
ctd
Posted 08:05pm 06/2/14
i signed up for this even though I have no intentions of ever playing it.

Key
EKJ6MDXT5G56P6KJ4K9P
Signup page

gogogoog
Tanaka Khan
Posted 08:12pm 06/2/14
Cheers ctd, I nabbed that off you
BladeRunner
Posted 08:53pm 06/2/14
Went to curse and got one. I fear this will not be a good game. Messing up the lore/canon is not great. They should put that 200mil towards TES 6 and perhaps hire another voice actor or 2.
konstie
Posted 10:19am 07/2/14
We attempted to reach Bethesda, publishers of the The Elder Scrolls series, for a comment regarding this rumor; however, a representative for the company told us that they have never heard of a game called The Elder Scrolls Online.

hahaha. ZeniMax Debunks Elder Scrolls Online 200M Budget Rumor: We Couldn’t Have Wasted That Much Money
tHeBoRg
Posted 10:23am 07/2/14
If you want to see some gameplay from the last beta there is a video on Twitch which for some reason has not been removed which shows some character creation and the 1st few opening quests...

LordHelyi
Posted 11:39am 07/2/14
Looks completely terrible.

madigan
Posted 12:11pm 07/2/14
Any one else not being able to get on to Beta for the stress test? Or is it just me?

Bethesda stated 12:00 (noon) EDT 7/2/2014

Which was ten minutes ago :/
tHeBoRg
Posted 12:34pm 07/2/14

That is American time not our local time...it translates to 4:00am Saturday morning Melbourne time.
Tanaka Khan
Posted 12:35pm 07/2/14
It starts Sat morning for aussies
Hogfather
Posted 02:31pm 07/2/14
might be playable mid-morning after my weekly pigfeast
Ickus
Posted 03:44pm 07/2/14
F-me... I only just got a key to my gmail account.

Guess I have something to download tonight then.
Eorl
Posted 03:46pm 07/2/14

For those looking to download the game locally, we now have the full 28GB client up on our servers. Have at it!

Posted 05:02pm 07/2/14
it only took a little over an hour to download it through their client the other night. i was very surprised.
filch
Posted 05:34pm 07/2/14
Thank you Eorl!! Wife and I can now try the beta this weekend.
DK
Posted 07:30pm 07/2/14
Fuck. Got a key but I am away for work this weekend. Maybe it's a sign not to get back into my mmo days
Tanaka Khan
Posted 08:04pm 07/2/14
Or maybe a sign to quit work DK??
filch
Posted 08:24am 08/2/14
Unsure but after 13gb the file stopped downloading and file no longer available.
Tanaka Khan
Posted 08:57am 08/2/14
Oh man I'm really enjoying it so far!!!
Eorl
Posted 09:11am 08/2/14

Sadly we've been asked to take down the client by Bethesda due to some data-sensitive stuff.

If anyone is in-game, add @froodleme to your friend list, I'd love to play around and I'll invite you to the guild I temporarily made so you can check that one out.
filch
Posted 09:17am 08/2/14
np mate, 7 weeks left till release. Friend is also playing beta so I may just have to take a few hours drive to get the files.
demon
Posted 10:03am 08/2/14
ahh i wondered what happened to the ausgamers file :( i also got a few gigs then it went really slow.
fired up the zenimax dl launcher & it was getting s solid 2megs a sec.
woke up this morning & it's all dl'ed but my login is timing out every time.
s'all good! will have a play tonight & get acquainted with stuff.
Twisted
Posted 10:58am 08/2/14
Open beta is just this weekend?
Posted 11:01am 08/2/14
/sigh

Eorl
Posted 11:27am 08/2/14
icon7.gif
Open beta is just this weekend?

Yep, just this weekend. Also seems I'm actually on a completely different server sadly, so I'll have to switch over to normal server.
Posted 02:01pm 08/2/14
Only played a few hours so far, and I'm not sure what I think. Definitely feels like an Elder Scrolls game, but I'm still not sure that makes it a good MMO. Combat works so far in the early stages, but I can't help but think forwards to endgame stuff or raiding and it just seems like it'd be really clunky in that kind of scenario. Theres also not enough feedback for my liking, like no castbars or anything to show what the enemy is doing, and no real feedback on how much damage my attacks are doing or if I'm missing or glancing, etc. Sure you can read some of that from the animations and such, and thats fine early in the game where the threats are small and stuff isn't chaotic, but when on a larger scale, its just not going to cut it.

Anyway, its fun, its a good Elder Scrolls game, but so far, just not convinced its a good MMO.
groganus
Posted 02:40pm 08/2/14
I'm not impressed at all, the game is far to solo friendly and I felt like I was playing a laggy elder scrolls game. Once I unlocked abilities I felt it was more mmo like, but no one wanted to group and I found no real reason to either. With out the social element I really can't be bothered.

Also the story didn't capture my attention and I ended up skipping dialogue, This mmo isn't for me and it offers very little that's new or ground breaking.

I always wanted to play ES games with friends in a co-op fashion and I imagined that they would add co-op to the series well before going down the MMO path, rather than having a cool interactive world they now have a boring world that feels dead and lacking life. All the wonderful small details that made elder scroll games unique are gone.

There are quite a few things I didn't like, missed or scratched my head wondering why..

This game would be cool game if it wasn't associated with such an open world series of games that are known for dropping you in a live place and letting you run wild.

2/10 (thanks for adding another boring mmo to the world and thanks for tarnishing a great brand with a sub par product).
TufNuT
Posted 02:54pm 08/2/14
anyone know how long this down time is going to go for? just started to get into the game and now the servers are down for maintenance.

play the game for a few hours and slam it.. GG, this is why NDA's are in force, its an MMO takes time for things to happen. I personally have never found skyrim or oblivion to be fun, but I will reserve judgement of this game until I have played more. it ways too early to be making those kind of calls IMO.
Tanaka Khan
Posted 03:10pm 08/2/14
It's up!
groganus
Posted 03:24pm 08/2/14

At the end of the day what I said was true, Elder Scrolls games are notoriously known and adored for there open living breathing world, this game lacks it. As an example, in the first few minutes of the game I was given the option to pick a weapon, I picked one.. and then went' sweet ill grab this and that as well.. but nooo I've made my choice and everything else is locked down now... This is the complete opposite of how Elder Scroll games work.

I never expected to have the exact same rule-set that Elder Scrolls single player presents, but I never thought that they would restrict it as much as it has been restricted.

They grabed the Elder Scrolls Lore and dumped it on top of an MMO, added a few niche's to try and give it a similar feel, but ultimately in my opinion they have failed to capture the real Elder Scrolls feeling.

I didn't even get into how the UI is clearly built for consoles and how time consuming navigating through menus is (Which is once again stupid for an MMO).
Or
How clunky combat is and how unintuitive it feels.
Or
How quests are they same as they are in any mmo.

All of these things may be minor to some people and major to others, that's up to anyone who plays it to decide. I personally won't waste any more time playing a game that feels and plays like every other mmo before it.

Also all that aside I had some fun playing the game (Which lets face it, this is the most important aspect to any game), just not enough to justify it becoming a time sink.
deadlyf
Posted 03:38pm 08/2/14
This is pretty much Skyrim, the animations are clunky and you feel like your character is floating rather than being a real part of the environment. I wish they had made a lot of changes, I'm guessing they want a balance between an Elder Scrolls game and an MMO but things like having a million pointless searchable pots could have been done away with IMO.

I also find their character art and animation to go well into the uncanny valley territory, it all just feels off. Third person is painful, I've been sticking with first person view which kind of seems weird in an MMO.

The menus seem slightly improved over Skyrim, they are still pretty bad but not Skyrim bad.

Like other Bethesda games everything is voiced except your character, you choose a "voice" which at this point I think is the same voice actor for each option but that may be a beta thing, your character only ever seems to grunt though so I don't think it matters. It's cool that everything is voiced but the quests seem very old fashioned bread crumb style with plenty of distractions so you never really feel like any of them are important, they are just there to get xp.

I'm enjoying the combat somewhat, it's very boring at the start but things improve greatly when you learn some actual abilities. It's too early to judge whether if it will become more complex as it continues, I hope it does because Skyrim became a real snore-fest later on since there was no variation in enemy attack. Like Khel said there is no feed back but then it doesn't tell you what you have looted either if you turn auto loot on so I'm hoping it is simply something not implemented yet rather than something intended.

Ultimately this game will have to be judged on it's end game, it's large scale events and it's PvP like every other MMO and at this stage I can't even imagine how that will appear.
TufNuT
Posted 03:52pm 08/2/14

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. but I would like to think since there is the ability to load addons, things like this can be resolved through the modding community.
Zapo
Posted 03:48pm 08/2/14
Guys, just remember this game is still under an NDA.....
Posted 03:57pm 08/2/14
few media previews have said it gets a lot better after the starting area.

and it looks like the server is down again.

last edited by ravn0s at 15:57:04 08/Feb/14
Hogfather
Posted 05:09pm 08/2/14
Server is up, going to give this a bash and see if it does get a lot better into 10+

@HogfatherAU

edit - lots of trouble lgging into the non-starter world bits maybe the main world is down
Posted 05:56pm 08/2/14
@Khelzor is mine
Posted 06:17pm 08/2/14
@ravn0s is mine.
BladeRunner
Posted 06:50pm 08/2/14
I had a go, the FOV seem off which annoyed. I like how there is crafting type loot in more places then you can shake a mud crab at. Not keen on the combat so far but ill see how it goes.
Posted 10:40pm 08/2/14
can't get off the damn starter island. it stays on the loading screen forever.
Posted 10:56pm 08/2/14
Crashed on me earlier and I haven't been able to get back in, just sits at "Requesting character load..." forever
Posted 11:06pm 08/2/14
i get that too but it eventually loads after a few mins. i just tried to get to auridon again and it dropped me to the login screen after 10 mins of loading.

last edited by ravn0s at 23:06:56 08/Feb/14
deadlyf
Posted 12:35am 09/2/14
yeah I'm at the requesting character load at the moment, took abut 5 minutes last time so it does work eventually. Log-in issues and server crashes are pretty standard for a beta test

I've had to close the game a couple of times now after talking to an NPC and it doesn't end correctly so I'm locked into frame with the NPC with no dialogue options and no way to move or do anything. Other than that, a few lag issues and the occasional crate that can't be opened it's been relatively smooth.

When is this game being released? I'm guessing it's still months away.
Posted 11:23pm 08/2/14
releases first week of april.

i've gone and made another character since the other wont load.
Posted 12:52am 09/2/14
If you get locked in a conversation with an NPC, /reloadui seems to fix it, has worked for me the few times its happened. I got stuck in a crafting screen the same way and it worked to get out of that too.

I'm enjoying it, despite the bugs and stuff, but I'm not sure I'm enjoying it enough to pay a sub for it.

Edit: Heh, just had a new bug! All my sound disappeared :(
demon
Posted 10:10am 09/2/14
i have found that if you get stuck in a convo with an npc you can use the 'groups' tab to 'travel to player' & basically teleport to the castle thingo in the centre of the island.

i gotta say that part of it ... finding your co-op buddies.. kinda sucks. i get distracted for a few seconds & i can't find my buddies anymore.. even on the map their 'triangles' are hard to see at certain spots. it needs markers on your compass for your buddies... or something like that.

i also have had the huuuuuge load times for some re-logins.. but other times it was pretty quick (by comparison).
Posted 10:35am 09/2/14
judging by the eso forums, lots of people are having problems logging in and loading zones.
TufNuT
Posted 10:58am 09/2/14
well at the moment even the launcher is having issues, mine has been sitting on loading defaults for about 10 minutes now.. this when its sitting on an SSD. obviously it must be waiting for the site to respond.

Edit: finally logged into the game and now I am sitting in a 56 minute queue... I guess this would be standard issues for a beta since it would have limited resources.. still though judging for wow and other games the queues are probably going to be terrible for the first few months of the game going live... well for those who bought the game anyway.
deadlyf
Posted 12:40pm 09/2/14
I'm in a much shorter queue only had to wait a couple of minutes, they must have a few servers running but I don't remember picking one perhaps it's merely based on zones?

There is a few little things I think they could do to improve the MMO experience. One is using the launcher to log in with, should go straight to character screen from the launcher instead of having to load through the logos and then the login screen all before getting to the character screen. I'm also finding the chat to be pretty difficult to follow and I can't see any options to fix the fact that it is all the one yellow blob.

I'm actually finding the environments to be really good, people have been complaining about the graphics which is weird since it is maybe even better than GW2 which I would say holds the title at the moment for best environments. The characters are another story, very samey and the gear looks like it's pasted on.
Hogfather
Posted 12:52pm 09/2/14
Played through a few hours and finished the starter island. It gets better as the world opens up but the inherent issues remain.

The compromises necessary to translate the ES gameplay to an MMO architecture just made me wish I was playing a huge Skyrim expansion. The MMO side was ruining a gameplay experience that could have been a lot more fun single player, or as a non-massively multiplayer co-op game.

Passing on this one.
Keato
Posted 11:42am 10/2/14
I played a Staff Templar, heal spec'd, its a nightmare to heal.. real hard to target, no name plates so i can focus on my friends and ignore pugs, rip through mana something chronic. Did the world event and could not keep people alive, in the end gave up and just throw down my 3 AOE heal wells and went OOM and stood blocking agro.. not fun.

I'm going to pass.
You must be logged in to post a comment. Log in now!