to the moon, athena
AusGamers caught up with 2K Australia and Randy Pitchford to discuss the recently revealed Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and why Australia is making an impact on the moon. Click for more!
Welcome to Planet Nexus
We take a brief dip in the MMO pool with Carbine Studios' WildStar, and find out just what Planet Nexus has in store for us. Check it out in our preview for more!
oracle of ages
Batman: Arkham Knight is set to be Rocksteady's final in the Arkham series, so it's fitting that it's just so damn big. And Batmobiles. Nuff said. Click for more!
Trial By Dirt Bike
We take a look at the fourth title in the Trials series, and the first to hit next-gen platforms. Does it live up to the name? Find out in our review!
Post by Eorl @ 11:12am 25/01/14 | 23 Comments
When Eidos Montreal unveiled that they would be taking the reins on a new Thief title, the reception was that of a mixed bag. Some were intrigued as to what Eidos could bring to the table when it came to the Thief world, while others felt that a "reboot" of a classic spelt disaster for the name. With the release getting ever closer, it is time to peel back the curtains and see just what Eidos Montreal has in-store for both the old and the new fans of the series.

To help us in our dimly lit adventures is the light-footed virtual thief himself, Joab Gilroy, and his arsenal of knowledge to see whether this rebooted title may just surprise some.
When you finish a game like Thief, you don't sit down to talk about the narrative. You talk with your mates about how you used a water arrow on one torch and a fire arrow on another to confuse some guards while you stole a necklace. Or how you managed to finish lockpicking a door mere moments before a guard returned on his patrol.
Check out all of Joaby's thoughts in his full preview on Eidos Montreal's rebooted Thief.

Buy now from Green Man Gaming for only GBP£42.99 (USD$49.99 on Steam)!

BladeRunner
Posted 11:52pm 25/1/14
I have never played a thief game, I think i did play a demo of one of them about 12 years ago or something. Ill keep an eye on this.
ravn0s
Posted 12:05am 26/1/14
i watched a few gameplay vids that were released today. i never played the previous games so it looks fairly good to me. a lot of thief fans are pissed off however.
Joaby
Posted 10:43am 26/1/14
The absence of a jump button is pissing off a lot of fans, but I found the level design to be amazing enough that I didn't miss it at all.
Nerf Stormborn
Posted 11:28am 26/1/14
Big thief fan here, not as pissed off as I was. They've removed much of what was bad after fans complained about it, and added some interesting mechanics to keep both the dumbification elements - such as quest pointers and enemy alert indicators (probably needed to play in a noisy room or on a console) - balanced against the original experience, by giving a ranked score based on how many of those helper systems you turn off at the start.

I pre-ordered today from GMG, $50 down to $31.50 if you use both the 10% pre-order discount and the discount code DE1PDN-CS6BOF-PR9AVM

While the changed voice actor and apparent removal of the old factions is still a huge fail, I'm holding out hope that there's some tentative connection to the old story that they haven't revealed yet, as they keep advertising it as Garrett not knowing where he's been, and have said a few times that it's not a reboot, it's some sort of "side thing", and also made mentions of having the original voice actor in before deciding to go with this new guy (which seems, I dunno, curious). There was always a running subplot that Garrett might be a god himself, but one of balance, fighting the other two, so it could make sense for him to be sort of 'reborn'.
Audi
Posted 11:07pm 26/1/14
Loved the first few games. Pretty pumped for this.
Good info Joab, you played on PC yeah? Grfx good yeah?
Joaby
Posted 11:23pm 26/1/14
They were pretty adamant that it was a reboot during their powerpoint presentation, Stormborn. I wouldn't hold hope for the factions to return.

Yeah, I played it on PC, pretty sexy. Didn't find out what the specs on the machine were, but I'm sure whatever 3 gfx cards you're currently running can handle it Audi.
Eorl
Posted 12:45am 27/1/14
Only thing I'm annoyed about is the contextual water arrows and jumping, but I think I've gotten over that after seeing the gigantic list of customisation options. It just sucks that they had to move away from the choice of freedom, could have been a real old-school Thief but next-gen/Dishonored feel to it but ah well, can't have everything.
dais
Posted 01:15am 27/1/14
If it's a reboot then why does Garrett have the mechanical eye from Thief 2?

Please excuse my ignorance if this has already been answered.
Joaby
Posted 09:46am 27/1/14
It seems like it's not a mechanical eye but a magic eye. There's a lot from the story that's missing atm, I think it will be revealed.
sLaps_Forehead
Posted 11:16am 27/1/14
Sounds like another reboot fuck up.
RuleofBooKz
Posted 11:31am 27/1/14
I never finished Dishonored. I just got bogged down and stopped playing after the whore house mission. So not that far in. Its not that it was a bad game it just didnt hold my attention. Keep meaning to go back and complete but never seem to get around to it.

I liked the original thief, played the free demo level to death. I think i got it off a disc on the cover of some gamer mag. Never played the others in the series. This looks ok tho. Maybe like the Hitman reboot its best not to go in with nostalgia goggles and just take it as a fresh offering? Thats how i will be playing it.
Nerf Stormborn
Posted 11:34am 27/1/14

Fuck me, I completely forgot that I have dishonored and bioshock infinite to play, don't know what I'm doing with my life.

Also got bored of dishonored not far in, found the conversations really awkward and weird and never ending, was okay but just didn't grip me.
DM
Posted 04:09pm 27/1/14
No jump button? Whaaaaat? What a terrible thing to axe in a game this day and age. Also the lack of Stephen Russell is a huge minus to me but will still pick this game up because I love this series so much. Hope this reboot turns out for the better.
Viper119
Posted 03:34am 28/1/14
I loved Dishonored, an original Thief on that engine would have me very happy.

Sounds liked a mixed bag, no jump button? Will defo buy/play and see how it goes though.
cherocha
Posted 12:01pm 28/1/14
Two paragraphs about the menu? A paragraph talking about non-linear approaches as if the first one hadn't already nailed it 15 years ago? Takes it's cues from Deadly Shadows? Story's not that important in a Thief game? No Stephen Russell? Experience points? No Hammers, Pagans and Keepers?! No jump?!

I swear that write-up read like the Sarcastaball ep of South Park, because everything you said seems like a warning to fans of the originals that this one's going to be iffy as hell. The only way I'm going to enjoy it is if I pretend that it's not in the Thief world, because it seems like a complete departure from much of what made the originals so great.
Nerf Stormborn
Posted 12:05pm 28/1/14
No experience points, they took them out after fan disapproval, same with most or all QTEs.
cherocha
Posted 12:09pm 28/1/14
At least they're listening, I guess. Now about those factions...
Joaby
Posted 12:59pm 28/1/14
I didn't say the story wasn't important, I said it wasn't very good. And I said it took the hub-style level design angle from Deadly Shadows.

And I don't get it. I talk about non-linear approaches and apparently I'm ignoring what the early games did (instead of pointing out the very obvious similarities, which was my intention) but apparently pointing out that it does things similar to the old games makes it sound like it's not going to be like the old games and holy fuck who even knows.

My biggest regret with this preview though is that I snuck everywhere and the one time I got spotted, I immediately reloaded from my last save. So other previews are yapping about how combat with the guards is easy (though you have to upgrade into the 'counter with blackjack' focus ability if you want to have any chance at all - and you can actually turn off "focus" in those menus I talked too much about), but because I'm not shithouse at sneaking I never got to see it.
PRiME
Posted 02:34pm 28/1/14
Prediction on Day 1 Jump Mod/Hack
Nerf Stormborn
Posted 03:45pm 28/1/14
Tbh combat was never as hard in the originals as fans make it out to be, the first time I played through I sniped/sword fought a whole heap of stuff, it was only really burricks/haunts/karris mechanical things that couldn't be sword-fought, archers occasionally, and maybe those things in constantine's basement.
ravn0s
Posted 08:38pm 28/1/14
here's a vid detailing the gameplay customisation options. looks like you can make it pretty hardcore.

cherocha
Posted 09:21pm 28/1/14

I wasn't criticising the preview. I was criticising the game for not giving you better material to write about. Non-linearity in a Thief game should be a simple box tick, then you should be able to pour over the wonderful innovations that are going to elevate the franchise to heights that Deadly Shadows failed to do.
koopz
Posted 08:45pm 30/1/14

maybe I'm alone here...

At the time of Thief 1, I found the Thief series beyond my patience and tolerance levels at first.

I make my own 'trainers' for pretty much every program I have made or run on my own system.. because time is short.. there's only so many hours in the day, and there's too much to do.

...and I just want to see the story before I lose interest and then go onto the next game.

Thief was *very* hard to make my own alterations back in the day given my knowledge of the program, so I found myself actually pounding it thru and experiencing it as it was intended to be played. It's not a 1st person shooter - it's a puzzle -slash- FPS where you aren't supposed to harm any non playing characters! Who knew?!?!

I guess what I am saying here is that 'Thief' was my ex-tro to existing 'survival' based FPS and my in-tro to story-telling based gaming.

I can see why so many geeks read idiotic fiction paperbacks.

They need to YouTube more content - and then go again in languages other than English.

last edited by koopz at 20:45:59 30/Jan/14
You must be logged in to post a comment. Log in now!