advanced warning: fun
AusGamers was given a chance to not only get hands-on with a portion of the multiplayer from Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, but to also chat with Sledgehammer's Michael Condrey!
couch slayer
Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition is now upon us, but it might as well be called "definitive edition". Read our review to find out why - click here!
Resident Evil Within
The Evil Within is creeping up just around the release corner, so we decided to take a look back at Shinji Mikami's incredible Resident Evil 4. Click here for more!
fella!
Wrapping up a tour in Australia and with Summerslam dominating August, we had a chance to chat with the Great White himself, Sheamus! Check it out right here!
Post by Eorl @ 10:39am 18/01/14 | 18 Comments
Those looking at pre-purchasing the upcoming Warlords of Draenor expansion for long-running MMO World of Warcraft will be happy to hear that Blizzard are now making the boost to level 90 bonus available ahead of the expansions launch.

The announcement was made in a status report on the official website, which revealed that alongside the level 90 boost to one character, the extra fluff content like collector's edition mount and pet will also be made available on pre-purchase of the expansion.

"That’s a little different from the plan we laid out at BlizzCon, but based on the feedback, it’s obvious that many of you would like the chance to get acquainted with a new class before heading into the expansion. This will also give more players the opportunity to experience the current end-game content and the events leading up to Garrosh’s exodus to Draenor. Maybe you’ll get your Legendary cloak from Wrathion and level 90–100 Heirloom weapon in the process."

In addition to offering the level 90 boost, Blizzard has also been "evaluating ways" to make it possible for players to purchase multiple character boosts through their new in-game store. This interesting new feature will be seen through the Public Test Realm soon, where players will be able to test and ensure it is up to scratch.

Warlords of Draenor will be available for purchase "soon" says Blizzard, with both standard and collector's edition as usual. The developer also stated that closed beta testing is soon at hand, so ensure you've got all your details up-to-scratch for your chance to be picked. No release date has yet been announced but we can expect it to be sometime this year.

Posted 12:48pm 18/1/14
I wonder if this still includes the the little 1 - 2 hour "new to 90" instanced experience they talked about at Blizzcon. How there'd be a little phased/instanced bit you did that introduced you more gradually to all your abilities after you boosted, kinda like the DK starting zone.

Thats the major downside I can see of the feature, if people who are new to the game (or haven't at least had a max level toon before) and still don't really have a handle on it boost straight to 90, it'd be incredibly overwhelming.
ph33x
Posted 12:57pm 18/1/14
Yep, legal ebay toons all over really.
Eorl
Posted 12:59pm 18/1/14
I presume there will be some tutorial Khel, but I highly doubt the number of new recruits is anywhere near that of veterans returning/continuing their adventures.

In saying that though, I've rejoined and I'm quite overwhelmed on my level 80 priest. So much has changed and I have no clue what is good and what is usable.
ph33x
Posted 01:02pm 18/1/14
Was it raid geared at 80 or did you boost?
Creepy
Posted 02:39pm 18/1/14
I was under the impression that the short instanced/phased (ala DK) bit mentioned at BlizzCon was for all lvl 90 players as they begin the new expansion - explaining the intro to the story and how the dark portal switches from green to red...
Eorl
Posted 02:48pm 18/1/14
Boosted 80 from the old RAF thing. I quit WoW about three months after Cataclysm came out, so a lot has changed :S
Posted 03:46pm 18/1/14
Yeah, I'm not sure Creepy, I just remembered them saying something about how a boosted to 90 toon would go through a kind of introductory bit where they learnt the abilities and how to use them step by step, instead of just being dropped straight in at 90 with everything. I guess its all pretty up in the air and open to changing though
DK
Posted 06:27pm 18/1/14
Looks like they going back to the lich king expansion days. Ez mode. Not a bad thing I found lich king fun. Cata was good at the start when it was somewhat challenging. Didn't play pandas
Crash
Posted 10:50am 20/1/14

I'm playing through at the moment with my girlfriend. I don't think the Pandaren starting area was anything special, but im really enjoying my character - playing a damage monk.

last edited by Crash at 10:50:28 20/Jan/14
Net
Posted 11:14am 20/1/14
I re-subscribed over the weekend, after telling myself that I won't need to play WoW ever again.

The game does feel a bit overwhelming in some areas, but amazingly I was able to jump onto my lvl 70 warrior and go straight into tanking dungeons.

But now I'm kinda excited about an early boost to 90 so I can try out a new class and decide what character I prefer and also get up their professions.
Raven
Posted 01:28pm 20/1/14
I wonder if my account has been pruned. It had a level 67 Hunter on it last time I played...
defi
Posted 01:32pm 20/1/14
I will resub for the free 90, means I will have every class 85+. Then will probably LFR a bit in the new exp and give up again.

I love running back and soloing old raids for nostalgia, probably the thing I still like most about the game. I miss MC and BWL glory days.
Posted 01:37pm 20/1/14
Don't think they ever get deleted, they get archived and don't show up on the armory after a while, but if you login and go to the server you used to be on they'll still be there. Might have lost your name though if it was one someone else wanted it, because you can put in a support ticket to get names being held by inactive toons.

Then will probably LFR a bit in the new exp and give up again.

Normal and Heroic difficulties are both going to be flex raid type of deal in WoD (can go with any number of people from 10 to 25), and cross realm too, should give you more options to do some more raids and a bit more challenging content as a casual player than just LFR.
Eorl
Posted 01:44pm 20/1/14
I'm still hesitant to jump into LFD as a holy priest, though I guess being a healer I don't have to pay attention :D
Jim
Posted 01:45pm 20/1/14
being lfr you don't have to pay attention
Keato
Posted 08:46am 21/1/14
Jim, whats the hype around the new expansion ?
Does it sound good? Still lots of people playing?

Been loving the WvW in GW2, but I heard this wow expansion will be good.
Eorl
Posted 09:05am 21/1/14
Jim, whats the hype around the new expansion ?
Does it sound good? Still lots of people playing?

Been loving the WvW in GW2, but I heard this wow expansion will be good.

Personally, I'm quite interested in it because Blizzard seem to be going back to their roots. Item squashing to stop the rampant gear stats, classic-styled dungeons, expanding on PvE content with housing (finally), invigorating world PvP so it actually is something and offering a more hardcore experience for those who want it but at the same time a casual experience for the "jump on for 2 hours" kind of person.
Posted 01:03pm 21/1/14
Just feels like really classic Warcraft, with a story including a whole s***tonne of iconic Warcraft 1 and 2 characters and base building and stuff. Looks pretty cool