to the moon, athena
AusGamers caught up with 2K Australia and Randy Pitchford to discuss the recently revealed Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and why Australia is making an impact on the moon. Click for more!
Welcome to Planet Nexus
We take a brief dip in the MMO pool with Carbine Studios' WildStar, and find out just what Planet Nexus has in store for us. Check it out in our preview for more!
oracle of ages
Batman: Arkham Knight is set to be Rocksteady's final in the Arkham series, so it's fitting that it's just so damn big. And Batmobiles. Nuff said. Click for more!
Trial By Dirt Bike
We take a look at the fourth title in the Trials series, and the first to hit next-gen platforms. Does it live up to the name? Find out in our review!
Post by Eorl @ 08:46am 24/12/13 | 17 Comments
Another day, another ridiculous amount of money raised for Star Citizen, the epic space-based game from Privateer and Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts and his team at Cloud Imperium Games. This time the game has surpassed $35 million in funding, which is a combined effort from a combination of crowd-funding from the company's official site and a very successful Kickstarter campaign earlier this year.

According to creator Chris Roberts, a fair amount of the money raised from the last stretch goal came from some 6617 new backers, Roberts said. That extra money will be used to increase the amount of content available at the start, and allow the development team at Cloud Imperium Games to hire more staff and invest in research and development.

"Unlike a typical publisher we don't look at this initial funding as bigger profits - we look at as allowing us to deliver more of the dream sooner and ensure the online infrastructure and support is as full featured as possible, even during the pre-release period," he said.

The next stretch goal will be $37 million, which will unlock the Tanga System. Besides the extra content and staff, the game has also gained the Drake Herald ship design, a small, armored ship designed to safely deliver information. Check out the Letter from the Chairman for more on the new funding amount.

paveway
Posted 08:56am 24/12/13
would lol heartily if this guy just up and disappeared into mexico or some other country he can't be extradited from
Toxus
Posted 09:31am 24/12/13
Dogfighting wont be out for a few months now but it will be even better given the extra time..wooo! But the wait is murder haha
Trauma
Posted 12:27pm 24/12/13
Biggest hype train ever. The more they get the less I think they can pull it off tbh.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 12:57pm 24/12/13
Yeah, I was scared at $20million or so, now at $35 million and it hasn't got any less scary. With that sort of coin I hope they have hired some of the best engine developers available. If the engine is shit, the game wont reach anywhere near it's potential.

Wasteland 2 is looking incredibly average at the moment, and that was with $3million. There are games out there with far smaller budgets that have a much better experience (gameplay AND graphics).

dazzalus
Posted 01:14pm 24/12/13
I had a quick look at the packages as I was curious, the $15,000 ones are all gone! Still some $10,000 ones available!? What the?
Ozzy
Posted 02:22pm 24/12/13
Chris Roberts has made some great games. Go back and check out wing commander etc... awesome
IVY_MiKe
Posted 04:17pm 24/12/13
The 6 posts above mine PERFECTLY summarise my thoughts on the subject.
Rominion
Posted 06:16am 25/12/13
I have to agree with Ozzy here, most people are coming into this uninformed without any knowledge in the matter. Chris Roberts and his team work amazingly together, the promises they make, they WILL deliver. The only problem i can see is people wanting massive battles with over 100+ people, which just wont happen with today's current pc's. Don't be suprised if this game blows everyones minds.
Toxus
Posted 02:26pm 25/12/13
They are aiming for 100 people/npc in the battle parts just have to wait for the dogfighting module so they can see how many they can put in without it all exploding :P
Enska
Posted 02:35pm 25/12/13
Don't be suprised if this game blows everyones minds.

I wouldn't be, nor would I be surprised if it tanked big time. Just because it's Chris Roberts doesn't mean it's immune to some kind of Daikatana-esque fuck up.
Ryan
Posted 04:08pm 25/12/13
I still have full faith in the guy, and if they go out and hire the BEST there is, especially, especially engine developers. CryEngine is capable of the best, they better deliver.
Posted 03:22am 26/12/13
Yeah, I loved Wing Commander, but that was 20+ years ago, games and game development has changed a hell of a lot since then, so I don't think that really earns him a free pass. That Starlancer game he made more recently, like 10 or so years ago, was pretty damn average.
Toxus
Posted 05:45am 26/12/13
Game development has changed if anything it's become far more mediocre sure the graphics are amazing now but the gameplay in most games released lately has been boring and games seem to be getting shorter and shorter
Tollaz0r!
Posted 10:11am 26/12/13
I wonder how this guy is tackling feature creep. It is a real problem with modern AAA titles, for a game that basically has a free $35million to use, I'd imagine feature creep would be especially dangerous.
Enska
Posted 12:09pm 26/12/13

Way to make the most broad generalisation about game development ever champ. I can think of a decent amount off the top of my head that have been pretty awesome at the gameplay side of things.
Posted 09:16pm 26/12/13

I wasn't making a comment on the quality of games, I was meaning more the development process and the production pipelines and tech involved. I hope he pulls it off, and I'll buy it when it comes out if it lives up to even half the promise it has because I was a huge Wing Commander fan back in the day, I'm just making a case for maybe tempering the blind optimism a little and keeping a realistic view of things.
Timmeh
Posted 11:06pm 26/12/13
Hype around this is sounding like the flop that was brink.
You must be logged in to post a comment. Log in now!