to the moon, athena
AusGamers caught up with 2K Australia and Randy Pitchford to discuss the recently revealed Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and why Australia is making an impact on the moon. Click for more!
Welcome to Planet Nexus
We take a brief dip in the MMO pool with Carbine Studios' WildStar, and find out just what Planet Nexus has in store for us. Check it out in our preview for more!
oracle of ages
Batman: Arkham Knight is set to be Rocksteady's final in the Arkham series, so it's fitting that it's just so damn big. And Batmobiles. Nuff said. Click for more!
Trial By Dirt Bike
We take a look at the fourth title in the Trials series, and the first to hit next-gen platforms. Does it live up to the name? Find out in our review!
Post by Eorl @ 07:13am 20/12/13 | 60 Comments
I'd apologise to your significant other or credit card now, because it's going to get expensive as Steam kicks off another of its holiday season sales and this time the sales are even bigger.

As usual, Valve is continuing its sales trend with nine games available in the Daily Deals section, some of which you probably should already own but if not get them while they are cheap!
  • Batman: Arkham Origins
  • BioShock Infinite
  • Space Hulk
  • Dead Island
  • Monaco
  • Assetto Corsa
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  • The Stanley Parable
  • Dishonoured
  • The Steam Sale has also brought back the interchangeable Community Choice sales, where users are able to place their vote on what single game of three should be next on sale. Current choices are FTL, Shadowrun Returns and Dust: An Elysian Tail and the winner will be chosen in roughly five hours time.

The Flash Sales are also back, with four titles changing ever eight hours so keep yours eyes peeled for what is hot. At the time of writing current sales are Counterstrike: Global Offensive, Dave kick, The Typing of the Dead: Overkill and Guns of Icarus: Online.

Of course it wouldn't be a Steam Sale without some form of rewards on offer to those opening their wallets, with up to 80 items available to collect in the new Snow Globe Trading Card set. Collect them all and brag to your friends at just how cool you are.

carson
    Posted 07:19am 20/12/13
    Steam Reddit thread
    Amazon reddit thread

I don't think I'll be picking up much this year. I pretty much have everything I could want so far. The only two games I really want are DayZ and Banished.
    Eorl
    Posted 07:39am 20/12/13
    Banished won't be out until late January according to the devs recent AMA.
    Varchld
    Posted 07:39am 20/12/13
    Banished does look really good huh.

I'm pretty much full up on games I want too, maybe gifting time though.
    The GuVna
    Posted 07:55am 20/12/13
    Injustice is 71% off through Gaming Dragon, never used them before but that's a sweet deal

Link
    DeadlyDav0
    Posted 08:13am 20/12/13
    Well fuck. Ive just about given up games due to other priorities but when shit goes on sale, just cant help myself.
    ph33x
    Posted 08:52am 20/12/13

Want to buy a bigger penis? 70% off.
    Tollaz0r!
    Posted 09:01am 20/12/13
    Come on DayZ 75% off!
    carson
    Posted 12:47pm 20/12/13
    Banished won't be out until late January according to the devs recent AMA.

Yeah I know. Hanging out for it so much.

I think the only other game I'd wanna get is Injustice and/or AC4, but I can wait for them.

Come on DayZ 75% off!

I wish. I don't know what the fuck happened to the Minecraft style alpha/beta/release pricing structure he promised. I spent too much on games lately
    step
    Posted 03:58pm 20/12/13
    Couldn't help myself - finally caved and bought Bioshock pack & Arkham Origins.
    Ozzy
    Posted 04:46pm 20/12/13
    Who these days don't jump onto steam looking for bargains? They have learnt how to suck wallets dry. The key is not to look at steam!
    DeadlyDav0
    Posted 04:49pm 20/12/13
    The key is not to look at steam!

But then you miss out on all the bargains!!
    Mosfx
    Posted 04:53pm 20/12/13

But then you miss out on all the bargains!!

But then you save money...

Or do you save money by buying the games on special... /que X Files music
    Ozzy
    Posted 04:56pm 20/12/13
    Buy this t-shirt, you'll save 40%!!!!

But how much did u have to spend, you didn't save anything. You spent it.

I self confess... im a sucker... not this summer... my steam is outta control!!! But at least it was a bargain.
    Nerf Stormborn
    Posted 05:28pm 20/12/13
    My method of self-control is to have already bought just about everything for $1 to $5 from various past sales already, not that I'll ever have time to play most of it...
    carson
    Posted 05:39pm 20/12/13
    That's what I've done Nerf. Now the only games I don't own that I want are Arkham Oranges, DayZ and Banished. Everything else I have wanted I have or drops later next year. Still slogging through my winter sale bounty anyway, so can't totally justify getting more games.
    Whoop
    Posted 05:47pm 20/12/13
    now if only EA would have a sale for BF4 where the premium unlock doesn't cost as much as the game itself.
    copuis
    Posted 06:02pm 20/12/13
    i really like the store page atm,

clearly my xmas is on the beach, and the snow globe reflects that
    bottom of the page, it is winter, and all the snow is at the top of the snowglobe (screen bottom)

it made me smile
    Eorl
    Posted 06:03pm 20/12/13

That pricing is still there, it's just he never said how much the alpha would actually be. People seemed to think it was going to be put around Minecraft's pricing but expect it to be the exact same as ArmA 3.
    Viper119
    Posted 07:59pm 20/12/13
    Has anyone hit up CS GO? Is it fun for a bit of nostalgic CS gaming?
    Taipan
    Posted 08:08pm 20/12/13

Want to buy a bigger penis? 70% off.

Is that for yourself or are you going to gift it to your boyfriend?
    Mosfx
    Posted 08:30pm 20/12/13
    Has anyone hit up CS GO? Is it fun for a bit of nostalgic CS gaming?

Yeah it's good to fire up every now and then
    Tollaz0r!
    Posted 08:50pm 20/12/13
    Yeah I bought it on the cheap to have a little GO from time to time.
    Tollaz0r!
    Posted 09:26am 21/12/13
    Chivalry: Medieval warfare is on sale .. again. $6.50 is a bargain. It recently had a patch that makes it run HEAPS better.
    DeadlyDav0
    Posted 09:44am 21/12/13
    lol toll. You just want more noobs to pwn.
    Tollaz0r!
    Posted 09:50am 21/12/13
    Always!
    Noah
    Posted 11:25am 21/12/13
    Are you toll ingame?
    Tollaz0r!
    Posted 03:26pm 21/12/13
    yeah
    ravn0s
    Posted 12:06pm 22/12/13
    went to see if the deus ex: hr upgrade was discounted but the upgrade is gone. wtf
    d^
    Posted 12:38pm 22/12/13
    I haven't bought anything yet as I own all of it so far.
    Fixah
    Posted 12:58pm 22/12/13
    So many games, so lil time.

I too have given up on PC gaming because of this cheap madness. Thank God for being content and thank God for Killer Instinct.
    Noah
    Posted 03:08pm 22/12/13
    yeah

ah cool, you've bossed me up a few times.
    Tollaz0r!
    Posted 04:38pm 22/12/13
    That's because it's about the only multiplayer game I play at the moment. It just hits the spot nicely.
    Eorl
    Posted 07:04pm 31/12/13
    So how is everyone doing as we near closer to the end of this year's sale? I haven't really bought much in the Steam Sale itself, but I did buy the Yogcast Humble Bundle for Rust and All Star Racing. Nothing has really been super interesting this sale, guess because the release slate for this year wasn't that big.
    carson
    Posted 07:46pm 31/12/13
    I got the Yogcast bundle too. And DayZ. Oh, and I upgraded my Civ 5 to the complete collection.

Tempted to get HOMM6, but I'll pass.
    DeadlyDav0
    Posted 02:58am 01/1/14
    Whats this Yogcast humble bundle? I must have missed it.
    ravn0s
    Posted 11:23am 01/1/14
    i bought gone home and brothers since they're appearing on a lot of people's GOTY lists. plan to get alan wake later today.
    Enska
    Posted 01:13pm 01/1/14
    I picked up a a heap of 2 buck cheapies, AC3 for 10, RE6 for 11. Rising Storm for 5 just then.

Alan Wake is the shit, still haven't played through it on steam but played the fuck out of it on xbox on release.
    Eorl
    Posted 01:24pm 01/1/14
    The Yogcast Humble Bundle gives a heap of games for $25, it has about 5 hours left on availability. Also ignore how it says Chivalry is sold out, it still gives you a key.

ravn0s
    Posted 01:34pm 01/1/14
    it also says sonic racing and napoleon are sold out
    trillion
    Posted 01:52pm 01/1/14
    picked up mark of the ninja and brothers: a tale of two sons
    Eorl
    Posted 06:59pm 01/1/14
    it also says sonic racing and napoleon are sold out

Yeah I don't actually get the whole "it sold out" thing, I was able to gift my extra copies without issues. Also one minute left for those still hesitant.
    ravn0s
    Posted 11:08pm 01/1/14
    bioshock infinite season pass is $7.50 for the next 5hrs.
    Tollaz0r!
    Posted 08:45pm 02/1/14
    I'm about to buy 'You need a budget'. Have to do a budget here and I could use excel but you know, this thing looks pretty interesting and saves me making an excel spreadsheet and does it heaps better than I could bother with.

Steam Sale happens, buys budgeting program from steam sales to afford steam sales... :D

Nerf Stormborn
    Posted 04:03pm 03/1/14
    God damn mount & blade warband is possibly the best game ever made, had no idea what I was getting into buying that for $6 due to having seen a comment about how addictive it was. Due to this damn heat though I pretty much can't play it while the sun is up, for fear of melting my computer, and it's expected to reach 45 here tomorrow... :/

Anyway, highly recommend wishlisting mount & blade warband and getting it in another sale, it's amazing. It's basically total war mixed with morrowind mixed with chivalry mixed with civilization.
    Varchld
    Posted 07:20pm 03/1/14

You should check out one or two of the modules for warband, it improves it even more.
    I haven't dug too far into mods for the game but either the Floris mod pack, Brytenwalda or Prophesy of Pendor are all good mods.
    Tollaz0r!
    Posted 07:41pm 03/1/14
    Is the combat better than Chiv?
    Nerf Stormborn
    Posted 07:50pm 03/1/14
    The combat is first/third person, kind of like chivalry, though mounted most of the time. It doesn't do any of the genres as well as those games, but it does them pretty damn decently still, and it all comes together fantasgasmically.
    DeadlyDav0
    Posted 12:32am 04/1/14
    M&B is similar to chiv Toll but instead of having a button for attacks, its mainly mouse direction. Eg Swing from right to left for a slash from right to left. IIRC chiv had a few keys for different attacks - high, low, standard, reverse. Cause its all mouse movement based its less precise but IMO more fun as you wail the mouse around in battle.

As nerf said, most battles are on horse as it makes you harder to kill unless your horse dies in battle and you cant find another nearby to ride. Castle sieges are on foot though.

Nerf - Google how to increase max units in a battle as long as your PC can handle it. Helps to prevent the stupid mass reinforcements spawning in the middle of your troops and resulting in more casualties than deserved. Too high can fuck up castle sieges and cause units to spawn in areas sometimes unreachable though. Also, once you get bored of native M&B, check out Blood and Steel. Fucktonnes of new weapons, units, game improvements and really creates a new game to play.
    Nerf Stormborn
    Posted 05:57am 04/1/14
    I had troop counts high, but actually turned it down last I played, because I was getting sick of saving villages from enemy lords and charging in to streets full of troops, while my horses got themselves trapped against buildings and overwhelmed...
    DeadlyDav0
    Posted 08:34am 04/1/14
    ^
    Yeah that sucks.
    Eorl
    Posted 08:49am 04/1/14
    I found M&B to be the best medieval combat sim to date, what with directional swinging and blocking. I've put in at least 200 hours on Warband, its a great game and has so much content.

I would actually recommend getting Fire & Sword, it adds in new campaign and powdered firearms. A lot of people say it was terrible but I found it quite fun so take that as you will.
    ravn0s
    Posted 04:43pm 05/1/14
    looks like they've permanently removed the deus ex upgrade :(
    RuleofBooKz
    Posted 05:33pm 05/1/14
    mount and blade is great ive sunk many hours into both warband and fire and sword - different cultures different troops empire building castle sieges and epic battles where you can deploy troops in formation and give battle orders on the fly. Very fun
    Mosfx
    Posted 07:22am 06/1/14
    So I used a Steam Calculator today, not a bad result 50% of my games played lol

Games owned 136
    Games not played 68 (50%)
    Hours spent 608.8h
    Account worth $1753.77
    DeadlyDav0
    Posted 03:31pm 06/1/14
    heh

Games owned 300
    Games not played 122 (41%)
    Hours spent 3048.0h
    Account worth $3014.95
    Hogfather
    Posted 03:48pm 06/1/14
    hahaha

Games owned 128
    Games not played 90 (70%)
    Hours spent 2,588.0h
    Account worth $1524.13
    groganus
    Posted 04:04pm 06/1/14
    Games owned 267
    Games not played 201 (75%)
    Hours spent 630.6h
    Account worth $3029.17

If you added up the games I pirated when I was younger and purchased during steam sales just cause I could afford them now and I felt money should go to the devs it probably sits more around 45 - 50 %.
    DeadlyDav0
    Posted 04:36pm 06/1/14
    ^
    lol, sames.
    Mosfx
    Posted 04:44pm 06/1/14
    Yeah I guess buying a game that is now 80% of its original value 10 years later is better then not given them money at all right lol
    ph33x
    Posted 04:46pm 06/1/14

The $80 to the dev or the $5 to the dev through the steam sale?

You viscous thief. Shame on you.
    You must be logged in to post a comment. Log in now!