to the moon, athena
AusGamers caught up with 2K Australia and Randy Pitchford to discuss the recently revealed Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and why Australia is making an impact on the moon. Click for more!
Welcome to Planet Nexus
We take a brief dip in the MMO pool with Carbine Studios' WildStar, and find out just what Planet Nexus has in store for us. Check it out in our preview for more!
oracle of ages
Batman: Arkham Knight is set to be Rocksteady's final in the Arkham series, so it's fitting that it's just so damn big. And Batmobiles. Nuff said. Click for more!
Trial By Dirt Bike
We take a look at the fourth title in the Trials series, and the first to hit next-gen platforms. Does it live up to the name? Find out in our review!
Post by Eorl @ 01:27pm 17/04/13 | 23 Comments
It seems SimCity isn't stopping at Nissan-branded Leaf advertisement, with EA announcing a new campaign with specially marked Crest or Oral-B products, though sadly only available in the US. On offer for those who do purchase the advertised-riddled products is an in-game Attraction Set, which includes five attractions: Giant Garden Gnome, Dolly the Dinosaur, Llarry the Llama, MaxisMan Statue and the World’s Largest Ball of Twine.

Similar to the Nissan Leaf advertisement, the Attraction Set will offer in-game happiness to those in proximity to each building, and will also act as a tourist point for your town. Interesting enough however is that those who do buy the branded products will be able to redeem the coupon for either the Attractions Set, The Sims Social SimCash, or a $5-off coupon for Origin. Those who don't want to purchase the branded toothpaste can also send a hand-written postcard according to the FAQ, which might be a way for Australian gamers eager to get their hands on the advertised content.

Via Kotaku.

thermite
Posted 01:32pm 17/4/13
I am so happy I got my money back for this!!
It was a weird thing for me to do to push for a refund when I'd waited excitedly for a year for that game, and even used to think about how sad it would be if I died without ever getting to play Sim City. Well I'm still here and I've never played it, and I'm glad.

I guess I went through the same thing with MK9, looked forward to it, looked forward to it, never played it or seen it be played, because well... it never actually came out?

Tollaz0r!
Posted 01:53pm 17/4/13
Every piece of news like this relating to SimCity further angers me that I bought it.

An uncooked, exceptionally non-challenging game that is riddled with a DLC plague that seemingly continues to fester now and into the future. A Giant 'game' made specifically to sell DLC it seems.
Mosfx
Posted 02:20pm 17/4/13
Smart concept for marketing products.

This concept would be fantastic for Free to Play games as it gets money from companies that can work this sort of money into marketing budgets, for a fully priced retail games it's all bullshit EA has made money from customers already and they are making more money of companies, talk about greedy.
copuis
Posted 02:32pm 17/4/13
I never thought a paid game would be so demeaning to it's fan base

this sort of shit if fine for facebook games, pay to win etc, because well the ads and idiots that pay for stuff are those paying for all to play the game,

but to pay for a "full" game, then to pay for the ads is a joke, how much fucking money if EA making off the gamers vs reaping in extra dosh from the ads
SquarkyD
Posted 08:14pm 17/4/13
resisted buying this game at first but caved in, one month later I regret buying it. How about fixing the fucking game so all the features that it was supposed to launch with work, so it's actually enjoyable to play beyond 2 hrs first - THEN start the advertising DLC bullshit!!
euphoria
Posted 08:52pm 17/4/13
I wish the entire gaming community would stop playing this game so that it would be the low point of stupid marketing crap in gaming history - an example for the ages of how bad it all went. But no, won't happen.
Whoop
Posted 09:43pm 17/4/13
i'll stick to the sims 3
Eds
Posted 11:00pm 17/4/13
Iv moved on to Kerbal space program. quarter the price and 4 times more interesting.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 11:49pm 17/4/13
Kerbal space program good fun?
WirlWind
Posted 03:46am 18/4/13
At the rate EA is ruining games we loved, I would expect a gaming crash coming soonish.

All we need is ET The Video Game 2 on the PS4 to kick it off.
carson
Posted 07:00am 18/4/13
Honestly, I don't know what people expected. We all know what Maxis has become and what EA is like, so it's to be expected that they'd pull shit like this. As long as people pre-order and continue to buy games like this so close to release, these companies will continue their shady business practices.
Mosfx
Posted 08:05am 18/4/13
I don't see how it's a shady business practice you need to remember EA is a company that has share holders who want results, EA has seen an opportunity to sell a game and cross promote it with everyday products customers need, very smart marketing.

As I said early this practice would better suit a publishers bottom line for a free to play model, but EA is leading the charge selling games at full price and then making more money from companys via advertising such as the Nissan Leaf and Oral B Toothpaste.

Get used to this form of marketing as publishers are looking to maximise profits from their products, I am honestly surprised its taken this long for it too happen. I remember playing the first NFS:Underground and one of the tracks had an ingame McDonalds billboard, how much do you think McDonalds paid EA for that?

If you don't like it don't play the game that's the only way companies like EA will pay attention if customers keep purchasing and playing their products they will keep doing it whilst they continue to make profits.

I am glad I never purchased this product and never purchased any BF3 DLCs
eski
Posted 10:09am 18/4/13
Tollaz0r!
Posted 11:35am 18/4/13
Yer I'm pretty much finished with EA. A game will have to be seriously good for me to buy it if EA publish it. With EA publishing, I doubt any game will be 'seriously good'.
Monkeez
Posted 12:05pm 18/4/13

Me too, it's loads of fun!
Twisted
Posted 12:20pm 18/4/13

- That its OK for a business like Ticketec to charge you a fee to print your own ticket with your ink on your own paper or charge you $30 because you lost your ticket and want a re-print.
- That you should smile wipe the shit off your face and ask for seconds when Dell charges you a $5 transaction fee on a refund for a faulty product.
- Its OK for a cinema to charge you a $2 booking fee because you pay for it online before you get there.
- That companies can patent your DNA to earn charge royalties to a research lap trying to come up with a cure for cancer.

I could really go on with thousands of examples, but seriously don't be a punching bag your whole life. Just because some company represents some share holder doesn't make something right. Everyone has a right to make a profit, but you don't have to be a c**t about it on the way.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 12:39pm 18/4/13
Patents help with research due to mammoth costs involved, they need to recoup some of their losses. Plowing money into research is high risk, that often pays back little to nothing. Hence when a company does file a winner, they need it to make as much money as possible to cover the costs of all the stuff that didn't pan out. But you know they are evil and stuff.
copuis
Posted 01:01pm 18/4/13
with patents there is a line I think

take monsanto as an example

they make round up, and they made some plants unaffected by it,
it manages all the seed for those plants, which is fine
the farmer buy the seed from the company, plants it, grows etc, but cant keep any seed to plant next year, they need to keep
buying it in, that is all fine and that is business

BUT, how it works is
currently if the farmer next door grows the same plant, but farms it the old fashion ways (plants, grow, collects and stores seed for next year) well, monsanto can take that farmer to court because some of the seed and DNA carried by the winds/bees/birds etc can end up in his seed stock, THAT I have an issue with, they "normal" farmer hasn't done anything wrong, but misses out
Mosfx
Posted 01:31pm 18/4/13
icon7.gifYou're a sheeple flock member if I've ever seen one. When did people become so placid and useless and think:

Firstly you've completely misinterpreted my point and I wonder if you even ready my post to the very end.

No it's not okay for Ticketek to charge for your own ink
No It's not okay for Dell to charge $5 for faulty product refunds
No It's not okay for Event to charge an online admin fee
No it's not okay for a company to patent your DNA unless your stupid enough to sign the document

These things are almost borderline stealing but if people are stupid enough to pay it then why would a company stop it? as I said in my post don't purchase their products simple, I don't own a single Apple product because I refuse to pay large amounts for technology other companies can provide cheaper.

My point is that it's a smart marketing tactic done by EA, it's only a matter of time until more games have more ingame advertising built into them, this is no different to product placements in movies and television shows.

EA have hardly been a *$&% about it, you don't want to have the Nissan Leaf DLC don't download it, don't want these new statues or whatever they are don't buy Oral B toothpaste.
deadlyf
Posted 03:17pm 18/4/13
patents are meant for inventions, not discoveries. If you can patent the human genome then why not carbon? Patenting the ways to manipulate and change it is one thing but patenting something that occurs in nature is pretty shit and I'm surprised anyone would think otherwise.

Regardless, the situation with EA is completely different since they don't contribute anything of importance and interaction with them as a company is completely optional. If people continue to buy their shit and support their business model then they should continue to make their shit and rub it in peoples faces. I find the nerd rage over EA or Blizzard completely irrational since there are plenty of non EA/Activision products out there for people to play.

Don't like Diablo 3? Go buy Torchlight. Don't like Sim City? Go buy a sandpit and some tonka trucks.
eski
Posted 03:28pm 18/4/13

Except for the part where they annihilated the fundamental structure of one of the most classic and beloved game franchises in existence, all to make a buck. They used the Simcity name to sell something that really wasn't Simcity, and seriously damaged their customer's trust. Even Maxis acknowledged that.
Mosfx
Posted 03:38pm 18/4/13
Yeah but we all know that's just EA being EA greedy company that doesn't give a shit about customers but people keep buying their crap.
Twisted
Posted 04:56pm 18/4/13
I'm a busy man with lots of threads to troll, I can't always give every post the reading it requires before going on a rampage.
I have no problem with this particular move by EA. I have a problem with their botched up launch, shit DRM that prevented paying customers from actually playing the game. Its like when you buy a DVD and get that warning about not pirating the movie because you're a bastard....and just to reinforce the message with Bluray its evolved so you can't even fast forward past the warnings. That's what EA did with SimCity. Bent their customers over and raped them laughing to the bank. Their own developers are ashamed of it.