to the moon, athena
AusGamers caught up with 2K Australia and Randy Pitchford to discuss the recently revealed Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and why Australia is making an impact on the moon. Click for more!
Welcome to Planet Nexus
We take a brief dip in the MMO pool with Carbine Studios' WildStar, and find out just what Planet Nexus has in store for us. Check it out in our preview for more!
oracle of ages
Batman: Arkham Knight is set to be Rocksteady's final in the Arkham series, so it's fitting that it's just so damn big. And Batmobiles. Nuff said. Click for more!
Trial By Dirt Bike
We take a look at the fourth title in the Trials series, and the first to hit next-gen platforms. Does it live up to the name? Find out in our review!
Post by Eorl @ 10:54am 18/01/13 | 18 Comments
DayZ creator Dean Hall has revealed through a recent Ask Me Anything (thanks Shack News) on the DayZ Reddit that he is "angry about the War Z", stating that the recent controversy surrounding the zombie title has caused confusion between the two products with individuals believing that The War Z was the currently in-production DayZ Standalone.

Hall also mentions that while "the average gamer knows the difference individual people don't", revealing that the creator has been undergoing criticism from family and friends mistaking the difference and confronting him about the unethical decisions.
I really don't think anyone can understand just quite how exasperated that can make you feel when you've gambled everything on something, put your whole self and reputation on the line. So it hasn't made my life very pleasant and I disagree entirely with the conduct and how consumers have been treated.
Previously The War Z was pulled off Steam shortly after going on sale, with claims that the store page was misleading and referring to non-existent gameplay mechanics. The game has since been kept off the store, with no outlook as to when and if it will ever be back.

Buy now from SteamUS Only USD$29.99!

carson
Posted 12:32pm 18/1/13
I would be pissed too. Even some of my gamer friends who stay somewhat up to date with the news assumed that The War Z was the standalone.

I knew as soon as The War Z was announced they where aiming to get people to play through the confusion.
WirlWind
Posted 01:02pm 18/1/13
They can't have been too up to date, carson.

kirkoswald
Posted 01:35pm 18/1/13
Carsons right, i was under the assumption for ages that DayZ was the "warZ" Stand alone game
assag
Posted 01:36pm 18/1/13
I assumed War Z was a game adaptation of World War Z
eski
Posted 01:37pm 18/1/13
+1 Carson

game is shite, devs are scumbags
carson
Posted 01:55pm 18/1/13
They can't have been too up to date, carson.It took just looking at the name, noticing it wasn't "DayZ" and thinking "huh, I wonder what that's about".Then I looked it up and in under 5 minutes found the forums and a bunch of "info" on it.

I should have said, "somewhat up to date with gaming news in general". They keep up to date with releases and just general news, but don't go that extra little bit that others, such as myself, do.

They knew that a DayZ standalone was coming out, and thought it was The War Z. My suspicions are first where that they named it this to ride on the coattails of DayZ's success, and with all the shit drama over the last couple months it's clear that was their intention.

Especially given the Steam release (however brief) it would seem like it was a legit game and out for release.

I think once the DayZ standalone is out however, Rocket and his team will see the kinda of success they deserve. If they follow the Minecraft model, I sure as hell will be getting it right off the bat. The only thing that's been disappointing about Minecraft was the long promised (and long delayed) mod API. The devs has been really cool about support and everything else.
Gianluca
Posted 02:33pm 18/1/13
When I first saw the WarZ on the internet I knew that it wasn't DayZ but it immediately reminded me of those mockbuster films, like the ones that The Asylum makes. They name their direct to DVD stuff very similar to huge blockbusters that are being released around the same time so that people in a store or online look at it and go "oh its out on DVD already!" The most recent one that came out actually stirred some controversy: the blockbuster was "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" and the asylum film was "Age of the Hobbits". I can't possibly imagine that those developers of WarZ were not thinking of this as a money making factor. For some comparison, DayZ is a free mod. The WarZ costs money.
Trauma
Posted 04:49pm 18/1/13
Gotta say this never crossed my mind as a thing that could happen, but then again I could spot a Real Virtuality engine screen shot from a mile. War Z obviously looks a lot different.
Totenkopf
Posted 01:14pm 19/1/13
Warz 200+servers and all with people on them...yeah this games is rubbish lol
Whoop
Posted 01:21pm 19/1/13

I thought it was another shit zombie movie, I figured Day Z "standalone" would have kept the Day Z name.
Nerf Lord
Posted 01:30pm 19/1/13
I still can't tell which is which when reading the names, his only hope now may be to rename his title.
Bah
Posted 01:42pm 19/1/13
I guess its the danger of having such a simple name, not like you can copyright the letter Z, unless maybe you're sesame street.
Whoop
Posted 01:45pm 19/1/13
Let Apple's lawyers at it, they'll soon patent the letter Z, they can just throw it in there with their letter I copyright.
DeadlyDav0
Posted 02:25pm 19/1/13
If you got suckered by WarZ thinking it was the DayZ stand alone then you deserve it.

Chances are you didnt do your research. Sucks you bought a shit game but if you are happy to splash $15 or whatever it was on a game without being pretty damn sure of it, then you have yourself to blame. And if $15 is fuck all to you, then why complain about a shitty ass $15 game. I have no doubt the WarZ people tried to trick people into buying their game thinking it was the DayZ stand alone but when the steam page doesnt have DayZ plastered all over it, then it should ring some warning bells that maybe this isnt actually what you think it is.
Superform
Posted 10:36pm 19/1/13
still waiting for a decent stand alone.. good game genre
Phandaal
Posted 12:49am 21/1/13
God I'm sick of people saying "you didn't do your research" as some kind of half-baked excuse for unethical people releasing substandard products or just generally conducting themselves dishonestly.

Buying a fucking video game should not require a background check. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting the industry to adhere to an ethical standard of behaviour and quality.

I'm not saying its a realistic goal, but there is nothing wrong with striving for it.

As for the original subject, as if we needed yet another reason to hate that toad Sergei Titov.
Viper119
Posted 04:40am 21/1/13
I still know what what DaZ or WarZ and the difference is, anyone care to give the gist?
Nerf Lord
Posted 06:22am 21/1/13

One is an official release being built out of a popular mod in a new engine, the other is a very similar game with a similar name which had a lot of drama for advertising features which weren't in the game yet.

For the life of me, I can't remember which is which.