We take a look at Ubisoft's next iteration in the Far Cry universe to see just what is on offer
Badger Badger Badger - Far Cry 4 Reviewed
We chat with Blizzard RTS veteran Allen Dilling on the past, present and future of StarCraft!
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Developer Interview
The first expansion for Company of Heroes 2 has landed. How does one attack Adrennes Assault? Read our review to find out!
Company of Heroes 2: Adrennes Assault Review
Post by Dan @ 09:44am 18/01/13 | 37 Comments
Diablo 3 Game Director and lightning rod for much of the game's criticisms has announced his departure from the D3 team, indicating a move to another project within Blizzard's Irvine, California headquarters (thanks Morax).
I recently celebrated my seven-year anniversary working on Diablo III, and while it's been one of the most challenging and rewarding periods of my life, I've reached a point creatively where I'm looking forward to working on something new. The powers that be at Blizzard have been gracious enough to give me that opportunity. Over the course of the next several weeks, I will be moving off of the Diablo III project and transitioning elsewhere within Blizzard. This decision was not an easy one for me, and not one I made quickly, but ultimately it's what I feel is right.

The first thing I want to assure you all is that this will not negatively impact our ongoing support of Diablo III. The game was not made by one person, far from it, and the team that poured their passion and considerable talent into it isn't going anywhere. We have lots of things planned for the future, and those plans will carry forward as normal. I also won't be abandoning the team, and will remain available to them during the transition period while we determine who will take over duties as game director.

To that point, you shouldn't be surprised if you see a job posting for a game director on Diablo III, as we want to make sure we explore every opportunity to find the best possible leadership for the project. We're looking forward to finding this person and hearing what kind of fresh ideas they can bring to the table.
That Wilson did not offer any hints on where he will end up suggests that it's not just the World of Warcraft or StarCraft II teams, but likely another unannounced project.

Buy now from Green Man Gaming Only GBP£17.99!

arkter
Posted 11:50am 18/1/13
Guess he cant f*** that up more than it already is.

haha yeah... have been playing a bit of everquest 2... it kinda reminds me a bit of wow vanilla... its free to play also... really enjoying it.
glynd
Posted 12:00pm 18/1/13
Titan?Speaking of which - has anyone heard anything about this?

I reckon they'll announce it at Blizzcon this year.
arkter
Posted 12:42pm 18/1/13
I reckon they'll announce it at Blizzcon this year.

would be nice, the titbits of info released so far doesn't really excite though
carson
Posted 12:59pm 18/1/13
Diablo 3 taught me a good lesson. Don't buy in to game hype.
Enska
Posted 01:10pm 18/1/13
lul, it took until Diablo 3 for you to learn this lesson?
Posted 01:23pm 18/1/13
would be nice, the titbits of info released so far doesn't really excite though

What tidbits of info? Afaik Blizzard haven't released any info at all about it besides the codename, the rest is just rumour and conjecture.
carson
Posted 01:57pm 18/1/13
lul, it took until Diablo 3 for you to learn this lesson?

I don't generally get caught up in the hype, and when I do the developers generally deliver (Half Life2, Civ games, Total War games, etc.) but this was the first game I got at release that really didn't deliver.
arkter
Posted 03:12pm 18/1/13

There was something a while back saying it was more 'casual and social' focused

There was a more in depth article somewhere but it was a while back.
greazy
Posted 03:16pm 18/1/13
Someone explain to me why D3 is so bad?
TufNuT
Posted 03:16pm 18/1/13

yeah I never really tried everquest. im playing Eve online now.. though if my last 3 attempts are anything to go by, I probably wont be for long lol.
arkter
Posted 03:23pm 18/1/13

Eve was really slow imo.... only thing I would be interested in was huuuuge ship combat and last time I looked at it - it was going to take like 2 years to get out of the pipsqueak ships and into something a bit bigger - has this changed now?
Posted 03:47pm 18/1/13
There was something a while back saying it was more 'casual and social' focused

Oh, thats pretty lame :(
Nukleuz
Posted 11:49pm 18/1/13
Someone explain to me why D3 is so bad?

It's not so much that D3 is bad in it's general game play. It's just more about some of the design decisions (the loot system and it's flow on effect with the RMAH, no offline mode, and some of the original monster abilities i.e. shielding for example) being a f*****g joke.
Viper119
Posted 12:34am 19/1/13
D3 - I thought the graphics and basic gameplay was good, like D2 but with awesome 3d graphics and physics, etc. The storyline was boring and repetitive though, I really didn't get into it like I did D2 (which had a much better over-arching storyline which made the repetitive hacking worthwhile). When I got to the barbarian keep I just got bored and stopped playing.

I'm not hardcore so didn't get into all the design/gear/loot/etc issues the hardcores hate.

Edit: Also good riddance to that Jay dude, the way he handled the interview with the Diablo creator was first class poor leadership and childishness.
DM
Posted 12:41am 19/1/13
Major thing that many people had issues with in D3 I think is the itemization of the loot. I mean if it didn't have stamina and your primary stat on, it was often a bad item and just vendor trash. Made getting drops even worse than normal because not only did you have to farm for drops but you had to farm for the right type of stats on the randomly generated item which was a huge pain in the arse.

Then the RMAH came along and blizzard can't hear complaints over the sound of their money printing machine running 24/7.
Jim
Posted 02:53am 19/1/13
it barely offered anything new considering how much time had passed since the previous instalment, it had utterly stupid itemisation of of loot because it's business model revolved around pushing people to the RMAH and giving more money over to blizzard to get items instead of feasibly being able to farm them yourself in a reasonable timeframe

they completely f***ed up the economy early on by letting a slice of early players farm a LOT of gold causing item prices on the gold auction house to inflate to obscene amounts, then nerfed the ass out of gold farming leaving most of the good items out of reach of the main wave of players - possibly another planned move to drive people toward the RMAH

then when we got creative with certain specs and beat the game without using exploits like a lot of the initial players did and without needing to spend millions of gold on the gold auction house or spend real coin on the RMAH, they started nerfing those specs so that they needed better gear to function as well

the server lag was horrible for the first x weeks or whatever, it didn't matter whether I played on US or on EU servers (where my ping is only 30-50ms), making hardcore a complete joke

I killed diablo on inferno solo on a barb and wiz, farmed acts3 and 4 for items for a few weeks to sell on the RMAH and got bored of it

the only saving grace was the blizz bucks I made on the RMAH paid for two copies of the latest wow expac and month's sub or something like that
reload!
Posted 02:01am 19/1/13
it's not that it was bad, it was just only ok which for a champion thoroughbred with 11 years of prep equates to pretty f*****g lousy
carson
Posted 08:00am 19/1/13

This is probably the best explanation.

For me it was the RMAH. In D2 my friends and I would share items no hassles, in D3, everyone was a tight arse because they wanted to make some profit on the RMAH. To me, sharing loot was a big factor of what made playing with friends fun. The massive barrier that the RMAH put in front of that killed a huge aspect.
DoCZero
Posted 08:33am 19/1/13
I found the story a little Meh... I didnt actually care for any of the characters and actually wasnt interested in the story. I'd like of like a little connection with why im killing 30million demons. However I do enjoy the game and i'd really love to see more content.
Posted 12:57pm 19/1/13
Yeah, the AH killed the loot aspect of D3 for me, and that was a big part of what makes Diablo fun. I mean, the RMAH was a gay idea, but even just the normal AH fundamentally changed the loot dynamic for the worse. Changed how people thought about their loot, like carson was saying, and also changed how much loot actually dropped since the AH was considered part of the upgrade path now. Getting your upgrades out of a loot pinata was fun and was Diablo, buying all your upgrades from the AH was not fun.
Everlong
Posted 10:48pm 20/1/13
I like how he has reassured us all that it wasn't just his solo awesomeness that made D3, but that other people helped him so you'll still get patches and stuff -.-
DM
Posted 10:56pm 20/1/13
Let's hope his new job involves sorting stuff in the mail room where he cant effect any games they make in the future
parabol
Posted 11:06pm 20/1/13
The game was not made by one person

Oh, how humble of him ....

Obes
Posted 11:18pm 20/1/13
D2 > D3
Dodgymon
Posted 12:08am 21/1/13
The game is actually starting to get good now however it's too little too late. 1.07 is how the game should have been released and it is a shame it wasn't or at least to close to that.
arkter
Posted 10:56am 21/1/13
Oh, how humble of him ....Is there some sort of a reverse-kickstarter site, where you can pay for someone to not be involved in something in future?

lol'd
ravn0s
Posted 09:00pm 21/1/13
from his twitter page

Game Director @ Blizzard on an unannounced game. I like games, especially Blizzard ones, and anything that has the word 'Warhammer' on it.

rumour is that it's warcraft 4
Poorping
Posted 09:38pm 21/1/13
After D3 ill never look at blizzard the same ever again. As far as I'm concerned Blizzard have become nothing more then a gaming superpower that doesn't care about you as person but only how big your wallet is.

Shame on you guys for scamming the world!
reload!
Posted 09:49pm 21/1/13
a new warcraft that doesn't include the words world or of would be awesome