We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Developer Interview
Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Developer Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Post by trog @ 12:04am 12/01/13 | 29 Comments
For the entire day of January 12th, Electronic Arts are offering the original Crysis game on Origin for the pretty rad price of $1.

If you haven't had a chance to check out Crytek's sci-fi FPS - well, now's probably a good time to pick it up. Those who came in late might want to check out our game page for some more information, but if you have a dollar to spare, go buy it now from the Origin store.

edit: The deal is over!

crysis
Buy now from SteamEU Only EUR€14.99!

DeadlyDav0
Posted 12:13am 12/1/13
F*** thats a bargain. Bet they just wanna collect email addresses required for origin then spam prior to crysis 3's release.
Whoop
Posted 12:44am 12/1/13
Why not just get the crysis ultimate thing for the low low price of $100US (I assume it was US) and get crysis 1, 2, super mega action packed DLC (forget what it's called) and all the day 1 crysis 3 unlocks.
Ozzy
Posted 12:01pm 12/1/13
Good price for the game... shame Origin is soo bad.
breno
Posted 12:09pm 12/1/13
Got it off steam for $3 during the Winter sale, worth the extra $2 having it on steam
Ozzy
Posted 12:23pm 12/1/13

Yes that and I've uninstalled Origin because they stuffed up Battlefield.
bepatient
Posted 12:31pm 12/1/13
Good price for the game... shame Origin is soo bad.

Everyone is quick to say that, but what exactly is soo bad about Origin?
Whoop
Posted 12:44pm 12/1/13
I'd rather have games not be forced to use either steam or origin. If I buy a game on CD I don't want to have to keep logging into steam / origin. One off online activation I'm ok with, but not this constant bulls***. No wonder people pirate stuff.
twenty1
Posted 12:45pm 12/1/13
Still not worth a dollar because its on origin. Would have picked it up to if it weren't for that.
ravn0s
Posted 02:30pm 12/1/13

i'm pretty sure you can play most games on steam in offline mode
Whoop
Posted 12:57pm 12/1/13
which still requires steam to be running. It would be ok if the games themselves ran without needing steam to also be running (I think some might?).

also, offline mode has always given me trouble. I've never actually been able to use it up until maybe a month or two ago. It always just kept trying to sign in, even if I disabled all my network adapters, turned off the modem and wrapped my house in tinfoil, steam STILL tried to sign in over and over. Thankfully it works now though (i think) because when I'm capped it sometimes takes over 5 minutes just to sign in (I f*****g wish I was joking). Bloated piece of s***.
Dazhel
Posted 01:04pm 12/1/13
Everyone is quick to say that, but what exactly is soo bad about Origin?

This was me this morning:

Ooh Crysis for a dollar, I'll get in on that.
...Install Origin...
...Origin is updating...1%...100%...Done

Origin window disappears then nothing - it seems to be installed and running in the background for over 10 minutes, but no ui, no cpu disk or network access, alt-tab nothing, just sitting there.

Kill process, Uninstall - uninstaller hangs.
Kill process, "Origin is now uninstalled!"...err OK.

Re-download, reinstall
...Origin is updating...1%...100%...Done

Exactly the same thing as before, EA Fails.
Whoop
Posted 01:08pm 12/1/13
Yep. You have to kill it, then just run it normally from the shortcut I think. Pretty sure the same thing happened to me.
Dazhel
Posted 01:30pm 12/1/13
Tried that and it still froze, but I'm giving it another go after a reboot.

Edit: reboot must have worked. It's starting now, though the first impressions don't fill me with confidence.
Hogfather
Posted 02:28pm 12/1/13
The client is a bit meh but it s**** all over steam for dl speeds.
Ozzy
Posted 03:33pm 12/1/13
Everyone is quick to say that, but what exactly is soo bad about Origin?

Everytime I load Origin it bugs out and I can't start my games. So i click around and try refresh the screen so it's not jumping everywhere.
When I load Origin my whole computer freezes and net drops out. Takes about 2 mins to get back to normal.
There are always massive updates, the downloads are slowing down as more people jump onto Origin.
When your game files are out of date or corrupt, on steam you can validate files and it will download what you need. On Origin it downloads the whole game again from scratch (grrrr).

And EA have ruined the Battlefield franchise.
carson
Posted 03:36pm 12/1/13
How did they ruin battlefield?
tspec
Posted 04:06pm 12/1/13
$1 doesn't seem worth the hassle to install Origin, plus I've already got Crysis on Steam. I've managed to avoid Origin so far but I really want to play the new Sim City game.
Ronnny
Posted 04:38pm 12/1/13
Origin runs fine and downloads fast.
Ozzy
Posted 05:05pm 12/1/13
How did they ruin battlefield?

Battlefield 1942 was very open field based combat, maps were big, much bigger than BF3. The combat was paced and not as intense as FPS's are going these days. BF2 was very good stuck with the big map theme and many vehicles and loadouts, and modernised it which was a good step forward.

BF3 is very pretty game, but thats as far as it goes. The maps suck, too small. Most of the maps are corridor based COD type. I like the destructable buildings but that doesn't cure the crappy maps.I bought the deluxe version and I played it solidly for about 2 months and just gave up, the map was too small got boring and fights became repetitive.

Both games had issues but the map design is where it loses it for me. My most hated was Operation metro, just walls of people running into each other (fail). I bailed when close quarters came out and haven't bothered with the rest of the dlc's cause I've lost faith. I now play ARMA 2 and Planetside 2.
Darkhawk
Posted 05:41pm 12/1/13
Crysis is an average game at best. Very pretty, but that's it. $1 is still a bargain though, although if you have to install Origin to get it I'd recommend getting a pirate version!
tommoz
Posted 06:01pm 12/1/13
Ozzy, bf3 has bigger maps than any of the previous games. Operation metro is one out of like, 20 maps that is small LOL. F*** i hate the internet sometimes. Anyway if you got problems with origin get a good computer, mine works perfectly and iv never had a problem with it. Crysis for $1 is awesome as well
greazy
Posted 06:48pm 12/1/13
Anyone notice that ausgamers has an affiliate link?

Expect bans if you diss Origin or EA.
bepatient
Posted 07:08pm 12/1/13
I've already got it on Steam so I won't bother getting this, even for $1.

But as others have said, I've yet to experience any issues with Origin. The overlay is nice and non-intrusive, super fast download speeds and I've yet to have a crash or run into any issues you guys have faced.

I have no doubt it has it issues, as does Steam, but I feel it is 'the thing to do' to just rip on Origin because it is EA, when I have nothing but positive feedback from my time using it.

uPlay on the other hand is useless, intrusive and slow as s***.
breno
Posted 07:12pm 12/1/13
I havent had any issues with Origin, fast downloads. Actually i've only had good experience with Origin and EA staff, when I had an issue with BF2142 they worked with me on the issue. But then again we all have different experiences
Boxhead
Posted 07:20pm 12/1/13
Anyone notice that ausgamers has an affiliate link?

Are you new at this internet stuff?
bepatient
Posted 07:49pm 12/1/13
Internet? Ohhhh you mean the Googles.
trog
Posted 08:19pm 12/1/13
that's not really how it works greazy; maybe by the time your ban wears off you'll have thought about it some more and next time you won't post such a needlessly offensive comment... by the way, did you even read any of the comments above your post? Most of them are sharply critical of Origin.
Ozzy
Posted 10:22pm 12/1/13

i5 quadcore, 16gb ram GTX 570 SSD... windows 7... I can't explain it, but its weird... anyway I've uninstalled it.

I was talking about map design... leading into 2-3 choke points then it becomes wall vs wall... Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. The best maps were back to kardkand maps... revamped older ones.

The bad thing about Metro wasn't the size.. it was the design of the map. Nose hair canals, Seen crossing... etc...

BF2 and 1942 had an excellent modding community. Dice won't release this time because of "hacking", im suspicious....
Rdizz
Posted 12:37am 13/1/13
whats your battleog username ozzy?