We chat with Blizzard's Tom Chilton on all things World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor
Talking World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor with Tom Chilton
We take the open-world of fictional Kyrat for a spin.
Far Cry 4 Open-World Hands-On Preview
We take on the Dark Lord and his minions in Monolith's epic action-adventure romp
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor Review
We go hands-on with Ubisoft's next Assassin's Creed game, Unity, to see what all the revolution fuss is about
Assassin's Creed: Unity Hands-On Preview
Post by Dan @ 10:29am 20/12/12 | 22 Comments
A few short days after the launch of a surprise foundation release of The War Z, the option to purchase the post apocalyptic shooter MMO has been removed from its Steam page.

A statement from Valve offered to Kotaku indicates that it was the Steam platform-holder's decision, and that they are permitting full refunds for unhappy customers:
From time to time a mistake can be made and one was made by prematurely issuing a copy of War Z for sale via Steam. We apologize for this and have temporary removed the sale offering of the title until we have time to work with the developer and have confidence in a new build. Those who purchase the game and wish to continue playing it via Steam may do so. Those who purchased the title via Steam and are unhappy with what they received may seek a refund by creating a ticket at our support site here.
A follow-up statement from The War Z Lead Sergey Titov indicates that the developer expects that the measure is temporary:
We're making sure that our Store page is 100% correct this is why.

Bottom line – our end goal is to have satisfied and not angry customers, so this is more important for us than everything else.
However, given the severity of the issue, and the multiple ethically-questionable accusations being levelled by extremely vocal unsatisfied customers, we'd expect Valve to be doing some serious thinking before giving them the Steam green-light again.

the war zsteamvalve software

DeadlyDav0
Posted 10:30am 20/12/12
Boom headshot!
Deviouz
Posted 10:48am 20/12/12
eski
Posted 11:14am 20/12/12
Good news, it was sad to see that POS selling so much.

There is obviously a market for a game like this, and if it had been even half of what they said it was, and headed by a good dev team, it could've been great. Instead we got this cluster f***.

What a lot of wasted potential, if only THQ could have gotten that money.

Also, hehehe

original.jpg
DM
Posted 12:22pm 20/12/12
I like their official reply on this here with the awesome lines of

We also want to extend our apologies to all players who misread infromation about game features

Because you know, it was our fault for reading the features in a way that made it seem like the game wasn't a s***** hack rush job and they were flat out lying about most of the things on that list

At the same time it was clear that there were a number of customers that felt that information about the game was presented in a way that could have allowed for multiple interpretations.

I only know of 1 way you could of read that page, it was full of bulls*** that wasn't in the game at all.

I've never even played 1 of these DayZ like games but I get really pissed off when game devs lie to their player base.
Rohan
Posted 12:55pm 20/12/12
The devs for this game are beyond retarded. Releasing a game for sale that's still in alpha? false promises? abusing customers? WHAT COULD GO WRONG?!!1

Anyway, I'm glad I didn't buy into the hype of this piece of s***.
IVY_MiKe
Posted 01:56pm 20/12/12
Yeah, interesting 'bullet dodging' by the devs.

Trauma
Posted 02:10pm 20/12/12
Yeah, interesting 'bullet dodging' by the devs.Seems like they've got the 'micro-transaction' end of the game far better polished than the actual game itself.Ever since its announcement, WarZ seems to be money grubbing based on the successes of 'Dean "Rocket" Hall' and the work done in the ARMA 2 engine.I really enjoyed Day Z's play style, however devoid of non-PVP end game that it was. It was in NO way a 'casual' game, but as a simulation of 'survival horror' I've never played anything like it.

The micro transactions are polished because it, like most of the war z assets are pulled directly from their war inc pay-to-win shooter.
carson
Posted 02:26pm 20/12/12
This is so good. I'm loving every min of it.

I can't believe the attitude the devs are taking towards the customers. Plus around 24hours after being on steam they change the respawn rate to 4hours and you have to pay around $0.40USD to respawn earlier.

Hilarious.
Dazhel
Posted 03:11pm 20/12/12
Haha genius. how long before Counterstrike implements a 'pay to respawn' option? Ka-ching!
Julez
Posted 06:35pm 20/12/12
Lol the funny thing is i reckon people would still pay if they added that in Counterstrike.
greazy
Posted 11:42am 21/12/12
F***, the thought this was the Day Z standalone game.
Nathan
Posted 01:48pm 21/12/12
F***, the thought this was the Day Z standalone game.
As someone who hasnt bought either but is vaguely interested in this "new" genre and was aware the DayZ people were doing a standalone game, I thought the same thing.
greazy
Posted 02:09pm 21/12/12
Exactly same boat Nathan. I think the biggest flaw is endgame in the genre (tbh I haven't played the games). I think the game needs, and I hate to say it, more MMO features like crafting and groups. So end game would be trying to secure a town, holding it and building fortifications etc etc.
Trauma
Posted 03:07pm 21/12/12

That's what's on the cards for DayZ.
arkter
Posted 09:21pm 21/12/12
shame... War Inc was actually good - had a lot of fun when it was released...

Hate seeing that the people behind it are really uber douchebags
Dazhel
Posted 09:56pm 21/12/12
Do you know what TB was doing wrong arkter? How do you get weapons and items to defend yourself? The spiked bat he bought from the store looked like it did bugger all damage before he died and lost what he paid for.
Rdizz
Posted 10:49pm 21/12/12
haah that video is calssic
jmw2689
Posted 07:16am 22/12/12
I bet the Day Z crew are relieved. Anyone else notice Arma II: Combined Ops (which is required to run the mod version of Day Z) was in Steam's top sellers list, even before the sales started? I guess a lot of people who got suckered into War Z decided they'd support Day Z instead.
tvcars
Posted 05:11pm 26/12/12
All these s*** titles like Rage, Diablo 3 and now this are only making consumers more conservative with their wallets. I don't see how any of this can be good for the industry. Too many rogue agents pulling dirty tricks dumping buggy, rigged or just plain flawed and terminally ill games onto the marketplace. Its really sickening to watch.
Nerf Lord
Posted 06:10pm 26/12/12
Towns was released in an alpha or beta stage too, without animations or anything, which a fair few people were upset about.
DeadlyDav0
Posted 12:22am 27/12/12
Ive said it before, i enjoyed Rage. Far from perfect but a solid shooter that is my most memorable solo FPS in recent history. Red Faction Armageddon my current fave after a few hrs in.

Diablo 3 i wasnt a fan after i couldnt find a character i enjoyed a few hrs in. But ive never been a big RPG player. Never tried MMORPG. Also, i played solo and i swear many games that offer coop are better coop (borderlands 2 for example).

Towns i tried the steam demo. 19 hours played. Just purchased @ 50% off on steam. I dont know about the whole people raging thing.

Id be much more concerned with all the goddam s***** console ports that we are expected to pay full price for on PC that often dont work correctly, than what i think are a minority of people that rage after being suckered by previews / hype. Im sure there are times where people are mislead (such as what seems to be the case with War Z) but if somebody buys a game after reading some hyped preview 6months before release and expects it to be 100/100, then is disappointed with the final result then IMO thats their problem. I think back to seeing glowing Sniper Ghost Warrior previews talking it up yet it scored a 55/100 on metacritic and was pretty piss poor (i didnt fall for the previews but got it on sale for $5, good value @ that IMO). Or my $30 russian key BF3 experience that required hours of f*****g around with origin to get it to recognise internet connection (despite every other program on my PC having no internet connection issues) only to get a game that i would be disconnected from averaging once a game and with s***** hit detection despite f*****g loving BFBC2. Do i rage @ BF3 and its devs? No, because i guess im in the minority as many guys on here f*****g love it.

Dont get me wrong. I dont mean to rage or bash your opinion. I just think there are clear lines between what War Z seems to have done, and a game that somebody doesnt like. Hell, i didnt like borderlands 2 but plenty of guys on here loved it.
WirlWind
Posted 12:31am 27/12/12

For starters, he wasn't exactly looking terribly hard. He also wasn't being stealthy, plus he wasn't hitting them in the head.

They die in a few hits if you can aim.

::EDIT:: And even the torch can kill them in a few hits.

Also, weapons are strewn around the place, but ammo is very scarce. All guns come with a full clip, but you're better off using a melee for searching towns.

It's actually quite an easy game to deal with zombies (though I played before they upped zombie counts), he was just doing it wrong and hating hardcore because he makes money off it.