to the moon, athena
AusGamers caught up with 2K Australia and Randy Pitchford to discuss the recently revealed Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and why Australia is making an impact on the moon. Click for more!
inquisitive minds
AusGamers managed to catch-up with BioWare's Cameron Lee, an Aussie expat who serves as a producer on Dragon Age: Inquisition. Check out our full interview!
oracle of ages
Batman: Arkham Knight is set to be Rocksteady's final in the Arkham series, so it's fitting that it's just so damn big. And Batmobiles. Nuff said. Click for more!
Trial By Dirt Bike
We take a look at the fourth title in the Trials series, and the first to hit next-gen platforms. Does it live up to the name? Find out in our review!
Post by Eorl @ 11:42am 07/12/12 | 10 Comments
Joystiq are reporting that recent NDP results have appeared for the US November sales, putting Nintendo's recent Wii U console at 425,000 units sold - at least for the seven days that it counted towards the NDP (the Nov. 18 launch through Nov. 24). This puts it just shy of 50,000 units less than what the original Wii console sold during its first week of launch in America, a definite success in anyone's books.

Nintendo has only provided sales on one Wii U game so far, with New Super Mario Bros. U selling more than 243,000 units, an attach rate of nearly 60 percent. The press release also details that in the November month the 3DS sold 540,000 units while the Wii sold 420,000 units. Nintendo has also detailed that in its 97th month, the DS has sold 370,000, making it Nintendo's most profitable handheld device with 53 million overall sales to date.

Posted 11:48am 07/12/12
Wasn't that week the big sales week though, black friday and everything? Where they sold 750,000 xbox 360's on a single day? Doesn't really seem all that successful in comparison, I mean its not like its a failure, but I'm sure they would have been hoping for a lot more.
Hogfather
Posted 11:52am 07/12/12
We stood in Toys R Us last night and I held a Wii U Premium box in my hands, finishing up Christmas shopping for the boys.

Put it down, went and bought a few hundred bucks of random toys and games instead. I had wifey all lined up, was my call, couldn't do it..
Eorl
Posted 11:54am 07/12/12
Possibly, but you also have to take into fact a lot more people are willing to buy a console that has an already established market with games and hardware then take a risk on a new console with a new launch line-up. Also the Xbox was dirt cheap in America's Black Friday sales, so I could see a lot of people buying one "just cause".

Nintendo are probably happy enough that it sold just near the amount that the Wii U did, and we'll have to wait and see how well it did elsewhere, especially in Japan.
Midda
Posted 11:53am 07/12/12
I'm pretty sure that was 750k Xbox 360s over a week, not a day. The Wii U ran out of stock everywhere too, which puts a hard limit on it.
trog
Posted 12:27pm 07/12/12
Unless it's a Nintendo console. Wii shattered records all over the place.
eski
Posted 01:06pm 07/12/12
Man I would be shitting myself if I was on the next Playstation or Xbox team. Launching a console in today's market must feel a lot like "going over the top" in WW1.
trog
Posted 04:29pm 07/12/12
Yeh, I was wondering if it is worse to be whoever is going to launch second though :)
Posted 04:41pm 07/12/12
I dunno, I think theres plenty of people out there who'd buy a next gen console, when you look at how many copies of COD sell on XBox 360 and PS3 combined, or Halo, or Final Fantasy, etc; that right there is a pretty huge instant market. I think a large part of it is just Nintendo's confusing marketting for the Wii U, a lot of people don't even know what it is, and if they do, they think "Well I already have a Wii, why do I want another one" because Nintendo have utterly failed at making it clear that its actually a whole new console and not just a Wii with a new accessory. I don't think its necessarily a reflection on the quality of the console even, but I think its the worst marketting I've seen since the Dreamcast.
Nathan
Posted 05:52pm 07/12/12
The problem facing Xbox and Microsoft is they're going to have to push another AU$500-$600 (or more) device out to get noticably better graphics, and then you're stuck with only core gamers being interested again.
DK
Posted 06:51pm 07/12/12
Pretty sure they only care about the 'core' gamers. Hence no update to hardware in a billion years