to the moon, athena
AusGamers caught up with 2K Australia and Randy Pitchford to discuss the recently revealed Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and why Australia is making an impact on the moon. Click for more!
Welcome to Planet Nexus
We take a brief dip in the MMO pool with Carbine Studios' WildStar, and find out just what Planet Nexus has in store for us. Check it out in our preview for more!
oracle of ages
Batman: Arkham Knight is set to be Rocksteady's final in the Arkham series, so it's fitting that it's just so damn big. And Batmobiles. Nuff said. Click for more!
Death Awaits!
It's finally here - has Blizzard managed to deliver on a series promise with Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls? We answer that question in great detail in our in-depth review!
Post by Hogfather @ 01:18pm 04/12/12 | 18 Comments
A Valve developed has confirmed on their DOTA 2 forums that we're getting an Australian server here on shore:
The equipment for our Australian (not Austrian) datacenter has just arrived in Sydney. It will be a few weeks to get this racked and configured. But we should be up and running by January 2013.
Good news for Australian gamers. promoted/edited forum item

DeadlyDav0
Posted 01:32pm 04/12/12
konstie
Posted 01:35pm 04/12/12
Pretty sweet
Dazhel
Posted 01:47pm 04/12/12
"The equipment for our Australian (not Austrian) datacenter has just arrived in Sydney.

Phew, if it was for their Austrian datacenter somebody at DHL screwed up bad.
trog
Posted 02:00pm 04/12/12
Been playing this quite a bit recently and haven't noticed any lag, although now I know it is a problem I can now blame my terrible performance on it.
d^
Posted 02:06pm 04/12/12
haha nice one trog. This is pretty good news, I wonder if they'll catch up to LoL with player base and viewers for streams etc.
DeadlyDav0
Posted 02:14pm 04/12/12
I dont think lag is a major problem but with 150-200 ping i swear there are times i hit a key and it doesnt get off before the enemy does whatever. Delay in animations aside of course.
carson
Posted 02:42pm 04/12/12
This is awesome news. I've become really good with a 250ping (US West) though. The only thing I suck the most at is last hits before level 3. It's hard with such low damage. Other than that, I don't notice it too much.

Though I will probably keep playing on US West for the time being. I've made so many great friends that I love playing with.

I hate SEA. I had too many bad experiences with jerks, and it's hard to communicate with people who don't speak english. In a game that relies on communication I'd rather add 100ms more to my ping and be able to talk to my team mates.
Crash
Posted 02:45pm 04/12/12
I'm so glad we are getting Aussie servers. I usually go random and hate it if i get a character like pudge - where timing is important for his hook. I can never seem to get much because the delay on it can be bad.

If anyone wants to add me on steam - https://dotabuff.com/players/8160/heroes
Hogfather
Posted 02:52pm 04/12/12
The game is pretty good at hiding lag from you under 300ms but it exists and matters, its a competitive game where timing and reaction time counts. Adding 200ms to animations blows.

Early game last hit timing is really hard with 200+ ping vs 50-100 ping locals. In a tight competitive game this can be really bad (especially if you're trying to hold mid and deny farm to drow or sniper etc). Winning the race to mana boots for example is a big deal for most lanes. Once someone realises you are playing in lag they can juke you relentlessly.

Everyone I play dota with is Australian so we'll probably just stop queueing USW or SEA once this is out.
Eorl
Posted 04:47pm 04/12/12
I just want a midwars variant similar to their Halloween event so I can enjoy being bad and not having to worry that it is affecting leaderboards or stats.
Hogfather
Posted 04:56pm 04/12/12

Cowie
Posted 05:17pm 04/12/12
wow valve doing something blizzard needed to do years ago....
Eorl
Posted 05:25pm 04/12/12
Hey was it you who cleaned up and promoted me Eorl? Thanks anyway whoever it was for NOT STEALING MY POAST! :pEdit: BTW Eorl, you might be interested in the unranked multiplayer mode in HOTS that I'll be talking about in the beta review. Play ranked matches without it affecting your MMR, sounds like a good idea probably.

Eh, never been into StarCraft 2. Loved original but just couldn't get myself into the groove. I think all MOBA/RTS titles should have some form of unranked play though, especially the MOBA genre as it brings quite a lot of hatred out of people (myself included) when others can't perform well or just want to play around without the fear of getting bad ranks.
konstie
Posted 07:16pm 04/12/12
add me on steam for a game - name as per ausgamers.
Dodgymon
Posted 09:24pm 04/12/12
I have to say I don't like playing on SE asia because of the language thing and tend to often opt for the higher ping US servers just so they speak english.
Either way this is a win. If only Blizzard followed suit.
DeadlyDav0
Posted 01:10am 06/12/12
Added konstie. Crash's link didnt work.

Played a few games today. Hate it when i play with some dude who has 300+wins yet somehow doesnt understand the importance of avoiding early game autoattacks when pushing the lane isnt a good idea. 1 win away from my own 300th win, hopefully will crack it tomorrow.

Might have to try some USW games.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 08:23am 06/12/12

OMFG. Awesome. About goddam time. Sick of SE Asia servers and their fucking ".... la".<

I play on US West because SEA server are full of douches. The SEA servers have a much higher rate of a player declining a match, people taking too long to load and the game failing or simply just quiting during a match.
Ever sine I swapped to US West those incidents dropped way way down. Totally worth the extra 30-50ms pingtime (sometimes more).

Aus servers will be interesting, as long as it doesn't take longer then 5 mins to find a game..
DeadlyDav0
Posted 02:13pm 06/12/12
3 games USW. Much better. Less game declines as you said, they speak english, more people with mics, better teamwork.

More a matter of the better team winning rather than the team with less retards that was SEA.