We take a look at Ubisoft's next iteration in the Far Cry universe to see just what is on offer
Badger Badger Badger - Far Cry 4 Reviewed
We chat with Blizzard RTS veteran Allen Dilling on the past, present and future of StarCraft!
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Developer Interview
The first expansion for Company of Heroes 2 has landed. How does one attack Adrennes Assault? Read our review to find out!
Company of Heroes 2: Adrennes Assault Review
Post by Eorl @ 01:45pm 07/11/12 | 14 Comments
Microsoft has revealed that the recently released Xbox SmartGlass for Android has now made its way over to iOS devices. The app features the ability to interact with your Xbox 360, in some cases changing the tablet or phone into a secondary screen for viewing.

Here are a list of some of the features:
  • Navigate your Xbox 360 with swipe and tap
  • Use your phone’s keyboard to type to your Xbox 360
  • Browse the Internet on your Xbox 360 with full keyboard and zooming
  • Play, pause, fast forward, rewind, and stop videos and music on your Xbox 360
  • Search the full Xbox catalog of music, video, and games
  • Enjoy rich, interactive experiences from select game and entertainment content creators
  • Track and compare your achievements with your Xbox friends
  • Change up your 3D avatar
  • Message your Xbox friends
  • Edit your Xbox profile
  • You can find the iOS app over at the iTunes store, or the Android app at the Google store.

xbox 360smartglassiosandroid

crazymorton
    Posted 06:39pm 07/11/12
    Sounds good. I use my iPad while watching vids to control my Yamaha HT system so this will be a handy addition if it works well.
    natslovR
    Posted 06:49pm 07/11/12
    Read this a few days ago:
    SmartGlass is really hit or miss. It's a thoroughly frustrating experience trying to stream video to an Xbox. Connecting to the Xbox itself is intermittent. It craps out after a every few minutes (maybe the Surface falls asleep?).

I love my Xbox; looking forward to Xbox 3. I've tried SmartGlass (clarification: the My Xbox Live controller app by MSFT) on the iPad too. So if SmartGlass is the selling point for you, just use an iPad. Keep in mind though, that the SmartGlass on iPad is just as terrible as it is on the Surface. Mediocrity and failure is cross platform! Yay!
    Whoop
    Posted 07:05pm 07/11/12
    Man, I haven't touched my xbox in months. Gotta be at least 6 months. I should dust it off and give this a try.

How does it actually connect to the xbox? I read this bit: This app requires an Xbox membership to sign in. Available for most Android 4.0+ smartphones, with WVGA screen resolution or higher. which makes me believe everything you do on your phone goes to the internet, somewhere off to MS, then back to your xbox. Is that right? If so, that's pretty damn homo. What if you don't have the xbox hooked up to the internet? I don't have a gold subscription so I see no point in having mine connected. I could connect it but then again, if all I wanted out of it was a QWERTY keyboard, I'd just plug my USB keyboard into the xbox, oh wait, I already do.
    crazymorton
    Posted 07:43pm 07/11/12
    Mine connected straight away by logging in with my Xbox profile details which is my hotmail account.

So yeah you would need it hooked up to the net. What did you expect? Some sort of Ir or BT thing? No BT on Xbox and for Ir an adaptor would be needed.

Haven't played to much with it, seems to just be a simple interface for controlling a few things.
    kappa
    Posted 08:06pm 07/11/12
    Just tried it on my iphone. Pretty useless imo.
    Whoop
    Posted 08:08pm 07/11/12

My TV connects to my phone through the home network, no external networks needed. This is what I was expecting. Once again MS gets it wrong.
    crazymorton
    Posted 08:26pm 07/11/12

Oh yeah, that's what I was hoping also. That's what my HT system does simply via the IP. No such luck I'm afraid.
    Posted 12:16am 08/11/12
    Was playing around with it tonight on my galaxy nexus, pretty cool, but I'm not entirely sure theres much point to be able to control my xbox with my phone, especially when I already have a remote for my xbox. I guess it might be more useful when using apps or games that feed stuff back to it, but do any of those even exist yet?
    Linker
    Posted 12:54am 08/11/12
    Surely it just all works on your wireless IP network?

If it needs internet connectivity perhaps it's just for the extra features, and it'd be pretty bad if they put it behind the paywall that is XBL Gold. I wouldn't be surprised though.
    Whoop
    Posted 01:33am 08/11/12

might be nice if it acts like the screen on logitech keyboards, showing ammo counts or whatever in certain FPS's or other vital stats in racing games.
    Linker
    Posted 02:15am 08/11/12
    Pretty sure that's the whole point of Smart Glass, to at least help counteract the way WiiU is going.
    no you hang up
    Posted 08:45am 08/11/12
    samsung allshare all ready does this in my home.
    Posted 11:34am 08/11/12

Yeah, I think thats the plan. I remember at E3 when they demo'd it and they were watching an episode of game of thrones through some xbox HBO app we'll probably never get, and as it changed between scenes, on the smartglass it showed a map of Westeros which moved to the location the current scene was happening in and gave info about the characters/houses involved, etc. That looked pretty neat, but yeah, don't think any of that stuff is actually available to use atm.

I guess its nifty that it can log into xbox live separate from your xbox too, like I could login to xbox live at work, send messages to friends, mess around with my profile, whatever. Once again though, dunno how useful that really is or if I'd ever actually use it.
    skythra
    Posted 12:30pm 08/11/12
    Spend 40 000 on developing cheap application in 3 months.

Receive hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of advertising through app stores and media sites.

Profit.