beware your nemesis
Blizzard spoke with us recently about what separates the Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition experience over the PC and spoke about platform differences. Click here!
inquiring minds
We chat with friend of the site Cameron Lee about Dragon Age Inquisition's endgame content, theorycrafting, tactical play and much more. Click here for our interview!
welcome to you're doom
AusGamers got a 15-minute live sneak-peek at the totally reimagined Doom at this year's QuakeCon. Read our in-depth first-look impressions right here!
highway to the danger zone
We caught up with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's game director, Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, to talk all things Witcher, monsters and open-world! Click here!
Post by Dan @ 11:51am 26/10/12 | 151 Comments
Microsoft has officially launched the much-discussed Windows 8, with the OS now available on a variety of new PCs and mobile computers, and Microsoft's own debut tablet, the Microsoft Surface now also shipping in it's first Windows RT-powered form.

Link to Windows8 Upgrade Assistant that will check to see if your machine is worthy of the 39$ deal and if anything may cause you issues hardware/software wise.
Windows 8 will be available for download to upgrade existing qualifying Windows PCs in more than 140 markets worldwide and 37 languages at www.microsoft.com including Australia. More than 200 devices, including Surface, will be available to Australian customers.

“With the launch of Windows 8, Microsoft is unveiling a reimagined Windows to the world,” said Pip Marlow, managing director, Microsoft Australia. “Whether you want a tablet or a PC, whether you want to consume or create, whether you want to work or play – Windows 8 delivers a personalised experience that fits your unique style and needs.”
More Australian-specific details on the launch can be found in this press release, and previous Windows users looking to take advantage of the cheap $39 upgrade offer can start that process over here, or this $15 upgrade offer for those that have purchased a Windows 7 PC after June 2012. (thanks ara).

mental
Posted 01:40pm 26/10/12
Yeah I used Terra Copy for ages, but then it stopped working and it wouldn't work on any other os or hardware that I tried it on so gave up on it.
Eorl
Posted 01:51pm 26/10/12
I picked it up at the midnight launch and installed it. Enjoying it so far, didn't take me long to get used to the the start screen, and its easy to switch to the desktop. Also running 2 screens the desktop is always up no the 2nd monitor so no big deal for me.

Cool thing I like with dual monitors is that the start screen can be brought up on one without putting the other on a blank screen or something. Also handy when you have something important on screen one so you bring it up on screen two for ease of access.
parabol
Posted 02:07pm 26/10/12
It's faster, starting, shutting down, opening explorer, starting apps/games.

You get that perception with any freshly installed OS.
Refresh your pc is handy, like reset to factory defaults for smart phones.

With significant limitations/gotchas.
The cloud, I find it handy have all my settings/wallpapers/etc being linked so fresh install, bang everything is how I like it, load ninite and I'm ready to go.

Infrequent auto-configuration of basic settings is not exactly wow-worthy.
It's Windows 7b with a fullscreen start menu instead of a little bit in the corner. Once you get over the wtf factor I find it easier/quicker to find s*** that I don't use that often (things I do are pinned to taskbar).

I already use the taskbar heavily in Win7. The only thing Win8 does is clutter the f*** out of the screen with oversized tablet-friendly icons and take away the regular start-menu option. So it takes away, rather than gives.

All I got was that the file-copy feature is good. The rest comes across as MSDN-subscriber bias.
mental
Posted 02:14pm 26/10/12
Meh, I'm not a ms employee, it's more refined and I find it quicker and easier to use.
Hogfather
Posted 02:26pm 26/10/12
You get that perception with any freshly installed OS.

There are changes to boot behaviour affecting performance. UEFI integration and hibernating the kernel are new Windows 8 OS features that improve boot times and should persist beyond the new OS honeymoon period.

All I got is that you've arbitrarily decided that anyone who likes windows8 is a MS fanboy.
Raven
Posted 02:27pm 26/10/12
No thanks, I'll stick with Windows 7. I like having a taskbar.

However the new MSI Ultrabook looks incredible, and like it would work well for Windows 8.
mental
Posted 02:53pm 26/10/12
Windows 8 has a taskbar, it has a fullscreen start menu instead of a small one now, if that's what you meant?
Hogfather
Posted 02:29pm 26/10/12
No thanks, I'll stick with Windows 7. I like having a taskbar.

You don;t lose your taskbar?
Eorl
Posted 02:44pm 26/10/12
I found this article on Kotaku to be quite consistent with my thoughts on the new OS. It's a long read, but I really think it shows that the "walled off garden" that many keep citing is really not there.
bepatient
Posted 03:52pm 26/10/12
Been using WIn8 as my main os for a couple of months now and I'm loving it tbh.

Highlights for me
Really good for dual monitors. The sticky corners are a big help.
Startup/shutdown/sleep is definitely much faster.
File copy is finally not useless. No need for Teracopy any more.
I quite like the metro to desktop interface. I never used the start menu so its no loss to me. Hit the win button and type what I want or pin it to the taskbar.
Love how you can have your desktop take 3/4 of screen and on the other 1/4 have an app such as Tweetro.

Lowlights for me
Secondary apps keeps crashing (tried multiple twitter apps including the Official windows one). Its a silent crash though, its simply just closed and thats the end of it. I've only really tried the twitter apps so not sure how common this is.
The power button is a pain to find. Literally had to google search to find out how to shut down.
When searching (win button and type you keywords) items are grouped by type which makes sense but it means you have to navigate to the type apps to find. A little hard to explain.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, we finally can have a taskbar across both screens without needing additional software
parabol
Posted 03:47pm 26/10/12

So far I've mostly read apologist and "it's not that bad" comments from people who have some sort of existing investment or interest in Microsoft products (via their MSDN subscription), which is a strong indication of bias. So yes, I will continue to "decide" they are MS fanbois and wait for real reviews to come out.

As I said apart from the file copy feature, I don't see anything to woo me into wanting to upgrade to Win8.
bepatient
Posted 03:50pm 26/10/12

Totally see where you're coming from. There are no stand out features to make me NEED an update. The boot/file transfer speed improvement is a big help for me but its never been a big enough deal in the first place.

With that said though, its a very fair priced OS so I'm happy to give them my money.
Posted 03:58pm 26/10/12
So you can still do like you do in Windows 7, where you hit the windows key to bring up the start menu and type part of a program name and it filters the menu down to those programs then you can click it to run it? I've been using the start menu like that all the time now since someone mentioned it in a previous thread and its extremely handy.

Like for example I want to start Teamspeak, I bring up the start menu, type "team" and it filters everything and Teamspeak shows up as the top (or only) item then I click it to start it, rather than hunt through the start menu finding where it is.

F*** pinning things to the taskbar though, I hope thats not the recommended or encouraged way of doing things in Windows 8 because I hate that in Windows 7. First thing I do with a clean install is unpin everything. My taskbar is for tasks, not pinned s*** =\
scuzzy
Posted 04:04pm 26/10/12
Are the items in the taskbar representative of the monitor the application is running on?
ravn0s
Posted 04:05pm 26/10/12
if i was currently upgrading my PC i would probably invest in win8 but i wont be doing that for a couple more years. win9 might be out by then if win8 bombs.
bepatient
Posted 04:12pm 26/10/12

Yes you absolutely can. The only element of it I don't like is everything is split into groups - which makes perfect sense - I just don't like it.

They sure are :D

I'm pretty sure its optional so if you don't like you can turn it off.
koopz
Posted 04:16pm 26/10/12

I've always configured desktops/laptops to shutdown upon pressing the physical power button on the computer. This'll be no different.

last edited by koopz at 16:16:23 26/Oct/12
bepatient
Posted 04:19pm 26/10/12
How about sleep? Or do you have a button on your keyboard?
Hogfather
Posted 04:27pm 26/10/12

So you just outright ignored the bit where I explained why boot is faster and repeated that your opinion was right anyway.

That's so parabol.
scuzzy
Posted 04:27pm 26/10/12
I'm pretty sure its optional so if you don't like you can turn it off.
Most excellent, I've been using ultramon and then later display fusion just to achieve this functionality, glad it's in built now.
Nerf Lord
Posted 04:28pm 26/10/12
Question, if you press WindowsKey+R in Windows 8, does it still just bring up the run dialogue, or does it switch to a fullscreen menu? Because that's my ultimate text deformatter as well as create-text-to-paste-elsewhere method (e.g. copying text from an image on screen, just typing into the run dialogue).
bepatient
Posted 04:32pm 26/10/12

At work so don't have my box to test but I'm 95% sure it brings up the good old run box
Mass
Posted 04:46pm 26/10/12
Yes brings up the run box
Nerf Lord
Posted 04:49pm 26/10/12
Woo, thanks guys.
parabol
Posted 05:10pm 26/10/12
So you just outright ignored the bit where I explained why boot is faster

The question is, do halved boot times affect me when I reboot only once a fortnight/month?

The answer is obvious, hence my continued disinterest.

(it's so Hogfather to miss the big picture, as always)
Whoop
Posted 05:21pm 26/10/12
See my previous opinion piece for my full run down, but so far its great. I actually have difficulty using Windows 7 now because I'm so use to the start screen, it really is a handy thing having all my most used apps right there.Well technically you still have to do that in Windows 7 because hitting the start button would minimise anything/overlay your current view. You can still hit Win key to get back out of it and into previous window or hit atl+tab to cycle. Everything still works the exact same as Win 7 except it has a full screen of the start menu, but this time with pins.Also you can access the cloud service from any non-windows machine as well, its built into their email/live service.

What? I don't know what kind of windows you be usin foo' but I can maximize windows explorer or my video player and still be able to get at the start menu without minimizing or alt tabbing anything.

I pity da foo' who uses full screen start menus.

Funny how everyone talks about the Apple Reality Distortion Field and now everyone is jumping on the MS RDF bandwagon about how a s***** tablet interface is best for their PC.

I'd hate to use the interface from my phone on my PC. Windows 8 can go DIAF.
parabol
Posted 05:27pm 26/10/12
Funny how everyone talks about the Apple Reality Distortion Field

It's a New Toy(tm) Distortion Field.

Basically early adopters of any technology/product generally:

1. Want to show off their new toy
2. Want to show off the fact that they have early and/or exclusive access to said toy, hence being a trend-setter/VIP.
3. Try to downplay any shortcomings of their toy, as that would indicate a poor judgement of purchase/invested-time on their part. Can't have that.
Hogfather
Posted 05:49pm 26/10/12

The answer is obvious, hence my continued disinterest.

(it's so Hogfather to miss the big picture, as always)

Its not all about what you want, or your interest level, lol?

Big picture bulls*** aside, I was explaining that (contrary to your statements) in this OS there ARE improvements to boot times, beyond the normal new install honeymoon. The reason they bothered was that most Windows users power off their computer daily, so your personal experience doesn't matter much.

Edit: Back on topic, I'm using it at home and like it, but I'm unsure if other people will get on board quickly.

It took me a while to accept the changes and learn the new UI tricks, and to be honest I'm not really a fan of the ultra-minimalist UI feel MS is going in. The implementation of the new 'screen edge' features is also a bit wonky somehow along the seam between two monitors.
bepatient
Posted 05:57pm 26/10/12

I actually think the 6px sticky corners work quite well. They do occasionally get stuck but overall I think I prefer having it there.
euphoria
Posted 06:28pm 26/10/12
Agreed. I've been running Win 8 in a VM on one of my monitors and it was a pain to stop in the corner to bring up the charms. Was pleasantly surprised about the sticky-ness now that my host in Win 8 across two monitors.
paveway
Posted 07:42pm 26/10/12
so i wonder what kind of rotation microsoft have planned for windows, a new one ever 3 years would be the goal ?
Hogfather

2000 - 2000
ME - 2000
XP - 2001
Vista - 2007
7 - 2009
8 -2012

Aside from the long XP anomaly and turn of the century version shenanigans, its always been every few years.

The XP thing so close to 2000 and ME can really be explained by ME being a pile of s*** and people using 2000 server instead, which IIRC prompted the NT kernel's move to the desktop?
glynd
Posted 08:52pm 26/10/12
loving it so far. I found chucking the task bar on top and setting it to auto-hide really makes the "desktop" blend in well with the while UI.
SquashedDuck
Posted 09:18pm 26/10/12
Well I can't work out how, maybe someone can tell me?

How do you search the new Microsoft App Store?
glynd
Posted 09:24pm 26/10/12
Well I can't work out how, maybe someone can tell me?

How do you search the new Microsoft App Store?

just start typing
Thundercracker
Posted 09:25pm 26/10/12
Start+X is your friend in windows 8
SquashedDuck
Posted 09:26pm 26/10/12
just start typing

Doh. A visual clue would have been nice. Just a search icon please? lol
glynd
Posted 09:36pm 26/10/12
Doh. A visual clue would have been nice. Just a search icon please? lol

the settings on the side (move mouse to top right corner) is relative to the program you're using. typing just skips the whole movement to the search ;)

*EDIT* that smile made me seem smug. didn't mean it to be haha.
paveway
Posted 10:32pm 26/10/12
true that hoggy i guess xp has distorted my view of it

carry on
Fixah
Posted 10:37pm 26/10/12
Downloading now, will report back in 30 minutes. If you don't hear from me at 10:05pm then i'm stuck in limbo somewhere between 2 windows, so someone please call jeebus to come sabe me.
Whoop
Posted 10:42pm 26/10/12
Didn't people just use win2kpro? I don't recall any of my friends ever using the server edition on their gaming PC's.

Funny story about ME being universally known as rubbish, it was the ONLY version of windows that would run stable on one of my friends PC's. Every other version would crash but ME would run wonderful. None of us knew what the f***.
Hogfather
Posted 11:07pm 26/10/12

Sorry I brain barfed a little; was having a f*****g meltdown at work this afternoon. Never, ever agree to client deadlines ><

Anyway, yeh 2000 pro was only intended for business users who needed AD and super power users. Gaming rigs and home computers were supposed to stick to 98SE and (lol) ME, but 2k (pro and server) was so awesome that everyone went that way. That was the death of the 9x kernel and we got XP a couple years later.
Grundar
Posted 11:20pm 26/10/12
2k Pro was rock solid stable, never had a crash with it beyond hardware failure.

ME was a lesson in why you don't buy an incremental upgrade (ie from Win 98 SE - which was great) that is much worse than what it is trying to replace.

Still have copies of 98SE, Win 2k and XP laying around heh, getting my money's worth out of those purchases :P

Looking at getting Win 8 to upgrade from an old XP computer, just because really. Should see if XP is an upgrade path for Win 8.
mental
Posted 11:42pm 26/10/12
Yeah xp, vista, 7 and 8 release candidate are upgrade paths.
parabol
Posted 11:55pm 26/10/12
I had to buy WinME as Telstra wouldn't hook up cable at my house without seeing a physical Windows disc in my possession.

1. Dumbest and most useless ISP policy ever
2. Worst software purchase ever
3x0dus
Posted 12:00am 27/10/12
Purchased the Upgrade this afternoon and installed it, all running well now.

bit to get used to the Metro interface, but starting to enjoy it.

My dads pc with a recently installed windows7 install with no CD key etc, when running the Windows8 upgrade checker was eligible for the $39.99 install =]
Midda
Posted 12:18am 27/10/12
Basically, what I'm reading here is pretty much everyone who's actually used it seems to think it's a decent upgrade, and people who haven't used it are saying it's s***. Is that an accurate enough summation?
3x0dus
Posted 12:21am 27/10/12
has anyone actualy got a media pack key from

it says
"Thank you
Your product key will be emailed to you. If the email doesn’t arrive in your inbox, be sure to check your junk email folder."

But yet to arrive (checked junk)
bepatient
Posted 12:59am 27/10/12
Purchased the Upgrade this afternoon and installed it, all running well now.

How does the upgrade work? Does it provide you with a full ISO or do you have to install windows 7 and the physically upgrade every time you want to reinstall?
konstie
Posted 01:21am 27/10/12
i really don't mind the upgrade (from vista) - my 4 year old rig is running significantly faster.

edit: argh, lost all my favorites - why didn't they come across!?
3x0dus
Posted 01:56am 27/10/12

Unsure, win 7? U entered the old key to validate.

windows 8 has the "remove everything and reinstall", so maybe that will carry across.

You can always get the windows8 evaluation version to install, the run the upgrade to pro AFAIK.
Fixah
Posted 03:14am 27/10/12
This is happening with me as well. Every time i click on photo, video, music metro shortcuts etc it just opens nothing and goes back to full screen start bar. What the flunk? kind of defeats the purpose of having a fancy start bar if none of the apps don't work.
3x0dus
Posted 08:36am 27/10/12
Same happens to me, it was avast causing it.

Disable avast worked fine.

Did avast program update, all working again.
Whoop
Posted 08:55am 27/10/12

1. Dumbest and most useless ISP policy ever
2. Worst software purchase ever

What the hell? I'd say that would be an individual contractor thing, they never asked for any such thing with me and I had cable since just before they brought in that notorious 3gb quota, years ago. That would have been what, windows 98 era? I had one of those big huge grey modems.
Thundercracker
Posted 09:20am 27/10/12
I would recommend moving from windows 7. 8 is nice, incremental improvements on top of 7 but solid nonetheless. Tiles are OK, more of a fancy start menu. I still spend 99% of my time on the desktop.

The only thing that really annoys me is the s***** messenger app.

I get my software through my mdsn subscription so it's an easy choice for me.
3x0dus
Posted 09:39am 27/10/12
i agree on the messenger side, its no where near as easy to use as normal msn messenger.

Tho the new Hyper-V (Virtual PC) software IMO is amazingly better compared to Virtual PC 2007

last edited by 3x0dus at 09:39:44 27/Oct/12
euphoria
Posted 09:49am 27/10/12
has anyone actualy got a media pack key from

it says
"Thank you

But yet to arrive (checked junk)

I requested a key yesterday and the email only arrived this morning. So hopefully yours has arrived by now too.
natslovR
Posted 10:07am 27/10/12
how to get google back on win8

Fixah
Posted 10:41am 27/10/12
Same happens to me, it was avast causing it.

Disable avast worked fine.

Did avast program update, all working again.
Nice one. Avast wasn't compitable with windows 8 so yeah the update fixed it. Suddently there's more things to do explore now!
HerbalLizard
Posted 10:43am 27/10/12
So what do we think of office 2013?
jmr
Posted 10:58am 27/10/12
What is the upgrade process like?

I'm running Win 7 on a MacBook Air (never boot OSX) will it behave if I run an upgrade?
Skitza
Posted 11:10am 27/10/12
Doubtful jmr but try and let us know :)

Can we use the full install Iso to upgrade? Probably sounds dumb but I thought I'd ask..
3x0dus
Posted 11:30am 27/10/12
If you have Upgraded from win7 and on an SSD (with a small amount of space)

You can remove "Previous Version of windows" akak windows.old

Netted me 25gb of free space, Which is incredible, what is the footprint of windows8 ?? it would seem tiny in comparison to win7.

last edited by 3x0dus at 11:30:17 27/Oct/12
Obes
Posted 11:41am 27/10/12
Be aware of device support issues.

G15 keyboards for instance can be annoying to get working under Windows 8 at the moment. No Nvello Cache drives (eg. Synapse) work. Loads of drivers for things like sound cards are betas (and are buggy).

imo Buy it now while it's cheap and wait until SP1 :P
HyperJ
Posted 11:54am 27/10/12
How is the DVD $15 cheaper than the download?
Thundercracker
Posted 12:03pm 27/10/12
Upgrade process from windows 7 was very smooth and easy for me.
konstie
Posted 12:27pm 27/10/12
How is the DVD $15 cheaper than the download?

i think you pay $15 on top to get it sent..
kappa
Posted 02:08pm 27/10/12
I upgraded for $15 so it's worth a shot.

I'm going to try and exist in metro without having to go to desktop. I'm not much of a power user and most my time is spent in games and chrome. See how I go :S

But it seems ok so far. Very steep learning curve though.
Mosfx
Posted 10:22pm 27/10/12
+1 with a W7 -> W8 update using Microsoft online, very smooth. Still getting used to the new layout, that getyourgoogleback.com video is awesome as the new IE is very.... different. The only issue I've had is with a dual screen monitor when I start up my computer it thinks I'm running two screens and extends a desktop to nowhere...
Posted 12:07am 28/10/12
For the $15 thing, does it actually verify your proof of purchase, or can you just put in your key and tell it you bought it this year after june and get the $15 deal?
shad
Posted 12:25am 28/10/12

Never asked for any proof of purchase.
thermite
Posted 12:42am 28/10/12
I tried to get it for $15 and I got rejected
Hogfather
Posted 10:40am 28/10/12
Never asked for any proof of purchase.
I tried to get it for $15 and I got rejected

Sounds like its a key series thing?
TicMan
Posted 10:58am 28/10/12
I've been running Win8 for the ~2 months (ish) and think it's pretty good. I use it in Parallels on my MBP for my dev environment and it runs significantly faster than Win7 does. I use it at home on my gaming machine as well. I got it as part of my BizSpark subscription but if I didn't, I'd still probably buy it now because the price point is so low and I figure I might as well be on the latest version of things.
Obes
Posted 11:04am 28/10/12

The key will have been an OEM key activated after June this year.
HerbalLizard
Posted 11:27am 28/10/12
Just throwing it out there but why not buy a technet sub and get all the other stuff as well. I am not using a technet sub at the moment (SPLA) and win8 ent

last edited by HerbalLizard at 11:27:35 28/Oct/12
kappa
Posted 11:30am 28/10/12
I just picked any random date in the period they tell you, chose Harvey Norman, HP, and picked a model off their site. Worked for me.
Midda
Posted 12:06pm 28/10/12
They've changed the $15 thing, it now asks for your Windows 7 key.
shad
Posted 12:48pm 28/10/12
Windows 8 wouldn't shut down and kept on restarting due to a driver issue. Now created a new install which is what I should have done to begin with anyway.

Anyone know how to pin the non metro Chrome to the the start menu and have it stay after you close it?
mental
Posted 12:52pm 28/10/12
Make a chrome desktop shortcut. Right click. Pin to start. Remove metro chrome tile.
shad
Posted 01:00pm 28/10/12
I tried that but every time I close Chrome it removes the link from Start.
bepatient
Posted 01:26pm 28/10/12
If anyone dislike not having the start menu, check this out: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/
Jerry
Posted 02:55pm 28/10/12
I transfer a lot of files around my network of computers at home. Using Windows 8 now it is faster, whatever they have done in the background its made it faster.

for anyone who has issues with windows 7 file copy speeds over network.. did you try and disable IPv6?

I found that W7->W7 or W7->WHS works faster (i.e. 98mb/s instead of 45mb/s on gbit) when IPv6 is disabled and IPv4 is left.

W7 -> W2k3 and W7 -> XP I found didn't have any of the speed issues anyway (don't think W2k3 or XP had ipv6 support which is probably why)
konstie
Posted 03:48pm 28/10/12

anyone try this? seems pretty good
HerbalLizard
Posted 04:38pm 28/10/12
I am thinking of buying stardock shares
Midda
Posted 07:02pm 28/10/12
Yeah, I've installed the trial for Start8. It's really good, I'll probably buy it when the trial's up.
koopz
Posted 09:34pm 28/10/12

it loved Intel chipsets.. didn't like Via so much. Gamers were mostly Via chipset fans back then irc

mine works fine

I tried to get it for $15 and I got rejected

wait a sec...

The key will have been an OEM key activated after June this year.

hence peeps who install Win7 with the OEM crack after June this year get the $40 version

and then run Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to remove the Spy/Malware

last edited by koopz at 21:33:26 28/Oct/12

last edited by koopz at 21:34:05 28/Oct/12
andrewus
Posted 10:23pm 28/10/12
I tried the star dock one and found it s*** compared to "classic shell"
mental
Posted 10:30pm 28/10/12
Are people really finding the fullscreen start menu that bad?
Midda
Posted 11:27pm 28/10/12
I don't dislike it, I just don't see a reason not to also have the regular Start menu when I'm in Desktop mode.
Whoop
Posted 11:45pm 28/10/12

I prefer classic shell for that windows 98 (and xp I think?) style fold out menu, not the scrolling bs menu in later versions.
Worse, I'm pretty sure he had a CYRIX! or some other bulls*** chipset.
shad
Posted 11:43pm 28/10/12
Getting use to the new start menu already. Can't complain for $15.
StopShootingMe
Posted 11:50pm 28/10/12
I upgraded two copies of Vista to Windows 8 for $15 each. You'd think the online activation would say "Wait up, you're trying to to upgrade Vista with the special Windows 7 promo code? Nup!"

But it was all sweet. So far the new interface impresses, will take some getting used to but I have to take my hat off to MS for trying something new.
Whoop
Posted 12:53am 29/10/12
are the upgrade versions locked to the hardware you're currently using, like previous versions of oem windows are?
skythra
Posted 01:02am 29/10/12
Other versions of windows just don't internet-authenticate. If you call the toll-free number, plug in the 20~ numbers and type in the 20~ numbers then you can re-use your serial on another machine as long as the old machine is out of service.

So if it's the same as XP, Vista, Win7 then yes, but it's not really 'locked'.
kos
Posted 11:38am 29/10/12
Just used the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant and man that thing is a total piece of s***.

First of all it irritates me that using the Upgrade Assistant is the only way to purchase Windows 8 from Microsoft, secondly the address fields don't have a country field, thirdly you can't purchase multiple keys so you have to do a separate transaction for every single key you want to buy, and finally they give you the option to go back and edit the information you entered at any step, but if you do that it forgets everything that was entered after the step you went back to and you need to enter all those things all over again! Oh and the terms and conditions are opened specifically in Internet Explorer even though they are just a s***** PDF.

Seriously Microsoft, what the f***?
Hogfather
Posted 01:18pm 29/10/12
Hmm. 2 days ago:
Upgrade process from windows 7 was very smooth and easy for me.

Today:

Did they f*** with it or something, or are user experiences really that varied? :) NFI personally as I got mine from MSDN a while back.
thermite
Posted 01:29pm 29/10/12
The only thing I found frustrating is that the windows 8 installer mapped my keyboard wrong, with all kinds of crazy british symbols. It never asked me to specify it. Then it asked me to type my email address, and I had to hit like every key on my keyboard to find the @ symbol.

Then on the NEXT page there was an option to change the keyboard map.
Mosfx
Posted 02:20pm 29/10/12
I had the same issue with the keyboard, but there is an option in the lower left of the screen to change the keyboard lol
mongie
Posted 02:35pm 29/10/12

I got that too :D

OH SNAP
Persay
Posted 02:52pm 29/10/12
good for corporate offices you guyz thinks?
mental
Posted 02:58pm 29/10/12
Nope, but Ms are having enough trouble getting people onto seven from xp, so why not f*** with the ui a little, and then when windows 9 comes out the trickle effect from home/xbox/phone/etc use will make it easier in the future with the ui formerly known as metro version 2.
shad
Posted 03:58pm 29/10/12

On one of the first pages it asks for your language, if you choose english uk I think it defaults the keyboard to UK. I did the same thing the first time but choose the right keyboard layout the next.
jmr
Posted 04:55pm 29/10/12
Installed on my Macbook air, upgrade from windows 7 went well

But I have no mouse

arkter
Posted 05:29pm 29/10/12
lol stupid upgrade thing took my dollars then said 'Initialization failed'. Only option is 'close'.

lol.

nothing emailed to me, restarting the upgrade app puts me back at square one.

kind of lol'd
Fixah
Posted 06:15pm 29/10/12
Yeah I was getting a " instead of an @ symbol so logic told me that if i pressed the " key i should get the @ symbol.

Logic was right.

Logic 1, Win 8 0
kos
Posted 04:07am 30/10/12

I think the UX would be really smooth and easy if all you wanted to do was install one copy of Win 8 on one PC and were purchasing it on that PC and your billing address was in the same country as the country you were living in and you didn't want to go back and edit any of your details or do anything else at all. In all other cases, however, it seems that the Upgrade Assistant is awful.

From this and the mistake of setting keyboard layout to match language instead of allowing it to be set separately, MS obviously need to work on their use cases.
kos
Posted 04:20am 30/10/12
And on top of all that, once the Upgrade Assistant has finished downloading the installer, you can either create a bootable USB or an ISO but not both, now it seems I have to download it all over again just to create the other type of install media. Scratch that, I found a link to the installer on the Desktop that lets me create media again, would be nice if any of this was made clear in the initial process though. And now, after creating an ISO it gives me a link to "Open DVD Burner" which just brings up command-line instructions from the "Windows Disc Image Burner" and then quits, brilliant.

Lastly, at no point in this process has it mentioned anywhere whether this is 32- or 64-bit Windows, maybe the installer is awesome and will let me choose before it starts or something, but the fact that it doesn't say it anywhere is really annoying.

All this lack of information and options, seemingly thinking that it knows what you want better than you do, and the less you know the better stuff is all a bit too Apple for my liking.
Eorl
Posted 09:19am 30/10/12

IRqBql.jpg
Midda
Posted 01:27am 30/10/12
Eorl, I think you accidentally a link.
E.T.
Posted 01:28am 30/10/12
For anyone wanting to get this kind of look, head over to this thread and download the tile program. Pretty simple to use, just add the file path and give it a tile icon (Steam games work well for it like in the picture below). Also you can group tiles together by holding ctrl and scrolling out, right clicking the tile "set" and naming it. IRqBql.jpg

You forget to put your link in Erol?
E.T.
Posted 01:29am 30/10/12
I miss my Aero theme :(

Stupid flat colours are stupid.
kos
Posted 02:34am 30/10/12
Pretty sure Eorl intended to link to something referring to the app called OblyTile.
3x0dus
Posted 07:52am 30/10/12

Did you pay via PayPal ? whirlpool has users with similar issue when payment made via paypal.
Eorl
Posted 09:20am 30/10/12
Haha, I seem to have forgotten that link indeed, ah well thanks kos, chucked it back in.
Hogfather
Posted 07:54pm 30/10/12
I miss my Aero theme :(Stupid flat colours are stupid.

Yeh this was my biggest WTF about Metro and its taking a long while to get over it tbh. 2012, hundreds of dollars of hardware, and its all so PLAIN
kos
Posted 08:23pm 30/10/12
Found this about 32 or 64-bit, I assume the Upgrade Assistant just downloads an installer that matches the bit level of your currently installed version of Windows...
Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows 8?
Yes, but you can't do this using Upgrade Assistant. If your PC has a 64-bit capable processor (CPU) but is currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can install a 64-bit version of Windows 8, but you'll need to buy Windows 8 as a DVD.

Not only is it stupid that this information is hidden away (much like any and all information about Windows 8) but why couldn't they just put a simple choice of 32 or 64-bit in the Assistant?

Makes me wish I had an MSDN subscription just so they'd stop doing an Apple and giving me no information or choices.
Hogfather
Posted 10:17am 31/10/12
4 million upgrades sold since the 26th.

Not bad, I think they had the right strategy with a low upgrade price. They really need to leverage that desktop install base to provide incentive to develop Metro apps that will magically boost the app count for tablet and phone.

If the Lumia also works out this could be a big win for MS. Windows devs are f*****g legion.
jmr
Posted 01:22pm 31/10/12
Yeah so I'm just reinstalling windows 7 haha
thermite
Posted 01:24pm 31/10/12
Is there an app to make everything a window? Cos it's windows...
I get very disturbed when I click something and it TAKES OVER THE WHOLE SCREEN
thermite
Posted 09:19pm 01/11/12
I've discovered you can alt tab out of those full screen things, so it's not so bad. I didn't even think to do that because I felt so trapped by what i saw.
Vash
Posted 12:26am 02/11/12
I upgraded but find i forget i actually upgraded. I'm using it like windows 7, rarely using the win 8 / metro interface.
natslovR
Posted 10:12am 10/11/12
It's unfair but funny

First experience using Windows 8 - drunk

mental
Posted 10:22am 10/11/12
I'm using a win-x(right click start menu) expander so I can use a combination of metro, desktop start menu, quick launch, pinned to taskbar and physical keyboard shoetcuts depending on what I'm doing and what I want to do.
skythra
Posted 10:51am 10/11/12
She said one thing on there i totally understand.

"It's like a f*****g treasure hunt". :P
thermite
Posted 12:26pm 10/11/12
alright been using it for a few weeks now I guess and I haven't found the metro and lack of start button beneficial, they slow me down quite a bit
kos
Posted 07:54am 11/11/12
Yeah, I've all but given up on Windows 8 for my main desktop PC after a week of using it myself as well.

Everything takes longer and is more awkward, and that is definitely not due to me not knowing where everything is because after a week I know where everything is that I need.

I wouldn't have minded the Start Screen/Metro so much if it wasn't so half-arsedly implemented.
Things in Metro like:
- there being no built-in file browser,
- that you can't snap 2 Metro apps to use exactly half each of your big widescreen monitor,
- the fact that you can only use one Metro browser, and to do that the browser has to be set as the default browser for all of Windows,
- that I have 2 completely different versions of programs like Chrome, Skype and IE installed in the same OS but they're totally unrelated and unaware of each other, and
- that there seems to be at least 2 different control panels, if not more.

And this account syncing seemed like a great idea until settings that I actually want to be different on different machines update across all machines as I set them on one locally.

Also I really miss the Aero theme, this totally flat, totally solid colour desktop theme makes windows and their positions and borders so much harder to identify. I realise they removed Aero to save battery life on mobile devices but that's no reason to not allow me to have it on my desktop PC, and they could easily keep Aero and still have sharp edges as they had in the Developer Preview version.

And I still haven't heard a decent reason as to why I can't have both a Start Sceen and a Start Menu.

I could go on (like about how the Desktop is made to seem like another Metro app with the drag to close thing, etc. but doesn't actually close anything) but instead I think I'm just going to go back to Windows 7. Can't say I didn't try!

P.S. Quite liking it on my HTPC though, trying to stay in metro as much as possible but it's a real shame there isn't a Metro version of Windows Media Center (again about the half-arsed implementation of Metro..) if they really want people to embrace their new UI then they could have at least shown some serious commitment to it.

Their Metro Music and Video programs aren't terrible, but they're way too purchase-centric and actual content that you already have almost seems like a second thought, not to mention the fact that there's no way to make the Video app play DVDs or Blu-rays, even if you were prepared to pay extra for that.
E.T.
Posted 01:14pm 11/11/12
Yep. Really not happy with Win8. I CBF reinstalling Win 7 yet though. So I've made Win 8 less ugly with 2 things:
True Transparency which kinda gives you Aero back and Chrome with a nice skin on it. I try and spend no time at all in that s*** start menu thing.
mental
Posted 04:49pm 11/11/12
Use win-x extender and right click on the start tile (or press win-x), then you can use modern ui, a desktop start menu, quick launch, keyboard shortcuts, pin to taskbar as you see fit.
Jabroney
Posted 07:26pm 11/11/12
no problems with windows 8

i find it snappier and generally things seem to run smoother

rarley use metro stuff
Midda
Posted 08:54pm 11/11/12
I'm pretty much using Win 8 like Win 7. Not going into the Metro UI because I have no need to. It also seems faster than Win 7, and games seem to have more consistent framerates. Not higher or lower, just more consistent.

That drunk Win 8 video certainly highlights a few glaring issues with the new UI. Staying on the desktop has been fine though, I haven't lost anything.