Season's Greetings! We present to you, our final AusGamers Wrap-Up of the year. Don't miss it, or the cliffhanger!
Season Finale: AusGamers Weekly Wrap-Up
AusGamers presents a hands-on report of the third major game in the 'World of' series from Wargaming, World of Tanks.
World of Warships Hands-On Preview
We take a look at the latest mobile gaming setup from GAEMS to see just how useful it is.
Tech Tuesday - GAEMS Vanguard Black Edition Review
We chat with 343 Industries about Halo 5: Guardians and the upcoming multiplayer beta!
343 Industries Talks Halo 5: Guardians Multiplayer Beta
Post by Dan @ 09:07am 24/10/12 | 24 Comments
It's been expected for a long time, and Apple has now formally announced it, revealing the scaled-down version of their popular iPad tablet at an event overnight, alongside another new revision for the standard-sized iPad. via Engadget:
Apple's iPad mini is the company's newest device, a 7.9-inch tablet that's designed to go toe-to-toe with Google's Nexus 7. For now, it'll sit alongside the iPad 2 and fourth-generation iPad, and as it packs the same 1,024 x 768 display as the second-generation slate, apps will carry across without any resizing. While Phil Schiller didn't mention Google or the Nexus 7 by name, the rival slate (and Google's app library) was compared to the newest iOS device. On stage, he claimed that the screen, which is .9-inch larger than the Nexus 7, gives the iPad mini 35 percent more display area than Google and ASUS' collaboration.

On the hardware size, the 7.2mm thick, .68 pounds device has been manufactured with an "all new" process that gives it the same anodized edges as you'll find on the iPhone 5. If you were hoping for equal specifications to the big-daddy iPad, you may be mildly disappointed. While it will pack a 5-megapixel camera and an LTE modem (if you opt to buy a cellular model), it's running the last-generation A5 CPU. However, the slower internals and less potent display may account for how the company has been able to squeeze out a claimed 10 hours of use despite the constrained space for a battery.
Unlike the previous iPad revision, Apple has revealed that this time around there will be two different spec cellular models for each device with modems that support different LTE frequencies. The good news is that in addition to the 700Mhz LTE model compatible with major US carriers, the 1800MHz LTE model compatible with Sprint and Verizon in the US will be the one sold in Australia, and will support Telstra's 4G network (and Optus' eventual 4G network).

However, due to the manufacturing differences, the WiFi + Cellular model will not be available in Australia until "a couple of weeks" after the Wi-Fi model. It also obviously won't support 4G International roaming on the US 700MHz networks, however a list of the countries and carriers it will be compatible with can be found here.

Australian pricing ranges from AU$369, up to AU$729 depending whether you want 16,32, or 64GB of storage, and Wi-Fi-only or Wi-Fi + Cellular.

As for the fourth-gen iPad (also via Engadget):
It's essentially a hardware refresh for Apple's 3rd gen slate, as it packs new A6X silicon with quad-core graphics that the company claims provides double the performance of the old A5X chip. The new iPad also gets dual-band 802.11 a/b/g/n WiFi, expanded LTE compatibility (including Sprint and KDDI), a 720p FaceTime camera on the front and the new image processor first seen in the iPhone 5. Of course, it also gets the reversible Lightning port that debuted on on the iPhone, and will be available in both black and white.
More details on both can be found over on apple.com.au.

Update: This article originally incorrectly stated that the new iPads were still incompatible with Australian 4G networks, however that is reportedly not the case.

appleipadannounced

Nerf Lord
Posted 09:36am 24/10/12
I read iPad mini and had to actually check if it was the 1st of April... I'm presuming that they'll next scale up the iPhone and call it an iPhone large. :P
dais
Posted 10:05am 24/10/12
It's a good move on Apple's part and I'm tempted to buy one. But I'm getting an iPod Touch instead for the portability.
andrewus
Posted 10:05am 24/10/12
I was really looking forward to this, however like people have suggested previously, it is the most expensive of the ~7" devices.

Oh well, time to replace the original iPad that went for a swim in the bath with the young bloke a few months ago (little bugger lol)

and in case anyone wonders, I just use it for reading books and entertaining the kids on long car rides / flights.
trog
Posted 10:10am 24/10/12
Neat. No Retina display seems weird though.
badfunkstripe
Posted 12:06pm 24/10/12
I've got a Samsung 7.7. It's a really great size. It's wifi but I can just use my phone as a hotspot and it's super quick.

I'd love to know how the devices stack up. The Samsung 7.7 was really high specs when it came out earlier this year. It has a higher resolution.
Mass
Posted 12:09pm 24/10/12
The mini isn't even close to the Nexus 7 in specs, and the iPad 4 is another huge waste of time. I don't know what Apple are thinking anymore, their days of innovation and creating products with WOW seem to be behind them.
Trauma
Posted 12:33pm 24/10/12
Fourth gen iPad? I thought they were still on the first one, they do push out the rehash's fast.
ravn0s
Posted 12:41pm 24/10/12
there's a new gen each year.

deadlyf
Posted 12:46pm 24/10/12
While I'm sure they will still get plenty of people lining up to buy this, they are losing more and more of the market with this kind of uncompetitive pricing.

At this stage I'm starting to wonder if MS will do to them in the tablet market what they did in the PC market.
copuis
Posted 12:57pm 24/10/12
iphone note?
skythra
Posted 01:29pm 24/10/12
Biggest problem is how old the iphone interface already feels.
Raven
Posted 02:06pm 24/10/12
Neat. No Retina display seems weird though.

Yeah, this is the one thing that gets me.

I just went down to the Telstra store to have a play with phones, and had a look at the retina iPad - damn they're high res.

Also played with a HTC Windows 7 Phone, some massive thing... feels way too big, it's giving me second thoughts about getting a Lumia 920. The Omnia W and Lumia 800 are perfectly sized :(
Eorl
Posted 02:30pm 24/10/12
Nokia Lumia 920 looks to be slightly bigger than the Lumia 900, so I doubt it'd be uncomfortable. Not sure when it will be on sale here in Australia but hopefully soon.

I'm wondering if this iPad will sway people to look at other brands and find that they can get them for cheaper and better performance. Doubt it.
eski
Posted 02:45pm 24/10/12

but then, everything annoys the s*** out of me these days.
copuis
Posted 02:52pm 24/10/12
The term retina annoys the s*** out of me. Its not even consistent across their devices. I wish they would use a meaningful term like pixel density, sadly the plebs who buy tech these days are too confused by anything that doesn't sound warm and fuzzy.but then, everything annoys the s*** out of me these days.

Jayman
Posted 04:52pm 24/10/12
Some random thoughts.

It not even a minor update to the iPad (Retina), it's pretty major speed wise. A6x Processor (x2 the speed of 3rd gen) and 2x graphics I think they said? Apple was already way ahead now it's going to be a speed machine. Also LTE for Australia.

Apples "innovation" is just slick manufacturing refinements these days. Just making everything look really refined and well put together while still pushing the envelope with regards to weight / thickness / specs etc. Not much happening on the user end... It's all manufacturing.

I thought the iPad mini would be under $300 because I thought they'd start it at 8GB to keep the price down but it seems like they tried to keep all the same options as the big boy.

Also if you watched the keynote you see a really good example of how much android tablet apps suck compared to the iPad.

Start watching this from 9 minutes for Android 7 comparisons:
Nathan
Posted 03:10pm 24/10/12
their days of innovation and creating products with WOW seem to be behind them
It looks like a nice device, but I agree. The release of mini iPad I think is the final nail in any doubt that could be had that they've given up on innovating, and are happy to just push out whatever it seems like the market it wants.

The tall iPhone is the same thing; a reaction to market conditions (people want bigger phones) not an internal design choice.

Nothing wrong with that, but its a very different apple to a few years back.
Nathan
Posted 03:13pm 24/10/12
It not even a minor update to the iPad (Retina), it's pretty major speed wise
Frankly, it should have been a minor update. Its a pretty big f*** you to anyone who bought a 3rd-generation iPad in the half-year its been available.
Jayman
Posted 03:18pm 24/10/12

Yeah, I was quite shocked. There were rumours of a refresh and I expected the new connector + LTE upgrades and thats it.

That said it's been 7 months since iPad 3. That's not unreasonable in the tech world. It's just not what people expect as Apple are normally more consistent with their updates.
Opec
Posted 03:27pm 24/10/12
ZZZZzzzZZZZzzzzzZZZZZZZ
Dan
Posted 03:29pm 24/10/12
Updated the OP. Seems I was wrong about the Australian LTE support, Apple will be manufacturing a second model for 1800MHz regions. Details here.
kappa
Posted 03:31pm 24/10/12
and are happy to just push out whatever it seems like the market it wants.

I agree the iPad mini is a bit meh, but people can't expect Apple to reinvent the wheel every year. You'd think they will target another product range (TV sets?) in the future and hopefully wow people again.

I was going to buy a iPad mini to replace my broken Nexus 7 but the screen res/ppi, and to an extent the price, is not what I expected. So I'll pass.
Raven
Posted 02:18pm 02/11/12
Wow. I had to go five pages deep to find a single thread with not even a single page full of comments!

Anyhow... picked at one at lunch "because I can", and I'm stupid with money. Or something. If there's anything people want to know before spending valuable clams, let me know. So far, it's a smaller iPad 2 but with an awesome form factor/size.
crazymorton
Posted 04:51pm 02/11/12
I should have dropped this here instead of starting a separate thread.