to the moon, athena
AusGamers caught up with 2K Australia and Randy Pitchford to discuss the recently revealed Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and why Australia is making an impact on the moon. Click for more!
Welcome to Planet Nexus
We take a brief dip in the MMO pool with Carbine Studios' WildStar, and find out just what Planet Nexus has in store for us. Check it out in our preview for more!
oracle of ages
Batman: Arkham Knight is set to be Rocksteady's final in the Arkham series, so it's fitting that it's just so damn big. And Batmobiles. Nuff said. Click for more!
Trial By Dirt Bike
We take a look at the fourth title in the Trials series, and the first to hit next-gen platforms. Does it live up to the name? Find out in our review!
Post by Dan @ 10:53am 11/09/12 | 7 Comments
As reported yesterday, the expected launch of Steam's television-tailored "Big Picture" interface has kicked off today with a public beta-test, offering PC gamers (Mac support reportedly coming later) a tidier way of playing their Steam library games in a lounge-room environment.

An introduction video offers a quick overview of the features, which includes control-pad support for every Big Picture approved game, as well as a nifty interface for typing with a control-pad, as well as a custom-designed web browser that's also designed to be navigated with a dual-stick controller.

Check out the clip below (here in HD), and head over to Steam for details on how to get in on the beta.

Timmeh
Posted 11:13am 11/9/12
"plus a web browser for the TV that doesn't suck"

haha brilliant
Rominion
Posted 05:17pm 11/9/12
I thought Microsoft would have done all of this already.. Seems to me that technology companies are behind the times in regards to development from ideas lately. I guess the generation of stupidity is at hand, so i can not expect to much.
Whoop
Posted 05:23pm 11/9/12
can you get a vga - hdmi adapter? (the laptop only has vga out, no hdmi)

MS have the xbox for gaming on TV's, they know PC users don't want an inferior controller anywhere near them so everything in windows is designed for the far superior mouse and keyboard combination.
Fasty
Posted 05:46pm 11/9/12
Oh man this is AWESOME. Now to figure out how to set my computer to automatically launch Steam in full-screen and pair my PS3 controller when I switch it on.

Oh yeah, keyboard is totally superior in third person games and racing games, what with its eight binary degrees of input. Mouse is also amazing when you want to play on the 40" TV from the lounge.
Mantorok
Posted 05:53pm 11/9/12
can you get a vga - hdmi adapter? (the laptop only has vga out, no hdmi)
Yeah, but it'll probably introduce some input lag from the signal conversion.
Whoop
Posted 07:13pm 11/9/12
Yeah, but it'll probably introduce some input lag from the signal conversion.

I'm talking about crappy games like peggle or the sims n shit. I doubt input lag would be an issue. Also I forgot, it doesn't matter because I think the TV has VGA input anyway. lol @ me.

Is it possible to use an xbox controller as a mouse? like, move the cursor around & do everything as if it was a mouse?
Fasty
Posted 11:21pm 11/9/12
Xpadder will do that: http://xpadder.com/ but it costs $10. Great little program though, especially for games with no controller support.

If you have a PS3 controller Motioninjoy will do it http://www.motioninjoy.com/