shark week, all week
Depth is one of the best games you may have never heard of, and we've gone hands-on with it and had a chance to chat to the team behind it. Check out both features!
inquiring minds
We chat with friend of the site Cameron Lee about Dragon Age Inquisition's endgame content, theorycrafting, tactical play and much more. Click here for our interview!
welcome to you're doom
AusGamers got a 15-minute live sneak-peek at the totally reimagined Doom at this year's QuakeCon. Read our in-depth first-look impressions right here!
highway to the danger zone
We caught up with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's game director, Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, to talk all things Witcher, monsters and open-world! Click here!
Post by Dan @ 09:54am 21/08/12 | 17 Comments
Players farming away at level 60 in Diablo will soon have an additional incentive, as Blizzard has revealed a new Paragon system that will offer an additional 100 levels of experience to notch up above and beyond the game's traditional end-point.

An official blog by Blizzard's Jay Wilson discusses the system in detail, which is intended to address the issues the developers have detected with the use of Magic Find gear. The 100 extra levels in the paragon system don't come with all the benefits of the standard player levels, but they will incrementally increase player's chance of finding phat lewts in the end-game.
The idea is that if you’re currently swapping gear in and out for the Magic Find bonuses, you can continue to do so… but gain enough Paragon levels, and you won’t need to any more.
Final patch notes for the 1.04 patch are expected within the next few days.

kirkoswald
Posted 02:55pm 21/8/12
Its like hearing your ex girl friend got a boob job... but her boobs weren't the reason you broke up.
lmnt
Posted 04:02pm 21/8/12
blizzard put way too much effort into trying to make games into addictive heaps of s***... If they just stopped trying to wiz up all these convoluted ways to get people to play and just focused on making the games "fun" then everyone would be better off.
reso
Posted 05:31pm 21/8/12
F*** that loser.
skythra
Posted 10:23pm 21/8/12

But you still wanna have a look and in the right situation a feel before you wander away again :P
Julez
Posted 11:24pm 21/8/12
•Destructible objects now have a chance to drop items again

Lol you can tell they are getting desperate to add that back after removing it due to botters in the first place.

And this paragon 100 levels i read some old posts of bashiok saying grinding is boring and the only people who wanted to do it were people with lots of free time, so what everyone suddenly has time now ? provided its not as fast to get as level 60 is so in one way it is good gives you something to do if so inclined and the other hand it defeats the whole purpose of what they were trying to achieve in the first place. Lol these guys are going full circle...
Creepy
Posted 11:37pm 21/8/12
•Destructible objects now have a chance to drop items again

That was actually one of a number of reasons I stopped playing (never even finished a single character). That, the d***ing around with stats, MF shennanigans, Inferno impossibility, oh and that I am in California and yet still experience lag + rubberbanding.

Maybe I'll give this a go again, if only to finish the single player story.

Oh and reso, ISWYDT :)
kos
Posted 11:48pm 21/8/12
...oh and that I am in California and yet still experience lag + rubberbanding...

That sounds weird considering I've played on the NA Battle.net servers from here in Germany on a s***** 1.5Mbit line and have had virtually no lag/rubber banding at all.
deeper
Posted 12:26am 22/8/12
sorry, was this something about diablo that seems related to that other game they made type of progression? Wake me up when we get past this
Jim
Posted 02:22am 22/8/12

Posted 08:22am 22/8/12
so what everyone suddenly has time now ?

Probably more like the only people still playing it are the ones who are super-dedicated and want to grind.
Raven
Posted 08:47am 22/8/12
Yeah. I dOnt understand why months after release you'd play the same content but with harder hitting, more highly armoured NPCs, for months, if you werent dedicated. It's not unlocking anything new.
What's the end goal? They're not going to give you a weapon that lets you one-shot Diablo, so what's the point?
Hogfather
Posted 12:28pm 22/8/12
I'm playing it again (barely level 30 or maybe just under, finished Normal anyway) and just having fun killing s*** mindlessly.

What's the point of gaming at all? Its unlikely to get you laid or make you bank. Its for fun.

I wasn't having fun (especially after their CS shat down my throat) so I stopped. But I gave it a go when I heard about the 1.04 changes and I'm enjoying it again as a casual game when I'm bored and nobody is on DOTA to rip s*** up.
Julez
Posted 12:07pm 22/8/12
Well to be honest i have been playing since 3 weeks after release, only reason i think was i enjoyed catching up with people i haven't played games with since UT99 back in the day. So thats what kept me motivated, only the last week did we stop logging in waiting for 1.04 the enrage timer gave us the s**** and decided to wait for the patch to remove it, we like to kill at our own pace not be told how to do it.

As for lag it was rock stable 200ms uptill about a month ago when AT&T started go nuts, ever since it's been constant yellow 350+ upto 800-1000 rarely is it 200 and it's still AT&T so i won't hold my breath that ever getting fixed. And yeah i did read about people living like 50kms away from the server and still getting lag how fked up is that.. cheap s***house server for you i guess.
casa
Posted 07:39pm 22/8/12
So how big was this patch client side? Had an endless amount of dramas playing 1.04 (no surprises there).
evıs
Posted 07:56pm 22/8/12
WHO CARES?
kos
Posted 08:46pm 22/8/12
actually what's weird is your report of no lag/rubberbanding. it's not a random rumour, it's rampant in my case I played roughly 60/40 time split between US and EU servers from belfast and get it on both despite the 40ms ping on EU

I don't exactly play a lot or anything, and didn't play it till a couple of months after release, maybe I've just been playing at non-peak times or something. But I have played on the NA servers with another friend in Germany, one in London and another in Melbourne and no one seemed to have any rubber banding issues.

I knew that it wasn't a random rumour that there were lag issues but I hadn't heard anything about it recently, just assumed it was the whole 'servers not being able to handle the traffic on release' thing and was ironed out.

Are there hostnames that I can use to ping the different Battle.net region servers?
Julez
Posted 01:09am 23/8/12
Yep kos on this page http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/performing-a-traceroute

Hey evis, if you don't care why you even posting ? you sound just like the people on the D3 forums hating constantly on the game yet still hanging around adding useless comments.

casa patch size was about 10mb or so quite small.