Follow on for our second entry in the on-going review of World of Warcraft's fifth expansion, Warlords of Draenor
World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor: Day 8 - Garrisons
We chat with Blizzard's Hearthstone team on all the juicy info about the first expansion to highly-successful card game Hearthstone
Hearthstone: Goblins vs Gnomes Developer Interview
We take a nostalgic look back at one of the best N64 games to ever be made, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Throwback Thursday - The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Post by Dan @ 11:59am 11/07/12 | 17 Comments
Finding its market before it even exists, the Kickstarter funding drive for the ambitious OUYA game console project has blitzed past its initial US$950,000 goal in less than 8 hours of opening for backers.

The device is promised as a low-cost, Tegra 3-powered system based on Google's Android OS. It's designed by Jambox and One Laptop Per Child designer Yves Behar and some other very credible names are also involved, including Xbox project co-founder Ed Fries, and Amazon Kindle's Muffi Ghadiali, as well as ex-IGN digital distribution head Julie Uhrman.

Unlike the walled-gardens of traditional TV games consoles, the OUYA wants to be open to indie developers and hobbyists alike -- proudly announcing that rooting the device won't void the warranty.

If that sounds tantalising, check out the pitch video below and head over to the Kickstarter page, where you can drop US$99 (and some additional shipping charges) with the promise of your very own OUYA console before they make it into stores.

ouyakickstarter

ravn0s
Posted 12:42pm 11/7/12
holy s*** that's insane.

looks like it will be at $2 million by the end of the day.
WirlWind
Posted 12:52pm 11/7/12
Sweet, looks good. Now they just need to secure the games for it and I'd be down with it lol.
LOTUK
Posted 12:57pm 11/7/12
No link? now I have to do manually find. Sounds interesting though
Dan
Posted 12:59pm 11/7/12
Whoops. The image was linked, but not if reading on the forums.
IVY_MiKe
Posted 01:02pm 11/7/12
I'm interested... but want to know, will it run XBMC with content @ 1080p!?@?!??
Posted 01:04pm 11/7/12
Yeah, I think its overall success will hinge on whether they can get developers to make games specifically for it, cos I'm not particularly interested in the ability to play mobile phone games on my television.
IVY_MiKe
Posted 01:17pm 11/7/12
Given the nature of the OS that's destined for it, surely there will be a much bigger market for people to dump emulators on it, and go from there.

Whilst I see a 'legitimate' market crying out for a unit like this, I can see the 'less-legitimate' market having an absolute field day.
greazy
Posted 02:05pm 11/7/12

Hahaha, classic Khel.

What IVY_Mike said.
Tollaz0r!
Posted 02:41pm 11/7/12
Tegra 3 ability: Gives an idea of what the console will be capable of.

At $120 (including shipping) it may actually be kind of good, or just another Wii...
kappa
Posted 02:47pm 11/7/12
Also ...

We're handing the reins over to the developer with only one condition: at least some gameplay has to be free. We borrowed the free-to-play model from games like League of Legends, Team Fortress 2, Triple Town, and many others. Developers can offer a free demo with a full-game upgrade, in-game items or powers, or ask you to subscribe.
tspec
Posted 02:58pm 11/7/12
Mad, 2 million already. I backed it for $99 earlier, I reckon it has a lot of potential for media centers, emulators etc on top of all the indie games that will be released. I'd love to see Super Meat Boy released on it actually.
IVY_MiKe
Posted 04:08pm 11/7/12
Good cal on SMB tspec.

I don't know that 'free 2 play' is a great model, but I like the idea of 'shareware' as a 'try before you buy' type model.

I chipped it @ $149 (wanted 2x controllers + P&H) it's a relatively cheap experiment as I see it...
The sales figures must be daunting... 2 days in it's near $2.1M and at ~99 a console, that's a loooot of consoles... now we wait and see how this month pans out, and then wait and see how it goes for production.
Posted 04:56pm 11/7/12
that's a loooot of consoles

Well, theres 17,000 or so backers, and about 1,000 of them didn't donate enough to get a console, so about 16,000 consoles at this point. Not really that difficult, they'd want a lot more than that in people's hands if they expect it to become a viable platform.

I mean, I wish them all the best, and it does sound like a very interesting experiment that I'll keep an eye on, but I'm bitter and cynical and bah humbug.
tspec
Posted 04:55pm 11/7/12
I chipped it @ $149 (wanted 2x controllers + P&H)

Good point, I must have been half asleep when I pledged earlier, upped to $149 also.
skythra
Posted 05:01pm 11/7/12

It'd be successful purely as a media centre in my eyes. As far as publishers, you'll of course see the whole angrybirds et al on there as they already exist, and in my eyes, makes a lot of games which I want to play on my transformer, but have currently TERRIBLE controller support (like the a button works, but the x button quits to homescreen on an xbox controller) spend maybe a couple of man hours fixing dumb things like that as they'd suddenly have an audience of tens of thousands more.

Plus all those games which are cheap/free, mean that buying the console for a bit over 100 dollars, essentially means you'll have a tonn of free games, instead of being bargained into a terrible 3 game bundle.

Edit: Also if those games aren't available due to some restriction of the UI/play store, it'll take about 10 minutes to install an APK which unlocks them, or about 2 hours to learn how to root, root, and then install another CFW which will let you full access.

But again, number 1 thing; as a media centre, to me, this is already a winner.
IVY_MiKe
Posted 05:12pm 11/7/12
It's essentially the same for me Skythra, Media centre first.

I'm curious as to whether or not there will be BT Support or other add-ons for it.
Even if there aren't tho, with the Android crowd behind it I guess it's a matter of drivers and a BT dongle (for remote control support etc)
Gloth
Posted 07:35pm 11/7/12
f*** yes .. An open source console that isn't dedicated (read resticted) to an ideal thats soley focused on the paradigm of turning a profit (yes i know 'all' comercial products need to turn a profit) and thus limited by fear.

A media centre with a more than pleasing focus on gaming.

A woman leading the PR front that understands the concept of Balls!

A piece of hardware that I can F with as i please and not void my warranty (please please be true).

An obscure, even risky attempt to buck the fetid rancid stagnated console landscape.

I'm excited, and I'm gonna just go and say it .. Sony ... Microsoft ... i hope this kills you.