Blizzard have posted another very detailed developer blog
explaining their approach to the many balance changes that are being actively worked towards for Diablo III's upcoming v1.03 patch.
Technical Game Designer Wyatt Cheng, goes into great detail to explain the intention and justification behind each change, many of which are sure to both elate and enrage different types of players.
Here's a very high level summary of some of the proposed changes:
- More generous drop rates for higher level items in later Hell and earlier Inferno Acts.
- Tweaks to rare item drop rates with five stacks of Nephalem Valor -- raised for champion packs, lowered for bosses.
- Removal of the increased monster damage modifier in co-op to encourage people to play together rather than solo.
- Lowering monster damage in Inferno acts 2, 3 and 4 to make them easier.
- Increasing the cost of repairing high-level items (possibly 4 or 6 times as much) to discourage suicide tactics
- Lowering the over-used attack speed bonus on items
- Reducing crafting costs and the amount of commodities required to craft.
The above list is just a very basic summary. The the complete description and well-argued explanation, be sure to check out the full blog post