We take a look at Ubisoft's next iteration in the Far Cry universe to see just what is on offer
Badger Badger Badger - Far Cry 4 Reviewed
We chat with Blizzard RTS veteran Allen Dilling on the past, present and future of StarCraft!
StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void Developer Interview
The first expansion for Company of Heroes 2 has landed. How does one attack Adrennes Assault? Read our review to find out!
Company of Heroes 2: Adrennes Assault Review
Post by Steve Farrelly @ 10:43am 25/05/12 | 29 Comments
The Diablo III community has had a mixed affair of solid experiences, and not so solid experiences since the hotly-anticipated game was released on May 15. And while there's certainly a mad cry from the side of the fence dealing with countless issues, Blizzard has chimed in to assure everyone that they're addressing each and every problem with the game.

A number of hotfixes were applied a few days ago, the details of which you can view here, but they've also announced the the Auction House has been delayed again until they can "ensure everyone has the smoothest experience possible" and that they need "more time to iron out the existing general stability and gameplay issues" before they let a rabid community loose in the new system.

On concerns over account hacks and general Battle.net security, the team has assured everyone that the actual number of players contacting customer service over concerns of account compromises is "extremely small", adding that "the Battle.net and Diablo III servers have not been compromised".

"In all of the individual Diablo III-related compromise cases we've investigated, none have occurred after a physical Battle.net Authenticator or Battle.net Mobile Authenticator app was attached to the player's account," the update said. "And we have yet to find any situation where a Diablo III player's account was accessed outside of "traditional" compromise methods (ie someone logging using an account's login email and password).

"To that end, we've also seen discussions regarding the possibility of account compromises occurring in ways that didn’t involve these "traditional" methods -- for example, by "session spoofing" a player’s identity after he or she joins a public game," the post continues. "Regarding this specific example, we've looked into the issue and found no evidence to indicate compromises are occurring in this fashion, and we've determined the methods being suggested to do so are technically impossible. However, you have our assurance that we’ll continue to investigate reports such as these and keep you informed of important updates."

The team conclude the security concerns with just reminding users to use "smart password management" and basically boil a lot of it down to common-sense.

The post also mentions that sometime next week a full patch will be released that "will further address client issues and apply additional bug fixes".

battle.netblizzarddiablo iiidiablo 3patchhotfixescommunityupdateservers
Buy now from Green Man Gaming Only GBP£17.99!

Hogfather
Posted 10:56am 25/5/12
Yeh, as I posted elsewhere stick a mobile authenticator on your account.

There's no reason not to, aside from a little inconvenience at login. Even if you drop your phone in the toilet, if you've set up SMS recovery you can disable the authenticator by receiving an SMS code.
Eorl
Posted 11:02am 25/5/12
You can change your authenticator prompts to only occur when you are logging in from a new IP, makes it secure but less of a hassle.
carson
Posted 11:06am 25/5/12

Aye. Pretty much like steamguard.
Hogfather
Posted 11:21am 25/5/12

Reassuring!
Dazhel
Posted 11:48am 25/5/12
That security feature was having null effect anyway.
parabol
Posted 12:25pm 25/5/12

So to disable authentication for a phone you've dropped into the toilet, you send an SMS code to the phone in the toilet?
TiT
Posted 12:28pm 25/5/12
haha i had that mobile authenticate on ages ago before they had the sms recovery. I lost my phone and had to email blizzard about 5 times to get my account back :)
Hogfather
Posted 12:34pm 25/5/12

When I drop a phone in the toilet I normally get a new sim + cheap phone pretty quickly.

Without the SMS feature you'd need to manually contact Blizzard support.

This is why its easier.
greazy
Posted 12:34pm 25/5/12
Blizzard is slipping... why no auction house on release date?
Posted 12:34pm 25/5/12
Theres a recovery feature built into the authenticator now too. When you install it on your phone it gives you a recovery id, which you can write down somewhere, then if you ever lose your phone or get a new phone, you can use the recovery id to reinstall the authenticator on your new phone and pickup where you left off.
Hogfather
Posted 12:35pm 25/5/12
Blizzard is slipping... why no auction house on release date?

There was an auction house on release date.

This is the real money auction house they are talking about. Delaying this makes sense at the moment.

Cool.
HurricaneJim
Posted 12:46pm 25/5/12
I'm more concerned with people having to use their phone in the toilet....a bit like Chuck from Sons of Anarchy...
Hogfather
Posted 12:51pm 25/5/12

Said drop, not use.

When I'm at a pub I take my phone to the loo. You must have a s*** phone that nobody wants to steal.
qmass
Posted 12:59pm 25/5/12
never heard of a pocket you mope?
Hogfather
Posted 01:00pm 25/5/12
never heard of a pocket you mope?

skinny jeans and big phone man, im way too school for school
TiT
Posted 01:01pm 25/5/12
but i luv playing angry birds in the s******!
Hogfather
Posted 01:15pm 25/5/12
16 posts from battle.net authentication to angry birds on the s******.

Well done everyone :)
greazy
Posted 01:25pm 25/5/12
There was an auction house on release date.

Oohhhhh, right. I was wondering what the hell.
Raider
Posted 05:22pm 25/5/12
still lags like all f*** with rubber banding, i'm glad i didn't roll hardcore right off because 99% of my deaths have been from me running on the spot when i knew i was facing an elite pack / boss and coming back dead.
Enska
Posted 06:33pm 25/5/12
Why would you roll HC without playing the game and familiarising yourself? seems like a recipe for failure regardless of latency issues.
deeper
Posted 06:41pm 25/5/12
not when you're as awesome as Raider
qmass
Posted 06:48pm 25/5/12
Right now my ping is 196ms which is pretty damn good, they just need to stop the spikiness when the yanks are on.
Eorl
Posted 06:58pm 25/5/12
On the topic of security, passwords aren't case-sensitive according to this thread.
Enska
Posted 07:37pm 25/5/12
uhh, my password is case sensitive, has been for a long time. although thats because I have had a bnet/WoW account for so long?
Eorl
Posted 07:45pm 25/5/12
As is mine, but you can login without typing a capital at all. Give it a try.
shad
Posted 07:48pm 25/5/12
As is mine, but you can login without typing a capital at all. Give it a try.

wow, that is pretty terrible.
TicMan
Posted 08:25pm 25/5/12
I had an authenticator from the WoW days, got a new phone, wiped the old phone, forgot about authenticator. I contacted Blizzard and within 24 hours and 3 emails I was back up and running - pretty decent service.

I rate their service 9.2/10.
HurricaneJim
Posted 08:32pm 25/5/12
Said drop, not use.

You have it in your hand, there must be a use thing. Can't steal what I don't have or need.

skinny jeans and big phone man, im way too school for school

I heary ya, way too wank for a wanker.
Eorl
Posted 11:13pm 25/5/12
Also found this interesting, Blizzard "apparently" has no auto-lockout as of yet seen for Diablo 3. This thread is discussing it in detail and it is a tad unnerving. Interested to try and see if it does lock the account out, might try entering the wrong password 10 times.