beware your nemesis
Blizzard spoke with us recently about what separates the Diablo III: Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition experience over the PC and spoke about platform differences. Click here!
inquiring minds
We chat with friend of the site Cameron Lee about Dragon Age Inquisition's endgame content, theorycrafting, tactical play and much more. Click here for our interview!
welcome to you're doom
AusGamers got a 15-minute live sneak-peek at the totally reimagined Doom at this year's QuakeCon. Read our in-depth first-look impressions right here!
highway to the danger zone
We caught up with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's game director, Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, to talk all things Witcher, monsters and open-world! Click here!
Post by Caveboy @ 10:14am 27/04/12 | 29 Comments
If you haven't played Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 yet, you can give it a free test drive this weekend. From the Steam news post:
Activision will be hosting a Free Weekend for Call of Duty®: Modern Warfare® 3! Pre-load the game now and be ready to play when the free weekend starts on Thursday, April 26th at 10am Pacific Time.
Check out our review for a closer look at this smash hit title. promoted/edited forum item

Buy now from Green Man Gaming for only GBP£26.99 (USD$39.99 on Steam)!

teq
Posted 11:23am 27/4/12
so s*** they have to give it away to get people to play this instead of bf3
DeadlyDav0
Posted 11:55am 27/4/12
Its a lag fest, stay clear.
DM
Posted 01:25pm 27/4/12
Free weekend the same time as guild wars 2? Yeah... nah.
kirkoswald
Posted 06:30pm 27/4/12
Im thinking of downloading gw2 is it any good?

bit bored of bf3.... It needs voip :(
WirlWind
Posted 09:52pm 27/4/12
Hackers left right and center., plus laggy as standard. I've even been thrown in with games full of yanks or brits for no apparently reason.

Don't bother with this one, even if you get it for $30 like I did.
WirlWind
Posted 11:58pm 28/4/12
Oh yes, plus the FoV makes me physically sick.

I'm not someone who gets motion sick, but this game is beyond the joke.
Timmeh
Posted 01:02am 29/4/12
Im thinking of downloading gw2 is it any good?bit bored of bf3.... It needs voip :(

eXemplar
Posted 01:11am 29/4/12
Beware of the free weekend in this game, it's 100% full of hackers and there's no way to votekick or get rid of them apart from leaving the game.
Whoop
Posted 02:22am 29/4/12
^^ So in other words, it's no different to any other day of the year. MW3 is full of hackers all the time, ever since they put ricochet mode on and you can't make them ragequit by TK'ing them. It's almost like IW like hackers and want them around, or are intentionally making their games more and more s*** just to see who the real die hard fans are.

I used to play cod 4, for hours on end, I can barely manage to bother playing an entire map of mw3 most days. Thinking about switching to Battlefield 3, I loved bad company 2 (once they fixed the random crashes and disconnections).
trog
Posted 10:34am 29/4/12
Had my first bash of this yesterday - my first CoD game (outside of the occasional bash at press events) since CoD2, I think. Just played TDM which seems like a really really stupid game mode. Tried a bit of Domination(? the flag one?) but I got dominated. Will have another crack today.
Eorl
Posted 10:42am 29/4/12
Filled with hackers at the moment when I try to play, otherwise meh.
Whoop
Posted 01:07pm 29/4/12
Trog: TDM is pretty good if you're a s*** player (which is why I play it). You can camp your ass off and your team kind of helps keep the enemy from sneaking around behind you.
DeadlyDav0
Posted 01:33pm 29/4/12
TDM used to be awesome in COD1+2+4+5 as teams spawned opposite sides of the map and you pushed forward to fight enemies. You could flank, get behind enemy lines then pwn em as they didnt expect you there and then the enemy spawn 'base' would move somewhere else. I remember playing that caretan map in COD1 @ uni and loving it.

Then came COD6/7/8 where you spawn randomly and there is no team sides, just a complete clusterf***. Thats why i stopped playing. You could spawn behind an enemy or have an enemy spawn behind you. Just f*****g stupid map spawns that discouraged tactics and increased camping / luck.
Enska
Posted 01:37pm 29/4/12
domination or s&d is where its at. I haven't played for a while now but.
Murderer
Posted 01:54pm 29/4/12
bf3 all teh way
trog
Posted 05:48pm 29/4/12
Had some OK games today. Man its lame with no proper servers; keep getting disconnected and migrated to a new host, or connected to a US server, wtf. When it works gameplay is pretty good but it's so f*****g lame when something like that happens and interrupts or ruins the flow of the game. Getting the hang of all the perks etc.

Two obvious cheats - so lame there's no normal server moderation stuff. No callvoting, wtf? You just end up with asshats laughing because they're spoiling the game for others and a bunch of people abusing them. No way to get their uniqueID or report them or anything?
deeper
Posted 10:41pm 29/4/12
Yeah you can get their id and report them, but as far as I know nothing gets done about it ~

As far as callvoting, I'm not sure I'd be a fan of it because I would of been voting off many games as being a "cheat" if it existed.

Domination is my favourite gamemode - there's also another one that I recently found which is pretty cool - I forget the name of it but there's one flag and whichever team controls it for the longest wins. It ends up being a bit of a run away from the zerg style battle. You can find it by reading the description of the game mode.

I haven't played mw3 much, but I played a lot of mw2. It's not completely horrible.

edit: some of the guns in the game are standout compared to others, I find it a bit imbalanced in that regard

last edited by deeper at 22:41:29 29/Apr/12
Whoop
Posted 01:36am 30/4/12
I'm glad for the lack of callvote. Back in quake 3 you'd constantly have a sever full of retards vote you off just so one of their friends could join. It's a public server ffs, if you want to play with mates, go rent a private server.

Reporting tool: apparently Has anyone here ever actually used this thing? I've heard people talking about it but reading the EULA, it's REALLY fishy about how they collect certain information about you.
trog
Posted 10:26am 30/4/12
I agree callvote is s*** generally, but in the absence of any other transparent and effective tool to moderate servers... also being voted off so friends could join seems like less of a big deal with the lobby system. After I figured out how it worked so I could play with a mate it seemed pretty effective; we were always dumped on the same team and didn't have to worry about not getting into a game.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised with the experience. I'd never buy the game because of the server issues of course, but it was quite fun once I figured out how to play and got my head around the perk system. I felt like I was getting pwned at the start when I didn't have any unlocks; I feel like after I got to level 20-30 and got some "better" weapons I was doing better, but that might just be imaginary and it was really just more experience and knowing the levels.

The whole game reeks of console noobification. The perk selection/class customisation interface is f*****g terrible for something on a PC; it's not intuitive at all until you realise that you're expected to use it like a console muppet that can has limited accessibility to menus. The lobby system and game selection stuff is pretty decent, except for the stuff I mentioned above, but I simply don't believe you can't have that AND a normal dedicated server system at the same time (like L4D does).

The maps are interesting; definitely mostly focused on FFA-style gameplay - again I assume for noobs/console noobs so they can just run around and always get frags. They're well designed to stop camping and stop particular areas from becoming massive power nexuses, but I felt that made the game too chaotic with not enough give and take. I guess it stops one team constantly stomping the other - it has more of a Quake feel than a tacshooter feel because of it (which you'd think I'd like, but I don't really).

Had a few pretty fun rounds though (when I wasn't getting hacked on or on a laggy server or just generally getting dominated by pros). Would play again, if it was free. I might pick it up if its on a $5 sale but I really want to upgrade my PC so I can give BF3 a go.
Whoop
Posted 06:58pm 30/4/12
You do know that there are dedicated servers for mw3 right? There's a server browser in there (never used it) but those games aren't ranked. Once you hit level 80 though, with all the guns unlocked, just go nuts on a dedicated server.

Least I think they're dedicated?

The maps are a clusterf***. They're cluttered with crap and you can camp quite easily and one team can control an entire half of a map if you know how. I love the newbs/idiots who come in to a game and claim it's impossible to spawn camp. It's quite possible and easy to do. Once you get used to them, you'll see where all the tent pitchers set up shop (or view some of my theatre videos, I camp like a whore).
trog
Posted 07:42pm 30/4/12

Least I think they're dedicated?
Yeh, you can run them but as you say they're unranked - and noone plays on unranked servers, basically. I haven't checked them out directly but (judging from how weaksauce the client functionality is) there isn't even then the opportunity to use it for proper clan matches.
mmmm. I didn't play it enough to talk authoritatively on it I guess, and only with one other person. I guess if you had 3-4 people working together you might be able to lock it down a bit more effectively.

I didn't get to try any of the round-based modes (...I assume there are some), but I would love to see that game with ET-style revives. Even if its a "Last stand"-esque perk I think that would add an interesting dimension. Otherwise it's just a fairly bland TDM alternative with fairly limited depth.
Whoop
Posted 07:49pm 30/4/12
Oh and I wasn't calling you a newb/idiot btw. I meant those people who come into the server and no matter how hard you try to explain it to them, they just won't believe it's possible. It does require that the whole team works as one though (rarely happens on pub).

Even though they're unranked, if you want to have a good game full of fun you can still run private servers (still p2p host though) and just play with your friends, password protect the server and no one else can get in. I think the host can define custom classes to use so I don't know whether it matters if each player has unlocked a particular gun or not.

It's quite fun to do this when you organise a particular game type. We used to have knife only private games in mw2, something I sort of miss after leaving the clan I was in for a short while. The other night was a pretty good pub match, almost everyone was shielding and RPG'ing but we were all in one tiny room. Think quake 3 + test_bigbox and you've got what we were doing :)
trog
Posted 07:54pm 30/4/12
Yeh, I'd like to play it a bit more, but I just checked the cost. It's on sale for US$69.95. Haha, those f*****g clowns.
Whoop
Posted 08:34pm 30/4/12
It's like crack, you'll get a midnight craving and in a moment of weakness (or possibly an alcohol induced momentary lapse of concentration) you'll buy it.
deeper
Posted 08:42pm 30/4/12
Team Defender is the game mode I was talking about earlier but couldn't name. Talking about getting owned early trog, what do you expect being a noob tbh. But I definetly acknowledge that some of the guns are more overpowered than others. Most of the guns however have situational use. Some are more overpowered at range, some moreso close quarters etc - generally speaking. I don't play it much but I'll send you my steam thing on facebook to add for whatever games in the future I guess.

last edited by deeper at 20:42:09 30/Apr/12
WirlWind
Posted 09:39am 01/5/12
Guys, if you're considering buying this and you are even remotely motion sick, don't spend the money.

I'm someone who doesn't get motion sick at all, yet I can't play this for more than an hour before I start getting blurred vision and a migraine + feel sick.

And if you must try, buy it from a key site for $20 so you don't feel quite as gypped.
DeadlyDav0
Posted 09:44am 01/5/12

Isnt FOV the issue here? Pretty sure you can change the FOV with a 3rd party program. S***** thats the only method but better some fix than no fix. I used something for MW2 and it worked fine, i assume there's one for MW3.
WirlWind
Posted 10:37am 06/5/12
Dav, you can, but from what I heard it causes a lot of issues with crashing / game looking odd etc.

Just not worth the effort for what is essentially every CoD game I've played in the past 5 years or so.

Atleast black ops felt different, I think I'm gonna have to alternate years. Just started playing BlOps again and it's actually pretty fun still.
trog
Posted 11:10am 06/5/12
I will never pay for a game - or any software - that is marked up that much in Australia. That said I think it is still too expensive even to buy in the US region - I'd drop $10 to get it but I don't want it that much.