shark week, all week
Depth is one of the best games you may have never heard of, and we've gone hands-on with it and had a chance to chat to the team behind it. Check out both features!
inquiring minds
We chat with friend of the site Cameron Lee about Dragon Age Inquisition's endgame content, theorycrafting, tactical play and much more. Click here for our interview!
welcome to you're doom
AusGamers got a 15-minute live sneak-peek at the totally reimagined Doom at this year's QuakeCon. Read our in-depth first-look impressions right here!
highway to the danger zone
We caught up with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's game director, Konrad Tomaszkiewicz, to talk all things Witcher, monsters and open-world! Click here!
Post by Dan @ 01:52pm 23/04/12 | 20 Comments
It has been strongly rumoured for quite some time that the next installment in Activision's absurdly successful Call of Duty franchise is likely to be a sequel to 2010's Black Ops, launching in the 2012 holiday season, but it looks like we'll be finding out for sure in a week or so as the official Call of Duty website has started a countdown.

Among a series of images -- blatantly Black Ops-ish in appearance -- that will presumably be gradually unlocked over the course of the next week, visitors to the site are encouraged to tune in to the NBA playoffs on the evening of May 1st for the "World Reveal".

We'll be sure to let you know more about it as soon as we do.

step
Posted 01:59pm 23/4/12
God I hope they don't continue the downward trend of releasing an even worse game than before. I really could do with a decent fps to play.

I wonder if they'll have stupid achievements like prone dive through a window!
Randy Cambell
Posted 02:38pm 23/4/12
Dnt care about cod no more! Thay lost me at black opps with out dated game engine! Its just a pure money makin DLC rip off.
I would get more kicks out of a run through of duke nukem forever again!
alandalf
Posted 03:09pm 23/4/12
Prediction:
2 *NEW* guns.
3 *NEW* maps.
Mild shader increase
*NEW* zombie mode.
Singleplayer playtime of 3 hours, 20 minutes.

Brand new game for $80? Sounds legit.
Soapy
Posted 05:04pm 23/4/12
There's always haters.

My bro and I loved black ops, personally I think its the best COD release yet. Can't wait for blops 2!
fpot
Posted 09:32am 24/4/12
The Call of Duty games are so terrible that I know they are terrible without ever playing a single minute of them.

edit: ^ wtf, my Call of Duty just got autolinked by viglink what the f*** is that?
skythra
Posted 09:42am 24/4/12
Dnt care about cod no(grammar) more! Thay lost me at black opps with (grammar) out dated game engine! Its just a pure money makin', DLC rip off.

F-

Respect was lost.
trog
Posted 09:37am 24/4/12
Prediction:2 *NEW* guns.3 *NEW* maps.Mild shader increase*NEW* zombie mode.Singleplayer playtime of 3 hours, 20 minutes.Brand new game for $80? Sounds legit.
and it will still do $1b worth of sales
DeadlyDav0
Posted 09:38am 24/4/12
MP was s***, SP was average at best.
paveway
Posted 12:07pm 24/4/12
i didn't mind black ops, it was the first COD i have played since call of duty 4(the best call of duty release to date)

battlefield 3 is where it is at now i'm sorry to say
badfunkstripe
Posted 01:07pm 24/4/12
I hope this is good. However I will not buy it if it doesn't have proper dedicated servers.

I found MW3 MP horrible. I attribute a lot of that to being the way the match making latency alters how people play.

80 bucks for the SP wasn't worth it. Whenfor MP I had something stupid like 600 hours in COD4. 300 Hours in WAW, 130hrs MW2, 160hrs Blops and 6hrs in MW3. That's telling enough of the diminishing returns of the series and to how much worse / dated MW3 was.

I like Black Ops though. It was fast and responsive after MW2s match making. Which didn't seem as bad compared to MW3s. Although maybe i'm more fickle. Although I think if MW2 had dedicated servers and player numbers similar to COD4 and Blops it'd have been a better game.

They desperately need to shake the series up though. The game engine is looking so dated now that it's ugly.

At one bit in the MW3 SP there's just a flat wall with a texture of trees to represent a forrest at the edge of the map. Wtf? Coming out in a year with Crysis 2 and BF3, it just makes it look even more dated.

In summary, I hope Black Ops significantly improves the engine or has a new one. (Which it won't.)
And I won't buy it unless it has proper dedicated servers and non of that match making IWnet crap.

Oh and someone mentioned BF3. I'm currently over that. I wanted to love it but I just didn't. From BF2 and even the much maligned BC2, DICE simply dropped the ball on game play and map design. It just doesn't have the long lasting appeal of those other games. I could go into a long explanation, but i'll save that for another day. I still have like 200+ hours in it though and play due to lack of anything else.
DeadlyDav0
Posted 01:11pm 24/4/12
300hrs WAW hey. You and me alike. Oh the memories.
arkter
Posted 02:22pm 24/4/12
black ops, personally I think its the best COD release yet.

Timmeh
Posted 05:34pm 24/4/12
Im the same I have always liked the COD series but only the trey arch games did it for me, after COD4.

I clocked around 400 Hours on COD4, 300 on W@W, 300 on MW2, 500 on Bops and 150 on MW3.
We need dedicated servers for PC. The approach of "its to stop hackers" is bulls***, at least with dedicated you can ban his arse.
paveway
Posted 07:00pm 24/4/12
However I will not buy it if it doesn't have proper dedicated servers.

does this even need to be said?

proper dedicated servers are a thing of the past for this series
no you hang up
Posted 07:08pm 24/4/12
great news. only video game i play these days is cod whatever.
Whoop
Posted 07:14pm 24/4/12

I've got you beat. http://beta.xfire.com/users/samwhat/games/ 1261 hours in cod 4, and that's just the times I also had xfire running which was probably only half the time I was actually playing because at some point cod4 and xfire stopped playing nice together.
Eorl
Posted 07:28pm 24/4/12
I actually enjoyed the first Black Ops. It was different, and had bots for once as well. Overall it felt a bit different to the normal COD franchise, and the SP campaign was great up until the end with the "America wins we are the best" ending.
DeadlyDav0
Posted 09:31pm 24/4/12
Bots lol, really eorl?
Timmeh
Posted 09:34pm 24/4/12

nice

My steam times all got reset in an update a while ago,
I had about 1700 clocked on CS:S and about the same on 1.6.
Outlaw